Author Topic: Used Yamaha Genos Price  (Read 2064 times)

Mike2

Used Yamaha Genos Price
« on: October 04, 2022, 08:00:50 PM »
I noticed on Ebay, there are a few Used Genos keyboards for sale. The price range are $5000, $4900, $4500, and a low of $4300. I was expecting maybe, $3800. Do these prices reflect trading in for a new Keyboard. Any opinions? Thanks..

Re: Used Yamaha Genos Price
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:22:40 PM »
I assume those are American dollars? The one thing that would be helpful is if everyone added their country of origin to their signature. Looking at the email addresses often doesn't work and is just another exploration exercise 😬.

The prices are fairly high. Those people think they're still in the real estate boom and that potential buyers will engage in a bidding war 🤣! It also depends on the age of the keyboard. If they were bought in the last year or so, they may get what they're asking. It would be interesting to know.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Stubby

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 02:35:39 AM »
It also depends on the age of the keyboard. If they were bought in the last year or so, they may get what they're asking. It would be interesting to know.

Hi Lee -- I'm not disputing what you have said but am curious about why the age of the keyboard makes a difference in the sales price.  Is it related to wear, visual aging or damage or scratches on the case? Or are there other factors to consider regarding sales price?  I'm not interesting at all in selling mine until the next Genos is announced but would like to be ready.  I admit, I suffer from new gear acquisition syndrome!

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 04:05:39 AM »
Selling a keyboard is no different to selling anything. Of course age, condition matter. But at the end of the day it sells for what someone is prepared to pay. And these prices on eBay are not necessarily what someone ends up paying.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
... it sells for what someone is prepared to pay.
-this!

If product is scarce, then one just need to accept the fact (pricing). But arranger keyboards aren't such products and so, normal "used market" applies.
Ok, few years old arranger can still be as new (if not abused) and when selling, owner only sees that side -especially if keyboard wasn't used much. I can understand, that nobody would like to lose too much money at selling. But fact is, it is not new. For example, when buying expensive item, every day of warranty counts. And there are other things to consider (return option, etc.), so buyer should know what's important for him and how desperate/patient he is.

I'm not looking for Genos, so just my opinion (if worth). Price for used Genos should be below $4000... closer to $3500 actually. Some might say "but new Genos is almost $6000"... -way overpriced, in my opinion. The thing is, for about $4500, one can get brand new latest Korg Pa5x. Is Yamaha's 5 years old model better? And here, everyone must decide for himself.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline DerekA

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
To answer your original question OP - A dealer would offer a trade-in value that's quite a bit less than the price you'd pay for the same used keyboard on the open market. They need to make their money on the deal someplace, which is in the markup between what they paid you, and what they sell it for.
Genos

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 11:04:08 AM »
Hi :

For the time being the average dealer selling price for a 2nd hand Genos in The Netherlands :

Euro 3.000, --.
Euro 3.500,-- ( incl. stand and speaker set  ).

1 Euro = approx. 1 US$

Regards, JH
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:22:15 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 12:05:33 PM »
Hi Lee -- I'm not disputing what you have said but am curious about why the age of the keyboard makes a difference in the sales price.  Is it related to wear, visual aging or damage or scratches on the case? Or are there other factors to consider regarding sales price?  I'm not interesting at all in selling mine until the next Genos is announced but would like to be ready.  I admit, I suffer from new gear acquisition syndrome!
Hi Stubby. You're right about the age of the Genos only being relevant sometimes. If someone bought theirs in 2017 and it sat under a dust cover in the den, only to be played once or twice a week, it will look factory fresh today and command the best price. My Genos has been well played for five years, which means the buttons and keybed have been through some rigorous tests. Mine has a factory blemish and now a broken Sync/Start button, which further reduces its value. So, I guess age can have an affect on the price but not always 😁.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 01:54:00 PM »
It’s just common sense, if there are two Genos for sale, condition and price appear similar but one is 6 months old and one is 3 years old - which would you choose.