Author Topic: Hi Everybody - new to the Forum, from Wales, UK!  (Read 2320 times)

Offline technobob

Hi Everybody - new to the Forum, from Wales, UK!
« on: October 13, 2022, 10:16:58 PM »
As the title says, I'm new to the forum - I'm looking to spending quite some time here, searching, reading and asking questions about all sorts of things surrounding my new (used!) Genos :)

Having already read quite a few posts in the forum over the last few weeks, I have been immediately taken aback by the amount and scope of help offered by members old and new here! Also, the general "tone" of the forum is one of support and a feeling of comradery - I have joined many forums over the years, all to do with musical instruments, but have either not partaken in conversations or have left the forum entirely, due to the attitudes of the forum members and moderators! Not so here :)

Quick bio - 58, Welsh, worked in IT most of my working life, trained as a recording studio engineer in the late 80s, but jumped ship to IT in the early 90s. Had no formal musical instrument training, but could play a melody by ear quite easily on the piano. This lead to joining a local band as a keyboard player in the early 80s (SC Prophet 5, Yamaha DX, Roland JX3P, not all at the same time, but you name it, I probably owned it!) - we sort of sounded like a cross between The Stranglers, The Cure and New Order!.

Before the band I used a four-track tape machine to do my own music, using various mono synths and drum machines - creating a sort of early "techno"! I really enjoyed the technology more than the song writing and ending up on a music technology university course up in Newcastle upon Tyne. On  the course we would edit tape using razor blades but one day in rolled a computer that eventually did away with the razor blades! I thought to myself that if this was happening in my line of work, then ALL lines of work would eventually go the same way - that's when I  made the jump from music to IT.

As I've aged, I have become less and less interested in music technology and this has lead to an appreciation of playing music, as opposed to sequencing or multi-tracking it on a DAW such as Ableton Live. The amount of time taken to preview sounds, effects and samples etc. just stops the creative juices in their tracks! But my lack of a musical education, learning a REAL instrument,  has always been a stumbling block for me, preventing me from leaving the safety of what I know, DAWs and sequencers :(

So, after a LONG period of quiet contemplation, I've decided to "man-up" and learn to play the keyboard (always wondered what my left hand was for!) and an arranger keyboard fits the bill nicely. Hence the Genos - and so far, after a few weeks, all I can say is "WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS YEARS AGO"!

So, I'm here because I want to learn how to play my keyboard, but more than that, learn how to get as much enjoyment out of it as I can :)

Regards to everyone

Bob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 10:19:05 PM by technobob »

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Hi Everybody - new to the Forum, from Wales, UK!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 10:25:05 PM »
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new Genos keyboard here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing this keyboard.  It would appear you have gained a real appreciation for just sitting and playing your keyboard.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 107,570 song titles in 2,810 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the website’s resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 10:38:07 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Bob!

Thank you for the detailed information about yourself and the kind words about the forum!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 10:47:34 PM »
Welcome Bob, and thanks for your nice words! Yes, we try to help each other as best we can :) I still have my Yamaha PSR-47. Maybe you owned it at some time? All the best from Toril in Trondheim, Norway.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 01:34:56 AM »
Bob - welcome.
Mike

Offline Alistair53

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 02:17:32 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Bob
PSR-SX900

Offline Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 03:27:32 PM »
Hello Bob ;D
You are in the right place.
Regards
Ryszard
A day without making music is a lost day :)
https://psrtutorial.com/perf/ryszard.html