Author Topic: Live Control, Keyboard Volume.  (Read 3102 times)

Offline brucerez

Live Control, Keyboard Volume.
« on: September 19, 2022, 07:37:58 PM »
Hi,

I would like to assign the knob 2 to keyboard volume to control the volume of R1,R2, R3.
Is there any global setup for it instead of going to save it to each Registration or OTS separately?

Thank you

Offline DerekA

Re: Live Control, Keyboard Volume.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 12:20:21 PM »
Short answer - no

If you have selected to save different live control setups per registration, there's nothing you can do here - the registration will load whatever you saved with it.

Many people have a 'setup' registration which just sets the live control the way they normally want it, and don't save live control setting to a registration unless there's a particular special setting they want to use with that registration. Then after using a registration which changed the live control settings, you can just reload that startup registration to put it back again to your 'standard' setting.
Genos

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 01:18:40 PM »
DerekA has given a right answer. A 'workaround' could be that you set one rgistration (e.g.nr. 1) as a basic setup rigistration that you use for each new registration, wih or without the freeze function. But I guess you have considered this workaround?
Sorry, I overlooked Derek's answer, he pointed this also.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 01:21:56 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:32:50 PM »
Hi brucerez,

On Genos and Tyros5, I always leave the Keyboard Volume parameter at 127 (and always save it that way in registrations). To control the keyboard volume, I always have an expression pedal (FC7) connected, set to affect only the Right1/2/3 parts.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, NAMA

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 02:51:50 AM »
Thank you all guys for your replies and suggestions.

@ Chris,
Thanks for your suggestion about expression pedal (FC7).
Personally I've never used any kind of pedal and try to stay most compact possible with accessories. But thanks anyway.

The knob 2 is assigned by default to Reverb to all registration I have. I didn't save anything in Registration regarding this knob 2 so far.
Due to how I use my keyboard for my job in live performances what I would like to do is that I assign the Knob 2 to Keyboard Volume and then save it to
each OTS [1-4].

I did some experiences, Live Control > Knob 2 set to Keyboard Volume and save it to all OTS [1-4] with Live Control ticked.

Problem:
I select for example OTS 1, I turn down the knob 2 to zero position, can't hear the volume, no problem. And then turn it up to max, I can hear the sound, no problem,
this is what i want.
But when I select another OTS 2, 3 or 4, they are all muted, cant hear anything since I left the the knob 2 to zero position.
That means they [OTS 1-4] do not reset to the volume level saved previously.

Is that normal? despite of saving each OTS with Live Control ticked?

Thank you

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 08:25:26 AM »
hello brucerez,

I admit that I don't really understand what for you wish to use assignable knob to set the volume for R1/R2/R3 by using OTS1-4 at the same time. The thing is, selected voices and their parameters (volume, etc.) are already stored in OTS. You define these parameters in mixer and store them in desired OTS. For example, if you press OTS1, piano on R1 will have volume 80 and violin on R2 will be at 60. And when you choose OTS2, there can be different volumes for R1 and R2.
So, what do I miss here... what exactly you wish assignable knob to do?

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Patrick

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 09:06:09 AM »
Hi, for me i've volume of the style rythme 1&2 on live control knob 1 and volume of the R1, R2 & R3 on live control knob 2 so i can encrease  in live the right hand voices and the volume of the rythme batteries! Live control is checked on the registration control pannel! All the best Patrick

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 07:19:15 PM »
Hi brucerez,

The advantage of a connected Expression Pedal is that the volume of the relevant parts (e.g. Right1/2/3) is always controlled "in real time", i.e. if the volume pedal is fully depressed, you always have the part volumes memorized in the current Registration or OTS (and you can then reduce them with the pedal as needed).

If you want to control the "Keyboard Volume" parameter via Live Control knobs/sliders, you have the fundamental problem that the physical knob position in many cases does not correspond to the setting saved in the Registration (and recalled when loading the Registration). This often leads to value jumps (in this case the volumes) when moving the Live Control knobs/sliders. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the behavior of an external volume pedal (FC7) described above cannot be achieved with the Live Control knobs/sliders. If a volume pedal is not an option for you, you could instead build a potentiometer (50 kOhm) into a small homemade box and attach it to the keyboard (to be able to operate the pedal function by hand).

By the way, the "Keyboard Volume" parameter is NOT memorized in OTS, but only memorized in Registrations (when "Live Control" box is ticked in Memory dialog).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 07:21:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 11:30:24 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies.

...By the way, the "Keyboard Volume" parameter is NOT memorized in OTS, but only memorized in Registrations (when "Live Control" box is ticked in Memory dialog).
Best regards,
Chris

That's right.

Beside that the OTS are affected/influenced by Registration setup.
That means if the Registration is saved with Live Control ticked assigned as Keyboard Volume to Knob 2 and then switch to any OTS,
it will be muted or we will hear the voice depending on the position of Knob2.

If the knob 2 is at zero volume position, then we switch to any OTS, we hear nothing.
If the knob 2 is set at 127 (max) volume position, then we switch to any OTS, we will hear the voices.

Anyway I will find a workaround and don't spend too much time on this.
Thanks anyway.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2022, 11:29:30 PM »
I always leave the Keyboard Volume parameter at 127 (and always save it that way in registrations). To control the keyboard volume, I always have an expression pedal (FC7) connected, set to affect only the Right1/2/3 parts.
Best regards,
Chris

Wow Chris thanks so much for inspiring me to dig out my expression pedal that I last used maybe 10 years ago on A PSR-3000
For Right Hand Organ Play, it makes a huge difference using an expression pedal to control R1 R2 and R3 (and possibly Left) and set all panel settings to 127 (thanks for that tip) I do tweak a little in Voice Part Setup /Mixer to maybe lower volume some, pan, add DSP, etc.
before saving to a registration. Your suggestion gives right hand voices a new life, especially organs.

I now have a lot of registration editing to do, assigning the many expression pedal functions to appropriate registration banks.
Thanks Again  :D

BTW, I'm using a Technics expression pedal that I purchased a while back for a KN3000. Works great on a SX-900

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline brucerez

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 06:37:05 PM »
Hi,

I setup the knob 2 to keyboard volume to control the volume of right hands voices but unfortunately it affects Left Hand voice too which I don't want.
Is there any workaround for Live Control Knob to control only Right hands and not affecting Left hand.

Thank you

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 07:53:32 PM »
Hi Bruce,

Direct Access to Knob 2
Choose for 1
 Category >  Mixer
 Function > Volume
 Click Close Button> Select desired panel volume parts below. In your case leave Left unchecked
For 2 and 3 choose the exact same as 1, making sure you check or uncheck choices after closing

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course you can mess around, have some fun with many volume control knob settings. I sometimes use
For 1
Category >  Mixer
Function > Volume   
Click Close Button> Select desired volume parts below.
For 2
Category >Mixer
Function> Keyboard Volume
For 3
Category> Mixer
Function> Balance
Check Balance Setting on same screen. A checked "A" green box decreases volume. a checked green "B" box checked increases volume when rotating knob 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
The key to controlling volume parts with a live control knob is to check/uncheck panel settings in live control settings
And all your live control settings will change depending on Registration and/or Registration Freeze Settings. So save your setup.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline brucerez

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 10:02:09 PM »
Thanks Larry for taking time and explain in detail.

Unfortunately I cannot find this option for Live Control > Mixer > Keyboard Volume.
Your setup applies only to Live Control Mixer > Volume function

Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:03:29 PM by brucerez »

Offline brucerez

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 10:28:01 PM »
Hi Larry,
I just wanted to let you know that I did some test on my keybaord and I think your suggestion would be a good one for what I want to do.

Appreciated.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 05:25:07 PM »
Thanks Larry for taking time and explain in detail.

Unfortunately I cannot find this option for Live Control > Mixer > Keyboard Volume.
Your setup applies only to Live Control Mixer > Volume function

Thanks anyway.

Not sure why you can't find it, but Keyboard Volume is there under Volume

[attachment deleted by admin]
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline brucerez

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
Not sure why you can't find it, but Keyboard Volume is there under Volume
I meant the option in the screen shot below (in red rectangular) doesn't exist in Keyboard Volume.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2022, 08:00:22 PM »
I meant the option in the screen shot below (in red rectangular) doesn't exist in Keyboard Volume.

No, disappointingly it does not exist in Genos either. KBD Volume cannot be selectively assigned to individual voice parts. (May have to do that another way eg. use an expression pedal? ).

John
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:02:58 PM by jwyvern »

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2022, 08:27:07 PM »
  Keyboard Volume will lower or increase volume of everything on the keyboard when turning knob.  Therefore no panel parts to select

Volume, as shown above, allows for selecting individual panel parts and will increase or decrease only those checked parts when turning knob.
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2022, 09:43:43 PM »
No, disappointingly it does not exist in Genos either. KBD Volume cannot be selectively assigned to individual voice parts. (May have to do that another way eg. use an expression pedal? ).

John

You need to use Volume (NOT KEYBOARD VOLUME) to control individual volume parts in Panel 1, Panel 2, Style, M Pad, and Song

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2022, 10:22:02 PM »
The problem with assigning live control Volume to multiple voice parts is that as soon as you use it all volumes eg.  on R1, 2 and 3 will immediately jump to the same volume value, which in nearly all cases is not what you want since it spoils the original "balanced mix" of the voices which cannot be restored until you readjust the individuals manually, or press the OTS or registration button again.
KBD Volume preserves the balance of mix as you increase or decrease the level because it works in a similar way to an expression pedal, but its usefulness is limited if you need it to be disabled for the Left voice (which if you are using a left voice is quite likely).

John

Offline brucerez

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 11:59:33 PM »
The problem with assigning live control Volume to multiple voice parts is that as soon as you use it all volumes eg.  on R1, 2 and 3 will immediately jump to the same volume value, which in nearly all cases is not what you want since it spoils the original "balanced mix" of the voices which cannot be restored until you readjust the individuals manually, or press the OTS or registration button again.
KBD Volume preserves the balance of mix as you increase or decrease the level because it works in a similar way to an expression pedal, but its usefulness is limited if you need it to be disabled for the Left voice (which if you are using a left voice is quite likely).

John

You're right.
After reading your post, I tested on my keyboard what you mentioned and noticed after using the Volume control (Knob 2), R1 (volume level 100) and R2 (volume level 50)
immediately jump to the same volume level depending on knob position.
This ruins the volume level between right voices parts.