Author Topic: How to change Octave up/down in style tracks?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline brucerez

How to change Octave up/down in style tracks?
« on: August 21, 2022, 07:23:14 PM »
Hi,

I would like to change the octave for some Style Tracks (ex; Chord 1, Chord 2).
I looked at the Menu (page 1 and 2) in my keyboard but I couldn't find any option to change the Octave (Down/Up) for style tracks, we can only change it for right hand tracks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline DrakeM

Re: How to change Octave up/down in style tracks?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 11:30:10 PM »
To my knowledge you can’t change style parts with the keyboard, maybe with 3rd party software.

But with some older styles (SFF1) you can UNLOCK the style and then change it with the keyboard style editor as you want to do. Your keyboard contains all the newer format, SFF2 styles.

This is what is going to happen if you try to change the octave of a SFF2 style with the keyboard editor. You can go to the edit TAB and select the CHD1 channel and a window opens up and asks:  DO YOU WANT TO DELETE THE RECORED DATA?

What you will need to do is delete the data and record it into the CHD1 slot yourself. Then you may EDIT the track any way you need to. You can change notes and change the octave.

If it is a GUITAR track you are wanting to change, it would be best to just keep going through your styles and find another option.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 06:20:53 AM »
Buy yourself a copy of StyleMagic... you will glad you did.  You can change the octave in just a couple of seconds and do a whole more editing with the program.

StyleMagic is copy protected. The author requires you have a USB thumb drive (and no other USB drives) plugged into your computer when you buy the program.  The USB drive will serve as a dongle to allow the program to boot.  The program is portable so you can run it from any computer that has the dongle plugged in. 

StyleMagic has excellent Voice and Drum Editors, and enormous editing and mixing capabilities.  You can download a demo version of the program to try before you buy.  The demo is fully functional except for SAVE. Features include full support for all Yamaha arranger keyboard models, Export and Import of individual style Parts and complete style Sections and has the ability to create styles from MIDI song files as well as importing style Parts and style Sections you have saved to disk.

A trick I learned early on is if you change the file extension of Multi Pads from .pad to .mid you can load the MP into StyleMagic and convert the MP to 4 Parts of a style.  You will have to move the MP channels from ch 1-4 to the appropriate style channels 9-16.  BTW... you will have access to the alternate channels 1 - 8.   And if you edit or Export a style Part that uses and alternate channel for Minor or 7th chords those channels will be edited also and Exported along with the main channel (9 through 16)  The program also supports expansion packs.  There is a free utility to add expansion pack Voices to the program. I have added 5 expansion packs to my copy of StyleMagic.

https://www.midisoft.pl/en/

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:26:12 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 09:16:06 AM »
I haven't confirmed this, but I think you need to go to the style creator's SFF Edit tab, after selecting the right channel to edit. Change the High Key up an octave.
Genos

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
To my knowledge you can’t change style parts with the keyboard, maybe with 3rd party software...

Thanks Drake for the information.

I had a doubt about that since I didn't find any option in the keyboard without deleting and redoing the Track part.
I prefer not deleting the track part and just using the 3rd party software for changing the octave.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 11:13:57 PM »
Buy yourself a copy of StyleMagic... you will glad you did.  You can change the octave in just a couple of seconds and do a whole more editing with the program.
...The program also supports expansion packs.  There is a free utility to add expansion pack Voices to the program. I have added 5 expansion packs to my copy of StyleMagic.
https://www.midisoft.pl/en/

Joe H

Thanks Joe for the suggestion.

I have already the Style Magic, what an excellent program.
I will give a try for changing the octave in style track.

How about the Style Magic that supports the expansion pack?
Can you please explain how to install and use it in Style Magic?

Thank you

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 11:15:23 PM »
I haven't confirmed this, but I think you need to go to the style creator's SFF Edit tab, after selecting the right channel to edit. Change the High Key up an octave.

Thanks DerekA for the info.
I'll give it a try and report back how it goes.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 12:05:36 AM »

I tried today.
Just FYI, in SFF Edit, my High Key (in Phrase 2 track) is already set on G8 (highest note) by default.
So this is not working.

Thanks anyway
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:07:03 AM by brucerez »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 12:18:27 AM »
Thanks Joe for the suggestion.

I have already the Style Magic, what an excellent program.
I will give a try for changing the octave in style track.

How about the Style Magic that supports the expansion pack?
Can you please explain how to install and use it in Style Magic?

Thank you

It's a 2 step process.  Read this thread: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,53624.msg431410.html#msg431410 Read all the post on this page... it is important, it will explain a lot of info.

First you must create a text file formatted correctly for StyleMagic using the built-in utility in the free YEM Content Explorer (YEM-CE)

https://mvsoft.weebly.com/yem-ce-version-history.html Read all the release notes on the history (different versions of the program)

You can also create Voice lists for MixMaster, PadMaker-Midi and PadMaker-Style (all share the same Voice list format), and EMC software: Style Factory and StyleWorks.  To open a MixMaster Voice file and right-click to select Note Pad to edit.  Do the same for Voice lists for EMC programs. Just paste the expansion pack Voice list at the end of the file.

For StyleMagic use the IDL Editor (free) from the midisoft website. when you run IDL Editor you simply add Voice lists to your StyleMagic program by clicking in the main Window... and give it a name (you must select StyleMagic if you also have MidiWorks.  It is pretty much self explanatory when you run the IDL Editor.  The utility will also allow you to remove a pack Voice list.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 02:29:02 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline brucerez

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 04:28:59 PM »
@ Joe,
Thank you for detailed explanation, appreciated.

Offline XofSwords

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 11:58:43 AM »
An easy way is recording the style parts to a new user song. Once the recording is finished you can transpose any track instantly. (But obviously you can’t then manipulate the parts in real time after. Depends what you’re wanting to do.)

All style parts and multipads are completely editable once recorded into a user song. It’s taken me ages and a lot of trial and error learning the step editing, but you can add and remove notes from any style parts, add cutoff, resonance changes etc to multipad parts. Copy cutoff / resonance / expression presets from style parts and paste them into the multi pad or user played channels (super useful if you need your whole song to filter up or down etc). I’m feeling like a proper producer these days 😆
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 12:03:51 PM by XofSwords »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 06:01:12 PM »
An easy way is recording the style parts to a new user song. Once the recording is finished you can transpose any track instantly. (But obviously you can’t then manipulate the parts in real time after. Depends what you’re wanting to do.)

All style parts and multipads are completely editable once recorded into a user song. It’s taken me ages and a lot of trial and error learning the step editing, but you can add and remove notes from any style parts, add cutoff, resonance changes etc to multipad parts. Copy cutoff / resonance / expression presets from style parts and paste them into the multi pad or user played channels (super useful if you need your whole song to filter up or down etc). I’m feeling like a proper producer these days 😆

Buy yourself a copy of StyleMagic and save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

Joe H