Author Topic: Vocal Harmonies  (Read 1688 times)

Offline faddario

Vocal Harmonies
« on: October 03, 2022, 09:15:53 PM »
I have a vocal harmony set for one part of a song. I want to change it to a different harmony for another part of the song. Is there a way to do that with just "one touch?"

Offline DrakeM

Re: Vocal Harmonies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 09:35:30 PM »
Hi Frank

Yes you can. It's an old Indian trick that Don Mason told me about a long time ago. I use it with every song I perform.

You set up the two different VH settings into a registration file. Sometimes I use as many as 3 different VH setting to do a song.

For each registration file that I set up, I put slot #7 for my vocal solo set up and #8 is set up with the backup harmony. You can watch any of my YouTube videos and see me switching the VH back and forth.

If you use registration files for performing your songs, you can still use slots 1-6 to do that.

Regards
Drake

Offline faddario

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 02:44:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply I have seen your videos on youtube. Great stuff. Let me tell you what I have: I have a particular song on a playlist. The song gets pulled from a registration file (mp3) where I have saved all my instrument settings, voice volume, etc. I want to use a harmony setting for the first part of the song and a different one for the second part.

I'm confused (easily)on how to set up 2 different VH settings in a registration file. I don't know what you mean by "slot." And, I'm afraid that the new registration with the VH settings will stop my mp3 when the "slot" is selected.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 11:51:09 PM »
Every registration bank has 8 selections or 'slots' available. If you use a bank/song you can set up each one of these slots to save settings for different parts of the song.

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 04:06:39 AM »
Thanks for your reply I have seen your videos on youtube. Great stuff. Let me tell you what I have: I have a particular song on a playlist. The song gets pulled from a registration file (mp3) where I have saved all my instrument settings, voice volume, etc. I want to use a harmony setting for the first part of the song and a different one for the second part.

I'm confused (easily)on how to set up 2 different VH settings in a registration file. I don't know what you mean by "slot." And, I'm afraid that the new registration with the VH settings will stop my mp3 when the "slot" is selected.

A better word for "slot" is button.

Each registration has 8 buttons, so you can have 8 different settings in a registration.  We call the 8 buttons R1 through R8.

Load the active button (the one with the harmony for the first part of the song). This is likely R1.

Now change the VH to what you want for the 2nd part. Press Memory and and unused button (like R2).

Now save the registration.

When you play the song, switch to R2 when you want the VH changed.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline faddario

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 03:14:33 PM »
Thanks Fred. When I switch to R2, won't the track start over from the beginning?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 08:42:51 PM »
Hi Frank,

Your 2nd question refers to using an MP3 file. I didn't know that you could even tie a registration to an MP3 file. So I can't help with that as I don't use MP3 file when playing live.

But I would think if you have the song set up to go  in R1 and tied to the MP3 file, when you set R2, you would NOT tie it to the MP3 file. Doing that the MP3 file would NOT restart.

Regards
Drake

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 09:20:41 PM »
Thanks Fred. When I switch to R2, won't the track start over from the beginning?
Why don’t you just try it and see?

Online overover

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 09:53:54 PM »
... When I switch to R2, won't the track start over from the beginning?

Hi Frank,

First, we should be correct here and use Yamaha terms regarding Registration Memory: A "Registration" means the data/settings memorized on a single Registration (Memory) Button. The entirety of all Registration Buttons (1-8 or Genos 1-10) is called "Registration Bank" and is stored as a "Registration (Bank) File" (.rgt) in the User drive or on a USB stick (or loaded from there) .

Regarding your question: In the case of Styles or MIDI files that are linked in Registrations, it doesn't matter if the Style box or MIDI song box is/remains ticked when memorizing all the Registrations in a Bank. This means that the Style or MIDI file continues to run normally when you switch to another Registration button in this Bank.

With AUDIO files (.wav or .mp3) linked in Registrations, however, the behavior is such that the Audio file would be started again from the beginning when switching to another Registration Button if all Registrations were memorized with ticked Audio Song box. The solution is to memorize only Registration Button #1 with the Audio Song box ticked, but DON'T tick the Audio Song box when memorizing the remaining Registration Buttons.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:57:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)