Author Topic: Is there a factory "Shadows" style in the PSR-SX900?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline usaraiya

Is there a factory "Shadows" style in the PSR-SX900?
« on: September 11, 2022, 01:14:21 PM »
I tried to locate a Shadows style to play Atlantis in the PSR SX900 but could not find it.
Does anyone know where I could find it?
I appreciate any help you can provide.
 :)
Uday

Offline mikf

Re: Is there a factory "Shadows" style in the PSR-SX900?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 02:22:59 PM »
Uday
There is nothing very special about the Shadows accompaniment, it's pretty simple and straightforward and I think most of the pre set 8 beat styles will work ok. I don't know how they are labelled on the SX900, but the Classic 8 beat on my CVP works quite well.
I think the real Shadows sound comes more from capturing Hank Marvin's phrasing and playing technique than the accompaniment style. I used a pedal to operate the pitch bend to get the guitar tremolo bar effect.
Here is a Shadows type recording I made a while ago which probably used the Classic 8 beat pre set style. Don't remember exactly but I know it was a pre set because I remember I was able to make it  very quickly without doing anything fancy to the style,  - then added the strings. I think it captures their sound OK.
https://app.box.com/s/mv78f0klsu8wkrlz2o0sol958neyq2q5
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, ibrox2, john-s

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »
Thank you, Mike!
The recording was great, especially the Hank Marvin-style lead guitar sound and the added strings.
I'll try and find the pre-set 8-beat styles on the SX900.
 :)
Uday

Offline Shubid

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »
R&B -> 60sShadowedPop

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:37:06 PM »
Thank you, Shubid!

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 09:40:36 AM »
Vintage Guitar Pop is the usual choice for numbers like Apache, Wonderful Land, Man of Mystery etc.

Might have been renamed (again) or, shock horror, removed. I'm sure someone will upload it for you if it's gone!

There are some custom Shadows files around, including many here on the site. I use 'Apache' for the song of the same name, of course!

But as has been said, getting the Hank sound is as much to do with phrasing and dynamics along with sensitive and accurate use of pitch bend and any 'tricks' that your chosen guitar voice has. And it's not always 'Shadowed Guitar' that you need, I have an edited version of 'Warm Electric' for Sleepwalk, for example.

Have fun!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com