Author Topic: Headphone Switch  (Read 1943 times)

Headphone Switch
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »
Dear friends,

I'm confused about this useful function.

I have my genos Connected to two powered monitors Yamaha Hs8, that work beautifully.

My problem is when I select the function Headphone Switch, the monitors still play. Same thing if I select Speaker Off: they still play.

I connected the monitors to Genos outputs Main, Left and Right.

My OS version is 2.10, but it used to do the same with previous firmware.

Could you pls help?

Thank you

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Headphone Switch
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »
hello Angelo,

My problem is when I select the function Headphone Switch, the monitors still play. Same thing if I select Speaker Off: they still play.

Headphone and Speaker On/Off options are only meant for on-board output: headphones connected to keyboard and for satellite loudspeakers.
The only way to influence Main/Line out is by using Mixer->Master->Compressor settings -however, that will also influence headphone volume. That is, as far I know, there's no option to quickly turn on/off volume on Main/Line out.
The only solution I see is, use on/off switch on external speakers (not that practical), or you use separate power strip for external speakers (where you can switch on/off both speakers at once). Or you can buy some "mini" mixer (which could also give some other benefits).

Bogdan

PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 12:53:59 PM »
I have never tried this, but have you tried Menu > Line Out and deselecting all the parts?

Could be a bit of a pain when there are multiple pages, but it depends how often you need to do this I suppose
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 12:55:35 PM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 08:08:01 PM »
Dear friends,

I'm confused about this useful function.

I have my genos Connected to two powered monitors Yamaha Hs8, that work beautifully.

I connected the monitors to Genos outputs Main, Left and Right.

My OS version is 2.10, but it used to do the same with previous firmware.

Could you pls help?

Thank you

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

Tyros5 is the only model that would work for what you are trying to achieve. That's because the T5 doesn't have an 8-pin connector to connect the Tyros speaker system. Instead, the TRS-MS05 speaker system connects to the regular Line Out Main L/R jacks, and THESE are switched on the T5 via the Headphone Switch feature).

With all PSR-S/SX/E/EW models that have the Headphone Switch function, as well as Tyros1-4 and Genos, this function only affects the internal speakers or the TRS-MS or GNS-MS speaker system connected to the 8-pin terminal, as already mentioned by Bogdan.

By the way, as far as I know, DerekA's suggestion would NOT work, because if you route certain (or all) parts to Sub Outs in the Line Out display, not only will those parts be removed from the Main Outs, but they will no longer be audible through headphones. As far as I know, the headphone output always has the same signal as the Main Outs.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 10:21:40 PM »
Dear Bogdan, Derek and Chris,

thank you for your clear replies.

Now I got the explanation: the function does not work with external monitors.

The reason I guessed I was doing something wrong, is because before Genos I had many Korg, where the Main outputs would go automatically off any time you would plug the headphone in.

Anyway....

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.