Author Topic: DGX 670 - rotary effect on/off  (Read 3306 times)

gitaras

DGX 670 - rotary effect on/off
« on: August 18, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »
Hi guys,

How to set the rotary effect on the organ so that it changes smoothly when you press the single pedal included in the kit? So far, I managed to set it to turn on and off, but it does it all at once. I want to simulate the real leslie speaker effect. Unfortunately I only have this basic pedal.
In addition, I had to change in the global settings, I can not do this only do for this sound because it does not work.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:58:44 PM by gitaras »

Offline pjd

Re: DGX 670 - rotary effect on/off
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 05:46:01 PM »
This question always come up...

Yamaha have three types of drawbar organ: 1. "Organ Flutes" drawbars, 2. Voice with rotary sampled in, 3. Voice with rotary DSP effect. The DGX-670 does not have type 1 (Organ Flutes), so forget about that one.

In type 2, the sound of the rotary speaker is recorded into the (internal) waveform which forms the basis for the voice. Usually there is a waveform at the fast speed and a waveform at the slow speed. The voice switches between the two waveforms, i.e., the rotary slow and fast settings. The acceleration or deacceleration is not available. It is a discrete choice.

In type 3, the voice uses the rotary speaker DSP effect. See the ROTARY SPEAKER1 DSP effect in the Data List PDF, page 40. This DSP effect type simulates the speed ramp up and down. Type 3 voices use a DSP effect such as this to simulate the smooth change from slow to fast and vice versa.

So, it comes down to the particular organ voice of interest. I recommend reading about voice editing in the Reference Manual, especially the effects/EQ options on page 16. Please also look at page 68 which further discusses DSP effects and access through the mixer.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline SciNote

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 05:07:46 AM »
Just curious -- on the DGX-670, is there a switch or control to switch from DSP slow rotary to DSP fast rotary and back again, on the fly while playing, which would activate the acceleration and deceleration/ramp up and ramp down effect?  I'm sure it has DSP rotary speaker effects, but does it have a way to easily push a button and automatically get the speed-change effect from one speed to another?

For example, the PSR-E453-473 have the DSP rotary effect, and you can change the speed with one of the live-control knobs, but you must accelerate and decelerate it manually, by gradually turning the knob one way or another.  This, of course, requires using your left hand for several seconds to simulate this effect by gradually turning a knob, when then takes away from playing the keyboard with your left hand.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

gitaras

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:00:37 PM »
Guys, thanks so much for every submitted requests and information. I'm on holiday but after my return I'll try to study manual again.
Maybe Yamaha could fine-tune it through firmware update. At the end I will try to write to them.

Offline elliotpc

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 10:31:52 PM »
Bonsoir,
je cherche aussi cette possibilité de rotary avec un effet progressif... pas encore trouvé, si quelqu'un à la manip à faire...merci à tous
cdlt
patrice

Google translation by overover:

Good evening,
I am also looking for this possibility of rotary with a progressive effect... not yet found, if someone has the manipulation to do... thank you all
cdlt
patrice

Hi Patrice,

I already pointed out to you in your >>> first post (dated July 13, 2023) that this is an English speaking forum. Please stick to the forum rules and only post here in ENGLISH. If you ignore this and continue to post here in French, the admin will restrict your user account so that you can only read, but no longer post.

Best regards, Chris (overover)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:38:37 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 05:08:02 PM »
Google translation by overover:

Good evening,
I am also looking for this possibility of rotary with a progressive effect... not yet found, if someone has the manipulation to do... thank you all
cdlt
patrice

Hi Patrice,

You can assign the "Organ Rotary Slow/Fast" function to a pedal (either a pedal/footswitch connected to the AUX PEDAL jack or one of the three pedals of the separately available "LP-1B/LP-1WH" pedal unit).

See pages 75 - 78 ("Assigning a Specific Function to Each Pedal") in the DGX-670 Reference Manual.

Note that this only works with Voices that use a Rotary Speaker Insert Effect (see page 68 in the DGX-670 Reference Manual).

It is best to save the pedal settings in registrations. You can either memorize the respective pedal settings in each registration, or you work with some setup registrations that contain (among other things) the pedal settings and then do NOT memorize the pedal settings in the normal "playing registrations".

If you don't have this manual yet, you can download by clicking the following link. I recommend also downloading the PDF version of the Owner's Manual as well as the DGX-670 Data List:
>>> https://fr.yamaha.com/fr/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-670/downloads.html#product-tabs

Hope this helps!

P.S.
Please note the text in red font I added to your post above.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 05:27:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline elliotpc

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Merci pour votre réponse rapide.
J'ai bien connecté le pédalier et j'ai bien l'effet rotary sur la pédale de gauche. Cependant je cherche à avoir cet effet mais avec une progressivité comme une vrai cabine leslie.
Actuellement sur cet effet, lorsque j'actionne la pédale de gauche, l'effet rotary fast ou slow est immédiat...
Est ce possible de l'avoir de façon progressive..

merci encore
patrice

Google translation by Chris (overover):

Thank you for your prompt response. I connected the pedalboard well and I have the rotary effect on the left pedal. However I try to have this effect but with a progressiveness like a real leslie cabinet. Currently on this effect, when I operate the left pedal, the rotary fast or slow effect is immediate... Is it possible to get it gradually?

thanks again
patrice
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:45:51 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2023, 02:08:06 PM »
@elliotpc
Hi Patrice,

I have pointed out to you several times that this is an English speaking forum and asked you to post here only in ENGLISH. It is not my job as Global Moderator of the forum to constantly translate your posts written in French into English.

If you continue to post here in French, I will probably remove your posts and/or the admin will restrict your user account, as already mentioned, so that you can no longer post here, but only read.

P.S.
You may be using a translation tool in your browser so that foreign-language websites are automatically displayed in French. But keep in mind that this does NOT work in reverse. This means that if you post yourself, you have to translate your French text into English yourself (e.g. with an online translator tool like Google Translator) and then copy and paste the English text into your post.

Best regards from Germany,
Chris (overover)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 07:43:29 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline elliotpc

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 02:03:40 PM »
Hello, sorry, I did not see your message which indicated me this obviousness. In the future I will post in English. A thousand more apologies. Best regards.

Offline elliotpc

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 07:38:57 PM »
Good evening, in the dsp effects I put rotary 4. In the controller I assigned rotary sow/fast to the aux pedal.
It is an oscillation effect, not a modulation. Not bad but still work to get a decent sound.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 08:07:22 PM »
Good evening, in the dsp effects I put rotary 4. In the controller I assigned rotary sow/fast to the aux pedal.
It is an oscillation effect, not a modulation. Not bad but still work to get a decent sound.

Hi Patrice,

Have you tried the "Rotary Speaker1" effect type yet? According to the information on the available parameters of each effect type in the DGX-670 "Data List" manual (page 40), the parameters "Slow-Fast Time of Woofer" and "Slow-Fast Time of Horn" can be set as desired for this effect type (among other parameters). Maybe this is roughly what you are looking for.

If you don't have the Data List PDF yet, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/portable_grand/dgx-670/downloads.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 08:59:31 PM by overover »