Author Topic: FGDP-50 does more than drums  (Read 1077 times)

Offline pjd

FGDP-50 does more than drums
« on: September 06, 2023, 07:19:04 PM »
FGDP-50 has a thing called "Session Creator":

https://youtu.be/pVSq1Ct2bHY

A "Session" is like a small-scale style with one INTRO, one ENDING, and four MAIN parts. A Session has a Drum part, a BASS part and a few OTHER parts (e.g., guitar, synth). There are 23 (?) preset Sessions.

I didn't see a way to load new Sessions. Seems like a natural feature to want. I didn't see a way to change chords, etc., so maybe everything is pre-canned, including the phrases?

Not likely to buy one, but it could be fun -- pj
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 10:33:09 PM by pjd »

Offline rattley

Re: FGDP-50 does more than drums
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 11:33:14 PM »
Hello

Silly me thought Yamaha was announcing the new Genos yesterday.  They did announce the  FGDP-50 .  I pre-ordered one.   It looks like fun. -charley

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 09:48:58 PM »
Hi PJD

I think that it does not change chords.I have only looked once at this .
You put a wave file in via USB, play or record to it.
It would be great for Cubase as you could start with perfecting small two to 4 bar lengths,practice fills etc and cut and paste them to make a drum track.
If you learn the fingerpads, then you can do more things on the fly.
A bit of practice you can become a Keith Moon, Ginger Baker or a Buddy Rich ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:51:07 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 12:59:34 PM »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
I would think that this product is really aimed at people who don't have arrangers rather than people who do.
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 04:37:55 PM »
That Akai is really a repeat machine with small keys which would annoy me.

I do think that the Yamaha drum machine is great because you can integrate that with the likes of Cubase and create drum tracks which could be great alternatives in styles or if you are mult-layering. Great also for a tight space with a band. Instant drums after the learn process.
All songs need that little difference that makes them individual.The Yamaha can also play sounds and you have access to multipads then.
If you go for a small keyboard, make sure you get full sized keys, unless you have ultra slim fingers. Small keys are just awful IMO.

Ok you can program drums on the Genos , but the way the pads are layed out it it is better for finger drumming.
It is also portable  :)and you could program drums to a laptop  anywhere or just the machine itself.
I think this device will be a winner :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 04:40:02 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 06:38:05 PM »
This product walkthrough is pretty informative:

https://youtu.be/vSsVidfC23E

I agree with John -- the pad layout is a better ergonomic design than the usual 4x2 or 4x4 matrix layout.

-- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 07:13:01 PM »
I've been chasing around the on-line FGDP-50 User Guide for 30 minutes and still don't know how to create a Session-like thingy using the colored pads.

Yamaha had better release a proper PDF manual. This on-line FGDP-50 User Guide is like the botched documentation for the SHS-500. Somebody probably did a quick translation of some engineer's HTML from Japanese. It's a tech writer's nightmare!!!

Thought it would be cool to make a stand-alone sample/loop-based performance...

-- pj