Author Topic: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron  (Read 151311 times)

Jeff Hollande

Re: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron
« Reply #1000 on: March 21, 2023, 10:14:13 AM »
Hi John :

Right, I am going to wait for the Genos' successor. IMO it is the best choice for a Yamaha customer.

When it will be available in the market ( at the end of 2023 or early 2024 ? ), I am going to wait for at least 6 months ( after reading reactions of members here ) before I will decide whether or not I am going to sell my beloved Tyros4 yet and replace it by the Genos' successor.

It is not my intention to go for another brand. Why should I kill a winning horse ? Yamaha NEVER let me down.

Best wishes, JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #1001 on: March 21, 2023, 01:14:34 PM »
Here Here I feel the same way about Yamaha. You can't beat it.

« Reply #1002 on: March 21, 2023, 01:58:25 PM »
Agreed, Eileen.

We are unlikely to see any market in Canada for the Event because there doesn't seem to be any physical dealers. The PA5X is intriguing but you can bet your last dollar (pound in your case 🤣) that Yamaha has been listening to Genos users and will fill in the blanks for us.

I'll wait for Genos 2. And like Jeff, I'll wait a while before making the purchase, just to see what the feedback is like. Besides, I'll have no choice but to wait at least three months because I'm a Canadian. We don't count when it comes to Yamaha's distribution model. We're always last and yet we produce some of the world's best performers. Go figure...
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Online rphillipchuk

« Reply #1003 on: March 21, 2023, 02:30:25 PM »

Besides, I'll have no choice but to wait at least three months because I'm a Canadian. We don't count when it comes to Yamaha's distribution model. We're always last and yet we produce some of the world's best performers. Go figure...

+100000000
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:31:26 PM by rphillipchuk »
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #1004 on: March 21, 2023, 05:30:37 PM »
I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the big 3, people are going to have their favourites and that is absolutely fine. People have many reasons why they change or stick with what they know, you can make a good case for all 3 keyboards and they would all be good reasons. If there is to be a follow up to the Genos, of course it's going to be outstanding, I can't see how it wouldn't be. It's great for us keyboard enthusiasts that we'll get to see yet another new arranger keyboard sometime soon, hopefully this year. It always keeps things exciting.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #1005 on: March 21, 2023, 09:27:47 PM »
Hi
We will or may have an indication when Namm arives in April.
Lots of Yamaha tech being released.
If not then i would assume at a percentage of 100 that Late October we will have Genos 3.
I think it is fair to say it is a evens bet :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #1006 on: March 21, 2023, 09:32:57 PM »
----
Oh the Nord Grand is the only one that doesn't use the standard clacky Fatar keys, and the piano samples are *fantastic*. However, still not a wooden key. If you're looking for a better key feel and a better piano sound than the P515 (which is middling), try the CP88. I would've suggested one of the new wooden key Casios (PXS5000-7000), but oddly, they only offer USB B midi out, not standard 5 pin, rendering them difficult to use as a master KB.

One of my customers tried slaving a PSRsx900 from a Casio PXS1000... and weirdly it *worked* using a custom USB B to B cable. But it's not supposed to! :p
Baffling decision to leave out 5 pin midi, but *wow* are they ever compact and light. Wood/resin hybrid 88 keys weighs 25 lbs *with* built in speakers... the next lightest with built in speakers is the P515 which comes in a 49.5lbs.

If sound is more important than the key action, I'd go with the Nord Grand. If key action is most important I'd go with the CP88. If you want good key action (not as good as the Yamahas but superior to everyone else) and lightweight portability? Try one of the PXS5000/6000/7000. Crazy light. But you'll need to buy a USB B to B cable if you want to run a master/slave setup on your Genos.

Mark

Big shout out to Mark. Thank you for the suggestions!   :D :D :D

I received the Yamaha CP88 today as part of the Korg Pa5X trade in (I have some credit still left and sort of undecided what to do with it, have agreed on a MP11se with Bonners at the moment, available later in the year again but will see)

I am very impressed with the CP88! It sounds great, plays great and operates so well! It's so much better than the Roland RD2000 in my opinion. That one is clearly somewhat sluggish in comparison.

In addition, the Yamaha has superb build quality.

Together with the Genos (and whatever Yamaha comes up with next) this is going to be a superb setup I think. Not sure I still need that Kawai! Will see.

Yamaha doesn't seem to let me down!  ;D
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Offline kiplis

« Reply #1007 on: March 24, 2023, 05:37:30 PM »
Make's me a bit wonder (from an other site) ::)

"Ketron Event two and a half months dj life in perfect condition with purchase invoice and original packaging
Selling due to non-use I can ship it €3950 not negotiable"

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1008 on: March 24, 2023, 09:22:51 PM »
This is the second Event that had to go.  ???
What is the problem ?
JH
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 09:25:34 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #1009 on: March 24, 2023, 09:31:45 PM »
This is the second Event that had to go.  ???
What is the problem ?
JH
Sadly, maybe not up expectation.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #1010 on: March 24, 2023, 09:37:26 PM »
Sadly, maybe not up expectation.
I wonder that two. Every demo I've seen has been through YouTube. Even with top quality speakers, YouTube can sound mediocre due to their compression modes. Once these guys got the Event home, it may have sounded only marginally better.

I heard that one big difference between the Tyros 5 and Genos is that Yamaha redesigned the Genos sound processor. That's why it sounds more alive than the T5. Perhaps Ketron cheaped out on the sound processor.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1011 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:59 PM »
The Event might be more complicated in use than expected ?  ::)
Only time will tell, I guess.
JH

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #1012 on: March 25, 2023, 01:08:44 AM »
Andrew, you are most welcome!

Since you did end up with the cp88, make sure you download the latest firmware... it includes both a Bosendorfer and a Steinway sample. Both of which sound really great! Detailed and expressive.

Mark

« Reply #1013 on: March 25, 2023, 07:37:20 AM »
Make's me a bit wonder (from an other site) ::)

"Ketron Event two and a half months dj life in perfect condition with purchase invoice and original packaging
Selling due to non-use I can ship it €3950 not negotiable"

Hi. I also saw this ad which was published in two Ketron Facebook groups. If I remember correctly (because he probably deleted them) there was an Italian guy who said in his description that he was selling it to buy the Pa5x 76. When people started asking him in the comments why he was selling it or if he had a problem, he said that he had no problem. Simple curiosity. So, I will speak to you as always as a person who is still working with Genos and preparing the Event for work. I personally cannot know what everyone is thinking or how they are thinking when they buy something. But as a professional musician which is my main job, I can tell you that I too have been in this position, (much earlier) buying an instrument which I finally realized was not for me, so I sold it in two months. It was a Korg Pa1x, and if I remember correctly, it was 2003. But the problem then was different. I don't know how many of you know that I'm Greek man and I live in the Greek island (Crete), so it wasn't easy to try an instrument because I had to travel by plane 35 minutes, or 10 hours by boat, to go to Athens where the Korg representative is located.
So, when I bought Genos in the early spring of 2018, I traveled to Athens specifically for this purpose. To see and explore Genos, to decide before the buying. Of course, I didn't regret it.
So, I recommend the same to everyone. Don't buy anything before trying it and also don't buy something if you don't need it. If the instrument you have satisfies you, and can meet all your needs, stay where you are. But when you want to buy something new you have to think about it very carefully and reflect what you want from the instrument in question.
Especially when someone has been working with Yamaha arrangers for years (like everyone here) and suddenly thinks of switching to another company, or even combining an instrument from another company with his Yamaha. I must be sure of the reason. What or what are the positive elements that I found in this instrument?
What will it offer me more than what I have?
I think if we don't do that then we just become consumers.
For someone to buy such an expensive instrument like the Event because they happened to listen to some demos on YouTube I don't think it's a good idea. Of course, there is also the counterargument, that you cannot have a complete opinion of an instrument within a few hours of trying it at an exhibition. Right. But what you will get from this test is crucial in making a decision because, you see many things that are not visible in a demo. You see and touch the hardware, the keys, browse through its software, see how the operating mode is set up, and get a picture that can't exist unless you see it up close.
I also have a friend who a few months after buying the Genos, sold it and bought the Pa4x. So, what does this mean that Genos is a bad instrument? Of course not, just for some reasons of his own it wasn't what he wanted.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #1014 on: March 25, 2023, 09:59:22 AM »
I cannot fault the Genos and the next one is surely worth the wait. (5 years now) Something will happen for sure.
I do not like the sound of the Korg PAX5 and too many if's and but's attached to the Ketron
"Will they spill the beans at this years NAMM?? 8)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:08:09 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #1015 on: March 25, 2023, 10:57:13 AM »
I cannot fault the Genos and the next one is surely worth the wait. (5 years now) Something will happen for sure.
I do not like the sound of the Korg PAX5 and too many if's and but's attached to the Ketron
"Will they spill the beans at this years NAMM?? 8)

I would imagine Yamaha have been paying special attention to Korg's disastrous PA5X launch, where they have left themselves wide open to criticism, and one would think Yamaha will most certainly not want a repeat of that in the hope of scooping up many disgruntled PA5X owners like me with a Genos replacement...

So, if we need to wait a little longer for stellar product to hit the ground running (unlike Korg) from Yamaha, that will be fine by me....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:33:52 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #1016 on: March 25, 2023, 12:09:56 PM »
Very well summarized Sokratis -one can't repeat these things often enough.

Most here are hobby musicians and too many times we (wish to) buy new keyboard just to have new toy to play with. But if we don't know why exactly we need new keyboard, disappointment usually follows. What I'm saying is, someone can be happier with PSR-SX600 than someone with Genos. Not because PSR-SX600 would be better, but because he made right decision for him. Yes, Genos has "this and that", but who cares if "this and that" is later never used. When buying, we shouldn't look for "the best" keyboard... we should concentrate on things that matter to each one individually.

Having SX700 for few years now (and two Yamaha's before), I know quite well what I like, what I'm missing, what I wish to be better and what I need. If I find such keyboard and I can afford it, I'll buy it -doesn't matter who makes it.
Finding objective information is not easy... because nobody talks about limitations and explains them (as practical consequences). Yes, if lucky, we can tryout keyboard for few minutes in local store. But let's be frank, the only thing we can check is keybed and panel buttons -and that's it. There's not enough time to get an impression of style & voices management, style & voice creation, connectivity flexibility, recording options, etc.
And then, there are "little things" that we many times don't even notice. For example, on Ketron Event, wav sample length is limited to 6 seconds, which in my opinion, is extremely short. I don't know, maybe long sustain is solved differently on Event, but nobody talks about that. Ok, I'm not some pianist, and so 6sec is probably not an issue for me... but it's an 5000€ keyboard, where piano (or any voice) is expected to be flawless -it's simply assumed at that price. That is, Event might be excellent keyboard for me, but how can I know that, if nobody honestly talks about it's limitations and workarounds?

I think above is the main reason why we tend to stick with brand we have... we just try to avoid bad surprises (especially at high priced keyboards). On the other hand, by doing that way, we maybe miss having "the perfect" keyboard  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline kiplis

« Reply #1017 on: March 25, 2023, 12:21:50 PM »
And yet, dealers are selling keyboards by saying; "Preorder now, and you can have your new keyboard in few months"....  ::) How to test and evaluate?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #1018 on: March 25, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
This is why i think that a new Genos is putting the wind up them 8)

« Reply #1019 on: March 25, 2023, 03:24:25 PM »
Andrew, you are most welcome!

Since you did end up with the cp88, make sure you download the latest firmware... it includes both a Bosendorfer and a Steinway sample. Both of which sound really great! Detailed and expressive.

Mark

My CP88 came with 1.5 firmware so has all the updates from what I can see. Good knowing it's not a model that's been lying in a shop for years and years. Had no idea the Hamburg was a Steinway though. It does sound great. A bit more character than the CFX. The U1 and Felt piano are great too. And nice having the likes of the C7 and a few C3s in there also. Don't know if we are going to get any further updates, maybe it's all that can be done I guess. Maybe a Fazioli is possible?

I end up improvving for 30-40 minutes with different piano sounds at a time.

So, so far it's been excellent.  ;D

but that £1000+ RRP on top of what I paid/exchanged. Wow, what a difference.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1020 on: March 25, 2023, 03:35:45 PM »
Hey Bogdan :

If we buy ( internet ) a new arranger keyboard here in The Netherlands, we have 30 days ( after invoice date ) to send it back ( without explanation ) in the original packaging.
Transport will be paid by the supplier.
No damage, in original packaging = 100% money back within 14 days.

JH
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:02:36 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #1021 on: March 25, 2023, 03:46:27 PM »
Very well summarized Sokratis -one can't repeat these things often enough.

Most here are hobby musicians and too many times we (wish to) buy new keyboard just to have new toy to play with. But if we don't know why exactly we need new keyboard, disappointment usually follows. What I'm saying is, someone can be happier with PSR-SX600 than someone with Genos. Not because PSR-SX600 would be better, but because he made right decision for him. Yes, Genos has "this and that", but who cares if "this and that" is later never used. When buying, we shouldn't look for "the best" keyboard... we should concentrate on things that matter to each one individually.

Having SX700 for few years now (and two Yamaha's before), I know quite well what I like, what I'm missing, what I wish to be better and what I need. If I find such keyboard and I can afford it, I'll buy it -doesn't matter who makes it.
Finding objective information is not easy... because nobody talks about limitations and explains them (as practical consequences). Yes, if lucky, we can tryout keyboard for few minutes in local store. But let's be frank, the only thing we can check is keybed and panel buttons -and that's it. There's not enough time to get an impression of style & voices management, style & voice creation, connectivity flexibility, recording options, etc.
And then, there are "little things" that we many times don't even notice. For example, on Ketron Event, wav sample length is limited to 6 seconds, which in my opinion, is extremely short. I don't know, maybe long sustain is solved differently on Event, but nobody talks about that. Ok, I'm not some pianist, and so 6sec is probably not an issue for me... but it's an 5000€ keyboard, where piano (or any voice) is expected to be flawless -it's simply assumed at that price. That is, Event might be excellent keyboard for me, but how can I know that, if nobody honestly talks about it's limitations and workarounds?

I think above is the main reason why we tend to stick with brand we have... we just try to avoid bad surprises (especially at high priced keyboards). On the other hand, by doing that way, we maybe miss having "the perfect" keyboard  :)

Bogdan
Hello Bogdan.
I Agree. As for the sampler and very short samples, yes. This is a serious problem due to several factors which unfortunately I cannot analyze for many reasons. But as we said before, every instrument has its positives and negatives. Everyone can evaluate and judge what is right for them. What I would describe as a very strong point of Event is the ease of creating new styles (midi or audio) with tools that are particularly creative and easy to use. But I say it again. Everyone must assess their own needs. And this evaluation I think today is much easier than ever. Just my opinion.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1022 on: March 25, 2023, 04:28:48 PM »

Hi Guys :

I absolutely agree one has to buy an arranger he wants and he likes. Why not ? We are all free people.  ;)

At the end of this year we might expect 3 highend arrangers : Ketron, Korg and hopefully Yamaha.
However all individual arrangers have a different OS.

I am very familiar with Yamaha's OS for more than 22 years now. Never let me down.
I have gathered so much Yamaha software during all these years.

Gimme one simple reason why a happy customer should go for another brand ...  :)

Best regards, JH

keynote

« Reply #1023 on: March 25, 2023, 04:45:15 PM »
Keyboard manufacturers such as the Big Three i.e. Yamaha, Korg, and Roland, and yes Ketron too, have been shifting to a mostly online purchase format for keyboards in particular. Over five years ago, I purchased my Genos at a local Guitar Center mostly because if there was any problem or it didn't suit me I could return it for a full refund, whereas, most places in the digital realm you have to pay shipping and usually a humongous restocking free if something doesn't work out. But today keyboard manufacturers, etc., I think prefer the online business model because of the convenience and most likely the cost savings vs. brick & mortar stores which a lot of people don't have access to for one reason or another. So if and when the Genos2 is finally released, be prepared to buy it at an online retailer in most cases. Guitar Centers today have slim pickings of keyboards in stock, and I suspect because of the Genos2's astronomical price tag Guitar Center will likely not stock them in their stores, at least here in the USA anyway. That's really unfortunate because there will be no way to 'demo' beforehand to see if the product meets people's needs. I think as time goes on, the phrase "sight unseen" will continue to gather momentum because of the internet scheme of things which, from what I've read, manufacturers are leaning towards more and more. Now watch Yamaha blow my hypothesis right out of the water regarding the Genos2.  But that's fine and dandy with me because I'd really prefer to play the Genos2 in person before I decide to empty my pockets.  ;D

All the best, Mike
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:47:34 PM by keynote »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1024 on: March 25, 2023, 05:32:49 PM »

Almost 2 decades ago Roland ended their high end arranger's production.
Before that time Roland were the market leaders. 8)

As far as I know Roland have never informed their customers why they left this high end arranger market.
Simultaneously 2 Italian producers ended all their arranger production and closed their manufactury.
Ketron is the only Italian manufacterer left.

In 2002 Yamaha lauched their Tyros and were the market leaders in a blink of an eye.
Since then Yamaha never lost their #1 position and are still the market leaders today ... for the next decades.  :D, IMO

JH

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #1025 on: March 25, 2023, 05:44:38 PM »
@Sokratis
I've mentioned sample length limitation just as an example, where many will say "is not issue at all" and others "is unacceptable for me" -that's why it's important to know them. Another example would be for Korg PA5x, where song recording (onboard) is only possible in mp3 format. For me, that's not a problem at all (if really needed, one can still record in wav format by using Line out), for someone else however, it can be a "no-go".
And being at that, every keyboard brand/model has some limitations.. the only question is, which of them we are ready to accept. And many times we must also be ready to adapt, so we can benefit of having some features which doesn't exist on another keyboard -we shouldn't be afraid of learning new things.

@Jeff
Yes, a good return policy is always welcome and makes decision easier. And to answer your question: if you're happy with particular brand, then I see no reason you to change :)
As for Yamaha being a market leader... Casio might be market leader in wrist watches, but Rolex is still considered as better brand  8)

Bogdan

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #1026 on: March 25, 2023, 06:10:21 PM »

In 2002 Yamaha lauched their Tyros and were the market leaders in a blink of an eye.
Since then Yamaha never lost their #1 position and are still the market leaders today ... for the next decades.  :D, IMO

JH

Hi Jeff,

Are we talking in the home market as I would agree with you on that one. I think in a live situation (or as a one man band) I think it's a bit more open and even than that.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #1027 on: March 25, 2023, 06:40:28 PM »

And being at that, every keyboard brand/model has some limitations.. the only question is, which of them we are ready to accept. And many times we must also be ready to adapt, so we can benefit of having some features which doesn't exist on another keyboard -we shouldn't be afraid of learning new things.

That is very true and what I also said in a round about way in one of my earlier posts. Out of all the major keyboards out there, the one that has the least amount of limitations and suits your needs more is the instrument you should be using for whatever purpose it is you're using it for.

For example, I have had my Ketron Event for nearly a week now and I have identified some of it's limitations already when I compare it to my SD60 (which the Event succeeded), but it's strengths is what's allowing me to keep it overall.

As for Yamaha being a market leader... Casio might be market leader in wrist watches, but Rolex is still considered as better brand 

That is very true as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 06:43:12 PM by Danny1972 »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1028 on: March 25, 2023, 07:29:18 PM »
Hey Bogdan :

Rolex might be the winner if we talk about turnover and quality. :)
I cannot afford a Rolex. :D

I am not in the position to say what is the best arranger. Who am I ?
As Sokratis well said : all of them have their pros & cons.
In this case it is not a price problem. All are approx. EU 5,000,--.
It is only a matter of taste, experience, needs and last but not least budget, IMHO.

For the time being my Yamaha Ty4 is still a winner for my personal applications.
No rush at all for me to upgrade.

I cannot convince my wife nor myself I need a new expensive arranger for the time being. :P
Other expenses have priority in 2023.

Take care, my friend
JH
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:23:33 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1029 on: March 25, 2023, 08:00:09 PM »
Hello Danny :

IMHO Yamaha is #1 as far as arranger's worldwide sales turnover is concerned.
As far as I have heard : 90% of Yamaha's high end arrangers are owned by home players ( for hobby only ).

It would be very interesting to let us know why you are happy with your new Event.
BTW ... I am only interested in the pros.  :D

Thanks in advance.
Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:06:06 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #1030 on: March 25, 2023, 08:37:51 PM »
@SokratisCasio might be market leader in wrist watches, but Rolex is still considered as better brand  8)
Bogdan

Nope ... Casio keeps the same time and date as a Rolex does. Rolex is more expensive to do the same job as a Casio. So, that just proves some folks have more money with nothing to blow it on or are just really bad a handling money.  ;D

Drake

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #1031 on: March 25, 2023, 09:00:15 PM »
I just checked and all Rolex watches come with only a 5 year warranty. For $5,000 or more for a watch, that ought to be a LIFETIME warranty. Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable.

By the way ... all the Rolex watches I viewed only have the TIME and DATE (the same as a TIMEX watch). My $22 Casio has the TIME, DATE and tells most importantly what "DAY" it is. Also it came with a 7 year battery.  ;)

I just did the math: By purchasing a $22 Casio verses a $5000 Rolex, I earn an average of $448 every year (for life) by getting the Casio.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 09:13:36 PM by DrakeM »

Offline ton37

« Reply #1032 on: March 25, 2023, 09:50:48 PM »
LOL, I don't have a watch on at all. So I save even more! Besides, my wife does tell me what day it is and when and what I have to do ..  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #1033 on: March 25, 2023, 09:52:08 PM »
I just checked and all Rolex watches come with only a 5 year warranty. For $5,000 or more for a watch, that ought to be a LIFETIME warranty. Rolex warranties are now totally untransferable.

By the way ... all the Rolex watches I viewed only have the TIME and DATE (the same as a TIMEX watch). My $22 Casio has the TIME, DATE and tells most importantly what "DAY" it is. Also it came with a 7 year battery.  ;)

I just did the math: By purchasing a $22 Casio verses a $5000 Rolex, I earn an average of $448 every year (for life) by getting the Casio.

Couldn't agree more.
 :D :D :D
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

« Reply #1034 on: March 25, 2023, 11:50:28 PM »
Quote from: BogdanH
Another example would be for Korg PA5x, where song recording (onboard) is only possible in mp3 format. For me, that's not a problem at all (if really needed, one can still record in wav format by using Line out)
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan, it does have a 16 track sequencer, ( doesn’t do quick record currently)  or are you referring to the audio recording side of things , where it does only record in mp3 format.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #1035 on: March 26, 2023, 12:16:20 AM »
Hi ,
snobbery, when hubby bought his brand new  $70 k BMW 10 years ago.  He pulled out his $12 flip phone. Can you please connect this via Bluetooth ( neither of us could work out how to do it) , the car yard techie looked at him , can’t you afford something slightly better, hubby quipped back, yep , I could have spent $18.😀 . Techie took the hint. haha.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #1036 on: March 26, 2023, 06:33:58 AM »
Hi Guys :

I absolutely agree one has to buy an arranger he wants and he likes. Why not ? We are all free people.  ;)

At the end of this year we might expect 3 highend arrangers : Ketron, Korg and hopefully Yamaha.
However all individual arrangers have a different OS.

I am very familiar with Yamaha's OS for more than 22 years now. Never let me down.
I have gathered so much Yamaha software during all these years.

Gimme one simple reason why a happy customer should go for another brand ...  :)

Best regards, JH
No reason when there is no reason.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #1037 on: March 26, 2023, 01:54:42 PM »
Hi Rikki,

Hi Bogdan, it does have a 16 track sequencer, ( doesn’t do quick record currently)  or are you referring to the audio recording side of things , where it does only record in mp3 format.
I was referring to on-board audio recording of the song that musician plays, which can only saved in mp3 format. As I mentioned, I don't see that as limitation -it's good enough for listening and online (Youtube) publishing. As for "serious" work, it's expected that keyboard will be connected to PC via separate mixer/audio-interface and in this case, we can record in wav format (for further mixing and fine tuning).
And again, I just mentioned mp3 "limitation" as an example.. to show how different wishes, needs and priorities we all have.

By the way ... all the Rolex watches I viewed only have the TIME and DATE (the same as a TIMEX watch). My $22 Casio has the TIME, DATE and tells most importantly what "DAY" it is....
Yeah, is funny with these things... now imagine: For 5000€ TOTL keyboard one needs to buy loudspeakers separately, while 700€ SX600 has them already built in -I'm sure you get the point :)

Bogdan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #1038 on: March 26, 2023, 03:41:32 PM »
The reason for separate speakers on the flagship was to keep the weight down.

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

« Reply #1039 on: March 26, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »
Why pay for low quality internal speakers when this type of instrument expects to be connected to professional quality speakers or monitor speakers ...

« Reply #1040 on: March 27, 2023, 01:04:45 AM »
Hi Rikki,
I was referring to on-board audio recording of the song that musician plays, which can only saved in mp3 format. As I mentioned, I don't see that as limitation -it's good enough for listening and online (Youtube) publishing. As for "serious" work, it's expected that keyboard will be connected to PC via separate mixer/audio-interface and in this case, we can record in wav format (for further mixing and fine tuning).
And again, I just mentioned mp3 "limitation" as an example.. to show how different wishes, needs and priorities we all have.

Bogdan
Hi Bogdan, thought that might be the case.  For me mp3 would be more than enough
(IF I actually recorded 😀) and as you said for serious work, one would use pc.
Actually I used to record sx900 backing tracks  for my es920 piano, (when I had them in seperate  rooms).It was able to play  audio files ,mp3 and wav. and I used to just be able to play along. I couldn’t hear that much difference, so I just stuck with the mp3 format.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #1041 on: March 27, 2023, 02:26:55 PM »
Soundphase has explained  "Why run a Rolls Royce on a Mini engine" 8) ::) :P

You know it makes sense :)

Genos speakers are so tinny and tries to make up the quality with a cheap boom box :-[ ;D  "IMO"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 02:28:41 PM by ugawoga »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1042 on: March 27, 2023, 03:23:37 PM »
Hey John :

Yamaha are producing pro speakers especially designed for recording, mixing and mastering.

Perhaps they might consider to end the production of the present external speaker set for the Genos' successor ?
Just a thought.

JH

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #1043 on: March 27, 2023, 03:46:08 PM »
Speaking of speakers (haha), the SX900 speakers are pretty good for internal speakers, I can keep up with a band.

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #1044 on: March 28, 2023, 10:09:15 PM »
Hello Danny :

It would be very interesting to let us know why you are happy with your new Event.
BTW ... I am only interested in the pros.  :D

Thanks in advance.
Best regards, JH

Hi Jeff,

Yes of course to answer your question.

I am happy with the Event because of course what is the main reason why someone buys an instrument is because it sounds good, and yes the Event sounds excellent. The category of ‘real’ styles as they call it do sound exceptional. There’s about over 100 of them and should cover most music genres.

I found the OS easy to use and work out, I haven’t found any complications with it.

Sliders are organised really well. Touch screen is very responsive and very high res, you can change to many colours or themes or make your own but I’m happy with the default blue.

Sounds are top notch and I’m really pleased that Ketron have added some really nice choirs & vocals that are in line with the best of them out there.

One of the most beautiful things about it is its design, it’s actually the lightest Ketron at 32lbs compared to my beast of the SD60 at 42lbs, it’s really slick & stylish without compromising the metal build quality, I think it’s because Ketron made it as slim as possible.

There’s maybe more things I could say but I do really like this arranger keyboard.

I’ve had it 6 days so far not even a week!

All the best to you.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 10:12:02 PM by Danny1972 »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #1045 on: March 28, 2023, 10:47:03 PM »
Let me first thank for your very interesting reply, Danny. :)

It looks like you are very pleased with this new high end arranger.
It also sounds like you have received what you were expecting and even much more. I am so happy for you.

CONGRATULATIONS !

I would be very grateful to let me know your net purchasing price.
If you can share this amount with me plse
be so kind to send me a PM.
If that is not possible for you I will understand and respect that.

Enjoy your new instrument !
Best wishes, JH

« Reply #1046 on: March 29, 2023, 12:01:26 AM »
Speaking of speakers (haha), the SX900 speakers are pretty good for internal speakers, I can keep up with a band.
Must be a pretty quiet band ;D. At any rate, good to hear (no pun intended).

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #1047 on: March 29, 2023, 02:55:31 PM »
Let me first thank for your very interesting reply, Danny. :)

It looks like you are very pleased with this new high end arranger.
It also sounds like you have received what you were expecting and even much more. I am so happy for you.

CONGRATULATIONS !

I would be very grateful to let me know your net purchasing price.
If you can share this amount with me plse
be so kind to send me a PM.
If that is not possible for you I will understand and respect that.

Enjoy your new instrument !
Best wishes, JH

Hi Jeff,

I have PM'd you as requested :)

You are quite right I am pleased with the Event but you asked me only to write down the positives so I did ! By no means is this a perfect keyboard, it has it's quirks and annoyances as well, there is no perfect keyboard out there.

I really want to see Yamaha make some movements and noise now about their next offering because otherwise it's going to be a very long time before we hear anything from Ketron and Korg seeing that they've released their flagships pretty close to each other and can't expect anything new from them for a very long time, maybe Korg would do a Pa1000 follow up with the Pa5x design and Ketron will do a 61 key Event with speakers but even then they will be years off I should think. So come on Yamaha, give us some more to talk about, hint hint !!!

« Reply #1048 on: March 29, 2023, 03:16:06 PM »
Agreed, Danny. Us Yamaha users are getting impatient. Thanks for the update 👍.

Offline john smies

« Reply #1049 on: March 29, 2023, 03:17:46 PM »
Hi Jeff,

sent you a PM as well.
please reply using my email:  pa******@**********.nl

greetings,
John Smies

Edit 2023-03-29 by overover: Removed email address.
Please do not post your email address in the public forum. Registered users can see your email anyway by opening your profile (by clicking on your user name, on the left side of one of your posts).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:25:04 PM by overover »