Author Topic: Transition from s970 to e473  (Read 3220 times)

Offline JDavid

Transition from s970 to e473
« on: March 29, 2023, 08:10:49 PM »
My previous thread was about wether I could use favourite styles like free play and piano styles for s970  when I trade down to an instrument that is more basic and easier for me to operate - mostly !
I now have the e473 and the s970 is heading for e bay.
I realise that I can’t use my wireless adapter so I have connected by cable so I can see if any of my s970 styles do work on the e473.  Initially musicsoft did see the old s970 usb memory stick but not any new audio files.  I decided this was because that stick had been formatted on the s970.  I bought a new usb memory stick from the approved list.  I formatted it on the e473 and recorded a couple of audio tracks.  Musicsoft on the iPad saw the 32GB usb stick with two folders - flash memory and system drive - when opened there were no files to be seen.  Also on the stick was a usb icon which said 4GB free.  This seemed strange as the stick is 32GB and I’d only recorded two audio files.  When I clicked on the usb icon there was nothing displayed inside.  I plugged the usb into my MacBook and opened the 2 folders which were empty. Then I opened the usb icon and inside were the 2 audio files I had recorded on the e473.
Could someone explain why I had a problem seeing my recordings through musicsoft on my iPad ?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 08:36:14 PM by JDavid »

Online overover

Re: Transition from s970 to e473
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2023, 12:53:53 AM »
My previous thread was about wether I could use favourite styles like free play and piano styles for s970  when I trade down to an instrument that is more basic and easier for me to operate - mostly !
I now have the e473 and the s970 is heading for e bay.
I realise that I can’t use my wireless adapter so I have connected by cable so I can see if any of my s970 styles do work on the e473.  Initially musicsoft did see the old s970 usb memory stick but not any new audio files.  I decided this was because that stick had been formatted on the s970.  I bought a new usb memory stick from the approved list.  I formatted it on the e473 and recorded a couple of audio tracks.  Musicsoft on the iPad saw the 32GB usb stick with two folders - flash memory and system drive - when opened there were no files to be seen.  Also on the stick was a usb icon which said 4GB free.  This seemed strange as the stick is 32GB and I’d only recorded two audio files.  When I clicked on the usb icon there was nothing displayed inside.  I plugged the usb into my MacBook and opened the 2 folders which were empty. Then I opened the usb icon and inside were the 2 audio files I had recorded on the e473.
Could someone explain why I had a problem seeing my recordings through musicsoft on my iPad ?

Hi David,

Who told you the E473 was "easier to operate" than the S970?

In fact, you'll probably find that you've taken a big step backwards with the E473. Among other things, in my opinion it is much more cumbersome to use than any PSR-S model.

Like previous PSR-E models, the E473 cannot load style files larger than 50 KB and MIDI song files larger than 250 KB. It still uses the earlier Style file format "SFF" (= SFF1) and only recognizes the Style file extension ".STY". All newer models (from PSR-S910 and Tyros3) use the "SFF GE" (= SFF2) format, i.e. all newer styles have to be converted backwards (SFF2 > SFF1) for use on the E473. In addition, most current styles are usually larger than 50 KB. In many cases, you would have to laboriously delete unnecessary sections (fill-ins, main variations, endings) from the relevant styles in order to be able to use them on the E473.

Also note: All middle and top class models use styles with 3 intros, 4 main variations, 4 fill-ins + break, 3 endings. With PSR-E models there is only 1 intro/ending (with tricks you can use two different ones) and 2 main variations / fill-ins.

If you still have your S970, I strongly advise you NOT to sell it. Or go for an SX700/900. You will probably (if I interpret your initial post correctly) not be happy with the E473.

Regarding "MusicSoft Manager" app: In the E473 Owner's Manual (page 55) you will find the note that only MIDI files (.mid), Style files (.sty) and Backup files (.bup) can be transferred (to and from a Computer when "Storage Mode" is turned on, or to and from a Smart Device by using the "MusicSoft Manager" app).

Audio files (.wav) are not mentioned there. In addition, the file transfer in connection with the "MusicSoft Manager" app (as well as with the "MusicSoft Downloader" program for Windows) runs via the USB-MIDI protocol. For large files such as .wav files, this type of file transfer would be extremely slow anyway.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 04:02:24 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 05:47:44 PM »

Terrific answer, Chris!

-- pj

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »
Terrific answer, Chris!

Thank you, pj! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 08:02:28 PM »
Completely agree with Chris. The s970 is *significantly* more powerful and easier to operate than an E473, especially as most of the newer styles (after 2009) won't work  on the e473.

Mark

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2023, 08:10:57 PM »
Confirmed!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline JDavid

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 04:55:15 PM »
The S970 was wasted on me.  The E473 suits me fine and the nice thin manual and lots of helpful video instruction from Morrie Reece and Pianotone have meant that I'm getting to understand the 473 much more usefully than the 970.  Meanwhile I have much less money tied up and more prospects of a holiday this year.

Online overover

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 08:09:24 PM »
The S970 was wasted on me.  The E473 suits me fine and the nice thin manual and lots of helpful video instruction from Morrie Reece and Pianotone have meant that I'm getting to understand the 473 much more usefully than the 970.  Meanwhile I have much less money tied up and more prospects of a holiday this year.

Thanks for your feedback, David!

I'm glad you like the E473 so much. If you can live with the limitations compared to mid-range models like the PSR-S97x/77x or SX900/700, then of course everything is fine. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Coen-PSR473

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 11:13:06 PM »
Hi Chris
i'm a newbie , well i played long long time ago and would pick up playing again
just did read your comment about the E473
that only styles not bigger then 50kb can be loaded
this one is pitty couldn't find anything about this one before
i have some who are just a little bigger like 54 , 55 51 kb ,, so probably wont work on the E473
the thing is ,,i just ordered a E473  ::)
is there any other keyboard for beginners who can use the bigger files or is it then up to the 700 or 900 ?
or maybe you know somewhere i can find this info so i can check ?
it is , just i wanted first to see if i can pick up playing again and if i got some more pleasure about it then years ago
regards coen

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2023, 09:00:21 AM »
hello Coen,
Although style size is a limit, I don't think that this is a such big problem. The thing is, if style is not made specifically for E473, you will first need to edit it accordingly on PC anyway. And by doing that, you can/will remove all unnecessary junk from it (i.e. boring long intro's). You will also need to remove two out of four variations (because E473 only can have two of them), etc. In short, you will guaranteed end up with style way smaller than 50kb. The actual problem I see, is style "shortening" process, which (in your case) can only be done on PC and can thus be very frustrating.
That SFF1 vs SFF2 thing (that Chris mentioned) is usually also problematic. Without going into details, even if you manage to convert SFF2 style into SFF1 style, it can easily happen that resulting style won't sound as expected.

E473 is not bad keyboard -but it's not an arranger! That is, styles there are only a feature, which makes (learning) playing more fun and that's it.
If you look at E474 that way, then I see no reason not to enjoying it. But if you wish to be more creative, then the answer is arranger keyboard. And in this case, I would recommend PSR-SX600.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Coen-PSR473

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2023, 07:55:32 PM »
Hi Bogdan
many many thanks for your information , very helpfull
think will dive into the info about the SFF 1 , 2 rtc styles to see the different
used google for some styles , but all i see is styles and no info , also on the yamaha site ,  but have to look better i think  :)

have also looking arround and think for a beginner is the psr-E473 a good keyboard
also if i compare into the yamaha PSR beginner keyboards
i will receive it in a couple days , cause wasn't in stock anymore
then it will be eassier to see anything about the styles
regards coen

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2023, 08:39:43 PM »
i will receive it in a couple days , cause wasn't in stock anymore
then it will be eassier to see anything about the styles

Yes, take some time to learn the keyboard and try to enjoy it as it is. After a while you'll have the answer if you made the right decision.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 11:42:58 AM »
The E473 just didn't cut it for me.

The price is very good, and the keyboard will probably find a place, (I sold mine to a music teacher) but right from the box, it felt lightweight, the screen is just far too small, bluntly, it's cheap, and the keys are just completely awful.
I think Yamaha dropped the ball with the E473... It's a keyboard with a lot of potential but it belongs in a toy store.

Accepting the fact it's not an arranger, you only have to handle and pick up the SX - 700 to feel a massive difference in quality and build.

Keith.
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner