Author Topic: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron  (Read 155945 times)

Offline mikf

Re: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron
« Reply #450 on: December 20, 2022, 02:43:36 PM »
It is obvious from the volume of forum posts on the subject that new TOTL products from Korg and Ketron and the technology they offer are of great interest to many forum members, including those who wonder and speculate how Yamaha will respond. As a moderator I currently see no downside in this as long as it remains informative, respectful, and provided no one is using this forum to actively promote these products.
It still represents a relatively modest proportion of overall forum posts, and we see no need to set up additional forum sections just to accommodate this.
Mike

Offline Duffy

« Reply #451 on: December 20, 2022, 03:24:25 PM »
Is there such a thing as a Ketron forum where we could read about the attributes of their keyboards, rather than a Yamaha keyboard dedicated forum  8) ???

Cheers

There is, but it just says the same as it does on here and many members on here will be curious and will not have membership on a Ketron Forum to read it.
Presumably, you have chosen to read about a Ketron keyboard on this Yamaha keyboard Forum.
As we are on an arranger keyboard Forum, people find it interesting to see what is happening in the world of arranger keyboards.

Offline Henni

« Reply #452 on: December 20, 2022, 03:56:09 PM »
If I'm following this properly, then what you are saying is that in effect each chord can have its own pattern within the part. So while on Yamaha you define one pattern per style part / variation, and it transposes according to the chord, the Ketron can use a selection of different patterns.

Could be interesting - but could also be overused if you're not careful

Hi DerekA,

From what I can make out from the videos you can have a completely different style pattern for every different chord and these presumably are also different for each variation as well. Sokratis demonstrates this nicely in his video. Really AMAZING stuff! Also it seems as if you can have different patterns for different chords also on the intros & endings.

Found yet another video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHmhKd1kBQw

Until there are more, I'll post the ones I do find for the moment. Boy, just imagine if Peter Baartmans could demonstrate all the available futures for us.

Henni
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 04:04:36 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline RONBO

« Reply #453 on: December 20, 2022, 04:09:05 PM »
Hello all.

Please take note that this thread has been read by almost 29,000 guests and members.

To me, this topic is interesting and also relevant

Just sayin'

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #454 on: December 20, 2022, 05:36:40 PM »
Hello all.

Please take note that this thread has been read by almost 29,000 guests and members.

To me, this topic is interesting and also relevant

Just sayin'

regards

Ron

Well said

The Other Ron
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

« Reply #455 on: December 20, 2022, 06:26:23 PM »
I'd wager there was the same amount of speculative talk about the Genos on other forums months before its release. Those folks likely engaged in ideas about what Yamaha had up their sleeve and whether Korg, Roland, and other companies would answer with something of value against the Genos. It works both ways 😉.

As I mentioned earlier, the amount of "new discussions" about the Genos is waning. Our new members are most welcome and they keep us all anchored in a "Genos" mindset. Filling the remaining gap with this current hot topic keeps our forum interesting and maintains friendship and communication among members.

What else do we have to discuss? Covid, respiratory illnesses, inflation, Putin? That stuff is just depressing. I'd rather talk Genos2 versus PA5X versus Event 😀.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 06:28:12 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Henni

« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 04:29:33 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Marty

Offline EileenL

« Reply #457 on: December 21, 2022, 02:51:52 PM »
Told us nothing. Where are the speakers on this keyboard.

Offline Henni

« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »
Where are the speakers on this keyboard.

Same place as on the Genos.
...Fly Forever!

Offline mikf

« Reply #459 on: December 21, 2022, 07:05:56 PM »
You can plug it into the Genos aux input just like you would a guitar, then it passes they to the external speakers.  Or use a mixer and connect it directly to the external sound system.
Mike

keynote

« Reply #460 on: December 22, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
Here is a new YouTube Ketron Event video by Sokratis Kavlentakis.  This video deals with the Ketron Event User Modeling Import Chord Midi file feature. Seems pretty straightforward. A simple midi file can be imported and used in a style on the Event to create a user song with accompaniment backing. Nice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AHVc-16ro

All the best,
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #461 on: December 23, 2022, 05:23:27 AM »
Hey Mike :

Wonderful ! Thank you for sharing this video made by Sokratis.  :D

Thank you Sokratis for demonstrating this great Event's feature.  :)

Best regards, JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #462 on: December 23, 2022, 01:55:18 PM »
I would not be interested in anything that requires you to hook up a computer. If you can't do it on the keyboard then it is not for me.
 As for taking parts of a style to make a new one this is very easily done on Yamaha Keyboards and on Genos has been make even easier.

« Reply #463 on: December 23, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
I would not be interested in anything that requires you to hook up a computer. If you can't do it on the keyboard then it is not for me.
 As for taking parts of a style to make a new one this is very easily done on Yamaha Keyboards and on Genos has been make even easier.
Dear Eileen
I totally respect your opinion.
However. You are probably wrong because everything can be done also here onboard.
Simply for those with programming knowledge many things are done easier on a computer.
As for the fact that some things are easier in Genos again allow me to disagree. And I'm talking to you from the professional's side as well developer and as you know I also have the Genos where so far I still work with it in my live performances.
I would not like to go into details, but more or less many of us know what is happening and how serious limitations for creative development (from the users) not only Genos has but also all Yamaha arrangers until now.

Offline mikf

« Reply #464 on: December 23, 2022, 04:29:20 PM »
Sokratis
I agree with you that everything I have seen so far indicates that creative use of the keyboard functionality is much improved on the Ketron compared to a Yamaha.
But the bigger question is how important is that to the average arranger buyer. The vast majority of arrangers are currently bought by people who want the instrument to be easy to operate and play, and sounds good when they do play, even if they have limited skills. They often have little or no interest in spending time becoming creative via the keyboard operating system. They would rather this was all done for them so they can just press as few buttons as possible and put their effort into just playing. An good example of this is that there are many more posts asking for a suitable style for a song than posts asking how to make or change styles.
I don’t dispute that there are also number of potential buyers who wish to be able to produce better styles, midis, voices etc etc. But they are a relatively small number. You can see it on this forum where deep discussion of keyboard functionality attracts a lot of posts - but from the same small number of members and not from the majority.  And the danger is that the technical people - advanced users like yourself - that are driving development may not think like the person that is and has been the main arranger market target. Truth is, Eileen may be much more representative of the main arranger market than they are.
It’s a thought.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 05:45:51 PM by mikf »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »
I quite agree on what Mike just said. But still I wonder... let me explain:
Many of us are curious when will Yamaha release next keyboard. And so we make guesses about date, pricing and improvements. But what kind of improvements are we hoping for? Sometimes I have a feeling, that (at least for majority here) there are actually no specific wishes -it looks like the only wish (or hope) there is, is that Yamaha would "surprise" us. From what I have read, Genos has very good voices, plenty of styles, keybed is good, connectivity is good... So, on what department do we hope for the surprise? Where can Genos (and it's cheaper cousins) be improved?

Speaking for me (PSR-SX that is!), besides better keybed, I would appreciate better voices. But what would really make a big change for me, is much easier style creation. And I don't mean creating drum or bass pattern. I wish for better (more authentic) styles than those on 450€ keyboards. For example, I wish my style would contain crescendo or glissando, but it's impossible to make that -at least not in a reasonable manner.

Some say "I don't care about creating styles.. there are plenty available" and I respect that. But my guess is, many didn't even try it (or they did and gave up), because it looks too complicated -which it is. What I'm saying is, if style creation (which is basic attribute of arranger keyboard) would be more intuitive, then maybe more owners would be encouraged to try it.
And that's the main reason why I'm interested on what competition does.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Henni

« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 04:28:54 AM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

« Reply #467 on: December 24, 2022, 06:07:34 AM »
Sokratis
I agree with you that everything I have seen so far indicates that creative use of the keyboard functionality is much improved on the Ketron compared to a Yamaha.
But the bigger question is how important is that to the average arranger buyer. The vast majority of arrangers are currently bought by people who want the instrument to be easy to operate and play, and sounds good when they do play, even if they have limited skills. They often have little or no interest in spending time becoming creative via the keyboard operating system. They would rather this was all done for them so they can just press as few buttons as possible and put their effort into just playing. An good example of this is that there are many more posts asking for a suitable style for a song than posts asking how to make or change styles.
I don’t dispute that there are also number of potential buyers who wish to be able to produce better styles, midis, voices etc etc. But they are a relatively small number. You can see it on this forum where deep discussion of keyboard functionality attracts a lot of posts - but from the same small number of members and not from the majority.  And the danger is that the technical people - advanced users like yourself - that are driving development may not think like the person that is and has been the main arranger market target. Truth is, Eileen may be much more representative of the main arranger market than they are.
It’s a thought.
Mike
Dear Mike
I would totally agree with you.
And maybe the right thing would be to make a distinction between people who buy an arranger just to play and nothing more which is completely respectable and legitimate because what we care about is music, and people who want to create through this instrument. Probably, as you rightly said, the second portion of people are less, but due to the musical culture of my country (Greece) as well as all the Balkan countries, Turkey, and Arab countries, much more things are required (styles, sounds, etc.) to meet these needs and which of course, in no case can any company cover these needs. So, the solution in our case is two things: 1) Sampler which is necessary for creating new sounds that we need, 2) Many and specialized possibilities in style creation.
So, I come to the following conclusion: When we talk about a flagship arranger and especially when we talk about Arranger/Workstation then both portions of people should absolutely be covered. Because it is not possible for any company to talk about a professional flagship Arranger/Workstation and not provide you with all the tools one needs to create. Here I would also like to point out that I think the only company that provides you 100% all the tools (onboard) and the best OS environment to build (from scratch) is Korg. Regardless of the new data that Ketron brings with the Event (Real Audio Chord, Real Audio Bass, Multichord etc.) Korg is the only one that provides you 100% of what you need without the need for any third-party program, nor do you encounter any limitation in capabilities (midi programming) etc.
Of course, lately a lot of things have gone wrong with Pa5x, and it is certain that Korg was in a big hurry to release an instrument that has a 100% new operating system where many functions that Korg arranger users knew from old times are absent as well as there are still several stability problems operating system. I was lucky enough to have the Pa5x 61 in my house for a month and all this I found out as a very old Korg user. Korg has promised that everything will be solved through future updates, but the user who paid 4700€ for a Pa5x 76 is not satisfied with the company telling him that (they will) be fixed. But that is another discussion.
Finally, I would like to say that I realised that a completely civilized dialogue can take place here, and that makes me especially happy. Through our disagreements I found with pleasure that everyone when they express what they think always gets something, someone who reads it learns and personally I always revise opinions when there are civilized dialogue.
And as the ancient Greek philosopher, legislator and poet "Solon" very wisely said "Γηράσκω αεί διδασκόμενος" which means: "I'm getting old but learning all the time".
I personally learn from wherever there is something that will help me learn something that makes me revise what I currently know. So, in the essential dialogue there will always be something in which you will put we thoughts and opinion about something, in another dimension that we might not have realized on our own. And this is excellent!!
Thank you very much!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 06:16:14 AM by Sokratis1974 »

« Reply #468 on: December 24, 2022, 06:19:03 AM »
I quite agree on what Mike just said. But still I wonder... let me explain:
Many of us are curious when will Yamaha release next keyboard. And so we make guesses about date, pricing and improvements. But what kind of improvements are we hoping for? Sometimes I have a feeling, that (at least for majority here) there are actually no specific wishes -it looks like the only wish (or hope) there is, is that Yamaha would "surprise" us. From what I have read, Genos has very good voices, plenty of styles, keybed is good, connectivity is good... So, on what department do we hope for the surprise? Where can Genos (and it's cheaper cousins) be improved?

Speaking for me (PSR-SX that is!), besides better keybed, I would appreciate better voices. But what would really make a big change for me, is much easier style creation. And I don't mean creating drum or bass pattern. I wish for better (more authentic) styles than those on 450€ keyboards. For example, I wish my style would contain crescendo or glissando, but it's impossible to make that -at least not in a reasonable manner.

Some say "I don't care about creating styles.. there are plenty available" and I respect that. But my guess is, many didn't even try it (or they did and gave up), because it looks too complicated -which it is. What I'm saying is, if style creation (which is basic attribute of arranger keyboard) would be more intuitive, then maybe more owners would be encouraged to try it.
And that's the main reason why I'm interested on what competition does.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
Dear Bogdan, you expressed with this opinion exactly what I had in mind!!
Respect!!

The following users thanked this post: BogdanH

« Reply #469 on: December 24, 2022, 06:28:46 AM »
Agree with the fact a better style creator could bring new customers to arrangers.

I’m not someone who only wants to be surprised.
I want seamless sound switching, vst sound quality, and more « random » effects everywhere and not only for drums.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #470 on: December 24, 2022, 07:24:41 AM »
Hi :

IMHO it is an exciting and very interesting challenge for Yamaha and especially for all endusers 2 competitors are launching new and great high end arrangers in 2023. ;)

I must admit I am very impressed by the results of both competitive companies. Congratulations ! :)

Now it is up to Yamaha to steal the show and surprise the entire Arranger World.

Last but not least it is up to all customers to make their final choice : a Genos2, a PA5X or an Event ...

Best Wishes, JH

« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 07:26:20 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #471 on: December 24, 2022, 01:00:30 PM »
Everyone has raised some interesting points in these last posts. Here are my thoughts. Companies must think of two basic things when creating any arranger.

1) Does it sound good?
2) Is it usable?

Yamaha has excelled in voice creation. Comparing them to VST voices is unfair. Although we’d like to have VST voices, it's not financially feasible for Yamaha to include them in a compact arranger. The pianos and organs are still way behind. The piano player I replaced in a band one year ago, used a Korg keyboard built in 2012. It's organs are so far superior to the Genos that it's embarrassing. The Genos pianos aren't too bad but there is room for improvement. Styles have improved a lot over the past 30 years but that is because the voices used to make them have improved. The overall structures are still 30 years old and boring, despite the addition of some new worldly styles. They still use short, repetitive phrasing. Listening to players like Peter Baartmans is a real treat but he is so far ahead of any of us (I assume) that it's nearly impossible for any of us to harness that level of potential out of the Genos. We need technological help to narrow that gap. This is achievable by understanding the second point, “Is it usable?”

For the most part, the Genos is easy to use right out of the box. After a bit of reading, one can dive into the effects and editing features. But as Sokratis mentioned, if Yamaha touts the Genos as a creative professional keyboard, then they need to provide tools that are easy to use and that mimic more conventional computer schemata. Some mention that creating or editing styles is easy. Perhaps for them. I have a learning disability (actually we all do in one form or another). A lot of members find the Style Creator to be very confusing and just not worth the effort. Many of these players are musically capable of creating excellent styles but they lack the Yamaha logic to do it. If otherwise good players, can't expand their horizons through style creation, any keyboard will become old very fast.

There is the argument that the Genos has enough tools to keep anyone busy for a lifetime. To an extent, that’s true. There is a catch though. A few years before Covid, I was playing in a blues band. Our drummer and bass player were excellent. They had good meter and were a pleasure to play with. Problem: They were boring to listen to. There was no incentive to expand my own musical horizon. That’s not an excuse but it's hard to be the only one in a band who likes to color outside the lines once in a while. During that time, I had the pleasure of sitting in with a professional and very successful band. The bass player was a seasoned professional who had started the band in the late 60s. The drummer was a young kid from Toronto who at the time, was one of the most in demand studio session players. The point is, we played many of the same songs my current band was playing but this time the rhythm section was so slick, it helped me expand my own horizons.

This post is a bit long but I'm sure you get the idea. The Genos sounds great for the most part but it is mired in old technology. Korg and Ketron seem to have moved to the “next phase,” leaving the Genos in their dust. Yamaha already has great sounds in the Genos, save for the pianos and organs – an easy fix for them. They need to revisit the overall sound, not just the solo voices. To do this, creativity must not be stifled by a substandard operating system.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

keynote

« Reply #472 on: December 24, 2022, 04:23:00 PM »
I see Henni already posted a link to this new Ketron Event YouTube video. I would like to post the link again here because this video really exemplifies the great sounds and features on the Ketron Event, including the Real Chord/Real Bass additions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_HMmO4ZlA&t=54s

PS: There are English subtitles for this video. Enable the Closed Captioning (CC), Voilà!

All the best,
Mike
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 04:26:25 PM by keynote »

Offline Henni

« Reply #473 on: December 26, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
Thank you Mike!

Here's another tad of info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4aOrMo9Yyc
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 02:14:20 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline Henni

« Reply #474 on: December 27, 2022, 07:26:47 AM »
...Fly Forever!

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #475 on: December 27, 2022, 09:59:24 AM »
Delivery status of Event has changed at Thomann from "2-3 weeks" to "Available in several months" (same as for Korg Pa5X now).

Offline EileenL

« Reply #476 on: December 27, 2022, 12:16:34 PM »
Perhaps they are waiting to hear news from Yamaha. 8)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #477 on: December 27, 2022, 12:23:05 PM »
Will there be some good news from Yamaha in 2023 ?
That would be great.

JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #478 on: December 27, 2022, 03:11:31 PM »
Its anyone's Guess.

Offline ton37

« Reply #479 on: December 28, 2022, 08:27:35 AM »
Mmm.. I strongly suspect that a tactical or strategic game is currently being played between the players: Ketron, Korg and Yamaha. It seems that Yamaha is keeping a close eye on the Korg and Ketron and scrutinizing their products on the dissecting table. They probably have to/want to make new adjustments, based on the presentations of Korg and Ketron, to distinguish themselves at least from Korg (and to a lesser extent from Ketron) Looks like: two fighting over a bone and the third go with it (mm.. if you know what i mean)  ;) 8)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #480 on: December 28, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. As soon Genos was released, R&D team started to work on it's successor -it's nothing like "let's wait and see see what Korg does and we make it better". At the time Pa5X came to market, Yamaha probably already had "a working" example of next keyboard on the desk. That is, all fundamental decisions were already made -changing them would mean throwing away years of work and tons of money.

Bogdan

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #481 on: December 28, 2022, 09:03:08 AM »
Delivery status of Event has changed at Thomann from "2-3 weeks" to "Available in several months" (same as for Korg Pa5X now).

Hey Bogdan :

The ongoing low supply of parts might be the reason of the long delay ( Ketron and Korg ) ?
Perhaps Yamaha are dealing with the same problem, who knows.

JH

« Reply #482 on: December 28, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. As soon Genos was released, R&D team started to work on it's successor -it's nothing like "let's wait and see see what Korg does and we make it better". At the time Pa5X came to market, Yamaha probably already had "a working" example of next keyboard on the desk. That is, all fundamental decisions were already made -changing them would mean throwing away years of work and tons of money.

Bogdan
It takes a long time to industrialise the manufacture of a motherboard and such specific components. This explains why when the keyboard came out, it seemed to us to use old generation components.
So I think they are working on several generations of prototypes simultaneously to test innovative solutions. They didn't wait for the Genos release to have roadmaps and prototypes for Genos 2.
The covid and the new economic situation certainly changed planned roadmaps.

But the release of the ELA-1 is a good sign. This means that Yamaha still considers these specific instruments worth selling.

Offline ton37

« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2022, 11:16:50 AM »

Bogdan
Thnx for your reply: I don't mean 'from scratch'. It is only logical/commercial, if you have not put your product on the market yet, to investigate whether you can make some adjustments. Something like: hey, that's smart of our competitor: see if we can implement something like this here too? So a kind of adjustments that can be implemented in the prototype without too much effort. Nothing wrong with that in itself, of course. Sort or advancing insight. Common in 'competing' products.
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2022, 11:55:42 AM »
IMHO Yamaha will follow their own strategy to develop their new high end arranger keyboard. Nothing else.

Being the Market Leader for more than 20 years,  Yamaha exactly know what the enduser needs and wants.

They are fully aware of what needs to be done to improve and to maintain their present #1 worldwide position and reputation.

Of course it is always interesting and useful for Yamaha to know what is going on in this market but they always will go their own way. ;)

Best wishes, JH

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:17:55 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Henni

« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2022, 12:39:46 PM »
For those who want to know more: (some of the very last videos listed are re-posted so you can read the comments in the subtitles like Mike correctly suggested)

1. Settings
2. Subtitles
3. Auto
4. English

https://youtu.be/ZAtF67PcZrM

https://youtu.be/cTuuomWWB34

https://youtu.be/CQS1njl8JM4

https://youtu.be/HJDvbB7Yp0E

https://youtu.be/My1Az0xDqsw

https://youtu.be/uki-bcmmsIg

https://youtu.be/QScDR98EKNY

https://youtu.be/ioBCBakUGjg

https://youtu.be/W9COE0QFkjU

Ketron learned from Yamaha. 1st Time ever they keep us in the dark till the very end. And then they are in no rush to deplete their current stocks either. If you want one, get in the queue! It is just THAT good! None of the demos of the other models impress me any longer...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:05:58 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #486 on: December 28, 2022, 02:10:28 PM »
Well so far Ketron has not impressed me with any of its Demo's.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #487 on: December 28, 2022, 03:42:46 PM »
I am not impressed by Henni's video's either.  ???
I do not speak Italian and have no clue what this gentleman is doing or explaining.

Wished there was at least an English translation/subtitling though.  ;)

JH
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:50:21 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Henni

« Reply #488 on: December 28, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
Jeff,

Follow my advice. Open the settings menu at the right hand bottom of utube. Select CC (Subtitles). Click on the arrow. Select Auto translate. a Menu pops up with all the languages. Select English. Now everything that is being said is printed in English on the bottom of your screen.

Wow, coming from the Audya & after playing with BIAB I am super impressed by this product. There is a huge quality difference in the style parts. Sound much, much more real.

But hey, that's just me...
...Fly Forever!

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #489 on: December 28, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
I am not impressed by Henni's video's either.  ???
I do not speak Italian and have no clue what this gentleman is doing or explaining.

Wished there was at least an English translation/subtitling though.  ;)

JH

Agreed,  Ketron can do a lot better if there was more organized English Tutes ...... Instead of screenshots, show a video of what you are attempting to do and have a video showing you from the back on which buttons  to press and where they are !!!!

I am so close to buy one but what is holding me back is the complete vagueness of instructions........ It's not like I can purchase this from my local music store and if I cannot understand it, I can easily return or trade !

It just baffles me why Mr Ketron is not making it a priority to produce English Professional Videos right at the start of their Campaign.

A good example of how to create a Video Tutorial is how Korg is handling this...

https://www.korg.com/caen/products/synthesizers/pa5x/videos.php

Their videos directly from Korg are outstanding.!!!!

Henni, Please show me how to use the english sub titles on the last 5 Videos..... Would love to read the english Sub Titles

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:21:55 PM by rphillipchuk »
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #490 on: December 28, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
I have only played a Ketron once, and for just about a half-hour. To me, most of the voices sounded thin, the drums were loud and harsh, and the guitars were dreadful at best. For the most part, nothing has really changed with the newer models. Now, my dear departed friend, Don Mason, was able to tune the Ketron guitars a bit to achieve more realism, however, he was never able to get them to sound as good as Yamaha's guitars right out of the box. For me, I'll stick with Yamaha until the day I die, which is, unfortunately, not that far away. :(

One of the major problems with Ketron is support, which in the US is only available through one person, AJ. He's a nice person, I have known him for many years, but he can be somewhat difficult to get in touch with if you have a problem. There are no factory authorized service centers here in the US, other than sending the keyboard to AJ for repairs, which could be a lengthy process as he is the sole support person here. I don't know about Ketron support in other parts of the world, but I seriously doubt that there are a lot of support centers anywhere. With Yamaha, Korg and Roland, there are a large numbers of factory authorized repair centers located throughout the world, turn around time is usually fairly quick, and you can reach the representative on the telephone during normal working hours. For me, the  decision to stick with Yamaha is an easy one.

Good luck, on whatever you decide upon,

Gary 8) (The old codger.)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Henni

« Reply #491 on: December 28, 2022, 04:43:57 PM »
Henni, Please show me how to use the english sub titles on the last 5 Videos..... Would love to read the english Sub Titles

Okay.

1. Open this link

2. Click on the gear icon right bottom of screen which says "settings".

3. Select subtitles/cc

4. Select Italian(auto-generated)

5. Select subtitles/cc again.

6. Select "auto-translate"

7. Select "English"

8. Watch the video.

Please note: None of these videos were made by Ketron. They were made by users. Big difference...

The first few videos demonstrate how styles sounded on the SD9 and BK9. Then note the difference when upgraded to the Event. Now tell me again there is not a HUGE difference in sound quality!

As for support, with all my fiddling I completely messed up my HDD on my Audya. Withing days I received  two new CDs by courier which I used to re-load my HDD which restored my Audya back to normal. Note, WITHIN DAYS! And me being in South Africa! Now tell me same on any other product - I am not stupid as I read here on a daily basis.

Next I destroyed my HD by playing my Audya on my lap whilst keeping tempo with my feet shaking the arranger violently as I did so. Again, within two to three days a new solid state HDD was couriered to me which solved my problem. Please DON'T tell me about poor Ketron service as that is nothing but a big lie!

My Audya topic on the SynthZone forumn now has nearly two and a half million views - there is still HUGE interest in this product! There is NOTHING wrong with Ketron or their products. I speak from first hand experience.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:15:17 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline rphillipchuk

« Reply #492 on: December 28, 2022, 05:03:47 PM »
Okay.

1. Open this link

2. Click on the gear icon right bottom of screen which says "settings".

3. Select subtitles/cc

4. Select Italian(auto-generated)

5. Select subtitles/cc again.

6. Select "English"

7. Watch the video.

Brilliant !!!  I never knew how to do this !

Thanks Henni

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #493 on: December 28, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »
Hi Henni :

Thank you so much for the English subtitling instructions ! :)

You are very familiar with Audya / Ketron.
Most of us are not and they might it find very hard to say goodbye to Yamaha and go for an Italian brand.

It looks like you have made your decision yet and order an expensive Event in the near future, right ?

What about the Ketron's after sales service in your country, South Africa ?

Best regards, JH

Offline Henni

« Reply #494 on: December 28, 2022, 05:29:57 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I will purchase my Event direct from Ketron or AJ. No Ketron service or agents in South Africa to my knowledge. That's what made their quick response to my problems so outstanding.

Such things do not bother me at all. As long as they react to my my problem from WHERE EVER, I am happy. And I have truly been happy with my Audya.

Cheers,

Henni
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 05:31:33 PM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #495 on: December 28, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »
Hi Henni :

Thank you for your reaction.

I understand there is no Ketron dealer nor a Ketron service centre in your country, South Africa, am I right ?

Are you sure you can buy directly from the manufacturer Ketron in Italy ?

Will Ketron Italy not charge you the insured transport costs from Italy to South Africa ?

What about import duties and extra tax ?

Do you have to send your Event to Italy ( and back to S. Africa ), at the expense of Ketron, in case of problems during the warranty period ?

What happens after the warranty period ?

IMHO it all sounds like a very risky and a very expensive transaction. Am I wrong ?

Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 07:22:41 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Henni

« Reply #496 on: December 29, 2022, 05:33:32 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Suppliers:

1. Ketron (they did supply the Audya back then, not sure they'll do same for Event).

2. AJ - I trust him 100% and he always delivers on his promises, even to his own disadvantage.

3. Frank - everyone talks VERY good about him.

Yes, I will pay for transport, import etc. But most of the above will supply at discounted price, I'm rather sure of this. This should make up for it. Never seen a Ketron product in any music store in South Africa as yet.

Note: If you search the net you can i.e. purchase a brand new Genos at a fraction of what you'll pay at the music store. I've seen so for myself.

No, I do not foresee any need for the product to be sent back for warranty issues. And if the need should arise, surely that's not at all impossible to arrange.

Cheers,

Henni
...Fly Forever!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #497 on: December 29, 2022, 07:29:43 AM »
Hi Henni :

Buying a Yamaha or a Korg high end arranger keyboard in South Africa might be more expensive ( ? ) but a lot easier and less risky to find, right ?  ;)

I have been told Frank ( USA ) is not selling Ketron. AJ might be the only supplier in the US. Plse read Gary's comments.

Last but not least I wish you good luck and and a lot of fun with your new Event.  :D

Apparently the Event's delivery has been postponed for a couple of months.  ???
Perhaps Sokratis can tell you more about the present delay's situation.

Best regards, JH

Offline Henni

« Reply #498 on: December 29, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
Wow!!! What an upgrade from Ketron's previous best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyII8mJzgPI
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 09:22:35 AM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #499 on: December 29, 2022, 11:21:10 AM »
Hi :

IMHO this is a " home player " demo, right ?

It looks like there is no much difference between the voice sound quality ( e.g. the sax voice ) of the Event and the SD9 of Ketron.
Being a guitar player I am not so impressed by the guitar voice sound quality. I prefer Yamaha's. A very personal opinion though. ;)

For those who want to buy a new high end keyboard soon it will not be easy to make the right choice, I guess. A PA5X or an Event ?

If I had to decide, I would wait for Yamaha's Genos2 first before making any decision.  :D
It is a matter of time and patience.

Best wishes, JH