Author Topic: Will midi songs from yamaha music soft play seamlessly on genos  (Read 1769 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Will midi songs from yamaha music soft play seamlessly on genos
« on: September 09, 2022, 04:55:13 AM »
Very recently I’m getting closer to realization a genos will solve most of my problems

The person I will
Likely buy it from  ( a dealer and a friend ) owns a little used T5

So this question is in the context : I
Might be able to buy his personal t5

1. Is there anything about the genos that is shall we say , a negative against Genos? Anything about T5 that I would lose when buying the genos ?

(I’m inclined towards the genos because it is new and will be reliable much longer than a 10 year old t5)

2. I own $800 worth of midi songs purchased from yamaha music soft. But for the T4 I presently own
May I assume they will perform on the genos seamlessly. As they do now on t4?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 05:01:40 AM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Toril S

Re: Will midi songs from yamaha music soft play seamlessly on genos
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 09:35:11 AM »
I think so. I would go for the Genos. But there is a learning curve, as it has a touch screen. The OS is a little different. I have both Genos and T5. Genos sounds better.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 11:54:28 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

Genos contains all the voices and effects of Tyros4/5 (and most other previous Tyros and PSR-S models). So you can use MIDI files that were originally programmed for the Tyros4 on the Genos without any changes. Nevertheless, in a direct comparison with the T4, there could be slight differences in the playback of the files on the Genos, mainly because the Genos has a different type of tone generator and better digital/analog converters (32-bit) on the main outputs.

If you have MIDI files revoiced with T4 Custom Voices, you would need to save your Custom Voice Library on the T4 to a folder on a USB stick (using LIBRARY SAVE). Then you connect the stick to the computer and import the .UVI Library file from the relevant folder into the Expansion Manager (YEM) with "Import Pack". This automatically creates a new pack in the YEM from the .UVN/UVD Custom Voice files (which must also be in the folder where the .UVI file is).

Note: If other packs have already been imported into the YEM, the pack with LSB 000 must first be moved to another free LSB number and then the pack with the Tyros4 Custom Voices must be moved to LSB 000. After the Pack Installation has been carried out (via USB stick or WiFi), MIDI files that have been revoiced with T4 Custom Voices can also be played on the Genos without any changes.

By the way, the only real downside I think the Genos has over the Tyros5 is that the Genos  touch screen is much dimmer than the T5 display and non-tilting. Under unfavorable conditions (direct sunlight or very bright stage lights from an unfavorable angle), it can happen that the Genos touch screen can no longer be read/operated. (The solution could possibly be a sunshield that is attached over the Genos touch sceen.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 12:40:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 12:35:44 AM »
Hi --

Yamaha is really good about backward compatibility.

I have quite a few MIDI songs that I mixed on PSR-S950 -- revoicing, balancing, the whole nine yards. All of these songs tranferred over to Genos and played flawlessly. I would expect the same on T5, too.

Some of these songs were purchased from Yamaha Musicsoft, some from the Web, some old TUNE 1000! This kind of compatibility and stability is one reason why I prefer Yamaha arrangers over their synths.

Hope this info helps and is re-assuring -- pj

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 05:25:03 PM »
“Reassuring”, to be sure
i appreciate it

with available or even manufactured parts for t4 becoming more and more relevant
i’m seriously considering genos

if i could not easily play my t4 song library ($800 ) without my editing them , i would not consider the Genos
so yes thank you for the encouraging info 🙏🏼
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.