Author Topic: User voices from YEM  (Read 1675 times)

Offline masterfil

User voices from YEM
« on: August 24, 2022, 08:06:44 AM »
Hi, I recently bought a sx 700, after having had s910 and s770. A strange thing happens to me: installing new voices with YEM and then moving them to USER, I see them loaded in my user files but the keyboard does not play them. With the s770 I had done it quietly and while I was playing I called them back with the expansion user button, without problems. Now I call them back but they don't work. Any solution? Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 03:14:56 PM by masterfil »

Offline EileenL

Re: User voices from YEP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 12:05:43 PM »
The SX700 dose not play YEP files. This was a format used for earlier keyboards and is no longer used in the new keyboards. Go on the the Music Soft site and see if the pack you want is there for the SX700. All packs are now free. You will need to load them into the YEM first and then make an install pack from there.

Offline masterfil

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Sorry Eileen, I meant YEM   :D

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 02:20:25 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, masterfil!

You should be able to load the installed Expansion Voices in the Voice Selection display under "User > Expansion > Name of the desired Pack". If this doesn't work for you, it could be because you were working with an old YEM version: If you are not using the current YEM version 2.8.1, uninstall the previous YEM version and install V2.8.1, because only this version supports all currently available Expansion Packs. (The packs already imported into the YEM are NOT deleted by a new installation, so they are immediately available again in the new YEM version.)

Then create a new Pack Installation file (.ppi/.cpi) with the desired Expansion content on the USB stick and use it to run the Pack Installation again on the keyboard. Note: Do not use the Quick Installation method (.pqi/.cqi file type)!

If it still doesn't work, I recommend that you remove the previous Packs from the YEM (Delete) and instead download the current free Packs (.cpf format) in the SX700 version here and use them in the YEM: >>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 02:25:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: masterfil

Offline masterfil

Re: User voices from YEM
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »
Thanks, you are fantastic!

Offline masterfil

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 09:14:44 PM »
Dear Chris,
 I checked and the YEM I installed is v.2.8.1. correctly. Perhaps I had made myself ill. With YEM I prepare the file, I load it on the USB stick, I load the expansion and everything works and sounds, if I leave the voices in the expansion. The problem arises when I copy the items from expansion to USER and delete the expansion. The voice I uploaded no longer sounds. So I wonder: what  need  the USER area for if I can't save the expansion entries? Do I always have to leave entries in the expansion area, taking up a lot of memory? Thanks again for the tips!

Offline Misu

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 06:54:29 AM »
Hi,

When you make what you make in fact you copy on user not a voice but a name with an address path.
After you delete the expansion, the VCE from USER doesn't find any wave to play at that address, so is normal to be like that.
Hope to be clear enough.

Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline danand

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 09:03:47 AM »
what  need  the USER area for if I can't save the expansion entries

Apart from sounds who use new samples, sounds you usually found on expansion packs, your SX can also handle "user voices" which can be variations of existing sounds which you can edit with the basic on-board "voice editor".
That's why exist the "voice USER area". There you can store this "sound variations".
Also, something not many users know, your SX can be a powerful synthesizer!
From YEM you can layer up to 8 different internal waveforms and create new sounds.
You can also create custom drum-kits using drums and percussion waveforms from the internal (ROM) memory.
This "new sounds" (or drum kit) although you can install them to your SX only by a YEM installation file, since consist from waveforms from the internal memory (ROM waveforms) , can stay on the "USER area" even after deleting the original installation file.

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 12:38:13 PM »
... Also, something not many users know, your SX can be a powerful synthesizer!
From YEM you can layer up to 8 different internal waveforms and create new sounds.
You can also create custom drum-kits using drums and percussion waveforms from the internal (ROM) memory.
This "new sounds" (or drum kit) although you can install them to your SX only by a YEM installation file, since consist from waveforms from the internal memory (ROM waveforms) , can stay on the "USER area" even after deleting the original installation file.

To my knowledge, editing internal Voices in YEM or creating new Voices using internal samples in YEM is only possible for Genos and Tyros5, but unfortunately not for PSR-S/SX models.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:43:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: masterfil

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 01:23:56 PM »
If you save expansion voices as User having tweaked them they still need the original voice in the expansion for them to work. It has always been this way. All that is saved in the user voice is any effects you may have used and a link to the original voice.