Author Topic: Noises in Mega Voice follow chord change in my custom SFF2 styles  (Read 1685 times)

A handful of pencils

Noises in Mega Voice follow chord change in my custom SFF2 styles
« on: September 29, 2022, 04:20:22 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to convert Roland styles for my PSR-S970. I export MIDI files, add mega voice in MegaEnhancer, ajust controllers and sound bank number in Cakewalk then add SFF1 CASM module. This leads to very satisfying results in comparison to what I get with Style Works XT. However, after i resave these styles in SFF2 on S970,  the noises in mega voices follow chord change. I checked the CASM editor of S970 but find no specific parameter that defines mega voices' behavior. The guitar chord parameter does not help. Could someone kindly tell me how to do please ?

Here are 3 converted styles:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I_z__xng3b4Uqrv8_EChQrXmhXuUGVRF?usp=sharing

Offline overover

Re: Noises in Mega Voice follow chord change in my custom SFF2 styles
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »
Hi "A handful of pencils",

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum!

At the moment I'm not dealing with such complex style programming. But maybe our forum member Casper (ckobu) can help you with this. Please take a look at the following post and the screenshot attached there:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,59470.msg459701.html#msg459701

In SFF2 you can define three independent key ranges (low, mid, high) and then set the "high" range to NTT "Bypass" so that the MegaVoices effect notes are not transposed. Unfortunately, this cannot be determined on the keyboard itself. You can do this with the Style Magic YA program (paid), and it should also work with the current version (v3. ) of "CasmEdit v3.1.10.1" by Evgeny Osenenko (free). This is now also SFF2 compatible:
>>> Download CasmEdit Setup (Windows version only)

Please see also the attached screenshot below (CasmEdit > CASM SFF2 Editor > Edit Low/Middle/High Notes Data).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:40:43 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

A handful of pencils

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 08:10:03 PM »
Thank you very much Chris  :D I never knew that all CASM parameters are not editable on keyboard. I wanted to convert all Roland BK9 styles for YAMAHA but got frustrated by the Megavoice transposing issue. I will read all posts related to SFF2 on the forum. Have a nice day.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 08:36:40 PM »
You are welcome!

As is well known, a Yamaha style file can contain up to 16 MIDI channels, but only channels 9 - 16 of a style are directly visible/editable on the keyboard and are used for the style parts. However, channels 1 - 8 can contain additional patterns (e.g. for certain chord types). If I remember correctly, several MIDI channels (assigned by the CASM) were used for MegaVoices in SFF1 styles in order to be able to play back the effect notes (above C6) correctly.

I wish you a nice day too!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 08:37:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

A handful of pencils

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 09:44:15 PM »
Yes I have noticed that in some PSR-3000 styles. I will try to convert into SFF2 anyway because many Roland styles contain 1 drum track plus 7 bass/chord/melody parts. There are not enough tracks for Mega voice Fx alone. I converted a lot Roland styles last year without passing MIDI files into MegaEnhancer. It's a pity that they cannot take advantage of Mega voices so I decided to put more challenges on myself   ;D I will post the converted styles in the future.