Author Topic: problem mik.  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Oymmot

problem mik.
« on: September 30, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »
Hi.
Tommy from Sweden who writes.
I have a question regarding feeding with 48 volts to the microphone.
I connect a Red NT1 A microphone and will use the VH chorus on my vocals.
The choirs are not heard, if I scream into the microphone I can hear a bit of choir but as soon as I return to normal singing the choirs disappear.
Does anyone have experience using the 48 v function for their microphone.
Thanks in advance, Tommy
Tommy Ölin
E-post: tommy.sune.olin@gmail.com

Re: problem mik.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 04:58:16 PM »
Hi Tommy,

I'm not sure that the 48V function has anything to do with the amount of vocal harmony. This issue happens with a regular mic as well. My Genos is packed at this time but if you press Direct Access > Vocal Harmony, the Vocal Harmony settings appear. In that window you can set the threshold at which the harmonies are heard. Perhaps another member can chime in here and be more specific.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 05:09:38 PM »
That's right, the 48V function is not the cause of your problem. I assume that the cause is the adjustment of the compressor. To begin with, turn it off completely. For more details, watch this video.

https://youtu.be/6ikFBimtwTM?t=209
Watch my video channel

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »
Hi.
Thanks for the answer but.. everything that can interfere is disconnected, no compressor, etc. and it's like someone didn't write 48 volts as ghosts when I now tested with a normal SM 58 and the error was the same. VH pumps all the time up and down. Tommy
Tommy Ölin

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 05:38:52 PM »
Direct Access > Vocal Harmony, the Vocal Harmony settings appear. In that window you can set the threshold at which the harmonies are heard.
There is no Threshold here, only v/h division and it only shows more or less nothing that can pump up and down
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
For everyone's clarity, Tommy is using a Rode (not Red) NT1 A mic. It's a studio grade quality and is not the cause of his problem.

Tommy, in the Vocal harmony window, under the Harmony section (middle window), make sure the green On button is displayed. Below it, there is a gear icon, which opens the Detail Setting window. There are three pages of settings. Try adjusting the settings on Page 2. There is likely a setting that is preventing either mic from doing what you want.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »
Thanks Lee but......
It is the same which driving function I use of the standard driving. The pumping occurs on all runs and I have already tested most of them. Did some research on whether it could be the function that retrieves tones to control the V/H function with which comes and goes. The same if I use style control with the left hand or let a midi file control with its notes.
Tommy Ölin

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »
I use Google translate, so there are some mistakes in the text
Tommy Ölin

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 06:19:19 PM »
Tommy,
watch my first video and basic microphone setup. You might find what's causing you a problem.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D3uE76oiLYidba12o8F7IQZXPW5i7YK
You can activate subtitles on the video as you wish.
https://app.box.com/file/888803848853?s=b9b01z4eebkwkvdops4j8nmrkj1ebffb
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
hello Tommy,

I have no idea how choirs work on Genos, but it's important that you setup your microphone properly.
Rode NT1-A is an condenser microphone which requires 48V "phantom" power to work. 48V can be delivered to microphone (from Genos) only if you use XLR male connector on Genos side:

To my knowledge, 48V power is not delivered if normal 1/4" 3-pole jack is used.

Just thought I should mention that,
Bogdan
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 06:25:13 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 06:32:07 PM »
Hi.
I don't mean anything bad with what I write, but I've had keyboards since the psr models, all Tyros and now Genos, so the fault is probably not that I made any mistakes in the settings. I thought maybe someone had the same problem and knew something about the problem.
I'll probably get in touch with a yamaha repairer here in Sweden. Tommy
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:41 PM »
Hi Tommy,

No problem with your messages. Machine translation is often not reliable. I just thought of something. When you try to make the vocal harmony function work, what is your Mic Gain rotary knob set at? Also, let us know what the Mic level is in the Slider window. The default is 100. For the harmonizer to activate, there needs to be adequate signal.

As a further note, the vocal harmonizer on the Genos is (in my opinion) very poor. I think the Tyros 5 one worked far better and even it was nothing special. When they try to put so many tools and enhancements on these keyboards, the budgets tend to dictate the quality level. I wouldn't expect much from the Genos vocal harmonizer.

Offline Oymmot

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 03:11:48 PM »
Hi.
My Genos was reset to factory settings and new software is installed, 2.12 and now everything works again.
Tommy
Tommy Ölin

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »
Hi.
My Genos was reset to factory settings and new software is installed, 2.12 and now everything works again.
Tommy
That's good. Thanks for the update, Tommy.