Author Topic: pack istallation question  (Read 1738 times)

Offline chuckeys123

pack istallation question
« on: October 24, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »
As long as the sum total of expansion pack sizes is less than onboard space, can individual packs be loaded, or do you have to consolidate them all into one pack? thanks

Offline Amwilburn

Re: pack istallation question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 08:30:11 PM »
You should consolidate and load them all at once (for space management purposes); however after you install your 1st pack, you *can* do quick install which will allow you to add more (given sufficient space) one pack at a time, yes. But if you remove anything that's already installed, you'll be forced to do a complete install

Mark

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 08:46:08 PM »
Only one pack can be installed at a time.

By using YEM, pack can can be compiled from more than one (source) pack, but what you end up with, is still one pack. Normally, when you install new pack, old pack will automatically first be erased from keyboard memory and then new pack will be loaded. That's the case with *.ppi and *.cpi pack install files.

By using YEM, you can also create *.pqi and *.cqi (q -for "quick") pack install files. This type of install files makes possible, to add content into existing pack file. That is, during installing quick install pack, only added content will be loaded into keyboard memory (and old content isn't erased). Keep in mind, that's not the same as installing two different packs one after another -it only saves installing time.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 10:02:16 PM »
Only one pack can be installed at a time.

By using YEM, pack can can be compiled from more than one (source) pack, but what you end up with, is still one pack. Normally, when you install new pack, old pack will automatically first be erased from keyboard memory and then new pack will be loaded. That's the case with *.ppi and *.cpi pack install files.

By using YEM, you can also create *.pqi and *.cqi (q -for "quick") pack install files. This type of install files makes possible, to add content into existing pack file. That is, during installing quick install pack, only added content will be loaded into keyboard memory (and old content isn't erased). Keep in mind, that's not the same as installing two different packs one after another -it only saves installing time.

Bogdan
This os good to know. about the quick install does the psr s770 have thr quick install feature os is it only the sx series i was curious. 8)

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 10:12:41 PM »
This os good to know. about the quick install does the psr s770 have thr quick install feature os is it only the sx series i was curious. 8)

Hi Keyboard Master,

The Quick Pack Installation feature is only available for Genos, PSR-SX models and PSR-A5000, but NOT for Tyros5, PSR-S970/770/975/775 and PSR-A3000.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Keyboard Master

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 10:16:15 PM »
Thanks Chris, didn't even realize it wasn't an option on all keyboards. Like I said, I prefer to design the pack all at once for a specific keyboard so we can see exactly how much space we have (and to remove duplicate samples, which I wish YEM would do automatically, but alas, it does not). I hate using quick install updates because I've had it glitch (where the keyboard couldn't even see the install file) so I had to go back and design it as a single pack anyway.

Yes, sorry, Bogdan's right, I should've been clearer; I meant designing a cpi/ppi pack in YEM. Otherwise yes, you can only load one pack at a time.

Mark

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 12:24:42 AM »
Hi Keyboard Master,

The Quick Pack Installation feature is only available for Genos, PSR-SX models and PSR-A5000, but NOT for Tyros5, PSR-S970/770/975/775 and PSR-A3000.

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you Chris that's good to know. I also would love to have that quick install feature. I am thinking about upgrading my s770 to the sx700 someday.  ;D

Offline brucerez

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 02:42:24 AM »
I have 4 third party locked packs (already installed on my keyboard) and also created one personal pack for myself in YEM and I sometime add and edit some content on it.
After finishing editing my stuff, I save my Pack in .cqi file format with all (4 third party locked packs check marked) but it takes longer to save.

Question:
1- Should I check mark all existing packs in YEM every time I save in .cqi?
2- If in YEM, I only check mark and save my personal pack and install it on my keyboard, will the 4 locked pack (already installed on my keyboard) be deleted?

Thank you

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
hello brucerez,
Yes, for *.cqi (*.pqi) all previous content must also be selected. It's like you would say "that's what I wish to have installed at the end". However when installing this *.cqi, only newly added content will be read (added to existing pack in keyboard). As said, that only saves install time -*.cqi file itself will grow each time you add something (the same way is it would with normal *.ppi/*.cpi file). Again, previously installed content (on keyboard) must match the content in *.cqi file + added content.

Practical example of when quick install option can be useful:
You made a pack which has 3 styles and 1 voice (which is used by one of the styles). After you installed this pack, you realized, you forgot to select one more voice that's used by another style. What you do (in YEM) is, additionally to already selected content (3 styles & 1 voice) you also select that one missed voice. Now you create quick install file (which now contains 3 styles and 2 voices). During installation, only that newly added voice will be read into keyboards memory -which is faster than reading whole pack. And if for some reason previous content (on keyboard) doesn't match the content in quick install file, then the whole pack content will be installed (same as in the case of normal pack) -because "that's what I wish to have at the end".

So... is it worth to bother with quick install packs? Depends. If some huge pack is already installed (which you wish to keep) and you only wish to add a voice or two, then the answer is yes. But.. "who would keep a track of what's already installed and what not..." -well, there's no need for that: if previous content doesn't match, then you end up the same way as if you would by installing normal pack.

Speaking for me, I don't use quick packs... main reason being, SX700 memory is kinda smallish and so there isn't that much benefit.. and I'm never in hurry. But in case of SX900, which has a lot more memory, this can be quite a time saver.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline brucerez

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »
Thanks Bogdan for clear explanation.

That was exactly what I was doing so far.
I wanted just to make sure if I didn't miss any other option.

Appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master