Author Topic: Tips for using GM&XG and GM2 Voices in PSR-SX900  (Read 3279 times)

Offline PSR-USR-IND

Tips for using GM&XG and GM2 Voices in PSR-SX900
« on: September 20, 2022, 02:38:24 AM »
Hi Everyone,
In PSR-SX900, GM/XG and GM2 Voices are not given as Right-Hand or Left-hand voices like previous models although they are given as Playback (Style/Song) Voices. If we view Voice Folders while trying to change a right or left-hand voice, the last two category folders listed are "Legacy" and "MegaVoice". However, while viewing the voice folders through Revoicing Styles tracks, "XG&GM" and "GM2" are the last two folders.

I found a way to use XG and GM2 Voices as Right Hand and Left-hand Voices. For details scroll down this page. 

https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/onacimus.html
Onacimus Sahayam
My Styles

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, hans1966, rogerbeaudry, mhack

Offline Bernie9

Re: Tips for using GM&XG and GM2 Voices in PSR-SX900
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »
Thank you so much for all you have done for us over the years.  I can just imagine the countless hours you have spent in great style conversions.

Bernie

The following users thanked this post: rogerbeaudry, mhack

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
Note that on the SX700/SX900, you can also save these XG&GM voices in your favorites.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

The following users thanked this post: mhack

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 01:04:32 AM »
Hi,
Thank you to the links to your styles. You’ve done a brilliant job with the Genos and CVP  conversions. I tried downloading the Tyros 5. for SX900, but came up with not found error, only 12 dj and 13 ethnic downloaded.
Also Tyros4 for sx 900,  4 . Swing and Jazz had not found error.

Not sure this is the right place to mention it.

Anyway, thank you so much for all the work.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 08:43:12 AM »
Off topic

... I tried downloading the Tyros 5. for SX900, but came up with not found error, only 12 dj and 13 ethnic downloaded....

Hi Rikki,

Some of the links for "751 Tyros5 and CVP-709 styles for SX900" on the "Onacimus' Conversions" site are obviously broken at the moment. Here are the correct links:

Onacimus' Conversions
Tyros5 and CVP-709 styles for SX900 (2022-09-27)

01-Pop&Rock T5+UD.zip
02-Ballad T5+UD.zip
03-Dance T5+UD.zip
04-Swing&Jazz T5+UD.zip
05-R&B T5+UD.zip
06-Country T5+UD.zip
07-Latin T5+UD.zip
08-Ballroom T5+UD.zip
09-Movie&Show T5+UD.zip
10-Entertainer T5+UD.zip
11-World T5+UD.zip
12 DJ Styles.zip
13 Ethnic.zip

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:48:56 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, LaHawk, ULOCNI, RobertM, Roshure

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »
Thank you Chris,
appreciate your help.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline RobertM

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 06:45:07 PM »
Hi Chris,
Many thanks for resolving this. I had battled with it for a week or so getting  error and file not found messages.
Robert.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2022, 08:03:43 PM »
You're welcome, Rikki and Robert! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2022, 08:07:36 PM »
Just curious. Why are GM/XG and GM2 Voices even needed on a Genos or an SX?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 08:38:47 PM »

Hi Larry,

XG/GM/GM2/GS Voices on high quality keyboards such as Genos, Tyros5, PSR-SX or PSR-S9xx/7xx are better than their reputation. These Voices can be used in many ways, e.g. for doubling/thickening Panel/Legacy voices.

In many cases, such voices are also well suited as solo voices (e.g. when panel/legacy voices are too "obtrusive") or for revoicing styles or MIDI files. When used in keyboard parts, these voices can also be significantly improved by making small changes in the Voice Set / Voice Edit or changing the effect settings.

By the way, I don't believe in denying or making it difficult for the user to access certain voices on the keyboard. In 2014, at meetings with the Japanese Genos development team in Germany, we pointed out that this does not make sense. I hope that this restriction will be abolished in the Genos/SX successors.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 08:52:35 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, LaHawk

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 09:29:46 PM »
XG/GM/GM2/GS Voices on high quality keyboards such as Genos, Tyros5, PSR-SX or PSR-S9xx/7xx are better than their reputation....

Agree fully!
I actually "complained" to Yamaha why they removed the option to select XG/GM directly. See here if interested:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,54495.msg425649.html#msg425649

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline ckobu

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2022, 09:56:07 PM »
This is a video showing how GM/GS sounds will be available in USER memory.
In the SONG mixer, let's access the "invisible" voices. We store one of them in the registration. We invite that voice through registration and copy the entire group to a special USER folder. Simple and efficient.

https://youtu.be/MeI5Jx8NUkw
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, LaHawk, Roshure

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2022, 10:41:13 PM »
Thank you ckobu! -will check tomorrow ..and I though I saw all of your videos  ::)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2022, 03:12:02 AM »

I use some of those voices in the "Sound Effect" folder and the "Ensemble".

The "ghost" sound and the "Aahs" and "Oohs" as I recall for sure using in my style creating.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2022, 07:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to give those GM/XG and GM2 Voices a go. Not sure, but I believe someone made them available via a download, to save on a USB drive
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline pjd

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2022, 07:09:32 PM »

Hi Larry --

Minimally, GM, XG and GM2 voices are part of GM, XG, GM2 compatibility. Specific, defined MIDI messages (continuous controller, System Exclusive) and effect types are also part of the standards.

Many existing Standard MIDI File songs depend on one of these compatibility standards. (Roland GS is yet another standard.) The main benefit to the user -- songs developed for a particular standard should sound the same on all platforms supporting that standard.

The cost in actual memory space is minimal (maybe 16MB to 32MB at the most). So, it costs next to nothing to include them in a factory sound set. Yamaha (Roland, Korg, etc.) invested a lot of effort getting them to sound decent (enough) while fitting into the small memories of yesteryear.

There's a few charmers in there. I still use the 60s Italian Organ in the GM2 sound set as a combo organ.  ;D

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:11:22 PM by pjd »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2022, 07:17:27 PM »
Thanks PJ. Makes sense to me but it's kinda weird Yamaha hides them in newer arrangers. Gotta try that Italian Organ, don't remember that in the past, but it sounds interesting.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2022, 07:55:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to give those GM/XG and GM2 Voices a go. Not sure, but I believe someone made them available via a download, to save on a USB drive

Onacimus has provided the following two downloads:
>>> GM&XG.zip
>>> GM2.zip

These downloads contain the GM&XG and GM2 Preset Voice files of the PSR-S970. Just unzip the downloaded files and copy the unzipped folders "GM&XG" and "GM2" to a USB stick (and if desired, also copy them to the User drive of your keyboard). Note that you do this in the Voice Selection display.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:58:05 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk, wersianer, Roshure, Pityus