Author Topic: Yamaha Genos Firware OS 2.13  (Read 11910 times)

Offline Zaurafon

The following users thanked this post: keyboards

genosmusic

Re: Yamaha Genos Firware OS 2.13
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 10:09:34 AM »
[V2.12 to V2.13]
Fixed a problem in which, with firmware version 2.00 or later, the
pitch detection accuracy of Vocal Harmony decreases when the input volume is low

yeah i noticed that years ago
you can simply overide that issue by  increasing the mic level input.

apart from that nothing new.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 12:25:26 PM »
It's been 5 years since its debut. And maybe... yes! Maybe this is Yamaha's last firmware update for Genos.
Will it be Genos OS 3.0 or Genos 2?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 12:29:02 PM by Snicker740 »
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Online vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 04:58:14 PM »
Fixed other problems
Very vague description !
Do we have to find out for ourselves what has been changed ?

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 06:42:04 PM »
Oh well, Yamaha is trying to show their customers one more time that he hasn't forgotten them (yet) and hopes that they will soon start pulling their wallets again for the new launch. The customer can guess what and whether there is/was an actual change and that will always be communicated with their appreciated customers, right, did they? Hopefully not a kind of 'placebo-update'. Apparently  Yamaha means now: all bugs are now repaired!, we did our utmost? Now we can go for the next Genos, please stay with us! It promises something for the future  :-\ ;)
[little sarcasm: off]  ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 07:25:56 PM »
This is a big joke... after a lot of time waiting, after a lot of emails send to Yamaha Europe (which personally I don't think they send our emails to Japan engineers, it's my opinion) they did only this small update?!  :-\ This is embarasing, really! I wait for a long time the OS of PSR-A5000 implemented in Genos too, its Style engine and Portamento parameters (a lot of parameters comparing to Genos), even the editiong of SA2 voices in keyboard for Mono/Poly type...
It's really a joke! Uau...  ;D ;D ;D

PS: What is strange, the jump from 2.11 to 2.13.. in the same time they have updated to 2.12 and then to 2.13 ... why?!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:28:54 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: badpuppa

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 09:12:29 PM »
I must admit , after the Pax 5 and Ketron release , it is like a kick in the teeth!! lol :-\
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Online vlbrgt

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 10:04:50 AM »
I sended an e-mail to Yamaha Benelux (I'm from Belgium) questioning for more details about the updates.
I hope to get a positive reaction.
If any news should arrive I will let it know.
Perhaps more people could ask the same question on different Yamaha locations ?

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Runner4Fun

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
Hi, friends,
CAUTION: be careful with this 2.13-Update.
I just read a posting from today on the German Keyboarderforum site
https://www.keyboarder-forum.de/
which described several malfunctions after installation of update 2.13
After this strange behaviour of his Genos this fellow replaced this 2.13-update by his former backup and all went well again.

The post translated to English:
" Update 2.13 works (all menus are displayed correctly), but after that only the two sequencers (Midi and Audio) worked, means replay. Automatic accompaniment does not switch on via Synchro Start (Start/Stop no red light), Style and Voices remained mute. A repeated update of V2.13 did not bring any change. After restoring the backup (Genos.bup), style and voices were audible again and the auto accompaniment worked again, but ..... I had the feeling that the registrations did not switch on the styles correctly (left part was always switched on). Update v2.11 again, everything works now again."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 11:39:47 AM by Runner4Fun »
Best Regards
Klaus
... with his Genos2

The following users thanked this post: vlbrgt, MadrasGiaguari

genosmusic

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 11:54:39 AM »
Hi, friends,
CAUTION: be careful with this 2.13-Update.
I just read a posting from today on the German Keyboarderforum site
https://www.keyboarder-forum.de/
which described several malfunctions after installation of update 2.13
After this strange behaviour of his Genos this fellow replaced this 2.13-update by his former backup and all went well again.

The post translated to English:
" Update 2.13 works (all menus are displayed correctly), but after that only the two sequencers (Midi and Audio) worked, means replay. Automatic accompaniment does not switch on via Synchro Start (Start/Stop no red light), Style and Voices remained mute. A repeated update of V2.13 did not bring any change. After restoring the backup (Genos.bup), style and voices were audible again and the auto accompaniment worked again, but ..... I had the feeling that the registrations did not switch on the styles correctly (left part was always switched on). Update v2.11 again, everything works now again."

thankyou very much
thank god i didn't upgrade.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
I upgraded my Genos yesterday and have found everything OK. No problems at all.
  Yamaha are doing what they have always done and that is putting something right that was reported as not working properly.

The following users thanked this post: GUILLERMO

Online vlbrgt

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 01:18:32 PM »
Hello Eileen,

What are the changes in this update compared to the previous ?
'Fixed other problems' ? Could you find any ?

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 02:06:45 PM »
Hi Etienne,

I "just for fun" opened the V1.13 Firmware update file (.PRG) with the "7-zip" archive program. Here you can see that, among other things, all internal contents (e.g. Voices, Styles, etc.) were saved again in September 2022. Unfortunately, I did not find any detailed information about the actual changes within the update file, although many ReadMe and Log Text files are included.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 04:51:36 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 05:30:20 PM »
I did not find any major changes, but I always believe in keeping my keyboard up to date.

The following users thanked this post: vlbrgt, GUILLERMO

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 07:37:24 PM »
Hi Eileen
Update perfectly fine with me also.

Yamaha never really explain what other fixes that are are made, only the main one.
Maybe we are not worthy!!! ;D ;) Just Minions :P :-[ :-X :-* :'( :o ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:41:40 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2022, 01:34:00 AM »
I just upgraded to 2.13, and have not noticed any problems so far.

The most recent changes I made are all still there.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Stijn

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
Here are some reactions I read:

Special thanks to Yamaha with the latest 2.13 firmware update. It absolutely corrected all of the vocal harmony issues in the previous firmware versions.

A.R.R.

Had the same issue! Lots of trips to my local shop in Edinburgh with one of the developers Richard Bower, doing videos of the fault & how the fault went away when my Genos was put back to original firmware, Yamaha support contacted me two weeks ago to say they hoped they had sorted my issue with a new firmware that was being tested & it has!  I was told that it was only a very few Genos keyboards that were effected after 2.0. The support team even went to the extreme of getting the same microphones & equipment I used so they could try & emulate the problem; 5 stars to them!

C.F

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline ton37

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
Thank you Stijn for this (positive) feedback from customers! It would be to Yamaha's credit if THEY communicated this to their customers! That would improve their image ... if that would interest them? ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 11:02:53 AM »
Well I think we all know that Yamaha dose listen to genuine information about faults and then dose its very best to rectify them.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 11:45:35 AM »
Hi all,

Is it OK to upgrade directly from v2.11 to v2.13, without upgrading to v2.12 before ?
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline Stijn

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 11:49:10 AM »
Hi all,

Is it OK to upgrade directly from v2.11 to v2.13, without upgrading to v2.12 before ?

Yes, no problem because there has not been a v2.12 download.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 07:02:41 PM »
Quote from: Luluc

That’s what I did, with no problem.

Offline Runner4Fun

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 09:23:13 AM »
Referring to my post #8 above, the described problem with Genos update 2.13 is solved.
The one I mentioned in my message did some strange steps during the installation process of the update on his Genos.
All is fine now. But I think it is better to warn until a problem is solved, isn't it ?
Best Regards
Klaus
... with his Genos2

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 04:38:10 PM »
As far as I see it there is no problem to warn against.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2022, 12:55:36 PM »
Yamaha means now: all bugs are now repaired!
No they're not!! I'm still waiting for an answer for my default Knob/Slider Registration problem to be solved after updating to V2.12 😠!!

I'm never quick to update any program. I let the update exist for at least a few months to see if there are any horror stories  -  and believe me there are plenty!

I love these people who happily update their systems, have no problems, and pretend problems never exist after an update. Believe me, they DO. Anyone running a Microsoft product can tell you the same horror stories. Sadly, Yamaha has now joined the club. Not only does Yamaha Canada NOT have an answer to my Registration problem, they've happily stopped communicating with me. If they're hoping I'll just go away, they may get their wish.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 11:07:29 PM »
Sorry to disagree Lee but I always update my keyboard when the latest update comes out. Have done the same with all Yamaha keyboards I have had, and I can honestly say I have never had a problem with any of them. They do what they say they will.

keynote

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2022, 01:22:12 AM »
I updated to OS 2.13 yesterday and all's well. To try and get a worry-free OS update installation there are a few things to consider. First of all, do a Back Up of the existing settings using the Factory/Backup utility if you're concerned about potential problems. Also, make sure you have a functioning USB stick that's been formatted using the Genos/Menu/Menu2/Utility/Storage/Format tool. Put the GenosSetup.prg file on the root of the USB stick i.e. not within a folder on the USB stick. Better yet, make sure no other files are on the USB drive that you use except the Genos OS update file at the time of installation. If you know the ins and outs of the installation process after the update finishes (is completed) turn off the Genos using the power button and wait at least 15 seconds before powering back on. Hope this helps.

All the best,
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2022, 09:51:21 AM »
Believe me Microsoft updates are worse!!! :)

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2022, 12:46:01 PM »
Sorry to disagree Lee but I always update my keyboard when the latest update comes out. Have done the same with all Yamaha keyboards I have had, and I can honestly say I have never had a problem with any of them. They do what they say they will.
I'm very happy for you Eileen. Sadly, I can't report the same. You've been lucky nothing has ever gone wrong after an update. When you're gigging and the OS is screwed up from an update, you don't care about all those who had no problems. You're lucky we aren't neighbors because you'd be constantly hearing a knock on your door and me saying, "Eileen, I need to borrow your Genos again. I have a gig tonight and my Genos is STILL screwed up from the last update and Yamaha has done nothing about it!! I promise I won't scratch your Genos 🤣."
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 02:19:55 PM »
Are you a 100% sure it was the update that gave you this problem. Have you now updated your OS to the latest to see if this puts things right for you.

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2022, 03:30:37 PM »
Good points, Eileen. I have to assume something is amiss with the 2.12 update. I didn't have any problems with the Knob/Slider assignment failures in the registrations prior to this update. Yamaha Canada hasn't confirmed one way or the other but they too are curious as to why this happened after the 2.12 update. I'm still waiting for a progress report.

I could load 2.13 but I think it's wise to let Yamaha chew on this a bit and see what they recommend. You may be right in that, under their ambiguous header, "Fixed other problems," they may have found a solution. It's an annoyance at the moment but my shows can still go forward. I'll certainly keep everyone posted as to what they say...if anything. I'm not optimistic at the moment, not having heard from them in days!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2022, 03:39:25 PM »
It’s actually not wise, Lee.

You should upgrade to 2.13. If that works, great. If not, go back to the version they DID work.

Your problems are solvable if you want them solved.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2022, 03:52:56 PM »
You may be right Fred. I don't think Yamaha would worry about me updating to 2.13. I just don't want to introduce another variable. Neither you, me, or anyone else on this forum is qualified to second guess what Yamaha wants me to do. They indicated that they've never seen this issue and as long as my Genos still works for now, I'll let them decide if I should update to 2.13.

The latter comment may be a moot point, since Yamaha hasn't responded to my emails in literally days!

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2022, 10:46:32 PM »
Quote from: Lee
They indicated that they've never seen this issue …

I don’t remember the whole history of your problem off the top of my head, but have you tried restoring the Genos to factory settings and then reloading everything after that?

It’s possible some bits got flipped in your Genos in a way that has never happened before in the history of the universe.  Cosmic rays can actually do this to some kinds of memory.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just upgraded to version 2.13 and when I went in to check what version I had after the install it says version 2.1 not 2.13. I have always kept my keyboard up to date before this install. Is 2.1 what shows in Utility/System normal?

Thanks,
Rick D.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 12:10:58 PM by Rick D. »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2022, 12:19:00 PM »
You should see Version 2.13. Make sure you have used the latest update and that no older ones were on the USB stick you have used.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »
Eileen,

It was a clean stick and I downloaded the file right from the Yamaha site.

Everything seems to be working ok.

Rick D.

Online vlbrgt

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2022, 08:40:12 PM »
Hello,

Yesterday I updated to version 2.13. Everything went fine.
Until know I do not have any issue.
All works as before.

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2022, 12:36:40 AM »
I just updated to version 2.13. As far as I can see all went well. But I tried to use a different USB stick and the keyboard just seid Insert media, so I transferred the file to the old one, and all went well. The old one is formatted on Genos, I guess this is important when you use update files.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2022, 12:56:54 AM »
I just updated to version 2.13. As far as I can see all went well. But I tried to use a different USB stick and the keyboard just seid Insert media, so I transferred the file to the old one, and all went well. The old one is formatted on Genos, I guess this is important when you use update files.

Hi Toril,

In principle, it doesn't matter whether a USB stick was formatted directly on the Genos or on the PC. It is particularly important that the format of the stick is "FAT32" (to be checked, e.g. on the PC by right-clicking on icon of the USB stick > Properties). Of course, it never hurts to format a stick directly on the keyboard. ;)

In the meantime, almost all available USB sticks work perfectly with the Genos. From time to time, however, it happens that a USB stick is not recognized as a "Removable Drive" on the PC but as a "Local Disk" or "Local Hard Drive". Such sticks can be used on the Genos, but NOT for Genos firmware updates.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »
Thanks Chris😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2022, 10:00:45 AM »
Hi guys and gals,

Can any of you help with the following problem I am having installing the v213 firmware update, I have been trying to do this for almost a week now with no success.

So far I have formatted four USB sticks on the Genos.

I now need to find the USB stick on my iMac computer but can’t find the USB stick.

Can anyone please tell me how to access a USB stick?

I would be most grateful as it’s driving me nuts.

I have done firmware updates before with no problems but now I’m really stuck.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this post.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 04:08:39 PM »
Hello Trevor,

When you insert a Thumb Drive into a Mac it is supposed to show up on your desktop; usually by the name of the stick.

If it isn't doing that then something is not right with the computer, but I doubt that's the case.

Perhaps your desktop is quite crowded and you are not finding the drive among all the icons.

I could be all wet on this.

Best of luck

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 05:51:29 PM »
Try this, Minkycats.

Connect the USB drive to the Genos and save a registration to it. Make sure it's a distinct name that couldn't possibly exist on your iMac. Remove the USB drive and place it in one of the slots in the iMac. From the root directory, do a search for that file name. I own a PC and know nothing about Mac computers but this is logical to me. It should show up somewhere.

Edit I'm wondering if the USB drive is only formatted with no data, the iMac may not recognize it as a bonafide drive.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 05:52:57 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2022, 01:14:20 AM »
This may be a bit more of an 'advanced' method, but if you go into the Applications folder, then find the Utilities folder within that, you'll find a program called 'Disk Utilities'.  Open (double-click) that, and it should show all 'devices' (disks or volume or things the Mac 'sees' such as hard drives, USB sticks, etc.  -Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Bill

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »
I now need to find the USB stick on my iMac computer but can’t find the USB stick.

Can anyone please tell me how to access a USB stick?

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Hi Trevor

Open the Finder Window an on the left you will see the main selection window.
Click on The "iMAC" under locations
The USB should show as shown in PIC.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2023, 11:00:26 AM »
Hi RONBO. Thanks for your suggestion. The desktop is not cluttered as there are only a few items on it.
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2023, 11:06:06 AM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your input.

Have tried your sugggestion but the USB doesn’t show up as in your pic. Selecting “Locations” just sends me to the iMac hard drive.

It’s driving me mad lol

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your idea. Just can’t make it work anyway with any USB stick

Just so frustrating.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2023, 11:14:33 AM »
Hi Jim

Thanks for your proposed solution to my problem. Haven’t had chance to try this out yet what with New Year celebrations and all that jazz.

I will try it out as soon as possible and let you know the result.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)