Author Topic: Problem with USB host  (Read 3180 times)

JanDjango

Problem with USB host
« on: September 03, 2022, 01:33:29 PM »
Hello all,
I'm trying to connect my recently purchased Genos to my PC via the USB host.
To make the connection I installed from the Yamaha site the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 2.1.1.
Unfortunately the driver does not see any device (keyboard) - checked via the Steinberg USB control panel  (see pictures).
With my PSR-SX600 it works without any problem, using the same USB cable and computer.
Does someone maybe experienced the same issue and mananged to solve the problem or has any idea what can be the problem?
Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline johan

Re: Problem with USB host
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 02:29:01 PM »
I would try the most recent version  of the driver (v3.1.4).
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
I would try the most recent version  of the driver (v3.1.4).
Agreed. That's what I'm using. Your driver is out of date. Be sure to download the 64-bit version if your OS is 64-bit.

It's not unusual to buy a brand new device these days with factory installed software that is literally years out of date. I made that same error after buying a Yamaha PX3 power amp. The documentation showed all kinds of filters and adjustments that didn't exist on the amp. I checked the firmware and it was three years old! I updated it and everything suddenly appeared ;D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 03:10:07 PM »
The first thing I would try is "USB storage mode" (Power on + Playlist button). See if the User drive appears as an external device to the computer.

Then you’d know whether there are any hardware issues with the connection.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

JanDjango

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 05:59:03 PM »
Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Despite the good suggestions the problem persists.
The driver that I am using is from Steinberg for Yamaha devices and the latest version is 2.11. Nevertheless I downloaded and installed the suggested driver V3.1.4 from Yamaha (first removed the Steinberg driver) but without success.
The USB storage works fine. So I can be sure that the USB connection is ok.
The installed the firmware version is 2.11, so this also is uptodate.

Are there maybe settings in the software of the Genos that are not correctly set?
Take care

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 06:12:00 PM »
Hi JanDjango,

The Genos does not have an audio interface and cannot be connected to a computer like your SX600. Your images show the audio driver settings.
Genos can only be connected to the computer via MIDI protocol, and for that you need USB MIDI drivers.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
Watch my video channel

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 06:12:20 PM »
Jan, let's dive deeper. Please give complete details of your computer and operating system. Also, what exactly do want to achieve by connecting your Genos to your PC? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 06:13:42 PM »
Hi JanDjango,

The Genos does not have an audio interface and cannot be connected to a computer like your SX600. Your images show the audio driver settings.
Genos can only be connected to the computer via MIDI protocol, and for that you need USB MIDI drivers.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs
Of course! I never thought of that. I assumed Jan had an audio interface. Hence, why I wanted to know complete details of the PC and other devices.

JanDjango

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
Good morning all,
Expecting that the Genos as the Yamaha flagship would have minimum the same functions as the lower level keyboards I did not think about that, but Cboku is right, the Genos doesn't have an audio interface. A comparison of the specs of the Sx600 and the Genos confirm it. For me the only purpose to hook-up the keyboard to the PC was to record my playings with Audacity.
It's a pity that it's not possible with the Genos but it is what it is.

Many thanks to everyone to help to solve the puzzle and hereby the case is closed for me :)

Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 11:04:59 AM »
I record my song using the onboard audio recorder of the Genos, then import it into Audacity for a little editing. Works for me😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 01:00:20 PM »
I record my song using the onboard audio recorder of the Genos, then import it into Audacity for a little editing. Works for me😀
Toril. After recording within Genos, how many “parts” are recorded ? I am sorry my question shows lack of understanding . What I’m asking is.  Is the downloaded file to Audacity
Mono
Stereo
Or maybe even 16 parts ?
Is there a way to record within Genos that can allow multiple parts to be later editable?

Thank you
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 01:20:42 PM »
Hi Sugarplumsss,

I would record your song first in MIDI on the keyboard, and then upload it to a DAW, where the MIDI channels can be separated out, edited, and then converted to audio. I'm not sure if Audacity has those capabilities. There are entry level DAWS that don't cost a fortune, that can handle the task.

The reason I suggest MIDI first is because of the editing capabilities. You can't come that close to fine editing when all you have is audio tracks.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 01:38:13 PM »
Is there a way to record within Genos that can allow multiple parts to be later editable?

Yes. Record a midi file.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 10:33:38 PM »
I have had very good results using a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface with my Genos. The digital audio output of the Genos connects to it via a S/PDIF cable
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 10:35:49 PM by Michael Trigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2022, 08:09:32 PM »
so Recording within tyros or genos, and then migrating over to a DAW. this assumes 16 midi tracks can be “seen” by the DAW?
and you say Audacity may not have this capacity to accomplish this, but eg logic or Ableton can ( magically to me !) somehow “find” the 16 midi tracks ?
i just want to confirm this .

since yamaha tyros is coming from the windows side; will a Mac based DAW be equally at home with this as a windows machine is? i had seen someone mention Monterey ( mac os x ) and wanted to confirm this . my macbook is getting old .. and this is important for me to know. that either  Mac - Windows , either one is fine as a DAW .

thanks you very much
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
Good morning all,
Expecting that the Genos as the Yamaha flagship would have minimum the same functions as the lower level keyboards I did not think about that, but Cboku is right, the Genos doesn't have an audio interface. A comparison of the specs of the Sx600 and the Genos confirm it. For me the only purpose to hook-up the keyboard to the PC was to record my playings with Audacity.
It's a pity that it's not possible with the Genos but it is what it is.

Many thanks to everyone to help to solve the puzzle and hereby the case is closed for me :)

Cheers!

so as usual i’m sorry i’m slow to understand this topic..
does the above quote mean that tyros can “do something “ that genos cannot? a limitation in genos - where the solution to recording in genos has a work around that has a disadvantage! in other words i’m better off recording with Tyros than Genos?