Author Topic: Intro Voices  (Read 3334 times)

Online porterma

Intro Voices
« on: August 18, 2022, 10:57:56 PM »
Hi,
I am wondering if it is possible to identify the voices used in the style "introductions" on the Genos.
Some them sound terrific and I would like to be able to use that voice while playing the melody.
Thank you very much if you are able to help me out with information in this regard.

Mark

Offline EileenL

Re: Intro Voices
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:24 PM »
Just tap the little pictures that show over the style part and it will take you to the voice used. Some of these will be XG voices.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 01:23:19 AM »
Yup! Just tap channel (on screen button that looks like 2 rows of rectangles in a square, some white some hollow) and then tap on the square picture (you should see drums, pianos guitars) and it will bring up the instrument.

Mark

Online porterma

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:15:40 PM »
Thanks Mark and Eileen for your help with this.

Mark

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
You are very welcome Mark.

Online porterma

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:29:36 AM »
Just a follow up to my original question:
Yes, now I can see the name of the voices used in the style "Introductions" - but now I am wondering if it is possible to find how those voices have been altered (Chorus, reverb, etc.) because the voice used in the introduction I am listening to is very different from the one when I go and choose that voice as a right hand voice to play.
Thanks again for all your help with this.

Mark

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
Just a follow up to my original question:
I am wondering if it is possible to find how those voices have been altered (Chorus, reverb, etc.)

Hi Mark --

Time to dive into Voice Edit (Genos Reference Manual, page 48) and the Mixer (page 124). You can examine DSP effect details through the Mixer (as explained on page 127). Choice of DSP effect and associated parameters can radically alter the sound of a voice.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: porterma

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 08:23:50 PM »
I think he means how can we see how the intro voices are set, so that we can make user voices excactly like it? I fear this is not foajle, because they often use megavoices in intros and endings, and they can only be used for left part. Hope I am wrong!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Online porterma

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 10:35:07 PM »
Yes, Toril, that is what I was looking at - First, I wanted to know what voices were being used in the style introductions; then I wanted to know how those voices (from Introduction) were being altered (eg. by reverb, chorus, ect.).
I am not sure that "Voice Edit" will give me that, or will it ???

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 11:18:52 PM »
Yes, as long as they are not Megavoices.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 07:47:07 AM »
Normal voice edits done in the voice editor are ignored if the voice is used in a style. Style voice edits have to be carried out in the Mixer (touch the style tab and the appropriate editing tabs to view the edits.)
John
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:48:24 AM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: porterma

Offline pjd

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 06:36:03 PM »
Hi Mark --

Here's a different approach or two.

Style files are MIDI files in disguise. Change the file extension to MID and open the file in a DAW (Cubase or whatever). Then poke around in the tracks (parts) of interest.

Another option is Michael B's StyleDump program. (No need for a DAW.) It displays the MIDI messages for each part including the set-up messages. Should be able to see changes to the stock voice.

Hope these ideas help -- pj

Online porterma

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2022, 01:00:09 AM »
Hi PJ
Thanks, those tips are great!

Mark