Author Topic: Lovely Expansion Packs system  (Read 2351 times)

Lovely Expansion Packs system
« on: September 24, 2022, 10:51:17 AM »
Dear friends,

I have been reading a lot about Expansion Packs and YEM, with quite a lot of problems complained by many members.

I like to say that by listening to the suggestions of Eileen, Chris, and others, I utilize the YEM system with no problem at all, enjoying the additional resources that Expansions Packs provide.

So I though to share my very positive experience, resuming the few parameters involved:

-My  Genos OS version is 2.10
-My YEM version is 2.7.0
-Every time I want to load new Pack (or Packs) into Genos or delete from Genos some file, I do the Full reloading (using a .cpi file).

.....and everything works fine!

Thank you all for your precious suggestions.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Lovely Expansion Packs system
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 02:29:54 PM »
Hello Angelo,

I'm glad that YEM is fulfilling your needs. But the thing is, the software is called "expansion manager" and in my eyes it doesn't really deserve that naming -considering, it's the only software Yamaha provides for keyboards.
Let me give an example...
You load some pack into YEM and that pack contains manyl voices and styles. Now let's say, you only like two styles, which you wish to install on your keyboard. And now the question: how do you know which voices (in pack) you need to add, so your two styles will sound properly? The answer is: You just don't know -because YEM doesn't provide that info. Means, if you don't have some other software by hand, you're forced to install all voices inside pack, even if you only use one style. And the problem becomes unsolvable in case of protected (cpf) packs. That is just one example of what YEM can't do (and it's such a basic thing).
So yes, there are objective reasons to complain about YEM.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Re: Lovely Expansion Packs system
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 10:44:53 PM »
Dear Bogdan,

I agree 100% about the YEM limitations. In the mean time I appreciate the positive results I got thank to YEM: new styles and voice, to expand available resources to choose from for making song-styles.

I could do a long list of features I'd like to be added to Genos, or modifications to existing features. Nevertheless I love Genos, and still believe is the best arranger on the market, even better than the newest Korg Pa5X, that was designed many years after genos (I had many Korg flagship, till Pa3X and loved them).

The purpose of my post is just to help people to get additional styles and voices trough YEM in the simplest way (.cpi files). That's it.

Thank you,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.