Author Topic: Genos still edges it for me  (Read 1515 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos still edges it for me
« on: October 12, 2022, 04:46:16 PM »
Hi to All

I have tried my hardest to like the Korg Pax 5 and i must admit after seeing better demos it is hard not to like it.
BUT!!!!-------

As much as i like the ability to morph styles and a host of other things it all comes down to the sounds

The piano's sounds better to me than the Genos and Orchestra's and Brass, but SAXES are poor in my view.
Once you have used a little resonance and cutoff with slight reverb the Genos comes alive with the piano sounds
The Korg sound is mellower than the Genos out of the box, but it all comes down to how you set your sound up.
The biggest factor believe it or not is that the Genos Sax department is streets ahead of the Korg. Warmer and more rounded
The Korg Saxes are to sharp and screechy in my opinion

As much as the korg is a good instrument, it's Genos for me at the moment and it edges it every time
The Korg just gives me doubts so i will stay faithful to the Genos.
If Yamaha come out with a new version of the Genos it will blow away all competition so waiting  and being patient is the key for me.
I shall put the Ketron on now and make a cup of tea ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 04:49:03 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

Re: Genos still edges it for me
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 06:23:45 PM »
Hey John :

It is good to hear you are still happy with your Genos. :)

The Ketron / Event looks to be OK and seems to sound very well  ... but ... Audio Styles might be an issue, I guess.

In the past - see Audya5 - Ketron could not "repair " all the Audya5's bugs.

It looks like the Event has a complete new OS. That is all we know now.
The Event's manual is not available yet.
Nobody is aware of the consumer price.

It is much too early to assess the quality of this Italian made device, IMHO.

Best regards, JH

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 06:26:57 PM »
When the Tyros was introduced with audio styles, I never used them for one main reason: You couldn't edit the sounds beyond a very basic level. If Yamaha uses audio sounds or styles in the new Genos, they must include advanced audio editing.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 08:21:40 PM »
Not all real saxes sound the same, so being different does big make it a poor quality voice. There will be people who prefer it.  And I am sure the Ketron allows voice editing and sample loading, so like the Genos the voices can be changed more to your taste.
Obviously you love the Genos, and that’s great because you already own it.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:19:52 PM »
I can tell what a quality sax is and that means nice rounded tones that fits slow records and the likes of baker street
The Pax 5 saxes are under par .
Even the old Technics KN 2000 had nice sounding saxes. Warm sound.
I hate saxes that are harsh and screech with a tinny tone.
The Pax does mainly exel in what Korg does best and that is Piano's and Synths :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:22:18 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox