Author Topic: USB Audio Player Disconnects in Mid-Recording  (Read 1957 times)

Offline alanclare

USB Audio Player Disconnects in Mid-Recording
« on: September 04, 2022, 05:10:56 PM »
I've had this problem on my s970 for years, but my patience has given out and I need help. I'm recording something, typically me singing to a song, Suddenly, a message flashes on to the display, "The USB flash drive cannot be used temporarily." No hint as to why or when, just accept it and try again. I am unable to correlate the failure to any factor in what I'm doing or when it happens.

Am I the only s970 owner who suffers from this?

Alan

Offline Toril S

Re: USB Audio Player Disconnects in Mid-Recording
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:23:05 PM »
No Alan, you sre not. The problem is usually due to the fact that the USB stick is a little too slow. Try another stick, and do not keep many files on it. This is annoying! Been there, done that!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 07:24:58 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline alanclare

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
No Alan, you sre not. The problem is usually due to the fact that the USB stick is a little too slow. Try another stick, and do not keep many files on it. This is annoying! Been there, done that!

Toril, my friend. Thank you for your suggestion. I doubt that the USB stick is at fault as regards quality. It's made by Verbatim, as recommended by Eileen, no less. However, the fact that it's a very "busy" stick in this application (over 500 hundred files occupying 9 GB of its 30GB capacity) could well be a factor. I shall investigate and report back.

I have a feeling that you may well have let a shaft of figurative light into the darkness.

Alan

Offline alanclare

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 10:15:02 PM »
Toril

Although it's after 10pm, I couldn't wait until the morning. I formatted a memory stick and copied the MIDI file of the song with which I've been trying to complete a recording, and it never faulted. Wonderful. Looks as if you may well have solved the problem.

Brilliant. Thanks again, Alan

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 05:43:17 PM »
Glad I could help😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline RoyceM

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 06:59:41 PM »
I’ve encountered this many times over the years. From what I’ve gathered from reading other comments, the keyboard wants the available space to be somewhat contiguous, not too divided up.

My solution has always been to copy the USB contents to my PC, erase the USB, then load everything back onto it. This puts the data and free space into a more efficient arrangement on the USB. This process defragments the USB.

- Royce
DGX-305, Roland E60, S900, S910, S975, Center Point Stereo Spacestation V.3, Bose L1 Compact
PSR Performer page

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 11:42:13 PM »
Alternatively, find a low current draw USB powered hard drive, that will also work. And yes, it's because of lack of contiguous memory.
Defragging would work as long as it's not too full, it's simpler to do what you suggested (dump files and format)

Mark