Author Topic: PSRSX900- Yes or No?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline tyrosguy85

PSRSX900- Yes or No?
« on: September 06, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
My Tyros 4 is getting pretty old but has served me well over the many years I have had it. Buttons A,B,And C on the variation section and the break button have got pushed in but still function. Then last Thursday at my regular dance gig I opened a bottle of fizzy drink on stage which sprayed over me and the keyboard. I managed to wipe the keyboard as best I could but now the ART 1 and the pop and latin button and the button that lowers the octave now don't work although I can get around this. The keyboard is still functioning well but it's made me feel a little nervous as what else could go wrong. A friend of mine who plays the same as me has just ordered a PSRSX 900. He said that when it arrives he would like me to transfer his registration bank and some of his user styles to the new instrument. Will they work as they did on Tyros 4? I'm thinking along the same lines in getting one myself.I will keep the Tyros 4 as a back up with view to possibly getting serviced overtime. Am I doing the right thing ? Thankyou John.

Offline ton37

Re: PSRSX900- Yes or No?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 08:06:46 PM »
I don't think it will be a bad decision. Although the T4 from the T-series is one of the best, it is of course also a few years old. I'd say wait and see what your friend thinks? Try it out on your friend and if you like it, just go for the SX900. In terms of keyboard, I don't think you will regret it, allthought at the end it is of course a personal choice.  ;)
About transferring your registration, can be done, allthought some tweaking is needed. Pls. do a search on this forum and you are informed about that conversion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 08:28:11 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »
A friend of mine who plays the same as me has just ordered a PSRSX 900. He said that when it arrives he would like me to transfer his registration bank and some of his user styles to the new instrument. Will they work as they did on Tyros 4? I'm thinking along the same lines in getting one myself.I will keep the Tyros 4 as a back up with view to possibly getting serviced overtime. Am I doing the right thing ? Thankyou John.

For the most part the registrations and styles from the T-4 to the SX-900 will work fine. Most likely some voices and/or DSP's will not be exactly the same, or may not exist at all and will need tweaking. What's cool is you'll have both to compare.

IMO, the T-4 was maybe the best in the Tyros series. Something about it, but it had a beautiful lush sound. The SX-900 is a great lightweight but powerful arranger, that I think you'll be happy with. The OS is basically the same  and the combination of touch screen and buttons are awesome. Just needs your personalization, and you're good to go.  Again, you'll have the advantage of trying it out on your friends SX-900

Good Luck, and keep those drinks away. Electronics and liquid don't mix
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: tyrosguy85, wibem

Offline tyrosguy85

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 08:50:05 PM »
Thank's for the replies,
I will wait and have a go on my friends keyboard first and go from there, I have never tried a PSR SX900 yet.
Cheers John.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:30:26 PM »
The SX900 is lighter, and if you gig at a small venue you can even just use the built in speakers. But it does not have the S.Art2 and ensemble functions. If you use these much you will miss them. But the PSR now has 3 RH vioces, and the harmonies can be set to sound really well. Try it first. By the way, Tyros drinks only grease :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 10:04:43 PM »
Your Tyros 4 registrations will work fine and so will any styles you have. The SX900 no longer has a music finder but uses a new system called playlist which is much better. Also there are extra ones to download from the Yamaha download site and also all voice packs are now free. You have 1 Gb of memory included in the keyboard now for these packs.

Offline mhack

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2022, 02:40:46 AM »
I sold my Tyros4 a few weeks ago and purchased SX900. I really do like the set-ups. I am not a performer, I am a singer/songwriter. I plan to record two new songs this week. With the help of the forum, I have learned enough to do that but have much to learn. The only problem area for me is the VH2 settings. But, I am getting there. The Tyros was more friendly to me in that area. Good luck!
Mhack

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 12:55:49 PM »
I would say go for it. The SX900 has almost all the styles of the T4, and if you need all the default styles from the T4, you can download it form this website. Be aware if you do use the default T4 styles, some voices may show up as blank in the OTS and style file. The OS is completely new so you will need to sit down and learn it.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »
The OS is completely new so you will need to sit down and learn it.

If I can add a little to that, what's really completely new is the user interface since it now uses a touch screen. But in terms of actual functionality, it's pretty much the same. So the issue isn't so much "what does it do differently", as "how do I find the part of the user interface to control this now". I think it's all still pretty easy to navigate, especially for the main functions.
Genos