Author Topic: Style Mixer Slider window revisited  (Read 12832 times)

Style Mixer Slider window revisited
« on: September 17, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm opening this topic again because I really need a solution.

No matter what I do, I can't make the Style Mixer Slider window appear as the default window in any registration. It won't even work when I check the Live Control box in the Memory area. If I display the Style Mixer Slider window, press Save with Live Control checked, the next time I open the registration, the Knob Assign window appears 👿! Oddly enough, the Organ sliders are saved as the default window but not the Style Mixer Slider window!!

This has happened ever since updating to 2.2. I played a show the other night and every time I called a registration for the next song, I had to either press the Registration #1 button twice, or call the Slider Assign window manually. This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Is there no solution?? Can I roll the OS back to 2.1?

In an earlier post, Stijn mentioned that the Reset functions will not fix this. Why has this issue only reared its ugly head in the 2.2 update and non of the previous ones??
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline vlbrgt

Re: Style Mixer Slider window revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 01:23:37 PM »
Wasn't the latest update not 2.11 ?
I am not aware of a 2.2 update.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 02:11:29 PM »
Yes, you can roll back to 2.10, as long as you saved the installation file, or find someone who has it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor, sugarplumsss

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 08:31:18 PM »
Hi Lee

I assume you are taking about the Aux. Display not the main screen display.

To get the Slider Display window on the Aux Screen to appear instead of the Rotary Knob window, make sure you Tick the "Assignable Buttons" when saving a Reg.

I have included the feature in my "Startup Reg."

Old Registration will change it back to the default unless you Set up the parameters to include assignable buttons and then use the freeze button.

If you have lots of incorrect setup Reg. Use Murray Best’s program in batch mode to make them all correct.

Hope it helps

Bill
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 08:49:38 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 03:01:59 AM »
Thanks, all. I may have the OS version wrong. Between Windows, Android, phones, and dozens of apps and programs, the version numbers are just a blur.

I doubt that I can roll back my OS. I have no idea how to do that and with lots of gigs coming up, I can't take the chance. I'll take a look at Bill's suggestion to see how I'm saving the Registrations. One thing is for certain - all the registrations were perfect before this last boondoggle from Yamaha!!

There is often so much damage done by updates in software.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 04:22:14 AM »
I doubt that I can roll back my OS. I have no idea how to do that

It's simply an OS install. Same as every other update. You acquire v2.10 and install it.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 09:54:28 AM »
Go to the download page for the Genos Firmware Updater :
https://nl.yamaha.com/nl/support/updates/firm_genos.html
Scroll down to the Version History.
Look at the [V1.30 to V1.40]
They clearly state,
The previous firmware cannot be restored after updating the firmware to this version

This is not mentioned with the newer firmware updates.
So I suppose it is possible to go back from v2.11 to v2.10 or ...
If not possible I think Yamaha would have mention it ?

Regards
Etienne
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 09:57:31 AM by vlbrgt »
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Bill

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 12:28:09 PM »
Hi  Lee

I have included my Basic Setup reg below.  You will notice I have altered the names slightly on the Aux. Display to make then easier to read.

https://app.box.com/s/gdxzr8xkn7uruei2b0r6ajsrwakp50m6

Interesting though when I first looked this morning I was showing Ver 2.10 I started the install to see if I actually had the Ver 2.10 on my USB Stick. Is I downloaded 2.11 and put it on the USB.  However I decided to NOT install it (It had not started to install it)  Switch the KB off and back on and it showed Ver. 2.11. So now I'm totally confused.

Regards

Bill
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 12:51:48 PM by Bill »
England

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 01:05:18 PM »
Thanks guys. As mentioned, I have some shows coming up. I don't think I'll mess with an OS change at this point. Whatever they did with 2.11, it sure messed up my default Aux window! WTH were they thinking??

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »
Bill wrote "To get the Slider Display window on the Aux Screen to appear instead of the Rotary Knob window, make sure you Tick the "Assignable Buttons" when saving a Reg."

I did that and also clicked Live control. It doesn't work. The wrong default window is etched in stone with Version 2.11 👿!

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 03:31:54 PM »
Okay, I've decided to try rolling back to Version 2.10 from 2.11. I need to get this perfect. The only real enhancements I needed from the original OS is:

1) Tempo reset to the first beat by pressing the Tap Tempo button.
2) The function that gives focus to a knob or slider before any change is made.

To Fred's point, I can download Version 2.10 and read the instructions hopefully that Yamaha provides for such a rollback. Prior to doing this, I put the Genos into USB mode and copied the directories shown in the attached pic. Is there anything else I need to do? Perhaps a full backup? Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 03:47:19 PM »
Okay, I've decided to try rolling back to Version 2.10 from 2.11. I need to get this perfect. The only real enhancements I needed from the original OS is:

1) Tempo reset to the first beat by pressing the Tap Tempo button.
2) The function that gives focus to a knob or slider before any change is made.

To Fred's point, I can download Version 2.10 and read the instructions hopefully that Yamaha provides for such a rollback. Prior to doing this, I put the Genos into USB mode and copied the directories shown in the attached pic. Is there anything else I need to do? Perhaps a full backup?

The problem is you can’t download 2.10 (at least from the Yamaha site) as they keep only the latest version on their site. You will need to have kept the file on your computer, or find someone who has it.

In terms of what to do beforehand, it’s an OS install. Do what you do for an OS install. For me, that’s nothing, but for you it might be something else.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 06:07:10 PM »
Okay, I didn't know that Fred. I don't have 2.10. Anyone willing to share it? Thanks.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 06:52:36 PM »
New information
I see a pattern. Here's a series of events that I can't explain nor can anyone on this site so far.

• I load Registration Bank 1. I call the first registration. The Knob Assign window appears, which is wrong. I change the window to the Slider Assign window and re-save with all parameters checked in the Memory window except, Chord Looper, MIDI Song, and Audio Song.
  • I load Registration Bank 3, which I fixed earlier using the same method as in Step 1 because it too displayed the wrong window. When I call the first registration, it displays the Knob Assign window when it should have displayed the Slider Assign window. It's as though my fix was not stored permanently.

It seems that I can fix all my Registration Banks one at a time but as soon as I call one that's not fixed, the Genos ignores all my previous fixes that I checked in the Memory window. I'm not sure but I think power cycling the Genos fixes the error.

What the heck gives? Is this truly an OS problem or do I have a corrupted file somewhere. I checked the version notes and the only difference between 2.10 and 2.11 is that they fixed a problem in which MIDI template files could not be saved under normal operation. I doubt rolling back to 2.10 is going to solve anything.

Something isn't right and it's very disruptive during a show. Thanks :D.

Edit
On power cycling the Genos, I load Registration Bank 3 and the Knob Assign window appears. I load another registration where the Slider Assign window was displayed and when I reload I Registration Bank 3, it's okay now. It's as though the Knob and Slider windows are stored randomly and not as part of the registration, when in fact, the necessary parameters for this to occur are consistently being ignored. This never happened before the 2.11 update.

I'm completely stumped. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear Yamaha got Microsoft to do the update. This is the kind of nonsense you get from those people 🙄!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:09:43 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Stijn

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 07:07:35 PM »
Here is a link to the Genos firmware update 2.10

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0orrker4xdjqnc/GENOSSETUP.PRG?dl=0

Regards,

Stijn

I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »
Thanks, Stijn! Do you think this will help after reading my ramblings?

Offline Stijn

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 07:20:35 PM »
I don't know if it will solve the problem, but there's no harm in trying.
You can safely do the update 2.10 and check out if there is a difference.

Afterwards you can do the update 2.11 again.

Stijn

Offline Stijn

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 07:26:14 PM »
Lee, I sent a PM (on this forum).

Edit

Lee, can you check the update version on your Genos?

-Call up the operation display via [MENU] - [Utility]
-Touch [System]  -->  Version  xxx

Stijn

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 07:49:43 PM by Stijn »

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 07:54:31 PM »
Lee, I sent a PM (on this forum).

Edit

Lee, can you check the update version on your Genos?

-Call up the operation display via [MENU] - [Utility]
-Touch [System]  -->  Version  xxx

Stijn
Well, this is embarrassing! I checked and it shows that I'm still running 2.02 🙄!! I thought I had updated to 2.11 long ago. Oops, my bad! I suppose I'm safe to download 2.11 and install it?

From the Yamaha website it reads:
[V2.00 to V2.01]
Fixed a problem in which the Registration Memory function would not work properly in some cases.

I'd lay odds that my problem has been fixed by Yamaha and I was too dumb to update my Genos correctly! I could have sworn that I loaded 2.11. Perhaps I downloaded 2.11 but grabbed the wrong file and reloaded 2.02 🙄. Perhaps I've had too many birthdays?

Many thanks to Stijn for asking me to check my OS version number. Duh....😀.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 08:01:33 PM by Lee Batchelor »

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 03:45:30 PM »
I updated to Version 2.11. The Knob and Slider windows still display as though they have a mind of their own. Stijn is right. There's no solution to this problem and it SUCKS BIG TIME!! I assume everyone has the same behavior in their Genos? It may not matter to some but for stage work, it is a major distraction and can really mess up your shows.

Picture this scenario
You're doing a demanding show. You call 6 registrations in a row and they all display the Slider window as the default. You can make dynamic changes as you play. Wonderful! You call song Registration 7 and the Knob window is displayed but you don't notice the change because you have the opening riffs and licks. You get through those few demanding passages and into the body of the song but realize, the Right 1 voice is a bit loud. You grab that slider only to find out the Slider window has changed to Knob even though you memorized the registration correctly.

And that my friends is on Yamaha. They tout the Genos as a pro-level keyboard. I submit that they're wrong in so many ways. I never had this issue with the first OS release, nor the Tyros models. Guess I have to live with it and adjust that window display manually for each registration by pressing the appropriate button twice. They need to fire the chimpanzee who authorized that OS code 👎👎👎!!

Offline Stijn

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 07:05:06 PM »
I modified all my registrations with success.
All the registration buttons now use the Slider Assign display.

Stijn

Offline Bill

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 07:15:49 PM »
Hi Lee

Thanks for the update - Intriguing

To summarise -
Buttons 1-6 behave as expected, but when you push Reg 7 the display changes to Knob control.

Couple of questions / comments.

1  What happens when you reselect Button 1 does it change back to Slider Control.
2  What happens when you apply the Freeze button (with only the Live Control and Assignable selected)
3  Have you attempted to resave Button 7 after you re-apply the Slider Control.
4  You could attach one of your Suspect Reg and let us have a look at it. 
    Quite often you (all of us) can get to focussed on a problem and need time away.
5. I have not encountered your Problem.
6  It would be nice is others could comment whether there are having problems.
7  The only problem that I can visulise is a possible dirty track on one of the Knob controls, and the keyboard gets confused and think you have actually touched on of them.

Regards
Bill

Regards

England

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 07:50:03 PM »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for chiming. I should clarify my terminology. In my examples, Registration 1 refers to a bank, not just Button 1 inside a bank. Sorry for the confusion. So, Registrations 1 to 6 are 6 banks, 1 per song = 6 songs. Registration 7 is another song. So, 7 songs in all.

Stijn posted that his works perfectly. He has graciously offered to look over a few of my registrations to see why the Slider window is not being memorized. I'm most intrigued by your suggestion #7. I virtually never use the knobs. That is a definite possibility. I have a can of contact cleaner. Perhaps I could shoot a wee bit into each knob shaft? Other times, I've just worked a knob or slider back and forth so it strips off any oxide.

Online DerekA

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 12:24:30 PM »
I am just wondering because I'm not at the keyboard just now.

There's only one live control screen, and it always shows *either* the knob functions or the slider functions. But when it's showing the knob functions, the sliders still work and still operate whatever the current 'set' of assignments operate. If you move a slider, the display will switch to showing the slider functions.

So I'm wondering even if the screen shows the knob functions, do the sliders still do what you wanted them to do?
Genos

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 12:53:17 PM »
Hi Derek,

I didn't know that if the Knob window was displayed, the Slider window would appear just by moving a slider. Good to know. The real issue is, for the slider to do something it must receive the focus first. Then, adjustments are made. There is also more than one slider window. Sometimes I need the organ sliders made available so I can adjust the footages. The choice of Slider window used to be memorized by the registration. With the new OS updates, sometimes it works and sometimes it reverts to the Knob display. Also, if the Knobs are displayed and you want to adjust Right 3 (for example), with your method you can easily miss and move the wrong slider because you don't have the labeling from the Slider window.

Stijn says his choice of Slider window is always memorized in his registrations. I sent him a dozen or so of mine. He's going to see if there's something wrong with mine. Thanks for chiming in ;).

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2022, 09:01:26 PM »
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this issue. I'd like to give a special thanks to Stijn. He looked at a dozen or so of my registrations and found the issue, thanks to Murray's Best's program. Thanks to you too, Murray!

Turns out some of my registrations were not memorized with the Live Control box checked. When I loaded one of those registrations, the Genos reverted to the Knob settings. I should have done what most people do and that is to create the perfect registration template. When a new song is created, I use the template and save it under the new song name. Can't miss. I'm glad there's nothing wrong with my Genos or its OS. In the back of my mind I was thinking it could be pilot error. Stijn proved it 🙄!

Thanks again Stijn, Murray, and the others who helped 👍!

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2022, 09:50:38 PM »
What is a 'Perfect Registration Template' ?
I always start with an empty registration.
That empty registration has been made by starting the Genos while holding down the second most right key.
I saved this registration, and call it everytime I start creating a new one.
Is that what you refered to as the 'perfect registration template' ?

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:57 PM »
For me, a perfect registration presents a decent baseline sound.

* Usually Concert Grand for Right 1.
* Drastically reduced reverb on all channels because Yamaha still lives in the 70s and believes you can hide flaws in one's playing by adding copious amounts of reverb.
* A custom rotary organ effect.
* All pertinent check boxes selected in the Memory box.
* Kick and toms routed to Sub Out 1 because Yamaha sets those two drum volumes WAY TOO loud for people who choose to use real speakers.
* Probably a few other parameters I've neglected to mention because I'm not in front of my Genos 😀.

Online EileenL

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 11:41:31 PM »
Your perfect Registration template would be to make sure you select and tick all the memory boxes for things you want to happen when that registration is selected.

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2022, 12:18:03 AM »
Good thought, Eileen. Thanks...

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2022, 03:23:05 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I'm back to square one 👿!!

I'm fixing my registrations where the Live Control box was not checked. I resave the registration with the Live Control box checked and the Slider window selected. It works until I load a different registration. When I load the one I fixed, it reverts to the Knob window again. I figured the original one must be corrupted, so I save it under a different name. It too works once but on opening it a second time, the Knob window appears. Same thing happens with subsequent registrations that were always working!!

It seems that even with the Live Control checked, it's not remembered and that fixing an existing registration never works. It sounds like a broken registration must be deleted and a new one created. That will take hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is there no solution to this issue?? And please don't suggest the Freeze button. It seriously messes up some of the custom styles. Besides, it's not telling me why this crapola is happening in the first place. It's only a bandage. Murray's program is excellent but it won't work for this issue.

I never had this nonsense with the first Genos OS versions nor my Tyros models. I'm ready to toss this thing in the lake!!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2022, 03:57:49 PM »
More info

There is no consistency in this error. The appearance of Slider vs. Knob windows is entirely random. The Slider window shows up on first pressing of a registration button (1-10) and the next time it shows the Knob window, despite the Live Control being checked and told to memorize the Slider window by default. I even loaded a bunch of registrations into Murray's program, made sure they were all correct, re-saved them, and then loaded them into my Genos. Murray's program says the registrations are fine. The Genos doesn't load them correctly. Stijn noted this and found it very odd.

I'm wondering if I need to invoke some of the reset functions. What happens when I do a Registration Reset? Do I loose all my registrations? What about a System reset?

Online DerekA

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2022, 05:28:22 PM »
According to the Genos data manual, a registration should save "Sub Display Content" which I take it to mean showing slider .v. knob labels.

So it sounds like there is some kind of bug in this process. I wouldn't keep on banging my head off a brick wall if it just doesn't work consistently. All you can do is submit a bug report to Yamaha and see if they fix it in a future update (if there are any).

Why don't you just assign the knobs *and* the sliders to do whatever it is that's so critical for the sliders to do? Then it doesn't matter which one is displayed in the sub window. Not ideal, but better than fishing your Genos out of that lake. 😎

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
I suspect you're right, Derek. I think there is a software bug in my Genos. If it required an update from Yamaha, there would be hundreds of users affected. I wonder how I submit this in Canada. Perhaps they can walk me through some key combo to see what's up. Thanks for chiming in.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
Okay, I just submitted my problem to Yamaha Canada and received a confirmation that they received my request. I'll post any updates.

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2022, 09:41:25 PM »
I spent my afternoon working on 50 registrations in one folder. I discovered that when I deleted the bad ones and recreated them, they worked perfectly. I also discovered that if one bad one was left behind and it was activated, it affected the fixed ones in that folder. Sort of "one rotten apple in a barrel spoils the lot." After I deleted the bad one, the rest went back to behaving correctly. Strange how one bad registration in a folder can affect the whole folder!

Looks like I have a bunch of corrupted registrations. I'm going to delete that bad ones and rebuild them. I'm not sure if this was due to me not including the Live Control check box for new registrations or some incompatibility brought over from the T5. Either way, it's manual labor to fix the rotten ones and hours of work. Maybe Yamaha will have a global fix. I doubt it though.

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2022, 12:52:56 PM »
Further updates
  • I thought that if I cleaned up all registrations within a folder on the User drive, they would stay cleaned up. I tried switching to a different folder and came across another defective registration. I went back to my cleaned up folder and as soon as I chose the first one, it showed the Knobs again. This thing is like a virus! I can play dozens of registrations where the Slider first appears, play one where the Knobs appear, and that act carries through to the next “fixed Slider” registration. It only goes back to normal after I press the same registration button again.
  • I contacted Yamaha and they replied the next day. They wanted a full description of what’s happening. They have a service depot about 50 minutes west of me. They’ll likely want to see my Genos and run it through their diagnostic software. More to follow.

Online EileenL

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2022, 02:55:58 PM »
I took it that saving Subs meant how you had the sub speakers set. I have often had someone say they have downloaded a registration and do not get any sound from the style. When looking into it I found they were set to Sub 1 or 2. When putting the ticks back into main they worked fine.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »
Excellent thought, Eileen.

Some of my registrations (most in fact) have the Toms and Kick routed to the Sub Out 1 because they are way out of balance when played through large quality sound systems like mine. I don't know how Yamaha missed that! I know they don't play if I don't bother to route the Sub Out 1 to one of the channels in my external mixer.

How that would affect the Knob window being displayed versus the Slider window, when the Slider window was saved in the Live Control settings, is beyond me. I heard back from Yamaha support and they wanted a detailed description of what's going wrong. I sent it and am waiting to hear back. Personally, I think there is a corrupted file somewhere in my OS. This isn't over yet. I'm confident Yamaha will get to the bottom of it. I'll certainly let everyone know what they find.

Online EileenL

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2022, 03:41:29 PM »
Hi Lee,
  I was only referring to the Sub display screen you talked about as I know it.
It dose not have anything to do with your problem. If you had made a master set up registration at the beginning with all the boxes you ticked for things you wanted to be saved and named it something like master, and then removed those ticks before saving any other banks it would worked as you want it to. On switch on just load in Master bank and then continue by playing your other registration banks.

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2022, 04:46:17 PM »
Good point, Eileen. The problem is, even when I correct that mistake on every registration that didn't have the Live Control box checked, the minute I open a defective registration, the problem is back and corrupts the registrations that were working fine. That shouldn't happen! Not everyone uses a Master registration. I will from here on though ;)! There's something wrong when a corrected file reverts to an incorrect file format. That's on Yamaha to fix.

I never had this problem with the first OS release in 2017. It's been a problem ever since these updates. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no mention of needing to use a Master registration in any of the manuals. It's a great idea but the registrations shouldn't fail just because on or two incorrect registrations exist. The incorrect registrations are corrupting the correct ones. That's none of my doing. There's something wrong with my Genos.

Offline murrayb

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2022, 09:44:28 PM »
Lee:

I suggest that there is an o/s error after version2.0 that is causing this problem.  I'm behind on updating, still running version 2.0 and there is no problem at all with controlling the live control screen.

First, the existence of a registration bank in a folder that has a problem will have absolutely no effect on the keyboard as only the values of the registration bank being loaded update the settings. However, loading a corrupted file may distort other settings within the o/s.

Stijn, sent me a registration that was demonstrating the behavior you describe, and it opened properly on my Genos. I duplicated this registration (in YRM), and set each with a different live control screen and each operated correctly. 

The usual response in settings on the keyboard is to leave the previous settings unchanged if a registration doesn't contain a particular group.  That is why when you open a bank/button that contains a Song (MIDI or audio), that song will remain on the screen until you select a registration with a different song, and will be memorized in a subsequent registration (where you didn't want it) if song is checked.

So further testing revealed that the live control screen on my version of the o/s will stay at the last setting when a registration is opened that doesn't contain live control, it didn't revert to knob.

If the coding of the registration file is any example of the rest of the programming of the Genos o/s, there is lots of opportunity to create errors, and this is likely one of them.

Cheers,

Murray

One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2022, 01:49:31 PM »
Wow, thanks Murray!

You've basically proven that there's something wrong with the Genos OS, later versions. What's troubling is I'm the only one reporting this problem. I wonder how many others are experiencing the same issue but could care less or just didn't see it. They just press Registration Button 1 a second time and the problem goes away. Also, if you use a bunch of registrations that don't have the knob setting set, you'll never see the problem. This is definitely a design problem where the registrations are not storing all the settings correctly. I may have discovered a flaw Yamaha has never seen. If I'm right, they need to fix their OS, and pronto!! It is a deal breaker for us gigging musicians.

I think it's safe to conclude that I have about 90% of my registrations saved with Live Control > Slider selected. It's that 10% where I failed to store those settings that is causing the issue. My only solution is to go though all of my registrations and make sure Live Control > Slider is selected and saved. If there's even one faulty registration, the whole apple cart is upset. Something else no one has thought of: What if you want (for example) 75% of your registrations stored with the Slider window and 25% with the Knob window. Obviously, it won't work as expected. Here's a scenario:

1 - Call Reg Bank 1 (Slider)
2 - Call Reg Bank 2 (Knob)
3 - Call Reg Bank 3 (Slider) You get Knob instead 👿!

I'll keep everyone posted about Yamaha's response. Thanks again, Murray!

tyrosman

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2022, 06:26:28 PM »
i hope you get it sorted and hope we get an update ;)

« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2022, 09:30:33 PM »
Thanks, Tyrosman. Me too 😉. Something isn't right.

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2022, 02:32:20 AM »
Update
I haven't heard back from Yamaha Canada yet. I must have posed a real dome scratcher of a problem for them 🤣.

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2022, 02:22:33 PM »
I just received a reply from Yamaha Canada. He or she (no name was given in the reply) watched the video that Stijn made, which clearly demonstrates the issue. Thanks for that, Stijn!!

They've never seen this before, so I assume it will take time to resolve. I'm good with that. I suspect they'll need to contact the Yamaha software developers to see if they can resolve it. More to come, hopefully.

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2022, 03:14:15 PM »
@Lee or Stijn,

I just received a reply from Yamaha Canada. He or she (no name was given in the reply) watched the video that Stijn made, which clearly demonstrates the issue. Thanks for that, Stijn!!
Is that video available somewhere ?

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline Stijn

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2022, 05:03:44 PM »
Hi Etienne,

You can download the video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlotwery08hhu3r/genos%20regs.mp4?dl=0

Regards,
Stijn

The following users thanked this post: vlbrgt, Roshure

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2022, 07:20:04 PM »
Thank you, Stijn! You saved me the exercise of re-creating the link ;).

Still no further word from Yamaha. I've come to my own conclusion. Regardless of the OS version, if you have 500 registration banks (for example), and if even one has the Live Control box unchecked in the Memory screen, it sours the entire barrel of apples and Yamaha has never anticipated this.

Fred said I should load the most recent OS. He's probably right but I doubt it will make a difference. If they had addressed the issue with one of their mysterious "other problems fixed" items, I would have expected the support team to email me back to say, "Download and install V2.13." Meanwhile, my request sits there rotting in their queue and they're no longer talking to me.

I have one solution left. Go through every Registration Bank and resave them all with the Live Control box checked. If there is a way to do such a batch edit in Murray's program, I'd be happy to use it but I'd also need well written, detailed instructions because in consultations with Murray, some of those Registrations' Live control settings don't show up in his program and need to be manually turned on. I may as well do them all on the Genos instead :(.