Author Topic: Importing WAV to YEM problem !!!  (Read 3206 times)

Offline stajkov

Importing WAV to YEM problem !!!
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »
Hello everybody, I have a problem with importing WAV files into YEM. It won't load. I uploaded picture with that message. I tried to uninstall and install again YEM and always the same problem. The WAV's file are 44khz 16bit. And there is another question.I uninstall YEM, delete all my packs from the folder where they are, install again and everything is there?!?! Like nothing happened. I am a little confused?!  It's PC - Windows 10 os. Thank's

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline johan

Re: Importing WAV to YEM problem !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 08:15:09 PM »
I don't know for YEM, but in general wave files for Yamaha keyboard need to be 44.1 kHz sample rate, 16 bit resolution and in  stereo.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 11:47:48 PM »
The packs are saved in a special file on computer. This is so that when you uninstall and update the YEM it will load back as it was. Remove the Packs from the YEM its self but make sure you have copies of them. Are you loading your new sounds by Making a new pack first and then importing the voices from where they are stored.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 11:56:49 PM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, stajkov!

Hello everybody, I have a problem with importing WAV files into YEM. It won't load. I uploaded picture with that message. I tried to uninstall and install again YEM and always the same problem. The WAV's file are 44khz 16bit.

It is best if the Wav files to be imported into the YEM are in 44.1 kHz / 16-bit / Stereo format. However, I have just done a small test and was able to import Mono Wav files and also files with 48 kHz sample rate and/or other resolutions (e.g. 32-bit floating). So that shouldn't be the issue in your case.

If you use very long file names, try renaming some of the Wav files to e.g. Test1.wav, Test2.wav etc. This might help.

And there is another question.I uninstall YEM, delete all my packs from the folder where they are, install again and everything is there?!?! Like nothing happened. I am a little confused?!  It's PC - Windows 10 os. Thank's

The imported packs and all current user settings are in the so-called "YEM user folder". This is located in the "AppData" folder, which is hidden by default. The exact path is as follows on Windows:

"C:\ Users\ <YourUsername> \AppData\ Local\ Yamaha\"

There you will find the "Expansion Manager" folder. To delete all installed packs and all install targets from the YEM and reset the YEM to the default settings, rename this folder (e.g. to "Expansion Manager OLD"). Alternatively, you can also delete the folder completely. The next time you start YEM, a new, empty "Expansion Manager" folder will be automatically created at this location.

If you only want to delete the installed packs from the YEM, but want to keep the other settings (e.g. Install Targets), OPEN the "Expansion Manager" folder mentioned and delete the "Packs" folder there (or rename it to e.g. " packs OLD"). The next time you start YEM, a new, empty "Packs" folder will be automatically created at this point.

To quickly get to the location of the YEM user folder, press [Windows] + [R] to open the "Run" window. There you enter the following string (or copy it from here) ...

%LocalAppData%

... and press the [Enter] key. (Note the two percent signs!)

Windows Explorer opens automatically with the following path:

"C:\ Users\ <YourUsername>\ AppData\ Local\"

You are now in the "Local" folder. Now scroll down and open (double-click) the "Yamaha" folder to see the previously mentioned "Expansion Manager" folder. If necessary, also open this folder to see the "Packs" folder mentioned.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:03:33 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline stajkov

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 12:40:20 PM »
Thank's for the help! I have tried everything that you OVEROVER wrote and the same thing. Beside YEM I have only AWAVE STUDIO, and EXTREME SAMPLE CONVERTER. Maybe they are causing the problem?? I will try to reinstall Windows again and than see the result.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 04:24:14 PM »
Thank's for the help! I have tried everything that you OVEROVER wrote and the same thing. Beside YEM I have only AWAVE STUDIO, and EXTREME SAMPLE CONVERTER. Maybe they are causing the problem?? I will try to reinstall Windows again and than see the result.

Thanks for your feedback, stajkov!

Are you using the latest YEM version (v2.8.1)? If not, please deinstall your current version and install v2.8.1.

I can't imagine that reinstalling Windows would help here.

If all your Wav files are from the same source (created with the same program) then there might be something "wrong" with (all) those files. Be sure to check with other Wav files as well, e.g. any free downloadable samples in .wav format from the Internet. Please also note that only audio files with the extensions .wav, .aif and .aiff can be used.

You could also install "Audacity v3.1.3":
>>> https://www.audacityteam.org/

Then you test whether your Wav files can be loaded and played in Audacity. If this works, export the files from Audacity again as Wav (ideally, as I said, in the format "44.1 kHz / 16-bit / Stereo" and test again with the YEM.

You could additionally test if you can import Wav files as "User Waves" (click on the "Wave" icon on the Genos Install Target button). (You need these waves if you want to add your own waves to Genos Preset Voices, i.e. if you click on "Create Genos Custom Normal Voice" or "Create Genos Custom Drum Voice" (which have a yellow icon) in your own pack.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »
Another free tool to try is Yamaha's Tiny Wave Editor (TWE). I have used TWE successfully to create WAV files for YEM.

BTW, WAV loop meta-data is not standard. YEM seems to understand TWE's loop meta-data.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Chris's advice is spot on.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
Another free tool to try is Yamaha's Tiny Wave Editor (TWE). I have used TWE successfully to create WAV files for YEM.

BTW, WAV loop meta-data is not standard. YEM seems to understand TWE's loop meta-data.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Chris's advice is spot on.

+1  :)

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »
Hi stajkov,

If you haven't been able to solve the problem yet, could you post one or a few of these Wav files here (upload to a file sharing service such as box.com and link to download here)? Then some forum members could examine these files ...

Best regards,
Chris

Offline stajkov

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 12:03:17 PM »
I solved the problem by reinstalling Windows. Installed YEM and it works. What was causing the problem I don't know. Thank's to everybody for the help!!

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 06:00:07 PM »
Not to criticize -- Re-installing Windows is an extreme solution.  :'( (Man, I've done that hundreds of times at my old job.)

Sounds like it may have been a directory or file protection issue, maybe. In case someone runs into the same problem again, checking directory and file protections might be a good troubleshooting step.

Glad to hear it's working -- pj

Offline vanzee

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »
Off topic:
Reinstalling Windows doesn't have to be such a drama.
Regularly create images of the "C" drive where Windows
and the other programs are installed.
In case of emergency you can  reinstall everything simultaneously
with an image file and continue working.

I make an image of "C" on an external drive every Friday
with "Acronis True Image" and keep it for several weeks
so that I have a number of images in my archive from which
I can go back.

Because sometimes I like to try things,
this system often saved my day.
Best Regards
Eddy Vanzee

The following users thanked this post: wersianer