Author Topic: How to avoid Upper-Octave change OTS?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline brucerez

How to avoid Upper-Octave change OTS?
« on: September 12, 2022, 11:46:16 PM »
Hi,

My Registration memory number 1 is et to -1 Upper-Octave. I select it and start playing, no problem.
But as soon as I switch to any of OTS (from 1 to 4) they are all lowered one octave like my Registration memory number 1, Not good.

How can I avoid the Registration memories affect/change the octave of the OTS?

Thank you

Offline hans1966

Re: How to avoid Upper-Octave change OTS?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 04:42:29 AM »
Hello Brucerez,
The quickest solution I can think of is to have another sound available with normal octave, on the next button in the registration memory, for example: #2, and then press any of the OTS buttons.

Then you will be able to hear the sounds in the normal octave.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 05:40:26 AM »
Hello Brucerez,
The quickest solution I can think of is to have another sound available with normal octave, on the next button in the registration memory, for example: #2, and then press any of the OTS buttons.

Then you will be able to hear the sounds in the normal octave.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Hans

Thanks Hans for the reply and the suggestion.

I was thinking the same thing but honestly I don't understand the logic and limitation that Yamaha put in the design of the OS.
I for sure wont remember what Registration has one octave down or up and then switch to a OTS and looking for the octave up/down. Not at all practical and convenient during live performances.

I don't see any advantage of this function. It looks to me like a bug.
Usually the OTS with their setup (Volume, Pan, Octave, etc...) are saved inside the Styles and are independent of Registration.

Anyway thanks for your reply.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 08:55:07 AM »
Rather than using the overall keyboard transpose function, try going into voice set and changing the octave for the voice in there. It should keep that setting when saved to OTS.
Genos

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 09:01:26 AM »
That is the way I handle the problem, also

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 01:33:31 PM »
Yes this is the correct way to change octaves on Ri,2,and 3 voices.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 07:33:43 PM »
@ DerekA, Bernie9 and EileenL,
Thank you for your replies.

I've already done what you suggested and I am aware of that. I usually edit the octave of each OTS in Menu > Voice Part Setup and then I save it with the style.
But as soon as I select a Registration that has -1 octave and switch back to any OTS, the latter will be set also to -1 octave (which originally the octave is saved zero).

You can try it yourself to replicate the issue.

Best regards

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 09:58:55 PM »
Are you going to Menu and then on page one selecting Voice part Set up. This allows you to set each voice in different octaves. Up two or Down 2 octaves. Once set save to registration and then re-save registration. This way it dose not alter anything in the OTS section. If you are doing this with the on board style OTS you must then re-save as User Styles.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 12:27:44 AM »
Are you going to Menu and then on page one selecting Voice part Set up....
Yes as I mentioned in my previous post above.

Once set save to registration and then re-save registration. This way it dose not alter anything in the OTS section. If you are doing this with the on board style OTS you must then re-save as User Styles.
I need to save the voice in OTS not to Registration, I have other different voices in Registration 1-8.
My style is already copied in User style.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 12:29:26 AM by brucerez »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 09:47:47 AM »
@ DerekA, Bernie9 and EileenL,
Thank you for your replies.

I've already done what you suggested and I am aware of that. I usually edit the octave of each OTS in Menu > Voice Part Setup and then I save it with the style.
But as soon as I select a Registration that has -1 octave and switch back to any OTS, the latter will be set also to -1 octave (which originally the octave is saved zero).

Even if the individual voice octaves are set correctly in registrations and OTS's, if you subsequently change the
"global octave" to say minus 1 either manually or if a registration causes it, the voices in the OTS will sound an octave lower (even though the individual OTS voice octaves remain unchanged/ correctly set).
The main point to remember is that OTS's by design do not save the global octave, (as registrations do) so cannot reset them when selected.
If you still need to use registrations AND OTS in your playing the more obvious options might be:

1. Ensure all regs that change global are resaved with the global at zero and the individual voice octaves are changed  to compensate.

2. Instead of pushing OTS buttons during play, pre-save your OTS requirements to registrations (checking global octave settings are appropriate, eg. zero) and use those instead.

3. In the meantime reset the global to zero BEFORE selecting an OTS, either by pushing the plus and minus buttons simultaneously or set up a special registration specifically to do that.

Hopefully one of the options will be practical for your use (and not involve too much work!)
John

« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 01:01:27 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 03:42:01 PM »
Make note that if the registration you are using was saved with octave shift down then the OTS will follow. Don't use a registration that was set this way when wanting to also use OTS.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 12:45:17 AM »
...The main point to remember is that OTS's by design do not save the global octave, (as registrations do) so cannot reset them when selected.
If you still need to use registrations AND OTS in your playing the more obvious options might be:

1. Ensure all regs that change global are resaved with the global at zero and the individual voice octaves are changed  to compensate.
Hopefully one of the options will be practical for your use (and not involve too much work!)
John

Thank you John for detailed explanation, I got your first suggestion, very helpful.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2022, 07:48:48 AM »
Hi brucerez,

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you found a solution among the options  ;)
John