Author Topic: screen visibility when playing in the sun.  (Read 2033 times)

Offline chuckeys123

screen visibility when playing in the sun.
« on: October 11, 2022, 05:19:42 PM »
Was wondering if anybody else has performed in direct sun. The display becomes virtually invisible. Has anyone experienced this, and come up with a solution? It becomes almost impossible to see even if you cup your hand over it!

Offline Fred Smith

Re: screen visibility when playing in the sun.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 09:38:17 PM »
Was wondering if anybody else has performed in direct sun. The display becomes virtually invisible. Has anyone experienced this, and come up with a solution? It becomes almost impossible to see even if you cup your hand over it!

I have two solutions:

1. Don't. If you're playing a gig, insist they provide a canopy for you.
2. If #1 is impossible, the only time I'll do it is with a pre-programmed set list, where I can move from one song (registration) to the next with a simple press of the pedal.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 12:57:56 AM »
When I performed outdoors in the Florida Keys, I always insisted on either a three sided tent/canopy. If they could not provide it, I refused to do the job. Oh, and it must be a dark color. White tents/canopies allowed too much light and made it nearly impossible to see the screen/display.

The only other options were  to bring a large, black, beach umbrella, or construct black cardboard hood that shades the screen. However, the hood does nothing for seeing the button lights.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 03:06:10 PM »
unfortunately, being a band member I am not afforded the luxury of making demands. Compound this by playing a lot of outdoor events in the summer....sigh.....

Online FrankJaco

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 11:16:44 AM »
I have played many times outside in the sun.  I have a ~8 inch square piece of thin slightly flexible black plastic that I slip under the music holder so that it sits about 4 inches above the touchscreen. It works surprisingly well. I seem to recall a few others on the forum came up with better but more elaborate solutions for specific arranger models. My low-tech solution worked so well that I didn't go further. You may want to do a deeper search in the forums, the answer is in there somewhere.

Good Luck!

fj