Author Topic: SX900 Pedal Steel Guitar voice  (Read 1847 times)

Offline DrakeM

SX900 Pedal Steel Guitar voice
« on: August 29, 2022, 08:24:34 PM »
Listening to this video of the SX900 keyboard, the Pedal Steel Guitar voice is the same as the improved one that is on the Genos.  8)
Is that correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QsaBfbUufk

Regards
Drake

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Amwilburn

Re: SX900 Pedal Steel Guitar voice
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »
Good catch with the name, but unfortunately not.

The PedalSteelGuitar from Genos is all new, multi sampled.
The PedalSteelGuitar from the sx900 is identical to PedalSteelAmp from T5; both appear to be single velocity sampled, so there's no dynamics from playing harder. Once the same US Combo Rich Clean DSP settings are applied (as well as the same EQ), it becomes apparent that the T5 and sx900 guitars are identical, both much less expressive and textured than the Genos one, even with the exact same FX parameters applied.

Which is why on the sx900 OTS they add a digital delay to that guitar, on the Genos OTS they don't (Nashiville Pop)

Mark

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 11:07:49 PM »
Actually the Genos pedal steel guitar holds the Root note while bending the other notes. It sounds like the SX900 also has this new feature from the videos. Which is similar to what was done to the Bag pipe voice.

That is what I wish verified.

I see that both keyboard have the new toggle switch which also allows the Pedal Steel Guitar to sound more realistic.

Thanks
Drake
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 11:09:00 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 12:28:30 AM »
Not sure what you mean, all 3 pedal steels bend the lowest note only.1

Not sure which toggle switch you mean, but none of them use super articulation buttons.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 11:36:21 AM »
My S950 bends all the notes. The Genos does not bend the lowest note, only the higher notes.

Does anybody with a SX900 know if this is how this newer keyboard works?

Thanks
Drake

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2022, 07:45:42 PM »
My Genos has 3xSA pedal steels and when the joystick is moved sideways or a pedal assigned to Glide is used only the lowest note bends. There is also a non SA PSteel and all notes will bend with it.
The SA Voice nos are as follows:
1.PedalSteelGuitar 008/061/004, not found in SX900 Data List
2. PedalSteel 008/036/004,  Nos. ARE found in SX Data List
3. PedalSteelAmp 008/052/004, Nos. ARE found in SX Data List

I don't have a SX to confirm but since the voice nos of 2 and 3 are identical to those in Genos (the critical identity in comparing voices across keyboards rather than the names which may vary) I am sure bends or glides will he applied to the lowest notes played within chords as with Genos.
John

PS on the SX the 2 Guitars are called :
PedalSteelGuitar and PedalSteelAmp
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 07:59:41 PM by jwyvern »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »
Thanks John,

My bad memory of what note was being bent with the new Genos Pedal Steel guitar voice. Don Mason had told me that something new was going on with the Pedal Steel Guitar voice when the Genos first came out. He was right I need that new feature on a SX keyboard.

Can someone with a SX900 confirm if this feature is included with the Pedal Steel Guitar on their keyboard?

I am interested in upgrading to the next SX keyboard that comes out if this feature is on the keyboard, otherwise, there is nothing on the keyboard that would enhance my performances. A Genos is too big to carry around and I don't need more keys and I already have my PA system. 

Regards
Drake

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 11:03:07 PM »
I already have? I have the Genos and sx900, had the T5 here up til only a month ago. they behave the same as my s970, pitch bend affects lowest note only. Also have the sx700, A5000, sx600, etc etc here.

You said s950 bends all the notes? then it's not the super articulated one. Thats how they did it before s.art, yes.  But the s950 does have s.art PedalSteelAmp, and it *should* bend the lowest note as well (I don't have an s950 atm to check). Note the s950 has 2 different "pedal steel"; one is S.Art and should bend the lowest note, the other is not, and will bend all notes.

But 100% PedalSteelGuitar is not the same voice on sx900 vs Genos.

ekurburski

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 11:47:41 PM »
gotta say this video shows off sx900's pedal steel  very well. Good enough tp tempt me to order mine.

ekurburski

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 11:59:52 PM »
does the 700 have a comparable pedal steel?

Offline hans1966

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2022, 04:28:13 AM »
My S950 bends all the notes. The Genos does not bend the lowest note, only the higher notes.

Does anybody with a SX900 know if this is how this newer keyboard works?

Thanks
Drake

Hi DrakeM, I just checked my SX900, and it has PedalSteelGuitar S.Art'. (Preset) and normal PedalSteelGuitar (Legacy)
the latter doubles the three notes

I could also see that it has PedalSteelAmp S.Art'. (Tyros 5) sounds brighter than the previous two, but doubles the lowest note, just like PedalSteelGuitar S.Art'

I hope this helps you

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"