Author Topic: Savings songs as multitrack audio files  (Read 1900 times)

Offline musicteach

Savings songs as multitrack audio files
« on: October 25, 2022, 12:42:58 PM »
I am sure this has been discussed, but I am having difficulty figuring it out. 
I would like to save songs so each instrument is a separate .wav file.  Then I can mix the instruments in my DAW Logic.  I use the genos to make accompaniment tracks for songs I write, and sometimes I have trouble getting the vocals to sit nicely in the mix.  Having the bass, drums, guitar etc, each be a separate track would allow me to mix the song better.

What is the best approach for this, or can anyone point me towards a relevant discussion thread?  I am trying to record each track as an audio recording in the genos, but then there are sync issues since the recordings don't start exactly at the same moment.

Re: Savings songs as multitrack audio files
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 07:11:58 AM »
Quickest and easiest is to record the tune as Midi on the Genos. Then select and play one midi track at a time and record to Daw.

Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline musicteach

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 08:12:02 AM »
I've tried recording to midi, and then playing the tracks one at a time.  But the tracks don't sync correctly because I am hitting record on the DAW and then play on the Genos, and the timing isn't exact. 

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:52:03 AM »
Your DAW should allow you to trim off the start of the audio track to make them all line up properly.

Offline RoyB

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:27:30 AM »
I now produce most of my recordings by converting each midi channel to individual wav files.

I did this video a few years ago to illustrate the process
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GiYYT9KsK1tv9Bc7pWYp4Gc6pTo-cH11/view?usp=sharing

Unless you can find someway  of semi-automating the process, it can be a long-winded process; and one of the problems to overcome is (as you have found out) getting all the wav files in sync.

So, my solution is:-
(1) Transfer your midi song recording to PC;

(2) Convert the midi file to Type 1 (you can Use MixMaster to do this, or 'gn1to0' which is a freeware utility from gnmidi.com);

(3) Produce individual 'solo' midi files for each midi channel/track in your Type 1 midi file - 'midimutt' from gnmidi.com can do this, but it is a DOS command line utility (costing 18 Euros), so you need to be familiar with using command line utilities;

(4) Use midi2wav (from midi2wav.com) to record a wav file from each solo midi file. This costs about $30, can do all the files in a batch process and produces perfectly synchronised wav recordings.

Sounds like a lot of messing about, but once you get the routines sorted it can be done quite easily, and the biggest time (recording the wav files) can be left unattended.

I also have a Roland FA08 workstation, and it has the rather unique feature of being able to automatically produce individual wav files for each midi track in midi files recorded on the FA08.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline musicteach

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 11:57:58 AM »
Recording audio into a DAW doesn't seem to work for me. For example, some midi parts are silent until the chorus, so there is no signal at the beginning of the track so it is impossible to just clip off the beginning and line the tracks up.  I guess I could put a sound right at the beginning of each track, as a marker, but this seems to be a very laborious work around.

It seems like the only solution is what Roy posted: taking the midi from the DAW and "printing" it with the Genos sounds.

This is too complicated a process for me, so I will probably have to stick to exporting the full arrangement tracks from the Genos.

thersippos

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 06:54:44 PM »
I am trying to understand how I could record my multitrack into seperate wavs for each channel. Why Yamaha doesnt provide an update so you can easily record each channel (instrument) into seperate audio files, so you can mix them on a DAW after?

I am new on this and I have a Genos and I dont get the process with MixMaster.

So lets say I record my MIDI multitrack. Then I can get that file into my USB and trnsfer it on my pc. After that I can record each on the channels into separate audio files? And lets say I wanted to do that, how MixMaster or even a DAW can reproduce the exact sound with GENOS? Because I want to have the exact sound I get from genos for each instrument. The way I get it, when you have midi, then each track will sound differently on your DAW because you have generic midi, or VSTs or whatever. How can I have the same instrument sound on my PC using midi files from my GENOS?

I know ,y question sounds weird but what I want to achieve is just get each **** track from my song (each instrument) on a different file so I can do the whole post process on my PC. Of course I could start recording each channel seperate, but its almost impossible to sync them after.

Offline musicteach

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 06:42:43 PM »
I have done some reading on this topic, and I believe you have to get the midi into your DAW (which is easy).  You route the midi back into the Genos and have the Genos render it.  I tried this with Logic on my Mac, and after about 30 minutes of tinkering I gave up.  I agree, it would be nice if Yamaha could make an update allowing one to render to .wav in a way that the flies were synced. 

One painful work around is to render each track with a count-in.  Then they can be synced on a DAW because those clicks at the beginning do allow you to be very precise in syncing.  But the whole process is quite time-consuming.