Author Topic: When you have 3 right voices can they play different chord notes?  (Read 1167 times)

DaffyDuck1

When you have 3 right voices can they play different chord notes?
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »
I think I saw some video on youtube demonstrating that when you have multiple right voices enabled at once and play C,E,G chord the R1 voice would play only C, R2 - E, R3 - G, or something like that. Is this some sort of a setting or a voice property, and is it available on PSR models?

Thanks.

Offline DerekA

Re: When you have 3 right voices can they play different chord notes?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:47:18 PM »
As you describe it, this is ensemble mode which is only on Tyros and Genos.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 09:03:57 PM »
You probably saw a demo of the Ensemble system present on T5 and Genos where you can play chords and the different voices will each play one of the chord notes. At the same time the Left voice is commandeered by the Ensemble system to play the lead notes so it is not available in its normal role.
On the psr's I'm assuming as with the flagships it is possible to set Harmony on and if you select multi in the harmony settings and play with one finger, R1, 2 and 3 will share the chord notes. Eg if Trio is selected each part plays 1 note of the chord including the lead usually in R1. If more complex harmonies are selected, R1 might play 2 (4part) or 3 (Block) notes , leaving the other parts to play the balance of notes. You can also turn off 1 or even 2 voice parts and the chord notes will now be shared between the remaining active voices.
John

Offline johan

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 09:13:31 PM »
This is done via the multi assign harmony effect which is available on the psr sx range.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:25:49 PM by johan »
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

DaffyDuck1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 10:23:16 PM »
Thanks everyone, indeed it was the ensemble mode.

Harmony "Multi assign" looks like something similar but it seems very inconsistent, looks like it is very sensitive to which chord note is pressed first, and it only works for static chords, you cant do a walking bass/lead while holding the rest of the chord (unless I didn't figure it out). Oh well, if it is a selling feature of the higher models no wonder it cannot be emulated on PSR.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 04:53:14 PM »
You will only find ensemble on the Tyros 5 and Genos.