Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Genos1957

Suggestion
« on: August 04, 2022, 02:08:43 PM »
Can you kindly point me to a great pedal sustain for our keyboard Genos?

Offline JerCaz

Re: Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 03:39:18 PM »
Hello,
I suggest you the excellent Yamaha FC 3A. Moreover, it supports the half-sustain (unlike the Genos which does not support the half-sustain).

Check out this thread:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=51077.0
Jérôme,
Yamaha Tyros 5/76

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 05:42:22 PM »
Can you kindly point me to a great pedal sustain for our keyboard Genos?

Hi Genos1957,

The FC3A can also be used on the Genos, but the half-pedal function is not available there. An FC4A, which is based on a momentary switch ("normally closed" electrical contact), is therefore also sufficient for the Genos.
>>> https://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_fc4_sustain.htm

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:45:16 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 08:52:06 PM »
Thanks, I really thought about getting the Yamaha FC3 for this function, I didn't know Genos didn't support it.

But does FC4 at least respond well to the foot?

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 09:53:46 PM »
Thanks, I really thought about getting the Yamaha FC3 for this function, I didn't know Genos didn't support it.

But does FC4 at least respond well to the foot?

Hi Genos1957,

There are certainly subtle differences in how the FC3A and FC4A pedals react (on a keyboard that is NOT half-pedal capable). One of the reasons for this is that the FC3A has a potentiometer (adjustable resistor) whose position is evaluated by the keyboard (and converted into an on/off signal), while the FC4A, as mentioned, works directly as a "normally closed" momentary switch. It may be that the switching point (between "pressed" and "released") is in a slightly different position for these two pedals. This shouldn't be a problem, however, because when you press the pedal, you step on it (if you don't half- pedal-capable models) normally all the way down anyway.

If you want to know exactly which pedal suits you better, you should either test both pedals in your local music store, or you can order both online and then send one of them back.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:24:23 AM »
Hi Genos1957,

There are certainly subtle differences in how the FC3A and FC4A pedals react (on a keyboard that is NOT half-pedal capable). One of the reasons for this is that the FC3A has a potentiometer (adjustable resistor) whose position is evaluated by the keyboard (and converted into an on/off signal), while the FC4A, as mentioned, works directly as a "normally closed" momentary switch. It may be that the switching point (between "pressed" and "released") is in a slightly different position for these two pedals. This shouldn't be a problem, however, because when you press the pedal, you step on it (if you don't half- pedal-capable models) normally all the way down anyway.

If you want to know exactly which pedal suits you better, you should either test both pedals in your local music store, or you can order both online and then send one of them back.

Best regards,
Chris
Thank you very much for the answer, then you say that this pedal will always be better than my standard pedal?

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 09:25:47 PM »
Thank you very much for the answer, then you say that this pedal will always be better than my standard pedal?

Hi Genos1957,

By "standard pedal" do you mean a simple foot switch like the Yamaha FC5? A "piano-style" sustain pedal like FC4A or FC3A is always better than a simple foot switch. You just have more control with a piano-style pedal. Of course there are also good pedals from other manufacturers that are suitable for Yamaha keyboards. However, I would not take an extremely cheap one here. With a Yamaha pedal you certainly won't go wrong.

By the way, if you use a sustain pedal (momentary switch type) from another manufacturer, it would be good if it had a polarity switch to set the polarity to the Yamaha standard "normally closed". (However, "normally open" pedals can also be used on Yamaha keyboards.)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 04:52:07 AM »
My pedal is piano style but it is not Yamaha. The pedal stroke is not very good but if you only have to switch on and spend a little you need to make the stroke more like that of a piano. Is the half damper function a hardware or software function?