Author Topic: Keyboard & Exernal speakers  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Duurduur

Keyboard & Exernal speakers
« on: October 16, 2022, 09:52:32 PM »
I have a PSR E463 and have connected powered external speakers for a better sound. So far so good. But is there an option or workaround to use internal and external together?

I'm thinking about buying a PSR E473 if it's possible there. And not only for that but the better sound and extra features.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Ruud

Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Online overover

Re: Keyboard & Exernal speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 02:11:32 AM »
Hi Ruud,

The E463 only has a combined Phones/Output jack. When connecting a plug to this jack, the internal speakers are always switched off automatically.

The E473 has separate Output R/L jacks in addition to the Phones jack. When using the Output jacks, the internal speakers are of course NOT switched off. The E473 also offers the option under "Function > Speaker" to set the behavior of the internal speakers:

1 (HP switch): When headphones are connected, audio is output from the headphones but not the internal speakers. When headphones are not connected, audio is output from the internal speakers.
2 (SP On): Internal speakers are always On
3 (SP Off): Internal speakers are always Off

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2022, 09:51:44 AM »
Thanks for your answer. If I understand you well that on the E473 there is an option to switch the internal speakers on or off. And have sound on the keyboard and external speakers at the same time. That's a great option. That means this is what I'm looking for.

regards Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 02:24:36 PM »
Thanks for your answer. If I understand you well that on the E473 there is an option to switch the internal speakers on or off. And have sound on the keyboard and external speakers at the same time. That's a great option. That means this is what I'm looking for.

regards Ruud

Yes, this is correct, Ruud.

By the way, newer PSR-S, SX and Tyros models as well as Genos also have this "3-option" Headphone Switch function.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
The 3-option" Headphone Switch function is not important for me because when I use my headphone I never need speakers.
The option to use internal and external speakers at the same time is the most important for me.
Now I hope my wife will buy me the E473 as a birthday present in november.

Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 01:42:04 AM »
There is good news and bad news. The good news is when working with just an external sound/PA system via the headphone output is you get to hear what the audience is hearing, thereby allowing you to set the EQs and volume level on the fly if something doesn't sound just right.

The bad news is if you were able to use both the internal sound system and an external system at the same time, it is likely that if the external system were to go awry for some reason, you would not know it because you were concentrating on those internal speakers, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the audiences and ADs would hear it.

The simple solution is to purchase a vertical array, external, sound system, such as the Bose Compact, which provides outstanding sound quality, a 210 degree sound array, and you hear exactly what the audience hears. No monitor needed! Yes, the Bose is expensive, but it is well worth the expense.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 12:04:39 PM »
Maybe you are right about it but I have no audience rather than my wife. I like the sound of my powered speakers but they are on the floor and I want some sound directly to my ears to 'feel' the sound.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463