Author Topic: Connection Issue: Chromebook with SX-900 and Mobile Sheets  (Read 2508 times)

Offline LaHawk

Connection Issue: Chromebook with SX-900 and Mobile Sheets
« on: October 01, 2022, 05:11:29 PM »
 I've been emailing with the Mobile Sheets owner about  the inability of connecting my SX-900 / Mobile Sheets Pro / and a Samsung Plus V1 Chromebook.

To sum things up:
I have the Google paid version of Mobile Sheets installed on my Chromebook, and a separate Amazon paid version installed on a Fire Tablet

I can easily connect the Amazon version on a Fire Tablet to link SX-900 registrations to Mobile Sheets sheet music. When I connect the keyboard to the tablet (c port) I get a popup stated "Connected To Yamaha Arranger"

With the Google version (using the same cables) on this Chromebook, I do not get a "connected  to Yamaha" notice.  Any, and I believe we tried every possible setup in Mobile Sheets Midi, all fail to link Mobile Sheets Pro with the SX-900 and this Chromebook. (Both C ports on this Chromebook work fine with other connections)

So it appears to me, either this Samsung Plus V1 Chromebook (2017) is either not midi compatible with Yamaha Arrangers, or Mobile Sheets and the Chrome OS are not friends  :D . OR I simply may be missing something.

I really do like  the 3x2 display for sheet music on this Chromebook and would love to link SX-900 registrations to Mobile Sheets, but I'm at a stand still.

Any advise would be appreciated by both me and  Michael, the owner of Mobile Sheets
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 05:19:08 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline PhotoDoc05

Re: Connection Issue: Chromebook with SX-900 and Mobile Sheets
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 11:21:59 PM »
Larry,

I've been using the Windows version of Mobile Sheets Pro for a couple of months now, connected to a PC running Win10.

Just taking a guess here, but it might be worth checking. In the MIDI settings page, I have 4 choices for the "MIDI device".

-Generic
-KORG
-Genos, PSR SX900
-KORG and Genos/ PSR-SX900

I selected the 3rd choice, and connect the SX900 MIDI connectors (old school!) to a USB-MIDI adapter.

So, on your tablet app, you no doubt have other choices, but can you select some other choice with your Chromebook?
Regards,  Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 02:22:50 PM »
Thanks Jerry

The Samsung Chromebook has C type port connections. Yes I also checked off the 3rd choice Geno's SX-900. In fact spent hours with different mobile sheets settings.

My current connection that does not work is SX-900 USB host to c port on a Samsung Chromebook. That same hookup works, although it's a hit or miss on a fire tablet. I would like to try your "old school" midi adapter connection. Can you or someone link or provide a photo of that adapter? 

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 02:24:38 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 04:48:25 PM »
Hi Larry

They quote that Mobile sheets is compatible with Windows and Android. They do not mention Chromebook which is a different operating system, so maybe it is not compatible.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »
Larry, I use the Roland UM-1, here's a link to the product:
https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one_mk2/

Incidentally, I use it because I had one, and found the noise level is lower than using a USB-Host cable connection.
It's not a huge difference, but on a spectrum analyzer it's obvious.  (Probably not noticeable just listening to them!)

Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 06:02:15 PM »
Hi Larry,

Which Chrome OS version is installed on your Chromebook? Apparently external MIDI devices in connection with Android apps from Chrome OS version 65 should work:
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/8935ae/chrome_os_midi_devices_on_android_apps/

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:08:28 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 06:02:53 PM »
Larry, I use the Roland UM-1, here's a link to the product:
https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one_mk2/

Incidentally, I use it because I had one, and found the noise level is lower than using a USB-Host cable connection.
It's not a huge difference, but on a spectrum analyzer it's obvious.  (Probably not noticeable just listening to them!)

Jerry

Thanks again Jerry
Amazon has a few similar and cheaper midi devices that I may try.

Hi Larry

They quote that Mobile sheets is compatible with Windows and Android. They do not mention Chromebook which is a different operating system, so maybe it is not compatible.

Bill

Yea Bill, Unfortunately, I'm thinking the same thing. The 12" 3x2 display on this Chromebook is perfect for sheet music, but a bummer if you can't link registrations.

So now I'm curious.   ???

Has anyone successfully connected a Chromebook with Mobile Sheets, to a Yamaha Arranger for linking registrations?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 06:18:26 PM »
Hi Larry,

Which Chrome OS version is installed on your Chromebook? Apparently external MIDI devices in connection with Android apps from Chrome OS version 65 should work:
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/8935ae/chrome_os_midi_devices_on_android_apps/
Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Yes I have the latest OS build 107.0.5304.14 Even tried the beta channel with no luck

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 06:21:49 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline mhack

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 07:34:34 PM »
I was curious about this until I discovered that I must actually be able to play a keyboard and read piano music.
Mhack.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 07:57:01 AM »
The Samsung Chromebook has C type port connections. Yes I also checked off the 3rd choice Geno's SX-900. In fact spent hours with different mobile sheets settings.

My current connection that does not work is SX-900 USB host to c port on a Samsung Chromebook. That same hookup works, although it's a hit or miss on a fire tablet. I would like to try your "old school" midi adapter connection. Can you or someone link or provide a photo of that adapter? 

Are you connecting the USB host port (USB-A) on the PSR-SX900, or the USB device port (USB-B)? As far as I know, the keyboard only supports MIDI on the device port; the host port is used for pen-drives (and USB hubs). The USB-C port on your Chromebook should work with the USB-B port.

Regards!

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 09:24:42 AM »
....Amazon has a few similar and cheaper midi devices that I may try....

Don't waste your money and time, the Roland UM One Mk2 is a little more but it works. From experience, I can tell you that the cheap Chinese ones on Amazon, Ebay etc are unreliable and often don't work at all.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 02:33:24 PM »
Are you connecting the USB host port (USB-A) on the PSR-SX900, or the USB device port (USB-B)? As far as I know, the keyboard only supports MIDI on the device port; the host port is used for pen-drives (and USB hubs). The USB-C port on your Chromebook should work with the USB-B port.

Regards!
I was using SX-900 device port to c input. Worked on Fire Tablet, but not on a Chromebook.

Don't waste your money and time, the Roland UM One Mk2 is a little more but it works. From experience, I can tell you that the cheap Chinese ones on Amazon, Ebay etc are unreliable and often don't work at all.
I purchased this  Lekato midi interface device shorturl.at/efklN Probably made in China, but they do have a reputable Amazon Music store. shorturl.at/hqXZ2 Time will tell Andy

Update: I received the above Lekato Midi Interface and it does indeed work with Chromebook. Therefore, it simply seems like Chromebook does not like from SX-900 Host to Chrome Input. Thanks to Jerry for his Midi Interface suggestion . Michael at Mobile Sheets is following, so he also thanks everyone for your help.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings