Author Topic: New Genos with 61, 76 en 88 keys will appear well within a year from now!  (Read 13321 times)

Offline ton37

I was at my keyboard dealer (an important/big dealer in NL and a reliable source for me!) to try out the new Korg PA5x, because I really wanted a 61 keys keyboard. I had also once bought the Genos (1) from him, but I sell it as it was too large for me. That's why I bought the SX900. The KorgPA5x offers a lot of features that I appreciate in a new keyboard: a very good keybed, a good sound, a good readable and tiltable screen, sliders and 61 keys! I was in the mood to buy the Korg. Then he advised me to wait a little longer with regard to my wish to buy a Yamaha 61 at Genos quality. He said: certainly within 1 year Yamaha will come up with a Genos and with 61, 76 and 88 keys!! In the meantime Korg will also need some updates to let the PA5x run smoothly. So I'll just wait one year until the new Genos arrives, about half of 2023. Nice prospect...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 03:23:12 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, ChrisC, MadrasGiaguari

Re: New Genos with 61, 76 en 88 keys will appear well within a year from now!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 02:49:19 PM »
Dear Ton,

thank you for your interesting post.

I guess that the dealer statement is quite reliable. I had a similar experience with Korg Pax5: in November 2021 I was in one of the best music stores in Naples. Incidentally there were also sales peoples from Korg. We had a nice conversation about arrangers, and at one point  they told me that the new Korg flagship would have been released in a few months.
The fact is that in late spring 2022 Korg did launch Pa5X.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 03:46:56 PM »
Interesting news. A 61-keys Genos II could be a very nice keyboard - the arranger equivalent of the new 61-keys MODX+

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

The following users thanked this post: Ray, Keyboard Master

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 05:53:09 PM »
Only Yamaha knows.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline ton37

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 07:02:18 PM »
'coincidentally' the source was also someone from Yamaha  ;) , but in a few months we will know for sure  8)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline jugge

I like the idea of a 61 key version due to my limited space. Now, If they will include a builtin USB audio interface like on the MODX, I will most likely join the Genos family again.
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline metcam

I like the idea of a 61 key version due to my limited space. Now, If they will include a builtin USB audio interface like on the MODX, I will most likely join the Genos family again.

If A 61-keys Genos II will be launched I will Get one .

Best regards
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Dear friends,

I have wrote an actual article of my personal and biggest wishes list for new generation of the Genos. I hope my option will be useful for you.

Here my article about new Genos2: https://psrstyles.com/our-blog/yamaha-keyboard-news/43-yamaha-genos-2-coming.html

Thank you So much
New Voice, Styles and Expansion Packs for yamaha Arranger Workstation Keyboards https://psrstyles.com

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Amwilburn

You wrote that Yamaha should metal/aluminum casing for the next Genos like Korg does because it will only add 1-2 kg (the Pa5x is indeed very beautiful and sleek) but the PA5x76 weighs *10 lbs more* than the Genos. I'd love sturdier casing as well, but weight matters too.

Offline mikf

But does all the additional weight come from the casing? They may have a heavier weighted keyboard and other items which adds some of the weight. Maybe Yamaha changing to aluminum case might only add 4 or 5 lbs.
Mike

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 12:18:33 AM »
NOT to start a new rumor but in my quest to get the CVP 809, the dealership said to expect something new in June next year.......again do not want to start a new rumor !!!!!!!
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline David L

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 06:30:45 AM »
I worked in a music store for many years and can say that information given out from sales reps were usually pretty close to what eventually came out.  I find it interesting that one such tidbit is a Genos with 3 different size keyboards!

It will be fun to see if Yamaha does produce 3 different Genos models or if they do the custom order approach for them.  Having to stock 3 very expensive arranger keyboards might be to much for regular keyboard outlets.  Time will surely tell.   

Thanks to all for this information.

Best,
David

Offline Toril S

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 04:16:31 PM »
I just visited our store. No rumours of a new Genos. All they know is that Yamaha is still struggling with shortsge of parts, lousy chain of delivery and so forth. So we better fire up the Genos we have and be happy making music with it for a long time to come!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 07:37:12 PM »
So we better fire up the Genos we have and be happy making music with it for a long time to come!

Yeah, and we can add another new TOTL competitor to keep Genos company as well as we can be challenged with new OS and features.
Never a dull moment. 8) ;D.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 11:53:33 PM »
I added a Casio piano with arranger functions a year ago, but use the styles on it very little, they do not copare with Yamaha! But to be fair, this is a digital piano, not a full arranger. As a piano I am very satisfied with it.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2022, 01:09:36 AM »
And again to be fair a very different price category.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:23:28 AM by mikf »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 02:57:29 AM »
All they know is that Yamaha is still struggling with shortage of parts, lousy chain of delivery and so forth. So we better fire up the Genos we have and be happy making music with it for a long time to come!

Plus one!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2022, 07:57:41 PM »
I just visited our store. No rumours of a new Genos. All they know is that Yamaha is still struggling with shortsge of parts, lousy chain of delivery and so forth. So we better fire up the Genos we have and be happy making music with it for a long time to come!

++1  :)

Yamaha is also adjusting regional prices. Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) for Reface went up $50 USD at the beginning of October. Availability doesn't seem to have improved, either.  :o :'(

Saving my pennies for CK61/CK88, if that looks interesting when it is finally announced.

Take care -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2022, 12:11:54 AM »
++1  :)

Yamaha is also adjusting regional prices. Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) for Reface went up $50 USD at the beginning of October. Availability doesn't seem to have improved, either.  :o :'(

Saving my pennies for CK61/CK88, if that looks interesting when it is finally announced.

Take care -- pj
Not here! At least not yet; same price for years,

Mark

Offline ton37

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2022, 07:49:30 AM »
Wrong info Jeff, that was 'old'  about FIRMWARE version 2 of Genos (sometimes Genos is called therefore Genos2) and it wasn't Peter Baartmans neither  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 08:13:26 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 09:41:23 AM »
You wrote that Yamaha should metal/aluminum casing for the next Genos like Korg does because it will only add 1-2 kg (the Pa5x is indeed very beautiful and sleek) but the PA5x76 weighs *10 lbs more* than the Genos. I'd love sturdier casing as well, but weight matters too.

So what`s your overall impression of the PA5X is it a step forwqrd or a comparative alternative

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2022, 10:58:41 AM »
That was Martin Harris demonstrating the content of the version two pack which we all got well over a year ago. It was also a 76 note not 61.
  I don't see any dangerous competitors. I tend to find you are either a Korg user or a Yamaha user. Some have both. Most of us I am sure will stick with what we feel comfortable with and that suits our needs.

Offline ton37

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 09:25:07 AM »
Although this is a Yamaha forum, it usually doesn't help for a clean discussion to always articulate the 'which is the best' element. What is 'best' for one person may be 'worst' for another. In addition, you have to take into account other yammies who cannot or do not want to afford a 'top model' otherwise you will soon get the 'us' and 'them' discussion. Just stick to the facts and discuss the various functionalities of the different keyboard models, just exchange experiences or views with each other, without always having to indicate a qualification as described above. Then see for yourself what you can do with it.
Ultimately, playing with the keyboard should bind us and not separate us because of preference for a particular brand or model. Be happy that the consumer has choices ... happy keyboarding
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:22:41 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny, Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »
Why are you so obsessed with which is better and which people will bye what Geff. It gets a little boring going over and over the same thing
  Maybe you would like to tell us what you are going to buy.
Please lets have something a little more interesting.

Offline Del B

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 08:53:06 PM »
Hey Eileen :

I would be grateful, like many other people, I guess, if Yamaha are
willing to inform us what their future plans are by answering following simple question  :

" Can we expect a Genos ' successor next year ? ".

Sorry, I am not obsessed at all ...

Jeff you should know by now that Yamaha will reveal their next release date of a new arranger or information regarding to when they are good and ready and not before, if you do not realise this  you are blinkered, I do think you are obsessed and impatient, so when the great reveal emerges are you going to buy one?
I am in the market for a new keyboard so I am waiting patiently for Yamahas new flagship, I also agree with Eileen this is getting tiresome, your not going to buy any other make but Yamaha so why not just wait to see what Yamaha bring out, then you can be elated what they have made or disappointed because it has not come up to your expectations

Offline Bill

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2022, 08:55:46 PM »
Hi Jeff

I partly understand, however only Yamaha knows the answer, so why not just accept it and wait. I appreciate you might find it interesting to carry on the general discussion ( I suppose it passes the time), just tell us what Yamaha needs to do to make you part with some of the money you have saved by NOT buying what you say is the best Arranger on the planet.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2022, 12:01:34 AM »
Dear friends,

I have wrote an actual article of my personal and biggest wishes list for new generation of the Genos. I hope my option will be useful for you.

Here my article about new Genos2: https://psrstyles.com/our-blog/yamaha-keyboard-news/43-yamaha-genos-2-coming.html

Thank you So much
That Article I just read it very interesting and I agree with all addition features mentioned. Also for style creator be able to edit/change velocities to allow the channels to use different voices. and for SFF Format be able to Convert the SFF format to SFF1 to use on older/smaller keyboards like the psr e for exampe.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2022, 12:43:09 AM »
I think some simple improvements to the next PSR sx9xx like:

Improved keybed (eliminate the black key noise)
USB 3.0
Double the expansion memory
3 pedal inputs
4 live Control knobs
Double the arpeggios to choose from

These simple improvements would be enough to make the PSR line truly professional keyboard.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2022, 10:39:54 AM »
Agree with Joe H about PSR-SX improvements, of course!

About keybed.. It's not only black keys, white are also affected, although the the problem is less noticeable. The thing is, over the time (as we adapted), we forgot how silent keybed was when new.
When we wish for USB3.0, we wish for speed increase.. But USB3.0 alone is only half the equation -actual speed depends on the rest of the hardware & firmware. Current situation, for example: USB2.0 has speed of up to 60MB/s, which means a 500Mbyte pack could be loaded in less than 10 seconds -reality is, it takes 10-times longer.

Being at wishes: get rid of (ancient) one pack install limit. It should be possible to install additional packs (if there's enough space) AND it should be possible to remove single particular pack -I mean, do I really ask for too much?

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline EileenL

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2022, 02:20:11 PM »
The mid-range keyboard usually come along two to three years after the Flagship launch. Too early to talk about it yet.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2022, 07:01:19 PM »
Yes and no. Eileen is correct, that the *new* PSRsx series won't arrive until a couple of years after the Genos 2 arrives. However, they *have* made stopgap upgrade PSRs's.
The psr2100 came out a couple of years after the PSR2000, and 1 year before the PSR3000. The 2100 and 2000 were the same thing except they added a USB b port and a better piano, if I recall. Likewise, the PSRs970 and s975 were electronically identical in every way except the half bar fill and 4 sample packs preloaded, an a 50% larger sample area. Again the s975 came out 1 year before the actual upgrade, the sx900.

So we *might* see aPSRsx905 /705 before then, which would be the same sound library and sound chip, but with a handful of extras.

Mark

Offline EileenL

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2022, 01:04:22 AM »
Would prefer to wait for a new model rather than spend out on a few additions to what we already have.

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2022, 06:28:14 PM »
Long time since I was here on this forum, but I read all the discussions, and I´m interested what Yamaha will come out with next. I have Yamaha PSR - S 950. I bought it 2012 and it has served me very well.
If Yamaha comes out with a Genos 2 type 61 keys, I will upgrade to it.
But in the meantime I will continue playing my 950 for people on nursehomes and birthdayspartys.
As long as my voice is good and I can sing along with folks, it`s nice to do that.
Once again I will thank Eileen, that learnd me a lot about these keyboards, through the years!
All the best from Jan - Eve in Ystad Sweden.

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2022, 03:30:05 AM »
Long time since I was here on this forum, but I read all the discussions, and I´m interested what Yamaha will come out with next. I have Yamaha PSR - S 950. I bought it 2012 and it has served me very well.
If Yamaha comes out with a Genos 2 type 61 keys, I will upgrade to it.
But in the meantime I will continue playing my 950 for people on nursehomes and birthdayspartys.
As long as my voice is good and I can sing along with folks, it`s nice to do that.
Once again I will thank Eileen, that learnd me a lot about these keyboards, through the years!
All the best from Jan - Eve in Ystad Sweden.
Me too I think it is worth the wait as then once you upgrade after the next ones are lunched you will Have the latest of features and better sounds etc.   8)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 11:21:35 PM »
Hi
today i have mulled over all videos and everything Korg , Ketron etc and my conclusion now is --

Genos until the end. There are lots of little pitfuls and holes in everything and it is not worth wasting money on the Pax 5
The Genos has a better layout, better useability and most of all the quick record which is one of the great things on the Genos.
The Genos also integrates well with Cubase 12.

All the Best
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ton37

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2022, 03:56:10 AM »
OR John, stick with your Genos 1 and buy a Ketron Module on it. That combination with Cubase could be a winner for you?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 09:33:16 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2022, 07:06:57 PM »
Thanks a TON M8

I have thought about that

I see a Yamaha advert today for buying keyboards for Christmas  and Yamaha are offering the Genos For just under £4000 without speakers and just over £4000 with.
That tells me that somethng new is on the horizon especially when it has been reduced by over a £1000.
Getting rid of old stock

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline pjd

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2022, 08:48:38 PM »
That tells me that somethng new is on the horizon especially when it has been reduced by over a £1000.
Getting rid of old stock

Or they jacked prices up too high and sales are off.  :o

I hate to compare Genos to a frozen enchiladas, but here goes.  ;D The local chain grocery store increased prices on all of its frozen food including the chile relleno that I love. Now they're selling everything at a discount, with coupons, etc., etc. because the stock is sitting in the freezer case.

Yamaha raised prices in the USA, too. I once considered a Reface CP -- now, fuhgeddaboudit. Open box price is even higher than the old street price!

Yish -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2022, 08:05:24 AM »
Agree with pjd.
I don't think Genos price is reduced because something new is on horizon. Actually Yamaha is forced to reduce Genos price, because asking 1000€ more than for "just released" Korg Pa5X is just silly. As it is now here in Europe, Pa5X (76key) is 4670€ and Genos is 4400€. If you ask me, Genos is still way overpriced... if I would buy now, my choice would be Pa5X.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2022, 10:15:42 AM »
Hi Bogdan

One thing that puzzles me about the Pax 5 is that there is no mention of straight play recording using a style as we do with quick record and everything looks long winded on the Korg with accessibility.
I would not want to record Mp3 when i can record wave files and recording a manufactured midi file background would sound robotic.
I have tried to like the Korg as i love their synths and piano's but that is where it ends for me.
It looks to me that you cannot play a song with a style and have it all recorded together as a midi file to edit.
Also what is this fabulous update to the Korg all about in December?.
All a little sketchy at the moment to make a direct comparison to the Genos.
The thing that may be of concern is that Korg was said to be working with Yamaha from what i read some time back. Maybe or not true, but if so it could be the end for the Genos.
No matter what they are certainly keeping the punters held in suspense.
Cant wait for the new Kenko keyboard, it has a free coffee dispenser ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:27:16 PM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2022, 12:05:42 PM »
It is true John that Korg shared the same factory as Yamaha years ago but only a very small part. There has always been a fair relationship between the two but that is all. No working together as they each had their own idea's.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »
@ugawoga
I must admit that I didn't dig into Pa5X manual.. and even then, as we know, there will always be unanswered questions left. Saying that, my whole Pa5X impression is based on specifications and on a scarce Youtube content. As I already mentioned elsewhere, I'm surprised by the fact, that there are only some "presentation" videos -that is, I couldn't find any "in-depth" review so far.
Anyway, I do assume that all "usual stuff" can be done with Pa5X... may be in a different way than on Yamaha, though. Here again, my assumption is based on "Korg is more flexible than Yamaha" -a claim I can hear quite often.

Of course, when deciding about different brand, there's a difference between someone who already owns TOTL keyboard and someone who is stepping into TOTL keyboard. That is, I have PSR-SX and if I would be in position to make "step up" right now, then I would choose Pa5X easily. In your case however, you only replace (older) TOTL keyboard with newer one. That is, we both would need to start from scratch, but you don't benefit as much as I do. And that's why I could make decision easier.

You know what? Just enjoy your Genos! -but darn... coffee dispenser you say?.. very tempting  ;D

Bogdan

Offline mikf

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2022, 04:13:41 AM »
It is true John that Korg shared the same factory as Yamaha years ago but only a very small part. There has always been a fair relationship between the two but that is all. No working together as they each had their own idea's.
It was much more than a fair relationship - for a while. Yamaha owned Korg for about 10 years. The sharing of facilities happened during that period. But that ended a long time ago when Korg essentially bought themselves back out if the relationship. They are very separate now and very competitive. Having experienced similar things in the corporate world I could lay money that the separation happened because Korg management became disenchanted with being a Yamaha subsidiary, and I doubt there is any kind of relationship now.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 04:32:42 AM by mikf »

Offline ton37

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 06:29:44 PM »
Hi, today I attended a keyboard demonstration given by the Yamaha-demonstrator and entertainer: Peter Baartmans. Being able to enjoy his presentation and listning to his sublime playing technique for 2 hours. An engaging and friendly person who is easily approachable. He played on the Yamaha CVP-7xx and on the Genos. Oh man, wat a wonderful 'concert', so inspiring! Of course: at the (coffee)bar I couldn't resist asking him: when we will see you demonstrating a new Genos2 ? He answered: I don't know that either (and if he did, he wouldn't tell). But he wouldn't be surprised if he started giving presentations on it next Christmas (2023)! In other words, I still trust my prediction in the headline of this post. So, just enjoy your 'old' Yammie just another year and then ...?? It's going to be a 'happy new year', in this regard. ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2022, 11:06:56 PM »
That sounds about right as they usually launch at the end of the year.
I don't think you will ever see a Genos in three versions. 76 note seems to suit most people.

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2023, 02:47:24 PM »
Although it would be good, in some ways, if Yamaha were to give people a 61, 76 and 88 weighted key option I'm not so sure the latter is actually THAT suitable given my experience with the PA5X. It sort of seems clumsy at times: the default split position seems high up the keyboard to me, using mod & pitch bend is more tricky with 88 keys, regardless where they place them. Many voices still benefit from using these wheels and articulation buttons. I find it near impossible to use them effectively on the PA5X88.

Moreover...
Yamaha already does a CVP line for weighted keys which I think suits that far more (focus more on piano and the backing is more automatic rather than chord controlled). For 61 keys people can always resort to the PSR line.

Also Yamaha now offers more backing options in the DGX line. Again more automatic, rather than chord controlled.

Sure, it's possible they will do the full 61/76/88 options with a Genos followup, I'm just not sure it's necessary and is suitable. I don't believe any rumours at this stage anyway.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2023, 06:06:55 AM »
I expect Yamaha to Release a New Genos this year. SO Get Ready to be exited when it launches. I hope it does as well.

Offline mikf

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2023, 12:23:00 PM »
Andrew - not sure I understand your comment about the backing on a CVP being more automatic, rather than chord driven. The accompaniment on the CVP, Genos and PSRs all works exactly the same way. People might choose to play them differently, but that’s all.
An interesting point for me re how important is 61 and 88 keys is how much does portability matter. The arranger grew out of the home organ market, in fact ultimately replaced it. Home organs were top quality, expensive, non-portable pieces of furniture. But my perception is that most arranger players don’t need it to be portable, because most owners are home players and arrangers are not typically the instrument  of choice for gig players. They are mostly the same people who bought home organs. .
I think price rather than portability is the really big driver of market. And these portable instruments, even the TOTL models, can be made and distributed so much more cheaply than the very solid piece of home furniture that the home organ or the CVP represents. This expanded the market exponentially. So I think the 88 key arranger wil be successful, as long as it costs little more than the 76 or 61 key versions.
Mike

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2023, 05:44:16 PM »
Andrew - not sure I understand your comment about the backing on a CVP being more automatic, rather than chord driven. The accompaniment on the CVP, Genos and PSRs all works exactly the same way. People might choose to play them differently, but that’s all.
An interesting point for me re how important is 61 and 88 keys is how much does portability matter. The arranger grew out of the home organ market, in fact ultimately replaced it. Home organs were top quality, expensive, non-portable pieces of furniture. But my perception is that most arranger players don’t need it to be portable, because most owners are home players and arrangers are not typically the instrument  of choice for gig players. They are mostly the same people who bought home organs. .
I think price rather than portability is the really big driver of market. And these portable instruments, even the TOTL models, can be made and distributed so much more cheaply than the very solid piece of home furniture that the home organ or the CVP represents. This expanded the market exponentially. So I think the 88 key arranger wil be successful, as long as it costs little more than the 76 or 61 key versions.
Mike

My understanding of Piano Room was perhaps misplaced.

I thought it was more clever than it appears to be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qx-tEQ2Zl0&ab_channel=ePianos.co.uk

I presume however that the next step, beyond just AI fingering would be for the arranger to analyse velocity, amounts of notes played and range and change backing based on that but maybe that won't happen.
It's a bit unclear to me what Piano Room does under the hood. It seems to have been sold more as automated backing in some demos but this guy in that video indeed seems to select the style parts in quite a similar fashion, just a different interface. Maybe an improved interface helps pianists. I still don't think touch screen interfaces will ever be as fast as using physical buttons. Hence my gripe with the PA5X not having registrations. With the CVP having the reg buttons towards the right hand side, rather than central as on the Genos (so easier to access from both hands), and two less I don't think there is much of an improvement to the CVP beyond the weighted keys and key count if AI fingering is all that is going on in Piano Room.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 05:56:24 PM by AndrewKeyz »
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline mikf

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2023, 07:05:35 PM »
Andrew
The piano room is as you say really just a different interface. There is no additional technology on the accompaniment, but it does set the instrument up for playing accompanied two handed piano in a single button press, like a super sophisticated registration. It is also a neat graphic and as well as setting up the CVP it gives a reduced list of styles, easily selectable on the graphic, which are specifically  chosen to be suitable to back full piano playing.
But it also has some limitations, that don’t exist when you set up using the normal interfaces. For example, you can’t access all the styles, or use custom styles, or start the accompaniment without the one bar metronome sounding first. That last sounds like a small issue but playing an intro or verse freestyle, then kicking in rhythm is a pretty normal pro piano player technique and you can’t do it in Piano Room without that one bar metronome.
There are other downsides, but on balance, it’s a neat interface that some will like, maybe especially people new to arrangers. It would not in itself influence me to buy a CVP because I hardly use it, but I have to admit it seemed really neat when I first tried it in the showroom, so maybe it did influence me!
The big advantages of the CVP  ………Piano Room isn’t one of them ……
It’s close to a real piano - good sound, good feel, great for playing/recording two handed piano with full accompaniment.
It’s a nice self contained piece of furniture
It gets rid of the studio / lab look of the portable arranger (which my wife hated)
It still has most of the features of an arranger, certainly all I need.
Downsides -
Price - high compared to TOTL arrangers, (but not compared to quality acoustic pianos)
Not portable
Takes up space - (although that might be an upside for some ??)
Not the right tool for people who want to use the arranger it for very sophisticated music recording and production with connectivity to other equipment like computers, workstations, mixers, sound systems and so on.

I chose it because it suits my needs, and liked it so much I bought a second one. It’s a unique product because there is really no equivalent from other suppliers.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: AndrewKeyz