Author Topic: Harmony/Echo on Genos  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Denn

Harmony/Echo on Genos
« on: January 07, 2023, 12:56:50 AM »
Considering buying a Genos but where is the Harmony/Echo button and where are the DSP/Variation buttons? If I want to change to "Country Trio" and only have the third voice on that, where do I find it. (Easy on my T4.) It is how you get the kbd to play a descant or upper melody when playing with 3 voices.
Kind regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

tyrosman

Re: Harmony/Echo on Genos
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 09:47:40 AM »
hi Den there is a button called Harmony/ appregio

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »
Genos dose all and more that Tyros 4 did. It is a matter of a small learning curve using the touch screen and assigning the easy access buttons so that you can find all your favourite functions quickly.   

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 03:12:10 PM »
Considering buying a Genos but where is the Harmony/Echo button and where are the DSP/Variation buttons? If I want to change to "Country Trio" and only have the third voice on that, where do I find it. (Easy on my T4.) It is how you get the kbd to play a descant or upper melody when playing with 3 voices.
Kind regards, Denn.

It's just as easy on a Genos.

Press Menu to get to Menu1, then KbdHarmony/Arp. Country Trio is the second page down under Type. To set the harmony details, press the cog wheel (bottom right).

To make it easier to get to, you can assign it to one of the buttons on the main screen.

Had you imported a T4 registration with this harmony, the Genos would automatically set it for you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 05:38:01 PM »
It seems the concept of the DSP var button, which toggles a set parameter between two values, does not exist on Geno's.
Genos

Offline rattley

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 12:03:22 AM »
Could you assign a button to these functions you miss???    -charley

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 01:19:46 PM »
You can assign to the rotary on/off button or any of the six assignable buttons.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 04:54:13 PM »
But you still can't assign to dsp var, that option just isn't available on genos
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:41:27 AM »
Rotary speakers are part of DSP settings.

The following users thanked this post: DerekA

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 11:20:58 AM »
Rotary speakers are part of DSP settings.

You are right Eileen. The 'Rotary Speaker' button will affect the fast / slow speed - but the point is, it *only* operates on rotary speaker DSP effects.

On earlier models - e.g. Tyros 5 - every effect program had one parameter marked as the effect variation parameter. (This is quite a different thing from the XG variation effect). In the effect setup you could choose an alternative value for this parameter. Pressing the dedicated DSP VAR button toggled between the 'main' and 'variation' values. While this could be used to switch a rotary from slow to fast, it could also be used with any other effect program for example changing the frequency on a phaser.

That button - and the variation parameter - is not present on Genos, and the function cannot be assigned to anything else.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 05:24:28 PM »
You are right Eileen. The 'Rotary Speaker' button will affect the fast / slow speed - but the point is, it *only* operates on rotary speaker DSP effects.

On earlier models - e.g. Tyros 5 - every effect program had one parameter marked as the effect variation parameter. (This is quite a different thing from the XG variation effect). In the effect setup you could choose an alternative value for this parameter. Pressing the dedicated DSP VAR button toggled between the 'main' and 'variation' values. While this could be used to switch a rotary from slow to fast, it could also be used with any other effect program for example changing the frequency on a phaser.

That button - and the variation parameter - is not present on Genos, and the function cannot be assigned to anything else.

That very limited function (not well known about by most I'd bet  :)) is presumably redundant, since the firmware now permits all
DSP parameters to be selected for editing and saving at will, so a Yamaha-defined Variation partial workaround is no longer required.
If Denn wants to toggle a particular parameter between 2 values one way to do this could be via 2 registrations. Each reg would save the voice with the associated DSP having the different parameter values of choice.
[So the "Variation button" becomes a couple of registration buttons]
John

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 06:08:42 PM »
That very limited function (not well known about by most I'd bet  :)) is presumably redundant, since the firmware now permits all
DSP parameters to be selected for editing and saving at will, so a Yamaha-defined Variation partial workaround is no longer required.
If Denn wants to toggle a particular parameter between 2 values one way to do this could be via 2 registrations. Each reg would save the voice with the associated DSP having the different parameter values of choice.
[So the "Variation button" becomes a couple of registration buttons]
John

Yes, that's true. The ability to save DSP parameter values in a registration came in with the S770 / S970 I think, and is a great improvement over the DSP Var function.
Genos