Author Topic: opening .MFD file  (Read 4213 times)

Offline freeplay

opening .MFD file
« on: September 01, 2022, 08:00:18 AM »
Hi Everyone. I am having trouble opening the .MDF file from this forum.I have downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader DC but that wont open it. i can only seem to open STY files. I have windows 10. Hope i have explained myself properly

Cheers Margaret

Offline overover

Re: opening .MFD file
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
Hi Margaret,

What do you want to do with the .MFD file?

An .MFD file is a Music Finder Database file. You can either load it directly on the Tyros5 and then use the included song entries ("Records") in the Music Finder, or you can view/edit .MFD files on the computer, e.g. with one of the following two Windows programs.

MusicFinderView:
>>> http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/musicfinderview/musicfinderviewmain.htm

Music Finder File Manager:
>>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/mffm/index.htm

By the way, to load an .MFD file on the Tyros5, press the Music Finder button and then one of the [7 up/down] (Files) button. You can either add the content of the desired .MFD file to the previous Music Finder records with "Append" or overwrite the previous Music Finder content with "Replace". Attention: If you have edited the previous Music Finder content yourself and this status has not yet been saved, you should do so now (before you load a new .MFD file)!

See also the "Music Finder" chapter in the Tyros5 Owner's Manual from page 81 and in the Reference Manual from page 91.

If you don't have the Reference Manual, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/tyros5/downloads.html#product-tabs

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 11:33:12 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline freeplay

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 03:02:13 AM »
Hi Chris. Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that i cant open a rgt file either. I thought it would open the same a a sty file where i extract all and then load it to my usb stick. When i load it onto my tyros it wont open.When i download a mfd file it is always blank. Sorry if im not making sense. I know how to add to music finder from a usb stick.

thank you
Margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 04:18:33 AM »
Hi Chris. Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention that i cant open a rgt file either. I thought it would open the same a a sty file where i extract all and then load it to my usb stick. When i load it onto my tyros it wont open.When i download a mfd file it is always blank. Sorry if im not making sense. I know how to add to music finder from a usb stick.

thank you
Margaret

You’re being hard to understand. If you’re "extracting", then you have a zip file on your computer. Is that right?

So, do you have a zip file of MFDs? And a zip file of RGTs? That you want to handle the same way?

When you say you can’t open it, is that on your computer or your keyboard? And when it doesn’t open, what error message do you get? Or is it that you can’t find the file?

With more information we can help you solve your problem.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »

thank you
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

You originally wrote ".MDF" file. So I thought it was about ".MFD" Music Finder files and had described everything important in this context. Of course, the Acrobat Reader that you mentioned can't do anything with Music Finder files, it's a PDF reader. In the present case, is it perhaps about .PDF files (e.g. sheet music)?

Yamaha keyboards cannot load/display PDF files, but they can of course be displayed on the computer or smartphone/tablet. Note: There is a possibility that certain PDFs cannot be displayed with relatively old PDF reader versions. So if, as I now suspect, it is about PDFs that are not displayed in Adobe Acrobat Reader, I recommend using a different PDF reader, e.g. "Sumatra", which you can download here:
>>> https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/download-free-pdf-viewer

If you come across a zip file that cannot be extracted with your previous program on the (Windows) computer, I recommend using the current version of "7-zip":
>>> https://www.7-zip.org/

Lastly, you also mentioned .RGT files. These are Yamaha Registration Bank files. On a Windows computer you can open and edit them with the "Yamaha Registration Manager" by Murray Best:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

By the way, please note that you have to be in the right File Selection display on the keyboard (probably Tyros5 in your case) to see files of a certain type. In order to see .RGT files (which are e.g. on the USB stick), you have to open the Registration Bank Selection display (press both REGIST BANK buttons at the same time or press the [J] button in the Main display).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 10:00:27 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline freeplay

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 02:38:30 AM »
Thank you Fred and Chris for your help. Someone on this site thought it would be good idea to get someone to give me lessons but i havent been able to find anyone with a tyros 5. I think i will just download the styles i can open and play from the styles section here, that maybe easier for me. I would like to buy some registrations from the forum but will have to work out how to do it. Pots to aust are very expensive. Once again thank for for your time.

Cheers Margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 03:18:59 AM »
Thank you Fred and Chris for your help. Someone on this site thought it would be good idea to get someone to give me lessons but i havent been able to find anyone with a tyros 5. I think i will just download the styles i can open and play from the styles section here, that maybe easier for me. I would like to buy some registrations from the forum but will have to work out how to do it. Pots to aust are very expensive. Once again thank for for your time.

Registrations are keyboard specific -- if they were created on one keyboard, they won't play on on any other. That's probably why you're getting a "cannot load" message.

Registrations can be converted with Murray Best's fabulous YRM program available here: https://www.psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. We're happy to help.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: freeplay

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 10:59:00 AM »
Hello Margaret,
  Here are some for you to try. You will need to unzip them onto a USB stick and then put the stick into Tyros Press Button "J" and tab to USB and your will find them. Just select one and it will load into your keyboard.

https://app.box.com/s/y617tsxfpnnhq0pjck0whaspejo2igxq

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, Roshure

Offline freeplay

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »
Thank you Eileen, i will try them tomorrow.

Kind regards Margaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 11:10:42 PM »
Where they any good for you.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
Hi Eileen. Yes thank you. I am going to try and explain more soon. Then you maybe able to help again.
Many thanks
Margaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 09:57:11 PM »
If I can help you at any time please just ask away.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 09:41:40 AM »
Thank you Eileen here goes. This is the best example.
Go to musicfinder Database page
Go down to corrected MFD for tyros/cvp keyboard
press tyros 5 txt
When i do that on my computer it comes up what app i want to open it in. I have tried several, and no good.

The same thing happens with Master music finder database, click on tyros 5.
If this doesnt make sense i give up.
Beleive it or not i can play, its just i have a bee in my bonnet as they say.
My 70 year old brain is going slow.

Cheers Margaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 06:52:20 PM »
Hello Margaret,
  You cannot open up a Music Finder file on the computer. You will only see it on your tyros. Was there a reason you wanted to see it on your computer.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 02:39:28 AM »
Hi Eileen. I think i will give up. I wish we lived closer it is easier to show what i mean. thank you for your help so far also the other members too.I will concentrate on playing i think.

Thank you again
Kind regards
Margaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 05:21:15 PM »
Hello Margaret as you know Tyros 5 comes with a Music Finder already loaded. Are you trying to add to this.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 02:20:52 AM »
Hi Eileen. No i can do that. Im trying to open a mfd file from people who have put styles on and have attached a mfd file to that. i can open the styles and put them on a usb stick but the mfd file is blank.I assumed that would have a list of songs on it.

Cheers margaret

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 02:27:46 AM »
Hi Eileen. No i can do that. Im trying to open a mfd file from people who have put styles on and have attached a mfd file to that. i can open the styles and put them on a usb stick but the mfd file is blank.I assumed that would have a list of songs on it.

Why don't you just load the mfd file on your keyboard. That's what they're designed for.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Ed B

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2022, 03:24:19 AM »
Hi Margret
Why not spend some time on the lessons side of this web site. It will  provide a good overview of how things work and if you are having trouble come and ask questions and some of us will help you. Don't give up!
Here is the link to take you to the music finder section:
https://psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/mf/index.html
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline freeplay

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2022, 08:21:27 AM »
Thank you i will give that a try that.

kind regards Margaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 03:49:14 PM »
Hello Margaret I believe I understand now. Someone is sending you MF files where they have added some different styles to that are not on the keyboard. There is no way you can get at these to use as only the link to the keyboard they are used in will be saved. You need to ask the person to send you the actual styles.

Offline freeplay

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2022, 07:16:22 AM »
Hi Eileen. Thank you maybe that will work
Cheers Maragaret

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 11:48:28 AM »
Yes, Margaret if you have the styles and save them to your hard drive which is the best place for them you can then save them to the Music Finder yourself.

Offline Bill

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2022, 05:04:34 PM »
Hi Maragaret

If you want to look at what is inside the Music Finder file on your PC you can  download a small program called Music Finder View - link below

http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/musicfinderview/musicfinderviewmain.htm

Another suggestion as to why you do not see anything - It could be that the file you download is ACTUALLY a Blank File. Some time ago these were on the forum for those people that wanted to start again from Scratch.

When you were discribing what you were attempting to do you mentioned Tyros 5 TXT - if your file has the extension TXT it may have been changed by the unzipping process. It might be worth while changing the ext to MFD.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline freeplay

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2022, 02:45:40 AM »
Thank you Eileen and Bob for your replys. I will look into it. The file does look like it has nothing in it so you ,maybe onto some thing there Bob.
Cheers Margaret