Author Topic: PSR-EW425 Drum Kit voices MIDI issues  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Piano Tone

PSR-EW425 Drum Kit voices MIDI issues
« on: September 23, 2022, 05:17:27 PM »
Hey there!  I'm new to MIDI so the answer to this may be obvious . . . I created a MIDI song on my PSR-EW425 that includes style drums as well as a track with some custom finger drumming using voice 299 (Rock Kit) and exported that to a couple different DAWs; in both DAWs the style drums import fine but the finger drumming track comes in as a keyboard.  Anyone know why this would be happening and what the easiest fix would be?  I'm trying to figure out how to change an organ track to a drum track in Garageband . . .

Offline Piano Tone

Re: PSR-EW425 Drum Kit voices MIDI issues
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 06:01:14 PM »
I found a bizarre but cool solution that works (not for marking the source MIDI any differently, but how to fix this in Garageband for iPad)

https://youtu.be/mm9ZxG_v3K0

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 06:12:42 PM »
Assuming that the DAWs are sending MIDI to the EW425...

The PSR-EW425 follows the Yamaha XGlite voice architecture which is a super-set of General MIDI. At the very least, GM channel 10 is the drum part.

If you finger-drummed into some other part, needs to be set to the desired drum voice. Rock Kit is Bank Select MSB 127, Bank Select LSB 0, Program Change 1. Depending on your DAWs convention, you may need to subtract one from the Yamaha Program Change number.

If the finger-drum is not channel 10, you may also need to send an XG drum set-up SysEx message to the desired MIDI channel.

Hopefully, your DAW(s) have instrument definitions for the PSR-EW425 (or something like it). It's much easier to change voices by name than MSB/LSB/PC.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline David Stevenson

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 06:47:17 AM »
Assuming that the DAWs are sending MIDI to the EW425...

The PSR-EW425 follows the Yamaha XGlite voice architecture which is a super-set of General MIDI. At the very least, GM channel 10 is the drum part.

If you finger-drummed into some other part, needs to be set to the desired drum voice. Rock Kit is Bank Select MSB 127, Bank Select LSB 0, Program Change 1. Depending on your DAWs convention, you may need to subtract one from the Yamaha Program Change number.

If the finger-drum is not channel 10, you may also need to send an XG drum set-up SysEx message to the desired MIDI channel.

Hopefully, your DAW(s) have instrument definitions for the PSR-EW425 (or something like it). It's much easier to change voices by name than MSB/LSB/PC.

Hope this helps -- pj

Hello sir sorry to interrupt.. help me out sir
When I install a style that I downloaded from the internet which has table kit(Indian drum) it doesn't play the tabla part but plays normal drum kit (standard drum kit) how to find the lsb and msb for tabla kit

Edit 2023-08-17 by overover: Moved reply text out of the quoted text

Hi David, please do not write your reply text inside the quoted text. After clicking on the "Quote" button, scroll all the way down in the text editor so you see the final [/quote] tag. After that, add a blank line and write your reply text THERE. Thank you Chris (overover)

By the way, if you want to write a reply without quoting an existing post: You can find the "Reply" button below the last post in a thread (topic). To start a new thread (topic), click on the appropriate board (e.g. >>> "PSR-E Series") from the >>> start page of the forum and click on the "New Topic" button (top right) there.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 05:09:17 PM by overover »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 06:39:44 PM »
you can find the lsb/msb of anything by using that sound /voice and recording a midi. When you look at the midi data in an editor (such as on PSRsx700/900/Genos) as long as you display all (don't filter any midi events out) you'll see the LSB/MSB at the start of each track.

Mark