Author Topic: New Idea for A New Arranger for the PSR SX series  (Read 4273 times)

New Idea for A New Arranger for the PSR SX series
« on: October 12, 2022, 02:12:00 AM »
Hi there I just thought of a idea if yamaha could make a PSR SX500 it would be a lower priced than the sx600 the voices would be the s910 sound library chipset but the Brass and strings would be stereo and Add HouseKit too. this for example can allow players to spend as little as $699.99 to have a full arranger. Im curious what do you all think about that idea. 8) and a few additional voices would be live concert grand and PunchyChordz
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:38:01 AM by Keyboard Master »

Offline mikf

Re: New Idea for A New Arranger for the PSR SX series
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 03:20:22 AM »
I think you are under the misapprehension that the cost and therefore price is feature driven. Leave out a few features and the price can drop drastically. But it doesn’t work that simply in large corporations.
Mike

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 04:08:08 AM »
I think you are under the misapprehension that the cost and therefore price is feature driven. Leave out a few features and the price can drop drastically. But it doesn’t work that simply in large corporations.
Mike
   I agree with that. the keyboard can have less features but al least have mostly the voices as mentioned. Styles will funtion like usal. as for less features it could have no expansion pack capiblillaty at least that would allow it to sell for $699.99. That is what my best guess is. 8)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 06:57:13 AM »
I would think Yamaha could do this if they wanted to, but it does not seem to be the case that they feel that they need this in their lineup.  Back in the early 1990's, they had a logical progression of PSR-100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600.  And then I think they went to something like the PSR-1000 and perhaps higher-end models (I'm really not sure about the higher end models of that series), and the PSR-500 and 600 would've probably been on the lines of what you are proposing today.  They came out with newer generations, and still had a similar progression in their line-up, though sometimes, the model numbers got a little wonky (for example, as far as I can tell, when there was the PSR-510, there did not appear to be a 610, but there were PSR-1700 and PSR-2700 models around that time which would've more or less taken those "slots".

And a while back, when the "S" series was a newer concept, such as with the original PSR-S700 and PSR-S900, there was, indeed, a PSR-S500 -- something that can cause confusion with the original PSR-500 (no "S") as those are two distinct keyboards from different eras.  But for whatever reason, the "500" series was discontinued years ago and was never really re-instated.  For the main arranger/home keyboards, it goes from the PSR-E400 series (currently the PSR-E473) to the PSR-SX600.

I always felt that this put a gaping hole big enough to drive a truck through in the middle of their line-up.  You're going from a $370 keyboard to one that is currently about $1100 (US dollars).  Adding the PSR-EW series, which is essentially like the E but with 76 keys and a few additional features, helps a little, as the PSR-EW425 (the current EW version of the E473) is a little under $500.  But that still leaves a pretty big gap in the line-up.

I guess Yamaha feels that they have keyboards like the DGX-670 (currently about $850) that help fill in the gap, but of course, that's a little different since it has 88 weighted keys.  It would be cool to see either a PSR-E500 series or a PSR-SX500, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Yamaha at this time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:04:09 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »
I would think Yamaha could do this if they wanted to, but it does not seem to be the case that they feel that they need this in their lineup.  Back in the early 1990's, they had a logical progression of PSR-100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600.  And then I think they went to something like the PSR-1000 and perhaps higher-end models (I'm really not sure about the higher end models of that series), and the PSR-500 and 600 would've probably been on the lines of what you are proposing today.  They came out with newer generations, and still had a similar progression in their line-up, though sometimes, the model numbers got a little wonky (for example, as far as I can tell, when there was the PSR-510, there did not appear to be a 610, but there were PSR-1700 and PSR-2700 models around that time which would've more or less taken those "slots".

And a while back, when the "S" series was a newer concept, such as with the original PSR-S700 and PSR-S900, there was, indeed, a PSR-S500 -- something that can cause confusion with the original PSR-500 (no "S") as those are two distinct keyboards from different eras.  But for whatever reason, the "500" series was discontinued years ago and was never really re-instated.  For the main arranger/home keyboards, it goes from the PSR-E400 series (currently the PSR-E473) to the PSR-SX600.

I always felt that this put a gaping hole big enough to drive a truck through in the middle of their line-up.  You're going from a $370 keyboard to one that is currently about $1100 (US dollars).  Adding the PSR-EW series, which is essentially like the E but with 76 keys and a few additional features, helps a little, as the PSR-EW425 (the current EW version of the E473) is a little under $500.  But that still leaves a pretty big gap in the line-up.

I guess Yamaha feels that they have keyboards like the DGX-670 (currently about $850) that help fill in the gap, but of course, that's a little different since it has 88 weighted keys.  It would be cool to see either a PSR-E500 series or a PSR-SX500, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Yamaha at this time.
I agree with that very cool explaination. I also believe that still there is a gap yamaha can fill in to go between the sx600 and ew425 So psr sx players will have a cheaper option so they can at least have The voices mentioned above along with 4 variations 3 intros 3 endings and a break. basically i was thinking if the do something like this thay can leave out multipads but keep OTS. based on the psr s500 funtionality. That'swhat i prefer.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 09:46:40 AM »
..as for less features it could have no expansion pack capiblillaty at least that would allow it to sell for $699.99.

-but that's one of the features (among others), why some keyboard is classified as "arranger". As it works right now, without expansion pack capability, you wouldn't be able to install custom (additional) voices -and such keyboard wouldn't look as an arranger in my eyes. Actually, the cheapest among Yamaha arrangers (SX600), is already a "suspicious" one, as it has no MIDI connectors.
If we forget about arranger classification and look strictly at functionality that we wish to have, then for up to $600, there are plenty of choices. The one that stands out, is Medeli AKX10, which is actually an SX700 clone. And if that's still too expensive, then you can get it's rebranded version for just under $600:
https://www.thomann.de/intl/thomann_ak_x1100.htm

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 10:07:08 AM »
That’s good point. But also they can still include expansion pack capability or if not then the price can be $599.99

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 01:08:37 PM »
Or they could just drop the price of the SX600, IMO that chassis is way overpriced for what it delivers yet people still buy them...

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »
I think Keyboard Master misread my post. I definitely do not agree that leaving out features saves significant cost. Yamaha has already developed those features so they cost next to nothing to include. The real additional costs are to design, manufacture, market, support and distribute yet another model. Pricing strategy across a product range is about maximizing sales and profits by covering a wide slice of the market, without incurring large additional costs by supporting too many models.
Yamaha obviously thinks they have done that, Genos, SX900, SX600 - then they have their lower priced ranges of EX and EW keyboards - so I would see no interest from then in launching another lower cost model in the SX range.
Mike
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:45:52 PM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »
I agree Mike.
Yamaha have enough different keyboards out there to suit most people's pockets.
  With all todays troubles I think they will all go up in price anyway.

Offline johan

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 04:01:39 PM »
Keyboard Master, you could also take a look at the S670: it does have everything that you mention: housekit, stereo brass and strings, live concert grand, PunchyChorz. I was able to purchase a second hand at a very decent price. I bought it because my SX700 is too heavy for me to carry around and I must say that I was positively impressed with the possibilities of the good old S670.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 04:11:23 PM »
Right, if you consider what is happening on a global level, the (financial) near future will look very different. I suppose that companies have to scratch their heads twice and drastically revise their 'old ingrained productions' in order to 'survive'. In other words: obvious things are becoming less self-evident ... the keyboard industry will also realize that ... and we are first rank to see that? ???
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2022, 12:48:56 AM »
Agreed. As for stereo brass I’m mentioning Megavoice! Brass

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
Hi there I just thought of a idea if yamaha could make a PSR SX500 it would be a lower priced than the sx600 the voices would be the s910 sound library chipset but the Brass and strings would be stereo and Add HouseKit too. this for example can allow players to spend as little as $699.99 to have a full arranger. Im curious what do you all think about that idea. 8) and a few additional voices would be live concert grand and PunchyChordz

That's actually not a bad idea; mikf is right, features don't really cost anything. But what you're basically saying is re-issue an older board for a budget friendly price point.

And not only is it a decent idea, Roland and Korg *are* doing this. EK50, EX50 (why they chose such similar names, I have no idea) Both full arranger boards, semi pro level with no sample expansion. Maybe Yamaha is afraid that price point is already overcrowded? Don't forget Medelli also have 1 at that price (with sample expansion, to boot!).

Mark
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:01:22 AM by Amwilburn »

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 11:17:12 PM »
That's actually not a bad idea; mikf is right, features don't really cost anything. But what you're basically saying is re-issue an older board for a budget friendly price point.

And not only is it a decent idea, Roland and Korg *are* doing this. EK50, EX50 (why they chose such similar names, I have no idea) Both full arranger boards, semi pro level with no sample expansion. Maybe Yamaha is afraid that price point is already overcrowded? Don't forget Medelli also have 1 at that price (with sample expansion, to boot!).

Mark

Mark
  I agree too Mark. And this will let anyone who could not afford an s910 or s750 in the past this will allow them to have those high end sounds at a lower price as mentioned. And like said Add HouseKit and Make all the Megavoice Brass Small and large strings as well as the Super Art! ones all the full Stereo versions like the s770.

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 01:44:22 PM »
Seems simple, ….but it’s not. To market an old model you would have to re-set up supply lines, produce brochures, in fact do almost everything that is required on a new up to date design. And all at lower price. And with a risk of lowering market image if you don’t “tart up” the old design somewhat, so even development isn’t free. Can’t see any savvy Yamaha executive promoting that idea. Non-starter.
Mike