Author Topic: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron  (Read 151388 times)

Offline mikf

Re: New TOTL Arranger from Ketron
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2022, 11:23:07 PM »
We already considered that and decided it just doesn’t happen enough to justify a separate section. There is always a flurry when a new product arrives, then it dies off naturally.
And what difference does it make anyway. You don’t have to read it if you don’t want to. The forum is arranged in sections for tidiness and ease of post searching. But most people looking frequently probably browse recent posts rather than sections anyway .I know that’s what I do.
There is another important reason for not having a separate section for other brands, or multiple sections for other brands. We have always been very tolerant of posts that are not strictly Yamaha arranger related. They  can be general chit, chat, information about other brands .. whatever ..as long as it’s respectful. But there is difference between that and inviting posts on other brands. That in my view is a step too far and could turn this forum into something different. Nothing is ever perfect, or suits everyone, but I think we largely get the balance about right.

BTW I am sure Drake knows there is no Ketron section. He is just being mischievous.
Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 11:45:43 PM by mikf »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2022, 01:14:41 AM »
This.

A 128 kilobit per second constant bit rate MP3 may be discernible from a wav audio file if you do a direct A/B comparison. But 192 and 256 kbps MP3s are almost impossible to distinguish from the original wav. And 320 kbps sounds exactly as the wav, even if you have golden ears.

Maarten
Hi Marten
I am 71 and can tell the difference.
Mp3 at 320 Kbps is ok for most people
Flac files are much better quality than Mp3

To me songs that are simple without a lot going on like early 60s  there is not a lot of difference , but as you get through the 70s and 80's there is a lot more detail in the songs and Mp3's squash certain things to bring the best out of an Mp3.
So some of the detail can be missing.
You want to have a listen to Hi Definition files  and with a good VPN you get can loads from certain sites free. Nudge , nudge!! 8)
I have a sony and an older Ipod Classic , but i only use wave files as they sound great on my  Marantz Hi -fi
Most of all . I am back also to vinyl in a big way as you cannot beat that analogue sound of warmth especially Emerson, Lake and Palmer --Tarkus 8)

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:18:14 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2022, 01:24:51 AM »
Agreed, Gunnar. There's not much happening in terms of Genos queries at the moment. With all the talk of a new Genos and two other companies making some waves with their new releases, the current discussion is quite healthy.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2022, 07:38:43 AM »
After a long time of silence, competition information might now be something that keeps this business alive and exciting for many of us.

Nowadays most of us do own a Yamaha arranger keyboard and are happy with their instrument.
There is no direct/urgent need to upgrade nor to go for another brand but ... many of us like - in the first place -  to know, to hear, to see and to compare what is going on in " Keyboard Land ", IMHO.

I would like to call it : Natural Arranger Keyboard Instinct.  :)

However, I wonder if the sales of these ( expensive ? ) new arrangers will be successful in a time period where nothing is stable and prices of basic needs are increasing daily, all over the world ?

I have my doubts.

For home players ( more than 80% of this Forum ? ) there is no rush to step up, I guess.
Most of us will think twice before spending such an amount of money, IMO.  ::)

Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 09:43:15 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline maartenb

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2022, 11:23:57 AM »
Most of us will think twice before spending such an amount of money, IMO.  ::)

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Jeff. If a new keyboard is important to someone, they'll find ways to have it.

Every month I put €60 in my Keyboard savings account. After three years, there is €2,160 in that account. Combined with the sale of my present keyboard (whether it was a Tyros 4, 5 or Genos) I have enough to buy the next Yamaha keyboard.

So if a Genos 2 offers important improvements (whenever it comes I don't care; I'm still thrilled with my Genos), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Maarten
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 11:25:09 AM by maartenb »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
Yes I agree,
  If someone really want's a new model, they will find the means to buy it. After all there are no pockets in shrouds.

Offline mikf

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2022, 02:01:51 PM »
What Eileen says is true at individual level. But at a macro economics level there is no doubt that high inflation and a recession would heavily affect sales of non-essential items. Providers of these type of goods - and home keyboards are certainly in this category - must be concerned.
Mike

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2022, 02:43:48 PM »
I agree with Eileen at an individual level!

I want to upgrade when the time comes. All three companies have great products with features that stand out, but what makes one come to the top, IMO, is the excellent customer service/support and supporting software, and no one does that better than Yamaha.

So, I am looking forward to getting the Genos 2, which, if Yamaha follows the Genos release, will show us teasers about three months before the official release.

:)

Uday

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2022, 03:15:53 PM »
Agree with mikf -and even more, when we speak about TOTL keyboards. These things are meant for professionals (also price wise) and pro's don't really change equipment that often as we would think. And when they do upgrade, they try to stick with the brand they already use -simply because it makes continuing more comfortable. And so, there really must be something exceptional "on the other side of fence", to make brand switch to happen.
As for enthusiastic home/hobby keyboard musicians (willing to spend some cash)... For many here, it's probably the first time they even heard about Ketron. I think, we tend to make a "safe" (future proof) decision: we buy what's proven not to be wrong. And here Yamaha and Korg are well positioned, I think. Especially Yamaha, because here we can also find good entry level keyboards. And as we know, once you start with certain brand, you usually stick with it. Ketron however, has no such offer... and so we come to my first paragraph.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2022, 03:41:36 PM »
Hi Guys :

The street prices of the newest high end 76k arranger keyboards ( Ketron, Korg and Yamaha ) will be approx. between Euro / US$ 4,500 -- and 5,000 each, I guess.

I wonder how many people ( present keyboard owners ) will upgrade in 2023 ?
Between 10 - 15% or ( much ) more ? 8)

Best regards, JH

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:49:35 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2022, 03:56:48 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure about that, Jeff. If a new keyboard is important to someone, they'll find ways to have it.

Every month I put €60 in my Keyboard savings account. After three years, there is €2,160 in that account. Combined with the sale of my present keyboard (whether it was a Tyros 4, 5 or Genos) I have enough to buy the next Yamaha keyboard.

So if a Genos 2 offers important improvements (whenever it comes I don't care; I'm still thrilled with my Genos), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Maarten

+1 at 100%.
It's a matter of personal budget and priorities.
I have never been disappointed by my Yamaha purchases for 40 years. Even if I always expect more ....

« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2022, 10:29:00 PM »
After hearing the PA5X and Event, for me to put out that kind of money to upgrade my Genos, Yamaha would need to be leaps and bounds above these two competitors. While I know they're capable, the Genos 2 cannot be a simple "refresh" of the Genos 1 the way Tyros 4 was to Tyros 5 and earlier. That idea will not cut it in this new world of arrangers 😬. The technological demand alone is for a HUGE upgrade.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2022, 11:24:07 PM »
I have seen lot of keyboardists that bought a new keyboard (me too :) sometimes) Not of a better quality that justify the amount of money, They also became not better musIcians or learned more skills. Just a matter of want having a new tool with the latest digital technique and it has to  be the top model. Nothing wrong with that. One can see it in cars, phones, tv etc. One have mostly good resons (to  convince themselves) to justify the deal or are simply honest. ;)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 11:26:22 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2022, 06:46:45 AM »
After hearing the PA5X and Event, for me to put out that kind of money to upgrade my Genos, Yamaha would need to be leaps and bounds above these two competitors. While I know they're capable, the Genos 2 cannot be a simple "refresh" of the Genos 1 the way Tyros 4 was to Tyros 5 and earlier. That idea will not cut it in this new world of arrangers 😬. The technological demand alone is for a HUGE upgrade.

I think you are right, Lee.

Now it will be an old-fashioned competition battle. ;)
... WHO WILL BE THE WINNER IN 2023 ?

JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2022, 11:56:27 AM »
YAMAHA as always.

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2022, 12:09:11 PM »
Good points, Jeff and Eileen. I agree with Eileen. Yamaha will be last to this party but they'll bring the best house warming gift 🎹! A few weeks after Genos 2 hits the market, the other two will be saying, "Why didn't we think of that??"

Offline ton37

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2022, 06:45:44 PM »
Good points, Jeff and Eileen. I agree with Eileen. Yamaha will be last to this party but they'll bring the best house warming gift 🎹! A few weeks after Genos 2 hits the market, the other two will be saying, "Why didn't we think of that??"
Then I hope for a Genos with a 61,5 keys ... nobody has that yet  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2022, 11:24:05 PM »
I think Yamaha will only produce a 76 note Flagship as they have proved so popular.
 The S Series will be the ones with 61 note.

Offline ton37

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2022, 12:10:50 AM »
I respect you, but in this case i believe my dealer: 61,76 and 88. Things can change...  ::)
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2022, 05:50:41 AM »
Only time will tell if you are right, Ton. :)

But ... why should Yamaha produce an 88k Genos2 version ?
They have their CVP's family ( only 88k ), right ?

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 06:25:06 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ton37

« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:39 AM »
The reasoning is actually very simple: because the customer demands it and to compete with other brands. The former certainties no longer apply in these turbulent times. So in order to survive, every company has to forge a new path if it is to ensure its survival.
If I'm wrong I'll admit it frankly, but for now I'll keep it to my inside information: Genos in 3 models.
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2022, 08:02:00 AM »

I understand your argument, Ton but ... keep in mind that each Yamaha dealer ( all over the world )  has signed an NDA ( = Non Disclosure Agreement ).
That means each Yamaha dealer is absolutely not allowed to give any new product information before these products are officially announced and/or launched by Yamaha.

I have the impression your dealer probably wanted to inform you KORG will launch a PA5X in 3 key versions : 61, 76 and 88 ... or am I completely wrong ?

Best regards, JH

Offline Shubid

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
I have the impression your dealer probably wanted to inform you KORG will launch a PA5X in 3 key versions : 61, 76 and 88 ... or am I completely wrong ?
That's what I thought, and bear in mind that nobody has talked about a 61/76/88-Genos, before the PA5X was released.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »
Well, I for one have not seen lots of people wanting 61 note Genos. If anything, most want a 76 note one. That is why it has sold so well.

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2022, 01:29:00 PM »
Agreed, Eileen. The 76 key version is the "sweet spot" for most players, especially gigging musicians. It's light to carry, has all the bells and whistles, has a decent key bed, and is big enough to assign three zones for us players who need piano, strings, and brass in one registration (for example).

I can see an 88 key version for the die hard piano players but the very nature of the Genos' functions and voices negates the need for an 88 weighted keybed. Like someone said, there's the CVP series for that purpose.

Offline mikf

« Reply #125 on: October 06, 2022, 02:29:13 PM »
Ton
Doesn’t help survival to produce a version that is not economically viable. Yamaha had real sales numbers from Tyros to show this was the case with their 61 vs 76 versions. That’s why they dropped it.
Yes, there are some customers who would really like a 61 note version, but there just didn’t prove to be enough of them on Tyros to be worth the additional cost of designing, marketing, manufacturing and supporting a separate model. And customers had a good 61 note alternative anyway from Yamaha with much lower cost SX models. Smaller and cheaper, - that proved popular. But smaller and almost same price did not.
 I don’t think anything changes just because Korg did it. May be it works for Korg because  they have no SX equivalent. Or maybe Korg are just making a mistake and will regret it. I just don’t see Yamaha doing it.
Mike

Offline maartenb

« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2022, 03:02:02 PM »
May be it works for Korg because  they have no SX equivalent.

Korg have the PA-hundreds series, like PA600, PA700, PA1000.

Maarten
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 03:09:58 PM by maartenb »

Offline ton37

« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2022, 03:09:04 PM »
I understand your argument, Ton but ... keep in mind that each Yamaha dealer ( all over the world )  has signed an NDA ( = Non Disclosure Agreement ).
That means each Yamaha dealer is absolutely not allowed to give any new product information before these products are officially announced and/or launched by Yamaha.

Best regards, JH
Yes, you are completely wrong  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »
Hey Ton :

I would be grateful to let me know why I am completely wrong. :)

What makes you think why Yamaha will manufacture 3 Genos2 versions : 61, 76 and 88 keys ?

It looks like you are 100% convinced these 3 Genos2 versions will be available, right ?

I am looking forward to reading your reaction.
Thank you for your reply !

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 03:24:47 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ton37

« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2022, 04:25:45 PM »
I'm not tied to any NDA, but I do want to protect my resource so he doesn't get in trouble. And I just trust him. This answer doesn't improve credibility, so everyone is most right if they think differently. In any case, I am postponing the purchase of the PA5x-61, pending the new Genossen which will appear within 1 year. Then I have plenty of choice ( I prefer the 61 Genos?). The pre-announcement could go a little faster than we think ;-)).
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2022, 09:50:37 PM »
Korg have the PA-hundreds series, like PA600, PA700, PA1000.
Maarten
Yes, but these models are previous generation and quite a bit of a downgrade compared to the new and very impressive PAX5. Whereas the SX900 was not all that far behind the Genos in overall performance at the time of its introduction. Yes there were some feature differences, but it was pretty close to being a Genos 'mini with 61 keys and a significant price difference. 
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2022, 10:19:06 PM »
Cannot understand people wanting a 61 note Keyboard when you can have a 76 note keyboard.
With a 76 note keyboard you have a better range and also handy for keyboard splits. 8)

Genos 2 --No smoke without a fire ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:20:43 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2022, 10:45:29 PM »
Cannot understand people wanting a 61 note Keyboard when you can have a 76 note keyboard.
Neither can I and Tyros sales demonstrated that most people think this way. Some people claim that size makes a difference, but the size difference is so little that it's hard to imagine how that could matter to more than a very few.
I think that most who claim that a 61 note is important really want a much lower price version, but it would not be much lower in price. 
Mike

Offline ton37

« Reply #133 on: October 06, 2022, 11:47:41 PM »
It is a matter of having a choice, each for his/her own. How many sizes are there for a smartphone, a laptop, a tv, a computer monitor, a car, a tablet etc. etc.?? All those products can do the basic wherefore it is made. So why would it be different for a keyboard? It doesnot always have to be a financial dimension, it could be a practical choice. Luckily one can decide for themselves what makes you happy   ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:49:46 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2022, 01:09:08 AM »
It is a matter of having a choice, each for his/her own. How many sizes are there for a smartphone, a laptop, a tv, a computer monitor, a car, a tablet etc. etc.?? All those products can do the basic wherefore it is made.
A valid point but you're comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to keyboards it boils down to how many octaves you need. The extra octave provided with the 76 key version requires very little space and yet offers so much more. Trust me - I would have to drastically alter the sounds I provide to the various bands I play in if I only had the 61 key version! In fact, it would be quite impossible to do some of the things I do now.

Offline mikf

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2022, 01:17:27 AM »
For the manufacturer, it’s always the financial consideration that rules.  It would be poor management for it not to.
If you have several variations of a cell phone or other high volume consumer products then you can easily absorb the additional cost of having multiple variants because of the large additional sales volume they might generate.
But arrangers are not sold in those quantities. And the Tyros history obviously convinced Yamaha they couldn’t recover those additional costs  from the small number of 61 key Genos likely to be sold. Its seems a sound business decision. 
Mike

Offline ton37

« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2022, 05:16:32 AM »
I appreciate your reactions, but what I meant is simply; I decide what I need and you decide what you need  :) . I never ever had problems with a 61 kb, allthought I have had the Genos and the Tyros 5-76. So why would there a reson for me to buy a 76 note kb ? Only because the fact that the manufacterer decides for me what is good for me by giving me no choice? O no! I'm
only interested in a 61 notes kb even if the consequence is a little less quality or less functionalyties. But the nowadays quality is quite good of some branches. Besides: lesser keys means lesser mistakes...  to play my favourite I need only 1 key: 'One note Samba' 😁😁
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2022, 05:23:18 AM »
Up to now we know the Ketron Event will be available
in 76 keys only.
The Korg PA5X in 3 note versions 61, 76 and 88.

All of us - except Ton37 - believe the Yamaha Genos2 will be available in 76k only.

Apparently Ton37 has been convinced by his dealer the Genos2 will come in 3 note versions: 61, 76 and 88.

Time will tell who is right. ;D

JH

« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 06:37:37 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ton37

« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2022, 05:39:52 AM »
Now you are right, Jeff ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »
I doubt that any dealers anywhere know a thing about a new Genos. Yamaha are very strict on who knows what and only essential staff will know anything and will risk losing their jobs if things are released before time. Dealers are the last to know anything about new launches.
  My Money is on 76 note only.

Offline mikf

« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2022, 01:57:20 PM »
Eileen - here’s a couple of questions for you. If they were to release a new Genos early next year would you definitely buy one.  And if they released a 76 key and 88 key version with only a small price difference, which would you choose?
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »
The present consumer Korg PA5X Dutch street prices :

61 note = Euro 4200,--.
76 note = Euro 4500,--.
88 note = Euro 4999,--.

JH
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 03:29:04 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2022, 11:54:59 PM »
Hello Mike,
  Yes I would buy a new Genos and as I am not a pianist would still choose a 76 note one.

tyrosman

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »
Genos is due for Discontinued
Total Rubbish >:(

tyrosman

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2022, 06:20:24 PM »
I must admit a fantastic guitar sound on demo
I think that a new Genos will be out shortly 8)
  i dont think so ;)

tyrosman

« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2022, 06:30:43 PM »
Must admit I am not keen on the look of it as it seems quite bulky to me. No mention if it has a touch screen. Not very impressed.
Same here Eileen ill stick with what we kno ;)

tyrosman

« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2022, 06:32:16 PM »
Yes I agree,
  If someone really want's a new model, they will find the means to buy it. After all there are no pockets in shrouds.
Very true

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #147 on: October 08, 2022, 06:35:04 PM »
I doubt that any dealers anywhere know a thing about a new Genos. Yamaha are very strict on who knows what and only essential staff will know anything and will risk losing their jobs if things are released before time. Dealers are the last to know anything about new launches.

Can confirm. I rarely find out more much before launch date (at most a month), but usually a matter of days or a week.

keynote

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »
The more I listen to the Ketron Event the more I like it. Here is a new live demonstration of the KETRON EVENT - Sexy Ambient Sax played live. Short, but sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pD_dmm1t0

Best,
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »
Am I interpreting what I hear correctly - the sax is free playing riff fills by itself following the chord played? If so that is an amazing feature.
Mike