Author Topic: Audio recording limitation on PSR-SX700  (Read 1991 times)

Offline BogdanH

Audio recording limitation on PSR-SX700
« on: October 01, 2022, 03:07:39 PM »
Maybe this was already mentioned here in the past; anyway, I think it's important to be mentioned for those who are considering to get PSR-SX700.

We have two options to record audio music that we're playing from the keyboard. First, most used option I guess, is directly into keyboard user memory (or onto USB stick). The process is simple enough and explained in keyboard's manual. However, what isn't that obvious in manual is, how loud will music be recorded. To keep it short: the loudness of recorded music can be set in Mixer->Master tab->Compressor: Output knob. By default Output knob is set to 62, and this value will also be used of we turn compressor to Off.
Why is that important... because it means, if we set Compressor On and change Output value, then that loudness will be used for recording regardless of Master Volume knob position on keyboard panel. Means, we can quiet listen to what we're playing, however recorded song will still have the level (loudness) as set in Compressor-Output. I'm sure you realize how important and welcome that feature is.

Now the reason for my writing... For whatever reason, it might/will happen, that we need to connect the keyboard on external audio mixer or on USB audio interface. And the only way we can do that, is by using Main Output jacks on back panel. The problem is, these two jacks are influenced by Compressor settings and by Master Volume knob on main panel -and we have no option to prevent that. Ok, but where's the problem actually? I'm glad you asked... The problem is, if you wish to record your (live) performance, it will be hard (or even impossible) to find a compromise between desired loudness for your audience (or your headphones) and at the same time, to have desired loudness for recording.

Or another scenario: you wish to use condenser microphone for (Youtube) video you're making on late evening. Obviously you don't wish to make a party scene at late hour, so you will keep keyboard loudness more on a quiet side. But at the same time, you wish audience to enjoy your music (loudness) in full glory. Yes, you can use headphones (which doesn't look that good on video), but the problem remains the same: you're forced to listen the music loud (=loud enough). Another solution comes to mind: set keyboard quiet enough and increase gain on mixer... That doesn't always work, because most mixers don't have enough gain. And in case of USB audio interface, there's usually no loudness/gain control at all for line inputs.

My thoughts... If all above is important for you, then you should consider PSR-SX900, which also has Aux outputs. In manual it's said, that Aux output isn't influenced by Master Volume knob. So, even if it's not mentioned, I assume it is influenced by Compressor Output setting. If that's true (should be confirmed by someone who has SX900), then Aux output behaves the same way as in case of onboard audio recording -which is what we want. Beside that, Aux output on SX900 also have some other features/settings that you might find useful.
Of course we can do audio recording from Main Outputs on SX700. It's just not that comfortable and usually requires more work (post-processing) afterwards.

I hope I provided some valuable info,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline PhotoDoc05

Re: Audio recording limitation on PSR-SX700
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 11:00:50 PM »
Hi Bogdan,

Yes, I can confirm that the SX-900 acts that way on the AUX outputs.  It is essentially a FIXED level, not affected by the Master Volume control.
On the Master Compressor, the actual Fixed level is controlled by Compression - Texture - Output  settings   (also the Master EQ)

It's very convenient when recording into a DAW, I'm using Reaper.  You can monitor recording through Reaper at the Fixed level,
and if needed or wanted, you can also listen to the SX-900 speakers at the same time.
Regards,  Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
Hi Jerry,
Thank you for confirming!
It's interesting that these things aren't explicite mentioned in Yamaha documentation. Same goes for so called "reviews" on Youtube. I watched a lot of them and no "reviewer" mentioned that. I see this feature as quite important and fore some, it can even be a deciding factor when buying.

Bogdan

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 06:24:21 PM »

The block diagrams on page 110 of the PSR-SX700/PSR-SX900 Reference Manual may or may not be helpful in this regard.

Hope this info helps -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 10:20:10 PM »
hi pj,
Thank you for pointing me to block diagram (I admit I didn't really noticed it)... and yes, as you say, "may or may not" be helpful. Here we can see, that Master Compressor/EQ is used on both (Main & Aux) outputs, however functionality of Main volume knob isn't shown. But then, I already realized how outputs work, so nothing can change the facts.

Ok, in my case of use, this limitation (on SX700) is not really a deal breaker -it just makes certain things very uncomfortable (or even impossible) to achieve.

Best wishes,
Bogdan

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
The audio recording has been like this on the S770, having owned one previously. Possibly on the Tyros series also. IMO I just leave it as is, and just boost/normalize on post in the DAW, I call it "headroom".