Author Topic: which foot pedals  (Read 1625 times)

konniekemp@hotmail.com

which foot pedals
« on: September 09, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »
Hello to everyone ..
newby here ..
I was watching a video and the chap was changing his registration with a foot switch.. I don't have one of these..
I'd like to get one off ebay  but don't know what type would do the job..
can anyone suggest something (cheaper the better) for a psr-sx900..
thanks Konnie ...

Offline BogdanH

Re: which foot pedals
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 05:55:48 PM »
What you need is "sustain" (switch) pedal, which usually looks like this:

You can get 3rd party sustain pedals quite cheap ($20 and up).
Anyway, make sure you don't buy expression or volume pedal by mistake, because those serve totally different purpose (and are more expensive at that).
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline jcook980

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
You can assign the two foot pedal inputs to a number of different functions, including changing registrations, through the Assignable menu. Any non-latching foot switch with a 1/4" phone plug should work. I use a rather cheap digital piano sustain pedal similar to the Yamaha FC4A on one input and a Yamaha FC7 volume pedal on the other (also assignable to different functions like volume, wah-wah, etc.). A Yamaha FC5 or similar will also work. Note that the SX series does not support half dampering pedals like the Yamaha FC3A.
---

Jim
PSR-SX900, Disklavier, QY-70, P-150

konniekemp@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 06:56:07 PM »

then I think perhaps something like this would do..  yeh?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175209331383
should have mentioned Im in the UK..
thanks for the advice guys.. Konnie ..

Offline meyrick

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 10:59:06 AM »
The foot sustain pedal controller @ £4.75 should do well for what you want. It is a basic on/off switch with very little to go wrong. I have had one the same for the past 5 years, previously on a Tyros 4 and
 now SX900 still going strong.   

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
I use a Yamaha FC5 and have had it for years Solid build and very reliable.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 07:02:44 PM »
I use a Yamaha FC5 and have had it for years Solid build and very reliable.
Hi EileenL,
Can the Yamaha FC5 be used for Start/Stop style?
I need a Yamaha pedal to switch the start/stop the styles.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 08:07:57 PM »
All switch pedals have the same functionalities (where "sustain" is only one of them). So, $10 switch does the same as $90 switch. Differences are only in quality (and in design). I mean, one doesn't wish pedal would creak on pressing, or that cable would become loose after a while (just for example).
That is, for home use, you can expect good enough pedal for ~$15 (FC5 would be in that category). I mean, I really wouldn't look after even cheaper.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »
All switch pedals have the same functionalities (where "sustain" is only one of them). So, $10 switch does the same as $90 switch. Differences are only in quality (and in design). I mean, one doesn't wish pedal would creak on pressing, or that cable would become loose after a while (just for example).
That is, for home use, you can expect good enough pedal for ~$15 (FC5 would be in that category). I mean, I really wouldn't look after even cheaper.

Bogdan

Thank you Bogdan for the reply.

I've used in the past some Boss and Korg pedals but they stooped working after almost a year. That's why I would like to try a Yamaha brand to see how long they last.

Offline andyg

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
Yamaha pedals last, period! (full stop if you're UK-based!)

Cheap pedals will do the job just as well, but the plastic varieties don't usually stand the test of time. I've had a metal switch from Pro-El for over 20 years. Alas no longer available, I think they only do the plastic type. So i think any pedal made of metal should be fine. You only really need a piano type pedal if you do a lot of piano style playing where it feels more natural. They also tend to stay in place on the floor better!

And when you need a volume pedal, there's nothing to beat Yamaha's FC-7. Built like a tank, reliable and long lasting.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
Yes I agree Andy. Yamaha peddles are built to last and don't skate all round the floor