Author Topic: Older Preset Styles on Genos  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Tommarr

Older Preset Styles on Genos
« on: October 19, 2022, 10:35:12 PM »
I believe that there is a document that shows the "history" of PSR / Tyros /other regarding Styles. Meaning, which Styles were carried forward with new generations of keys / technology.

I bought Styles from PSR Forum. Since they are so many, it becomes difficult to organize, audition, etc.
I do not perform. I don't need 200 Ballads, for example. Maybe just some "new" (actually old) Styles to add to Genos' factory sets.

Can someone give me some direction on how to "absord" the older keyboards Styles WHILE AVOIDING lots of dupes?

THanks!

Offline overover

Re: Older Preset Styles on Genos
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 11:53:02 PM »
Hi Tommarr,

First of all, I recommend using the PC (Windows) program "PSR Style Database":
>>> http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/psd/psdmain.htm

With this program you can manage all your style files (even if you have 100,000s of styles). Up to 20 columns with different style parameters can be displayed at the same time. You can e.g. sort for file name, internal style name, date, SFF type, MIDI standard (e.g. XG, GM), tempo, time signature, etc., display duplicates, and much more.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:55:30 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Tommarr

Offline BogdanH

Re: Older Preset Styles on Genos
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
...are so many, it becomes difficult to organize, audition, etc.
 ..I don't need 200 Ballads, for example...
-I hear you!

When I started with Yamaha (not that long ago really), I was amazed by amount of styles available and I downloaded almost everything there was. And same as you, I soon realized I'm losing overview and that having that many, actually became a burden. When I was searching for a style I needed, going trough so many of them, just took too long: many were actually cr*p, many were duplicates (differed in tempo and/or maybe some voice was substituted), etc. So I decided to sort out only "the best" ones -those which I might need for MY kind of music. To keep story short: at the end, I deleted all of them -except few original styles from SX900 and SX600, that are missing on my SX700.
The only thing that I kept, are Yamaha's expansion packs, because they contain many quite distinct styles and (good!) voices.

Keyboard has 400-500 styles built-in, which is more than enough to find something to start with. And once I find a style that's close enough, I need to customize it anyway (so it will sound to my liking). And, depending on type of some new song I wish to learn, it happens quite often, that I decide to make style from scratch.

Sorry for not giving you direct answer.. hopefully I gave you something to think about.
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Tommarr