Author Topic: procedure for adding Styles to E373 using Mac or iPad?  (Read 2181 times)

Offline p$manK32

procedure for adding Styles to E373 using Mac or iPad?
« on: August 31, 2022, 04:29:10 AM »
I moved to an E373 from an SX900 believe it or not. The SX900 had a fairly simple method for importing Styles from a USB flash drive. Since the E373 does not have a USB flash drive port, what is the best strategy for loading in Styles via the E373's USB host port? I did find an earlier post about this with a response (below) from Michael. If this is the only way, can anyone provide more detail on exactly how to do this using the iPad app? I was not able to find info about this in the manual. I thought Jeremy See or some other YouTuber mentioned that the E373 only had room for about 10 new Styles and another poster mentioned the Style must be below 50KB and has to be SFF1 format.

The PSR-E363 doesn't have a USB TO DEVICE port for plugging in a USB thumb drive, so the external style file(s) would need to be transferred into the keyboard's internal storage memory from a connected computer using Yamaha's MusicSoft utility.

I think there are only two such utilities available, unless Yamaha has added more versions-- the Yamaha MusicSoft Downloader program for Windows, and the Yamaha MusicSoft Manager app for iPadOS or iPhoneOS. As far as I know, there is no version for the macOS.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:22:54 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: Ausberto

Offline casiokid

Re: procedure for adding Styles to E373 using Mac or iPad?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 10:04:29 AM »
I think you will find adding Styles requires a pc or laptop coupled to keyboard with a USB lead -see manual.   

Set E373 to 'Storage On' computer will then recognise the E373 is now linked, and copy and paste Style files into keyboard E-373. Then switch to 'Storage Off' await 'Writing' then press StyleReg, followed by pressing the Reset  button to locate the style(s) downloaded and allocate them, by pressing the Yes button to a Style slot between 206-215

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:35:53 AM by casiokid »

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 04:19:02 PM »
Hi p$manK32,

In addition to casiokid's tips: Please read page 50 (Connection to a computer) and page 29 (Registering a Style file) in the PSR-E373 Manual. There you will find all important things for transferring Style files from a computer (using the Storage Mode of the E373) and registering up to 10 Style files to the internal Style numbers 206 - 215. Only SFF1 Style files (extension must be .STY) with a maximum size of 50 KB are supported.

By the way,  files (.STY, .MID, .BUP) up to a total of about only 1.4 MB can be transferred to the internal memory E373. And you don't need to install any Driver on the computer to use the E373's Storage Mode.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 04:27:39 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Ausberto

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 07:41:15 PM »
Thanks casiokid and Chris,

I will explore these tips soon. I’m not sure how to “copy and paste” a Style from the computer into the keyboard but I will give it a try by going through the process and might ask by PM if I get stuck.

Some of the chill/ambient styles I was looking to load in are over 60kb so I guess those won’t work. I decided to trade in my SX900 for a MODX for much greater sound control. But E373 is nice to have some arranger capability.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:17 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Rich!

Please also see this "Computer Related Operations" online manual (available in different languages):
>>> https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/common/computer/lang/language.html

Here are the pages from the English version of this manual that are important to you:

Transferring data files Including Song Files, Style Files and Backup Files:
>>> https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/common/computer/en/computer_en_rm_t0_08.htm

Target Models and Functions:
>>> https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/common/computer/en/computer_en_rm_t0_12.htm#_Target_Models_and

Transferring files with a Computer using Explorer (Windows), Finder (Mac), etc.:
>>> https://manual.yamaha.com/mi/common/computer/en/computer_en_rm_t0_10.htm#_Transferring_files_using_1

Note: With the E373, files are transferred to the computer directly using Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. (The "MusicSoft Downloader" program is NOT required here.) After connecting the E373 (which needs to be switched to "Storage Mode") via USB cable to the computer, the E373's internal memory will appear on the computer as a new/additional drive (called "Yamaha PK" or similar). You can then easily access it via copy/cut/paste.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:41:16 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 10:37:39 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for all those links. I made a note of all of them including procedures and will try this soon.

I noticed that the style converter software that can convert to SFF1 format (link found on this website in the Utilities section) appears to be for Windows only. Do you have any idea if there is a converter for Mac?

thanks

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 12:12:56 AM »
Chris,

Thanks for all those links. I made a note of all of them including procedures and will try this soon.

I noticed that the style converter software that can convert to SFF1 format (link found on this website in the Utilities section) appears to be for Windows only. Do you have any idea if there is a converter for Mac?

thanks

Rich

Thanks for your feedback, Rich!

I am currently not aware of any program/app for macOS to convert Yamaha Styles (SFF2 to SFF1). Almost all editing programs for Yamaha Styles are only available for Windows computers.

If you don't want to work with Windows on the Mac (e.g. with BootCamp or a virtual Windows under e.g. Parallels or VirtualBox), I recommend you to buy a (used?) Windows laptop with Windows 10. If you don't want to do demanding Audio/Video editing, but only Style/MIDI file editing, a laptop (notebook) based on an Intel i3 processor (better an i5) or a newer Pentium processor with at least 4 GB (better 8 GB) RAM and an onboard graphics card is sufficient.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 12:17:36 AM by overover »

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 06:31:55 AM »
Chris,

I didn't know that the converter software was only for Windows. I can use a family member's Windows computer for this.

This is not a critical task for me, I just thought I would try it since the keyboard does allow a few extra styles to be loaded in.

thanks again!

Rich
SX900, MODX7+