Author Topic: Genos 2 Speakers  (Read 9042 times)

Mike2

Genos 2 Speakers
« on: August 16, 2022, 08:12:45 PM »
Will Yamaha keep the same type of speakers that the Genos 1 has? Very cheap bass module and cable pin hook up.  As far as the sound quality, I don't think anything will be improved, trying to keep the overall price down. Just wish a little more lows for the bass, and a more realistic sounds from the satellite. Not much volume to spare right now. At my age my gig days are over, any improvement in speakers would be a nice addition.

Re: Genos 2 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:28 PM »
I think the general consensus about the Genos speakers are that they're "okay for home use" - sort of. It you want better sound, you invest in upgraded speakers. For Yamaha to design a set for the Genos that would be real crowd pleasers, it's just not feasible when there are plenty of speakers already on the market that can do a far better job at an equal or better price point.

I'd shop around for decent speakers. They may cost slightly more but they'd be worth it. The Genos sounds great over a $150,000 sound system. I know - I've been there 😀. There's certainly nothing wrong with their sound processors.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »
Hi Mike,

Yamaha will probably never offer speakers with Studio quality as an "original" speaker set for a Genos successor, but (as before) a speaker set that offers a sufficiently good sound for "home use" but is still not too expensive. For higher demands I recommend high-quality Studio monitor speakers. For example, I use the (unfortunately no longer manufactured) Yamaha MSP5 Studio active monitor speakers, if necessary in combination with the active subwoofer Yamaha HS8S.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:01:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:53:39 PM »
Yes, I agree with studio monitors, and all of the other speaker options. I have been down that road with all the other major speakers, Pa speakers and so forth. Bose L1, Bose S1 pro, Yamaha HS8 speakers, but like I said, my gig days are over. These I mentioned sound great, but for me and many others, at home playing, you don't need these. Just a little better than what Yamaha has to offer now. I have tried combinations of Bose home, companion 5 speakers, and these now very well affordable.  With a little tweaking at this price, they make the Yamaha Genos speakers look cheap...Just my opinion

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 09:12:51 PM »

I would still say get a pair of Yamaha DXR 8's with integrated amps or the latest out 6 year guarantees as well.
I use Focal Alpha 50's for recording and these also knocks the opposition for six.
These are great with the Genos and also can be used in a small hall if desired. They have lots of power and down low sound quality
These are about £1000 or a little cheaper but when buying a couple of keyboards in the future they will pay for themselves as the Yamaha speakers with boom box cost £300 and included battery wires and sound like a transister radio to me compared with a quality set
If people like them, it is their choice  and maybe adequate for them.
Monitors are best for recording that produce a flat sound.
If you pay nearly £5000 for a Genos , it makes sense to get a decent set of speakers.

At the end of the day it is, you get what you pay for.

All the best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 09:18:52 PM »
Bi-amped studio monitor speakers always sound better than traditional PA speakers.  At least my hearing thinks so.

Robert52

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 09:28:36 PM »
Hi
I’ve just purchased a set of HS7 active speakers positioned on the carpeted floor after many other height position tests they are also on isolation pads that angle the speaker upward the sound is fantastic with a great balance of bass and high / mid. This setup is a world apart from the standard Genos speakers there’s so much detail and control.

Robert

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 10:18:21 PM »
The Genos speakers are OK for me, but I really wish they will get rid of the 8 pin contact!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:29:29 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline JohnH

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 12:35:20 PM »
BUY a BOSE-L1 PRO-------$1200----beginning & end of discussion---you get the BEST sound no matter where you play--looks good--sounds amazing- --portable---exceptional quality -perfect reproduction sounds of all the instruments---last many years !!   I own a Genos---played many gigs with Bose systems--now just play at home--too old to play out anymore, but do play at my house for occasional groups---music room to living room to where ever---the BOSE is top shelf !!---Lets hear it from other Bose users ??!!    -John from N.C.    8)

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 06:11:32 PM »
I think John meant to specify "L1 Pro 8." If he did, he's right. I gig with two of them and the sound is scary good. So is the price ☹.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 08:36:10 PM »
I have Bose L1 compac and Bose S1 Pro for gigs.  Fantastic speakers. But at home I use the Genos speaker set.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 03:40:11 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Del B

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 08:43:51 PM »
I don't go gigging I am currently looking at the Focal Alpha 65 EVO Speakers with stands Around £540 for a pair

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 12:43:33 PM »
I recently bought a pair of Kali LP6 2nd Wave (mainly for guitar use, but I connected my Genos on them too :) ) and I rediscovered my Genos !

The details and definition of those speakers are incredible for the price. (211€ each on Thomann).

Previously, I only used my Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80ohm headphone and it was already pretty nice, but with the Kalis I really enjoy my instrument even more !

So, yes, the Genos MS-GNS01 speakers are crap (I tested them when I bought my Genos, but didn't like the sound ...) and even a modest pair of FRFR Speakers will make justice to the Genos sounds !

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »
I don't go gigging I am currently looking at the Focal Alpha 65 EVO Speakers with stands Around £540 for a pair

Focal are also quality.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Dov

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 11:32:50 PM »
Hello all,

I also just bought a pair of Kali LP6 2nd wave for my sx600, and wow, do they sound good!

But I also happen to have a subwoofer that now I find I can't connect to my keyboard (it's EITHER the external loudspeakers OR the subwoofer, but I can't have BOTH), or maybe there's a way to do it that someone on this forum knows of.

Thanks in advance for any help with connecting both.

PS: I don't have a Genos (yet), sorry...

Offline terryB

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2022, 09:52:57 AM »
Hi Mike,

Yamaha will probably never offer speakers with Studio quality as an "original" speaker set for a Genos successor, but (as before) a speaker set that offers a sufficiently good sound for "home use" but is still not too expensive. For higher demands I recommend high-quality Studio monitor speakers. For example, I use the (unfortunately no longer manufactured) Yamaha MSP5 Studio active monitor speakers, if necessary in combination with the active subwoofer Yamaha HS8S.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris I have a similar set up but with Yamaha HS5 speakers with HS8s subwoofer. I beilieve those are available tp replace MSp5's ?

cheers Terry

Online EileenL

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
I also use the MSP5's and find them great for my music room.

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2022, 02:22:15 PM »
Hi Chris I have a similar set up but with Yamaha HS5 speakers with HS8s subwoofer. I beilieve those are available tp replace MSp5's ?

cheers Terry

Hi Terry,

The "MSP5 Studio" speakers were initially shortlisted for me because they have a protective grille on the front. This is not the case with the Yamaha HS5/7/8 and probably most other studio monitor speakers. Before I bought it, I tested all the studio monitors in a large music store near me for several hours. To my ears, the MSP5 had the best sound. For example, I like the crisp, yet unobtrusive high frequencies of the MSP5 better than the HS5/7/8 models. The latter are of course also good speakers, but I don't think the HS5 should be seen as the successor to the MSP5.

Yamaha introduced the (slightly smaller) MSP3A not too long ago, but the MSP5 Studio seems to be very hard to come by these days.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2022, 02:24:39 PM »
I also use the MSP5's and find them great for my music room.

Hi Eileen,

I'm glad you like the MSP5 too. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2022, 03:57:56 PM »
It is with the Yamaha DXR 8's 8)

Quality sound and they are built like a tank and 6 years warranty.
100% for the Genos 8). Great in my room on a low setting which gives quality.
For the gig man a pair of those with  a sub would be great for a party and small gigs. 8)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:02:48 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Del B

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 04:09:45 PM »
Tomorrow I am auditioning Focal 65evo, Adam TV8 and Genelec's
Below are some of the monitors I will be listening to my budget is around £600

FOCAL ALPHA 65 EVO ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH SPEAKER STANDS AND CABLES £528
ADAM AUDIO T8V MONITOR BUNDLE WITH UNIVERSAL ACOUSTIC FOAM AND CABLES £427
ADAM A7X MONITOR BUNDLE WITH VIBRO-PAD DESKTOP SPEAKER STANDS AND CABLES £798
GENELEC 8030 STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH STANDS £957
GENELEC GE8020DPM STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH SPEAKER STANDS £697
GENELEC 8010 ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH STANDS £535

It is such a mine field and you can only tell what your ears hear that sounds right for yourself
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:12:46 PM by Del B »

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 06:03:23 PM »
I would expect there are no bad choices among that lot, and differences will be small. Hope you find something you love.
I’m betting you will be tempted to go well over budget for the top Genelecs. 🤒
Mike
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 06:07:47 PM by mikf »

Offline overover

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 06:57:28 PM »
It is with the Yamaha DXR 8's 8)

Quality sound and they are built like a tank and 6 years warranty.
100% for the Genos 8). Great in my room on a low setting which gives quality.
For the gig man a pair of those with  a sub would be great for a party and small gigs. 8)

Hi John,

Yes, the Yamaha DXR 8 are good speakers and are definitely also well suited for the Genos. But please keep in mind that these are basically PA speakers. In my opinion, (nearfield) studio monitor speakers are better suited to creating well balanced mixes that sound "good" on different speaker systems.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 08:43:25 PM »
Hi chris
 i use the yamaha DXR's for general listening of playing and Focal Alpha 50s's for mixing.

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2022, 11:31:10 PM »
FOCAL ALPHA 65 EVO ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH SPEAKER STANDS AND CABLES £528
ADAM A7X MONITOR BUNDLE WITH VIBRO-PAD DESKTOP SPEAKER STANDS AND CABLES £798
GENELEC 8010 ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR BUNDLE WITH STANDS £535
And that is exactly why Yamaha designed those low quality speakers for the Genos. There are so many far better alternatives at comparative prices sometimes. Yamaha has better things to do than wasting time and resources improving the Genos speakers...like releasing Genos 2 🤣!

Offline mhack

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2022, 01:36:22 AM »
I just hooked-up my new SM200 subwoofer. Sounds great here in my trailer. No. Seriously!
Thanks,
Mike (Mhack)

Offline Del B

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »
Well I just got home from the audition which included

I had about 2 hours of listening, I used music that I had already recorded directly from the Tyros5 we blue toothed my phone and I accessed my songs from my Box storage account so that worked well. At the end of the audition i chose GENELEC GE8020DPM Studio Monitor with Stands & Cables £730 Mikf was right I did go over budget but did not go for the 8030 that would have been just under £1000

I would expect there are no bad choices among that lot, and differences will be small. Hope you find something you love.
I’m betting you will be tempted to go well over budget for the top Genelecs. 🤒
Mike

Just need to set them up now and try them out :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2022, 07:21:32 PM »
Genelec  is a very good brand! Congrats Del!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline mikf

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
 ;)  :D  ;D
Mike

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »
When I bought my Yamaha HS-8 speakers, I also listened to a pair of Genelec speakers. They were amazing but way out of my price range.

Offline Del B

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2022, 10:42:54 PM »
Well I sat at the tyros 5 with the Genelecs on their stands, they can certainly pack a punch without distortion and the clarity is superb
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 12:00:14 AM by Del B »

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2022, 11:54:48 PM »
Agreed, Del. The Genelecs blow the HS8s out of the water but there's that price thing - roughly double in Canada, I believe.

Offline Del B

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2022, 12:32:54 AM »
Hi Lee the HS8 paired are £575 the Genelec 8020 paired are £700 uk prices the 8030 paired are around £1000 I was tempted to get the 8030

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2022, 02:51:48 AM »
Hi Lee the HS8 paired are £575 the Genelec 8020 paired are £700 uk prices the 8030 paired are around £1000 I was tempted to get the 8030
Good stuff, Del. I'd be tempted to go for the Genelecs.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2022, 08:45:58 PM »
I was close to buing them a couple of years ago, but the price tag scared me off! Very pricy here in Norway, but wounderul sound! And build quality is fantastic.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2022, 11:45:34 PM »
Kali's are also great for studio's

Offline mamero

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2024, 08:18:34 PM »
Regarding Genos 2 and the optional GNS-MS01 speakers.

Do the satellite speakers interfere if you have a second keyboard above the Genos 2 in a multi-tier keyboard setup? Or, are the speakers too in the way?  If in the way what options and solutions are there for moving them further apart to accommodate a second keyboard above?

Thanks and apologies for reviving an older thread.  Many posts in this thread date before Genos 2 was released so this thread must have been renamed to Genos 2 recently.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2024, 07:09:27 AM »
I bought a pair of Neumann KH 120 IIs for my Genos2 rig. Beautiful, clear, detailed sound.

Sweetwater had a special deal: buy two, and they threw in the $300 Neumann MA 1 Microphone for free (you use this microphone with Neumann’s MA 1 software to tune the speakers to produce a flat response in your room).

I was motivated to try these monitors thanks to this amazing review in my favorite music production magazine, Sound On Sound.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 07:12:35 AM by Michael Trigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2024, 09:43:27 AM »
@mamero
GNS-MS01 satellite speakers are only 18cm (7") tall and so they should easily fit between two keyboards (top keyboard is usually slightly tilted toward front).
But there are at least two reasons why I wouldn't use these speakers in case of two keyboard configuration:

1. Satellites are positioned deep in back and if you put 2nd keyboard on top, then it will block mid-high frequency path -and that's what satellites are meant for. I'm not nitpicking, but I expect brightness loss (dull sound) and L/R channel separation will also suffer.
2. If two or more instruments are (planned to be) used, then they're usually connected on mixer (or audio interface), but in this case GNS-MS01 speakers have practically no use.
3. Genos deserves better speakers than GNS-MS01.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: mamero

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2024, 01:09:27 PM »
@Michael
I have seen the review of that speaker at Audio Science Review (which I trust 100%) and in my opinion this speaker is not only among the best 5.25" studio monitors: it is the best we can get!
But it has it's price (1650€/pair)... which an average keyboard owner can hardly justify. And so I think that there are comparable solutions (two monitors + subwoofer) for a half of that price.
Yeah, I'm among those who can't afford it -still, compliments for your decission  :)

Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline mamero

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2024, 05:57:19 PM »
What do you think would sound "better"? A matched pair of HS5 without a sub or the Genos 2 speakers which includes the sub? This is for light home listening. I'm mostly  listening through headphones 70-80%. Just need something near-field with decent sound at moderate volume levels for the other 20-30% that's not WAY over the top financially. A pair of HS5 is more or less in the same price ballpark as the Genos 2 speaker system.  I'm even considering a second hand 3-way compact stereo system which you can find pretty cheap these days (kenwood, pioneer etc). Thanks.

Offline mamero

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2024, 05:58:00 PM »
Mods: can we move this thread to the Genos 2 forum please.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2024, 07:35:41 PM »
hi mamero,
I will try to be short... and keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion  :)

GNS-MS01 =327€
Satellite: 20W (tweeter =0.8", midrange =3"
Subwoofer: 40W, 6.5"

Positives:
-looks nice on keyboard
-relative simple cable management
Negatives:
-can only be used on Genos and if you decide so, you can only sell it to some Genos owner
- frequency range starts at 40Hz (-10db), which in reality means about 50Hz actually

Presonus Eris Sub 8 =198€ + Eris 3.5 =92€, Total=290€
Satellite: 25W (tweeter=1", midrange=3.5"
Subwoofer: 50W, 8"

Positives:
-cheaper than GNS-MS01 and can be used with any keyboard
-frequency range starts at 30Hz (on paper), which is closer to 40Hz in reality (but still has better bass than GNS-MS01)
Negatives:
-doesn't have Yamaha logo  ;)

I gave Presonus just for example, to show, that there are better (sounding) solutions for less money. To get an impression, watch this video.

Yamaha HS 5 is 360€/pair and so quite expensive (one can get similar 5" monitors for less money) -and you should keep in mind that for 5" monitors, a separate subwoofer is in most cases also needed -I'm talking from my experience.
In short, if you don't wish to spend too much money, then Presonus (or similar) is a good starting point.

I hope that was of some help,
Bogdan

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2024, 07:49:15 PM »
@Michael
I have seen the review of that speaker at Audio Science Review (which I trust 100%) and in my opinion this speaker is not only among the best 5.25" studio monitors: it is the best we can get!

But it has it's price (1650€/pair)... which an average keyboard owner can hardly justify. And so I think that there are comparable solutions (two monitors + subwoofer) for a half of that price.
Yeah, I'm among those who can't afford it -still, compliments for your decission  :)

Bogdan

Thanks for the link to that review. It’s always nice to have my judgment confirmed.

My wife and I are both in our 70s and are fortunate (well, sort of) that our years are very likely to run out before our money. So I am now in a position to buy things that would have been unthinkable in earlier years.

Which reminds me of this quote that amuses me even though I don’t actually live that way:

“LIfe's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy s***, what a ride!” -- Hunter S Thompson
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2024, 08:10:21 PM »
hi Michael,
I agree with your attitude.. it's all about enjoying the things we can afford  :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2024, 03:10:18 PM »
Yes Michael, you earned it, now enjoy it.
A financial advisor told me this story about an elderly client who was very wealthy that boasted to him that he never wasted money … drove an 8 year old Ford, refused to pay for first class travel. And the financial advisor said, you know what you’re doing… you’re sitting in the back of the plane so your family can sit in the front when you are gone, you are driving an 8 year old Ford so your son can buy a Ferrari when you are gone….. The client went silent, and within a week called to say he had just bought a new Merc, and booked a round the world trip for him and his wife, first class all the way.
There is a wide spread of financial capabilities and everyone is an individual, but there is no question that the ‘luxury’ spending money more and more resides in older generations. That is why these questions about ‘who will buy these arrangers when we are gone’ which pop up every so often are so silly. The market amongst older people is growing and very, very lucrative.
I just got back a couple of days ago from a cruise around South America, top end, superb service, cabin bigger than my first house….. and I could have counted guests under 60 on one hand. And under 70 on two!
Power to the oldies  ;D ;D

Mike

Offline mamero

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2024, 06:34:01 PM »
What about the consumer electronics offerings from Yamaha if you are just playing at home? It's likely there is some crossover in components and technology between the consumer and pro audio divisions. Yamaha's consumer side seems to be less expensive than the pro audio side (except for the really hi end stuff). Thoughts? Anything workable from that angle?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/index.html

Offline mamero

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2024, 06:47:24 PM »
Does the Genos 2 transmit audio over Bluetooth?

Online RONBO

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2024, 06:57:56 PM »
Does the Genos 2 transmit audio over Bluetooth?

I think not.  Just receives
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2024, 07:58:17 PM »
@mamero
The Yamaha link you gave is meant for home theater and hi-fi systems which is not really suitable for musicians... and there's no crossover (similarity) between these two and musicians audio equipment. Of course you can attach keyboard on some home theater system, but in most cases that's not practical.

Yamaha products that a keyboard owner might be interested on are mainly studio monitors, PA systems and maybe some small mixer (i.e. if you wish to attach additional instrument).

Bogdan