Author Topic: New Ketron EVM module  (Read 5568 times)

Offline BogdanH

New Ketron EVM module
« on: January 25, 2024, 10:02:05 AM »
I know it's not about Yamaha, but I think it might be interesting for some:
Event in a Box.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline usaraiya

Re: New Ketron EVM module
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 12:44:35 PM »

Offline RoyB

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:49:00 PM »
This is an interesting new product. I reckon it's the nearest any of the arranger manufacturers have come so far in providing a software-type arranger product.

Connect a touchscreen monitor and a MIDI keyboard to the EVM, and you have put together a complete arranger.

PDF with more information available here:-
https://www.ketron.it/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/3-Ante-ING-Event-EVM-10-alta_BASSA.pdf

Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 12:58:52 PM »
Ketron have always produced module versions of their arrangers. Probably stemmed from an association with midi accordions.
While this could be useful for someone wishing to use a quality midi controller keyboard, or accordion, it’s probably not hugely appealing to the typical Yamaha arranger player who is usually home based, older and wants a very self contained package. I haven’t seen a price for module, but they are usually not that much cheaper than the full arranger package.
Mike

Offline RoyB

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 01:21:12 PM »
This is not just a sound module (Ketron have already marketed the sound module version of the Event). This seems to be effectively the complete functionality of the Event in a box where you add your own interfaces.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 01:23:29 PM by RoyB »
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 01:58:03 PM »
Ketron in the past have always produced fully functional module versions of their arranger family like the Audra, SD3, as well as simpler sound modules. They seem to appear a few years behind the keyboard version. I suppose it’s a way the get an additional return from the development cost of the keyboard.
Yamaha and Korg don’t seem to consider it a worthwhile market. But maybe a nice little niche for the much smaller Ketron company.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 02:42:39 PM »
Yamaha and Korg don’t seem to consider it a worthwhile market. But maybe a nice little niche for the much smaller Ketron company.
Mike

I think that being the only company making such module, is a big advantage (for Ketron) even it's not a product meant for masses.
Yes, for home/hobby playing, we prefer complete keyboard (and physical buttons). But for some musicians mobility is crucial and so (2kg module + 6kg keyboard) can make a difference.

Bogdan

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 03:04:19 PM »
Yes, and another advantage would be the ability to pair it with a very high quality,88 key, weighted keyboard. Then you have the equivalent of a high end CVP at lower cost, and less single weight. Or of course, pair with a midi accordion, which I believe is very popular for Ketron modules.
Mike

Offline RoyB

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 04:19:02 PM »
But a big difference between the EVM and previous sound modules is that the EVM has no user interface. It is essentially software in a box with connectivity ports.  In order to control it  and access its functionalities you need to connect a touchscreen monitor, or you can control it remotely on a tablet or PC.
Roy

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 05:23:24 PM »
...In order to control it  and access its functionalities you need to connect a touchscreen monitor, or you can control it remotely on a tablet or PC.

I don't see that as disadvantage in this case. Should be comfortable enough if some 10" tablet is connected -not to mention that it can be positioned anywhere and at any angle.
I'm not defending this product.. I just think that it has a place on market.

Bogdan

Offline RoyB

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 06:50:47 PM »
I wasn't criticising it, just clarifying something. Personally  I see it as a very interesting and unique product and something which I could consider when the time comes to change or add to my kit.
Roy

Offline mikf

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 07:40:57 PM »
A tablet is probably a big improvement for control over the Audra module which had a tiny screen.
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 07:53:24 PM »
That's pretty cool!

If only Event had warranty product support on the west coast of Canada (since they don't, nobody carries it here. Not our company, not L&M). Alas.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 11:09:19 PM »
Mark, Canada is not an exception. Ketron market coverage is scant at best. Most Ketron keyboards seem to be sold by word of mouth and direct from the rep. in New York. I have never seen them in the uk either. Pity, because it’s an interesting product.
Mike

Offline orangeman

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 03:51:13 AM »
I think this is potentially thrilling for somebody like me living in the Chicago area. I have Yamaha and Korg but if I wanted to experience Ketron, it’s the perfect scenario.

I don’t have space for another arranger, no service centers around here, high price, lots of risk.

But with this….what can go wrong on an arranger? Screen, sliders, buttons, keybed…not an issue.

If something goes wrong, which I highly doubt, even if I had to ship it to Italy, I wouldn’t be thrilled, but it couldn’t possibly be that expensive to ship that little box anywhere. It seems very interesting…provided pricing isn’t too crazy.

Offline ton37

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2024, 05:22:34 AM »
Price about €4000,-  ::)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 02:00:48 PM »
I emailed AJ, the Ketron distributor in the USA, and he says he does not know the price but suspects/guesses that it will be around $2799 and likely available in March 2024.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:02:56 PM by usaraiya »

The following users thanked this post: BogdanH

Online rphillipchuk

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2024, 05:46:48 PM »
Just wondering if I could use my DGX-670 as a Midi Keyboard connected to a 12.9 iPad with the EVM.. Using a 88-Key would be awesome to say the least

RonP
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2024, 07:26:09 PM »
I don't see why not...it should be an astonishing 88-key Ketron Arranger at a very reasonable price!

:)

Uday

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2024, 08:44:53 PM »
A short impression of how it looks in action  :)
Youtube: EVM

Bogdan

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2024, 12:18:43 AM »
Just wondering if I could use my DGX-670 as a Midi Keyboard connected to a 12.9 iPad with the EVM.. Using a 88-Key would be awesome to say the least

RonP

That might be tricky, since most Master and slave board and module arrangements require 5 pin midi out (DGX only has usb B midi)

But if you purchased a CVP or any 88 keyboard with a standard 5 pin midi out, then yes.

Mark

Online rphillipchuk

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2024, 12:43:00 AM »
Good to know ....
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline Patt22

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2024, 10:33:30 AM »
Hello,

I think they've provided for both MIDI/USB connection modes, since it can be connected via Ethernet to insert it into a keyboard set, read the PDF above carefully... On the first photos or videos available, even at NAMM, the EVm is connected to a piano ( a great potential target ).

What's interesting is that with a full touch interface on an arranger, there are no more problems of wear and tear, no more physical malfunctions of the panel's buttons, LEDs etc., and an interface that can evolve with new features.
And, in my experience on my GBL xg Platinum, touch is so comfortable to use, it's fluid and precise, and I've never made a mistake when calling up a function while playing... ..

On this UVM interface, I'd recommend a touchscreen between 15.6" and 22" to work at ease when searching and programming the device.

There's still the price of the box, but all the EVENT in it!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:43:53 AM by Patt22 »
Genos-mfc10-GroovyBand Live Platinium-VoiceLive3X-DRX15- UI24R- HF SM35 ...

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2024, 06:30:48 PM »
Hello,

I think they've provided for both MIDI/USB connection modes, since it can be connected via Ethernet to insert it into a keyboard set, read the PDF above carefully... On the first photos or videos available, even at NAMM, the EVN is connected to a piano ( a great potential target ).

I *did*. All modules use either 5 pin midi, or you can use USB B, but the DGX670 that RonP has does *not* transmit via USB B cable to another instrument, only to an A port on a PC. We tested over a dozen keyboards at our store for this exact same reason (someone wanted to use their sx900 as a slave module, and an 88 key controller as the master) and the 5 pin midi out keyboards were too pricy for this customer (although the MX88 was only a little bit more than the DGX670, that was his budget cutoff point, plus he really wanted an 88 with built in speakers as well), so we tested the USB B midi out into the USB B midi in of the PSRsx900. *None* of the other keyboards worked this way, *except* the CASIO PXS (not PX) series. Which was kind of funny, since we'd asked Yamaha, Roland, Korg, & Casio if their USB B midi port could be used this way, and they all replied back with "no", but *shockingly*, the Casio PXS's worked anyway.

And yes we did test the DGX670 for this purpose, it didn't transmit via the usb b.

Also the NAMM demo, it's sitting on top of a digital piano. Based on the front lid, it looks like a Casio.

Also lol that typo at the end of page 1: it weighs 2kg, 41 lbs! (2kg is 4.41 lbs, I assume the "4." got cutoff, but it's still quite the typo!
"How much does it weigh?"
"Spec sheet says 41lbs!"
"Well, sheesh, the Genos, Genos 2 and Korg PA5x61 & 76 are all lighter than a module?"
;D
Mark
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:57:57 PM by Amwilburn »

Offline Patt22

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2024, 06:57:55 PM »
Hello,

We'll just have to wait for the EVM release to see if they've incorporated this possibility...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 08:44:39 AM by Patt22 »

Music is a Wave, choose the right Frequency to touch the Soul of those who listen to you ...

Offline RoyB

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2024, 07:23:03 PM »
Isn't Yamaha's MIDI->USB implementation 'non-generic' anyway, and requires installation of the special Yamaha (Steinberg) USB driver on the PC? There is no way that the Ketron EVM could enable the installation of Yamaha's USB driver.

I suppose it's possible (but maybe unlikely) that Ketron could have enabled the EVM to accept the connection of 'generic' USB keyboards (e.g. it specifically mentions you can connect a USB mouse, but it gives no indication whether that extends to USB midi keyboards).

However, I'm guessing it may still be possible to use a DGX-670 with the EVM, but we need to wait for more information to know. The leaflet mentions that it can be controlled remotely from a tablet, laptop or PC. We don't now yet the capabilities of all this. But, if a DGX-670 (or any other USB MIDI keyboard) is connected to a tablet, laptop or PC, it may be possible for that keyboard to control the EVM through the tablet/laptop/PC. We need to wait and see.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:35:07 AM by RoyB »
Roy

Offline konaboy32

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2024, 07:16:42 PM »
that's a lot of money for an arranger keyboard without any buttons, screen or even keyboard.
you can solve some of this with screen and midi keyboard but good luck finding something with enough assignable buttons to do any half-decent performance.

Offline mikf

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2024, 09:34:30 PM »
….that's a lot of money for an arranger without buttons, keys, screen….
I don’t think this module is about cost saving, it might even end up more expensive, it’s whether the set up suits you better…..weight, better keyboard quality, 88 keys, using midi accordion ….
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2024, 09:57:00 PM »
I don’t think this module is about cost saving, it might even end up more expensive, it’s whether the set up suits you better…..weight, better keyboard quality, 88 keys, using midi accordion ….
Mike
True. Funny story? Korg's M3 came in module, 61 key, 76 key and 88 key. They all used the identical module, the 61,76 and 88 just came with a controller with a housing that perfectly fit the module.

The module cost $100 *more* than the 61, despite the fact that the 61 key included the same identical module!

Mark

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2024, 10:48:46 AM »
That might be tricky, since most Master and slave board and module arrangements require 5 pin midi out (DGX only has usb B midi)

But if you purchased a CVP or any 88 keyboard with a standard 5 pin midi out, then yes.

Mark

Hi, I overcame the problem of  not having a standard 5 pin midi out on my FP10 piano.
I bought a Camola Usb midi host box to connect my sx900 to the FP10.
As much as I love my 88 note PA5x, it was a bit of a pain using it to control the sx900. I was forever having to remember to change midi settings on one keyboard or the other, it worked, BUT, nowhere near as straight forward as using a digital piano .
I was regretting having sold my  Kawai ES920 piano that I had been using with the Sx900.
Finally had enough and bought the Roland FP10 piano, cheap, love the piano action , but no 5 pin midi socket.
The Camola box solved all my problems. 😁 I now have my 2 arrangers independent of each , so much easier.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Patt22

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2024, 10:26:51 PM »
Hello,

The EVM is now online at MusicMatos with its description, 1st observation, more than 500 styles on the EVM and more than 600 on the Évent!

https://www.musicmatos.com/6015-arrangeurs-modules-ketron-event-evm.html

Edit: "UVN" changed to "EVM" by overover
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 10:51:01 PM by overover »

Offline Bill

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2024, 09:25:08 AM »
Video showing the module with a Genos 2 - it’s a bit long but he does NOT overplay the sales pitch.  Worth a look if you have the time.

THIS IS THE EVENT X MODULE NOT THE EVM (as pointed out by RoyB )

https://youtu.be/dh2EjTxTcG8

Bill
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 03:02:16 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mikf

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2024, 01:18:15 PM »
Interesting, and he gets the best of both, but the vast majority of us are never going to want it to be that complicated. The improvement seems small for the investment in learning how to optimize, and the complication of operation. Most of us want to just switch on and play, and Yamaha offer that best.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2024, 02:00:52 PM »
Most of us want to just switch on and play, and Yamaha offer that best.

I would say all Arranger (Autocomp) Keyboard Brands is just as easy to power up and play stright out off the box as Yamaha.
But when start deep dive all poosabilities and add modules and such, then it usually gets a bit more complicated until nessesary knowledge and setup is done.
Anyway, both the EVM 'Box' version and the X-Module seem to be a great addon to combine two worlds.
AJ have some good points, and it does not seem to complicated to connect and have lots of fun.  ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: Bill

Offline RoyB

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2024, 02:39:00 PM »
That video is of the Event-X hardware module rather than the Ketron EVM.
Roy

Offline Bill

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2024, 02:53:41 PM »
That video is of the Event-X hardware module rather than the Ketron EVM.

Hi Roy

You are completely right. I had not read all the thread. I awas going to say I must be getting old, but I already know I am - TOO OLD.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 11:40:05 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mikf

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2024, 03:12:06 PM »
With regard to simplicity, I agree all arranger products can be switched on and played. But when you start to combine, and look for the best of all worlds from combinations, that simplicity disappears. Because you then start to combine two systems, and have to rebalance. He actually switched off some voices from each style to get the best combination. And I suspect that was a simple example.
And he also inferred that Yamaha leans towards a very large range of styles that you can just use. Whereas the Ketron  philosophy is to provide less of a range of styles but easier editing and customization. Some prefer that, but it means more knowledge and work.
When you put it all together that might be great for the person who wants that level of control, or whose joy comes from tinkering.
I’m not criticizing the Ketron, or the idea of combining them. But it doesn’t appeal to me.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny