Author Topic: Firmware up-date psr-sx900  (Read 1783 times)

Offline mhack

Firmware up-date psr-sx900
« on: August 31, 2022, 07:35:07 PM »
I updated my sx900 firmware. It really sounds TERRIBLE! Is it possible to re-update with the version I had? I think it was 1.05.
Thanks.
Mhack

Offline LaHawk

Re: Firmware up-date psr-sx900
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 08:37:04 PM »
In order to possibly help, could you give us your current firmware version ? (Menu 2 - Utility - System) The latest is 1.11
As far as I know you cannot roll back the firmware.

And if you could further describe "terrible" ?
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 09:06:46 PM »
Hi Mhack,

This firmware update may have reset the System settings (including the User Effect settings, which also include the Master EQ and Master Compressor settings). So please check your Master EQ and Compressor settings (and ideally also that all other System settings are set to your liking). I suspect that this (M. EQ and M. CMP settings) is the reason for the supposedly "worse" sound at the moment. I have never heard of a firmware update on a Yamaha keyboard "degrading the sound".

By the way, if you made a System Backup (.BUP file) on a USB stick before the update, you could first try to load it again (Restore).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, mhack

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 10:39:52 PM »
I updated my sx900 firmware. It really sounds TERRIBLE! Is it possible to re-update with the version I had? I think it was 1.05.
Thanks.
Mhack

You can go back to an older version if you saved the installation file. It could be in your Downloads folder, or on the USB stick you used.

Also, please define "terrible".

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mhack

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 02:46:53 AM »
Thanks for the rapid response. I went through the correct steps as outlined by Yamaha and up-dated to 1.11. No problems in the up-date. Foolishly, I did not back up anything.
I had one up-date prior to this one from 1.3 to 1.5, I believe. No problems there. I started my playing test (single finger mode) with Sky Pop, which, as you know, appears after turning on
the sx900. I reference page 42 of the owners manual, Changing the Chord Fingering Type. I use Single Finger. C7 sounds like a minor. Minor seventh chord gives me drums on Reggaet 1 on
that style, variation 1. I have not looked at any of the EQ settings yet. I thought they would not change. However, I have photos of all EQ's I have set prior to this up-date, so I
believe it will not take long to look at everything. I was not expecting problems. Also, I think I can do a factory reset and get it back to 1.05 firmware if I can't get this one going. I have been
using the EQ Gold for master EQ. Different settings for Mic and VH. Thank you for your help and I welcome all ideas.
Hack

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 04:05:50 AM »
A factory reset won’t reverse the os update. You’ll still be on V1.11.

Sounds to me like your split point has been changed. That’s the first thing I’d check.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 07:43:14 AM »
A factory reset won’t reverse the os update. You’ll still be on V1.11.

Sounds to me like your split point has been changed. That’s the first thing I’d check.

Cheers,
Fred

Hi Mhack,

Yes, as Fred says, please check the Split Points first and set them back to your liking if necessary. The default settings are as follows:
- Style & Left split points: F#2
- Right3 split point: G2

I would NOT set the Fingering to "Single Finger", but to "Multi Finger". With the latter setting you can play the Single Finger chords (1 or 2 fingers) as well as normal chords (3 or more fingers).

To quickly access the Split Point & Fingering display, press [Direct Access] > [Sync Start]. After making the changes, please close the display using the Exit button or the X icon.

Note: To avoid that Registrations change Split Points and/or Fingering again, go to Parameter Lock ([Menu] > Utility > Parameter Lock) and make sure the "Split Point" and/or "Fingering" boxes are ticked.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:46:34 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mhack

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 07:22:44 PM »
Looking at the orange rectangle of a style, when a note is pressed in the one finger mode, this is what shows up
in the right lower corner of the rectangle:
C is shown as C 1+ 8
C7 as CM7/B
F as F 1+ 8
G7 AS G/F
C7 sounds like a MINOR, do the others.

Thanks!
Mhack

Offline mhack

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 07:29:13 PM »
More.....
EQ is still EQ GOLD. I checked the settings from a picture I took of it when I first put it on the 900.
I will try to attach an audio sound file of the progression on the next post.
Mhack
Best regards!

Offline mhack

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 08:41:33 PM »
I do believe you gentlemen are correct! Seems my SINGLE FINGER settings were a bit off. I went back to the reference book and it had me check the fingering settings. It was NOT set on single finger. Much my chagrin, I must use the single finger mode. Thanks so much for your help! Sounding normal now. Heh.
Best,
Mhack