Author Topic: If you're considering buying a Korg Pa5X...  (Read 33808 times)

Offline ton37

Re: If you're considering buying a Korg Pa5X...
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2022, 07:15:49 AM »
Ton, I think you meant that it keeps appearing under the Genos section. I believe they use that simply because it seems the most appropriate in this case. I think that is ok.
 But I don’t think that is the problem some find objectionable. So to be clear,  this website is focused on providing information to Yamaha arranger owners. The forum is is a fairly open discussion section, for people with similar interests, ie arrangers, particularly Yamaha arrangers.
I am a moderator on this forum but have no association with Yamaha, and to my knowledge, neither are any other moderators, or indeed the site owner. We have posting guidelines but they are mainly concerned with maintaining respectful discussion, while staying clear of contentious areas like politics, etc. There is no guideline which limits informed or interesting discussion of other arranger brands.
Mike
Thanks for explaining this clearly, Mike. So keep going, dear forum members. I find the discussion about the Pa5x (sometimes in relation to the current Genos) interesting, especially when it comes to innovations that can take the keyboard player (technically and practically) to a higher level. If Yamaha is watching, they can learn something from it and use it in the new Genos. In fact, the content of these discussions has come to resemble some sort of wish list, in addition to the already existing wish list on this forum. In retrospect it will become clear how much we were wrong  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2022, 08:08:15 AM »

I hope Yamaha are giving a small tip of their new high end arranger keyboard's plans soon.
There is no time to lose, IMO.

Best regards, JH

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »

I hope Yamaha are giving a small tip of their new high end arranger keyboard's plans soon.
There is no time to lose, IMO.

Yamaha needs some time to examine the PA5X thoroughly, so that they sort out what is worth carrying forward in a Geno's successor.  ;)
We just have to wait and see, patience is a virtue they say.  ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
Hi Gunnar :

Thank you for your reply. :)

It is hard to believe for me a company like Yamaha needs to examine the PA5X's new features first before they come up with a new arranger. 8)

As of the year 2002 up to now Yamaha have been #1 Arranger Keyboard's World Leader.
I strongly believe they want to keep that position for many years to come.

For many years almost all musicians want(ed) to have a Yamaha, right ?

Their SFF2 styles are so famous and unique.
They have such a rich styles collection no other manufacturer can offer.

I would not be surprised their new high end baby will be unique ( again ! ).
Their customers' messages are well understood, I guess. 

Some fast and good news from Yamaha would be very welcome though !

Best regards, JH

Offline EileenL

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
I don't for one minute think that Yamaha need to look for idea's from what is on the new Korg
  There is a Yamaha site that invites idea's of what people would like to see and many members on here are posting exactly what they post here on there so you can't say that Yamaha are not seeing these.

Offline Del B

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2022, 03:47:58 PM »

It is hard to believe for me a company like Yamaha needs to examine the PA5X's new features first before they come up with a new arranger.

well it’s not that hard really most companies look at their competitors, no matter what the product, if you think Sainsbury, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons don’t  look at what each other are doing  why do they have Tv advert’s stating the best prices and products and comparing?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 03:53:22 PM by Del B »

Offline mikf

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2022, 04:29:23 PM »
Of course they will look at the PaX5. I have a lot of development experience and have no doubt that the Korg product would be a primary talking point inside Yamaha since the day it appeared. They will be looking at everything…..the customer reaction, the appearance, the key action, the build quality, pricing strategy, and all the functional changes. It would be normal. And my guess is they are probably quite impressed by what they see. Worried - probably not, but definitely paying attention.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2022, 05:15:34 PM »
Hey Del B :

All companies are comparing competitors ' pricing and finished product spec's.

Korg and Yamaha are not an exception. I agree. Both need advertising, promotion and distribution to market their products.

Both companies know each other very well. See their present/historical interrelationship.
They have almost the same (export) customers, IMO.

However, I have no idea how their local Japanese distribution, marketing and sales are organized. 

But as far as research, innovation and development of new products are concerned, I believe Yamaha, being the Arranger Keyboard World Leader, do not need any direct competitive help to find out what endusers want.

Best regards, JH

Offline Del B

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2022, 08:31:11 PM »
Of course they will look at the PaX5. I have a lot of development experience and have no doubt that the Korg product would be a primary talking point inside Yamaha since the day it appeared. They will be looking at everything…..the customer reaction, the appearance, the key action, the build quality, pricing strategy, and all the functional changes. It would be normal. And my guess is they are probably quite impressed by what they see. Worried - probably not, but definitely paying attention.
Mike

Absolutely Mike I agree and it would not surprise me if Yamaha had a few PaX5 in their factory stripped down  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:34:03 PM by Del B »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2022, 09:15:27 AM »
Of course Companies will buy competitors' products from one of their own retailers .
I know this because being involved with Speaker manufacture, we did just that to be able to study every product from our competitors.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 10:19:25 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »
Agree Graham. Dismissing competitors products as not worth considering is the kind of arrogant thinking that starts technology leaders down the slippery slope. Top companies like Yamaha do not make this mistake.
 I spent more than 25 years responsible for driving multi million dollar development investment decisions, and knowledge of what competitors were doing was always a huge part of the final decision making, and often the biggest single factor in getting board approval for a big development investment.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2022, 06:11:19 PM »
Hi Bill,

There have been several threads about the 5X. I think the main theme is, "The 5X has 'this or that' and we hope the new Genos has those things as well." You're 100% right in that the 5X has some very much needed upgrades in any arranger. You'll find that 99% of us are still in favor of the Genos but also respect the new features Korg has brought to the table and are anxious to see Yamaha's response.

You can go down to the pub and get a nice pint of 5X ;D
I imagine that what Yamaha would also say!! ::) :P :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 06:14:33 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2022, 12:05:55 PM »
The Japanese are notorious for reverse engineering a competitor's product, finding out what they did right and wrong, fixing it, seeking existing customer wants, and then producing a superior product.

I had a friend who owned a music store back in the 70s and 80s. He was a huge Yamaha dealer. Yamaha invited him to the plant in Japan to receive a sales award and a factory tour. There was one very large room that he accidently wandered into. It was filled with every dual manual organ produced by every company back to the 50s. The organs were all taken apart so that the Yamaha folks could see what worked and what needed improvement. I owned a few Yamaha dual manual organs before going the Arranger route. They sounded great, had very innovative features, and were at a decent price point.

Yes, you can rest assured Yamaha has their eyeballs on the 5X and will have improved on it in the G2. They'll also analyze the things we want  and incorporate many of those ideas.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 12:07:20 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
Yes Lee you are right there. We all know they will cater to there Yamaha players to the best of there ability. Some idea's from users will find there way into a new flag ship but only sensible and possible one's. I know some will say oh they could do this and do that and it will only cost a couple of pounds but they don't live in the real world.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2022, 12:46:37 PM »
Hi Lee :

Thank you for sharing this very interesting experience of your friend at Yamaha Japan. :)
As far as new software is concerned Yamaha will find allround support from their 100% owned ( since 2002 ) company Steinberg ( Cubase e.g. ) / Germany.
The Genos2 will surely bring all what customers are expecting today.  ;)

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:00:03 PM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2022, 02:24:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Eileen. One thing is certain - Yamaha has never disappointed its clients through new releases. Some of the new models only had medium upgrades. For example, in the later Tyros keyboards, there wasn't a gigantic leap, which is how I think the Genos was conceived. Yamaha said they needed "something ground-breaking." They gave us just that in the Genos. They will do the same in G2, now that there's a decent player out there called the PA5X.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2022, 02:49:16 PM »
You are welcome, Lee !
The competitor launched a nice arranger keyboard. I agree.
BUT ...
Yamaha will introduce a Genos' successor that will be uniqe and
impress the entire Arranger Keyboard World like in 2002 when their
Tyros1 landed on Earth. :)

Kind regards, JH

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:01:49 PM by Jeff Hollande »

tyrosman

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2022, 03:04:45 PM »
Well I suppose posting a competitors details on a Yamaha site is asking for the answers some are giving. If we are that interested then surly we would look at the Korg forum or go onto you tube for information. Indeed some members may own both keyboards and are happy with both and good luck to them. Most of us here are quite happy with our Yamaha keyboards and that is why we visit this forum to help one another with how to get the best out of them.
  I have nothing against Korg except the very poor treatment I got from the service department when I had mine. Can never say that about Yamaha they are tip top in this.
here here Eileen well said

Offline AndyB

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2023, 01:46:53 AM »
The Genos Tenor Sax and Alto are as near as you can get with the real thing.
The Articulations are fantastic. 8)
Yes there are poor clarinet type ones but the Genos has the best.
Even the Technics KN 2000 had really good warm sax sounds. Second to none pre 2000.
My hearing is good  for  71 year old and can easliy tell the difference in quality of sounds
It is only VST instruments that can out class Genos sound.
THe PAX5 is nowhere near the class of the Genos.
It's like comparing the Genos to a  Rolf Harris Styleophone ;D ;D ;D
Why have a mini when you can have a Rolls Royce. ;) ;) ;D
Why have a beefburger when you can have steak 8) 8)
 I suppose some would prefer "Sausages" !!! ::) ::) ::)

Think you must be deaf, the PA5x wipes the floor with the Genos, as soon as I can trade in my Tyros 5 then it won't be another plastic keyboard from Yamaha that never gets updates (Tyros 5 never got any updates even with its issues) but a Korg PA5x. Tried one and very impressed.

Look on YouTube for videos by Alois muller, he plays PA5x and Genos.
Technics KN650, Technics KN7000, Tyros 4 SE, Tyros 5

tyrosman

« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2023, 06:25:33 PM »

Think you must be deaf, the PA5x wipes the floor with the Genos, as soon as I can trade in my Tyros 5 then it won't be another plastic keyboard from Yamaha that never gets updates (Tyros 5 never got any updates even with its issues) but a Korg PA5x. Tried one and very impressed.

Look on YouTube for videos by Alois muller, he plays PA5x and Genos.
you must be the one that is Deaf the Sax in Genos blowes Korg away by miles and Tyros 5 Had every update

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2023, 07:13:37 PM »
True the T5 didn't really get any updates; the Genos has had several remarkable ones (the PA4x had a pretty good update too). As for wipes the floor, I think you need to try it first. The Sax articulation in PA5x doesn't automatically switch from mono to polyphonic mode, meaning you have to *very* carefully let go of the original note at the exact right time when doing a gliss, etc.

On the other hand, I am well and truly impressed with the PA5x's piano sound, build quality, and keybed. But not being able to chain registrations is a bit of a deal breaker for me. But there are some really nice things about it. I'd say the drums are even a bit better, the (non pipe) organs are phenomenal too. But Articulations just don't work as hassle free.

Maybe with an update?

Mark

Offline andyg

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »
Regarding some previous comments: Having 'been there, done it and quite literally got the t-shirt', I can say that even back in my days in R&D, there would be competitors' products in the factory. Go back far enough and they could simply copy the circuitry. Then along came custom components that would have to be reverse engineered - if possible.

But if a feature wasn't patented, R&D would try to find a way of recreating it - or a way of getting around the patent! Lowrey's AOC feature being a great example. All the companies knew how to make it work, and how to improve on it, but the patents were watertight. As soon as they expired, every company very quickly put their version of AOC onto organs and keyboards.

So yes, I've no doubt that Yamaha had a PA5X in the lab very quickly, and their staff and their dealers would be thinking about what features, sounds, styles and effects might work well on a new model.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline mikf

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2023, 11:20:49 PM »
Come on guys, there is no better or best here. There is just subjective preference. We don’t need insults and statements of absolutes, when there is no absolute. It’s fair to say “I much prefer the Korg” but not to say “you must be deaf if you can’t hear that the Korg is miles better”
Mike

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, Gunnar Jonny, tyrosrick, Tommy 73, colas musique

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2023, 08:32:21 AM »
Interesting comparison but their is room for both.
The Korg is an unfinished diamond at the moment, but with the new Instructional videos of Qui Robinez who has unlocked some features that show the potential of the keyboard.
I will reiterate previous comments the pianos are great especially layered, the strings are the best ive heard acoustic guitars are in line with Yamaha, electric,  sax, clarinet, violins, Yamaha have a mellower richer sound. Drums are almost live and are easily fully programmable.
if korg fix the glitches it would in my opinion be the clear winner, but with a new arranger that must be on the horizon, using the technology of the korg and others, Yamaha may conclusively put the debate to rest due to their deep pockets.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2023, 09:16:15 AM »
The Korg is an unfinished diamond at the moment, but with the new Instructional videos of Qui Robinez who has unlocked some features that show the potential of the keyboard.
if korg fix the glitches it would in my opinion be the clear winner, but with a new arranger that must be on the horizon, using the technology of the korg and others, Yamaha may conclusively put the debate to rest due to their deep pockets.

IMHO it is too early to compare apples and oranges ( yet ).
In November 2023 I expect a first Genos' successor demo will take place in the UK by Martin Harris and Peter Baartmans. Delivery : early 2024 ?
Then final comparisons can start, I guess.

Best regards, JH

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2023, 02:18:06 PM »
Meanwhile, I am enjoying the PSR-SX900 with almost all the features of the Genos at less than half the price! It is a wonderful machine.

Uday
 :)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2023, 02:51:09 PM »
Hey Uday :

I agree the SX900 is a very good, reliable arranger.
However, it is not a Genos though.🤪

JH

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2023, 04:12:12 PM »
Like I said, Jeff, "Meanwhile", i.e while waiting for a Genos!

Uday

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2023, 10:05:54 PM »

On the other hand, I am well and truly impressed with the PA5x's piano sound, build quality, and keybed. But not being able to chain registrations is a bit of a deal breaker for me. But there are some really nice things about it. I'd say the drums are even a bit better, the (non pipe) organs are phenomenal too. But Articulations just don't work as hassle free.

Maybe with an update?

Mark
Hi Mark , I like the piano sounds on my PA5x also, but being a bit of a piano nut
who loves the sound of  Yamaha piano , I splurged and bought myself the
Wavesart  CFX 9ft Concert Grand  sample library. wow.  For solo playing, it is beautiful.
Normally don’t buy samples, but it was worth it.

That is where Yamaha does shine, with the registrations and being able to chain them. I suppose the closest thing Korg has got to it is the Songbook, but you can’t chain them. My PA5x/SX900 setup wouldn’t work without the registration sequencer.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2023, 08:35:31 AM »
That is where Yamaha does shine, with the registrations and being able to chain them.
With smooth sound switch feature, it would even be better ....

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »
FYI - for those interested in the synth sounds of the PA5X.

Another great demo from QR showcasing the magnificent synth sounds of the PA5X.

https://youtu.be/EPOaP0ZibWk

Uday

The following users thanked this post: Danny1972

Offline bluali

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2023, 03:02:11 PM »
Updated List of New Bugs Found on PA5X

▫️ For musicians that use lower such as strings, almost 100% of us do, you cannot turn of the pitch bender for the lower. It will bend with your sound on uppers. This function does not work.
▫️ .......

Mike

I have both Korg Pa5x and Genos and I agree with most of these comments. I am still waiting for update for my Korg PA5x because this keyboard has some good features that Genos does not have . but currently it is useless for me.

Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000

Offline overover

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2023, 05:44:23 PM »
I have both Korg Pa5x and Genos and I agree with most of these comments. I am still waiting for update for my Korg PA5x because this keyboard has some good features that Genos does not have . but currently it is useless for me.

Hi bluali,

I haven't followed the discussions here in detail regarding the pros/cons of the Korg Pa5X and Ketron Event versus the Genos. Why is your Pa5X "useless" to you with the current software version?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 05:46:47 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2023, 06:24:55 PM »
FYI - for those interested in the synth sounds of the PA5X.

Another great demo from QR showcasing the magnificent synth sounds of the PA5X.

https://youtu.be/EPOaP0ZibWk

Uday

Wow, thank you for this, it does sound incredible. I need to explore those sounds a bit more for myself. Thanks for sharing this :)

Online robinez

« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2023, 07:56:25 PM »
Wow, thank you for this, it does sound incredible. I need to explore those sounds a bit more for myself. Thanks for sharing this :)
Thanks Uday for mentioning my video. I didn't post it over here because I was under the impression that a lot of people here are hating it when you talk about the features from a pa5x, so I would post mainly things over here about my yamaha genos. But there are a lot more pa5x videos now on my channel.

@danny1972, I can definitely advice to check the sound section of the pa5x and create your own new keyboard sets with them, there are so many new high quality sounds that you can combine to unique layered sounds that you can create really unique keyboard sets this way. Also every sound can be modified in an easy way with the macro edit mode (which is also directly available in a style so you can store it in a song registration). I've explained that macro edit mode starting at 15:00 minutes in the video.

The sound system is a big difference compared to the yamaha genos, there you also have some very basic editing features, but in the korg pax series you have a complete synthesizer on board that you can program. And you don't need an external program like YEM, you can do it all on the keyboard itself.

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2023, 01:16:50 AM »
Thanks Uday for mentioning my video. I didn't post it over here because I was under the impression that a lot of people here are hating it when you talk about the features from a pa5x, so I would post mainly things over here .

Hi Qui

The Yamaha crowd on the whole ,seem to be far more forgiving  than the Korg crowd.
They don’t appear to be as forgiving about mentioning other brands.

I liked  this  one, song specific styles from midi files.
https://youtu.be/SURtgtsGT68

And the one on modifying styles
https://youtu.be/OCgm9t-tNxA
Some of this info I would tend to think would also apply to Yamaha. Might need to be done differently, but still a possibility?
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »

The Yamaha crowd on the whole ,seem to be far more forgiving  than the Korg crowd.
They don’t appear to be as forgiving about mentioning other brands.

Hi Rikki :

It is hard to understand for me why people do argue about which arranger they are playing. :-* 
We all have a certain preference and that should be respected.
I think it might be very useful to know much about the competition's pros and cons, the weaknesses and the strengths.

Personally, for more than 25 years now, I am a Yamaha arranger customer.
There is no reason for me to buy another brand nor to upgrade.
My good old Tyros4 might be old but ... so am I.  ;)

All the best, JH

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2023, 12:06:28 PM »
Hi Jeff, yes , does make one wonder. I think it’s good to know what features / functions the different brands of arrangers have. One can make an informed choice ie do I stay with the  brand I’m familiar with or does the other brand have functions that are better suited.
Or in your case, it does everything you want , so why bother changing😁.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline EileenL

« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
Well many years ago Korg shared the same factory at Milton Keynes here in the UK.
  Now it is just Yamaha. I have been there quite a few times Have met many of the Yamaha teams over the years and they are the nicest people you would ever wish to meet.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2023, 11:40:35 PM »
I see that the E-piano site here in UK is  predicting whether or not The Genos 2 is a possibility.
They say they are keeping their ear to the ground, but hear no whispers yet or whoever they question is tight lipped.
They are say it could be a possibility for Christmas this year, but that means October really as it takes time to get orders in for Christmas as people spend that time of year.
it is just the line on their site that says ----

My Advice To You:

Therefore, my fellow Genos people, my advice to you is to spend lightly on your summer holidays, for the autumn might well bring you something you’ll want in your Christmas stocking.

I SAY NO SMOKE WITHOUT A FIRE!!! :)

The korg is not my cup 'o' tea :P
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:27:16 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2023, 01:53:29 AM »
Well many years ago Korg shared the same factory at Milton Keynes here in the UK.
  Now it is just Yamaha. I have been there quite a few times Have met many of the Yamaha teams over the years and they are the nicest people you would ever wish to meet.

Hi Eileen,

Is this the same location as the Yamaha Kemble shop ? It was so long ago but it was where I purchased the PSR 8000, which was my first ever TOTL keyboard, memory is quite fuzzy but I think it was a store but I don’t know if the store still exists. I just remember having a great afternoon there and couldn’t wait to experience the 8000, the car ride home felt like it never ended lol !

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2023, 06:46:06 AM »
I SAY NO SMOKE WITHOUT A FIRE!!! :)

Hi John :

Do not worry ... you will be one of the first owners of the Genos' successor. A nice 2023 X-Mas present, I guess.  ;)
Unless ... Eileen already pre-ordered one. ;) ;) ;)

JH
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 07:29:18 AM by Jeff Hollande »

tyrosman

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2023, 07:42:27 AM »
People who own both the Genos & Pa5X (like myself) are feeling great (who wouldn't?) and don't have any feelings hurt 8)
People who invoke "hurt feelings" and "have an adult conversation" have usually run out of any credible arguments to offer in a debate, so I understand if you support the "Genos Good, Korg Bad" mantra!

:D hi Mark i have subscribed to your you on u tube what style did you use on castle on the hill :)

Uday

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
Hi Guys :

Some members of this forum own both high end arrangers : the Genos and the PA5X.
What is the advantage for the player/user ?

Best wishes, JH

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2023, 09:27:37 AM »
Hi Jeff

Do you mean Ambassador Eileen, lol ;D

How can the Pax 5 be great if you cannot record straight into it's sequencer and change registrations to create a midi file.
For me i like to play the whole song so as to get that human feel and then do edits to tighten up.
I do know that evrything on the Pax is called something different, but hope everyone knows what i mean.
Like Lee says , the next Genos to work flawlessly with Cubase is a must and what i find really annoying is the flack that is left behind in a style. In Cubase you can see that note partials are all over the place and to have a clean style Cubase can do it, but it is time consuming and boring, it does make a **** of a difference to the ears.
In Cubase you do have a note delete. Have you noticed that you can hear notes in a style garble or glitch sometimes. In Functions you have a delete option where you choose the length and delete all en block, but still needs attention even after quantizing as gaps can appear.
It is all about the player hitting a fill or changing a registration a millisecond too late.
One day we all will be artificial Intelligence players when we all get chipped at birth ::) ;D  "Exterminate"!! ;D :D
I find the now Genos does work great with Cubase, but certain things on the Genos could be better like seamless switching between registrations, fills and sounds,  but you have to make everything the same volume level in registrations to get smoother transitions.
It does get tricky when you have to time a fill just right or you get nothing or a little glltch. I would also love a way of making styles easier.
I have noticed sometimes after playing a few songs that when you change to another song registration it does not set up and stays the same as the last. I just switch machine off and on again and it rights's itself.
Apart from that more space for your own samples and I would like a Silver Machine next as it would not show all the dust after 10 seconds of cleaning it. If it can go sideways through time , i would definitely would be interested
Terrible for someone who has Psoriasis ;D ::). "Out with the E45 or Farmology cream!" The pleasures of being an old flakey like me. :P.
it is not bad thankfully, but i have to clean my arm rest regularly on exec chair as i got it on my elbow ;D
If anyone has a miracle cure for it ,i want to be the first one to know.
All the Best
John

May be of Interest --

https://www.epianos.co.uk/heres-my-best-guess-when-a-yamaha-genos-2-will-be-launched/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 09:41:37 AM by ugawoga »

Offline mikf

« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2023, 10:40:28 AM »
John, your use of the Genos is not mainstream. What percentage of the people buying an arranger care about studio level recording and complicated mixing /editing tools like Cubase - less than 5%.?? So why would Yamaha have that on their priorities?
I think we are seeing the Yamaha direction for arranger technology rolled out already in instruments like the CVP and the DGX. Or in very low cost instruments, which are both impulse buys and suitably priced for Asian markets. Not just my guess, Yamaha state this very clearly in their annual report.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
Hi John :

IMHO the arranger is not comparable to any other music instrument. One exception maybe : the synthesizer.
All other " traditional music instruments " like a piano, an organ, a guitar, a violin, drums etc. are, what I would call " real and natural " music instruments " where the input ( 95% ) of the musician is the most important factor.

In my perception the arranger is a stronly computer related " music device ".
The use and influence of software might be much more important than the personal knowledge and skills of the musician.
Maybe in the near future we do not longer need musicians to play an arranger ... only knobs and switches.

Personally I like the arranger very much to create backing tracks without the help of other people. I can do it on my own. :D
The use of styles is easy, the sound quality is great, the applications and possibilities are limitless and last but not least ...
the arranger is a superb toy for an old man like me.  :D

Best wishes, JH

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 11:19:33 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Online robinez

« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2023, 11:47:16 AM »
Hi Guys :

Some members of this forum own both high end arrangers : the Genos and the PA5X.
What is the advantage for the player/user ?

Best wishes, JH
I own the pa5x and the yamaha genos, and you raise a fair question.

My opinion is that for 99 percent of the musicians one keyboard is more then enough, you don't need them both.

For me I want to have both, but i'm not an ordinary keyboard player, I have a lot of synths / workstations and other gear in my studio and for me the korg Keyboard series gives me that freedom of playing like you play with a band. The yamaha can't do it the way Korg can. That also means that the korg is a lot more difficult to learn and operate, but if you are looking for a keyboard which is more like a blend between a synthesizer / keyboard then korg is the way to go. You can do a lot on the korg that the yamaha simply isn't capable of, but to be honest, this applies more to the synthesis / programming side then the arranger side.

The yamaha genos is MUCH stronger in the area of the standard way of keyboard playing (playing covers with left hand chords and right hand melody), the Genos has much better song based styles, much more features for playing covers (the registrations method on a genos is absolutely fantastic). A better implementation of the multipads if you just want to assign them to wav files, and much easier to learn how to operate it.

So that's why I have them both. Whenever I just want to play covers then most of the time I use the Yamaha Genos. But as soon as I want to Jam with a band with full control over what that band does and how it sounds, then I use the Korg Pa5x (and previously I used the Pa4x).

So it's not a matter of which keyboard is better then the other, it's a matter of preference for what you look for in a keyboard. Personally I think that most people will like the Yamaha Genos more because most people are playing covers of famous song and the Yamaha keyboards do provide that, the korg doesn't have much song styles, although the Pa5x now has a section with famous song styles, but not as many as on the yamaha genos.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 12:02:05 PM by robinez »

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2023, 12:28:28 PM »
John, your use of the Genos is not mainstream. What percentage of the people buying an arranger care about studio level recording and complicated mixing /editing tools like Cubase - less than 5%.?? So why would Yamaha have that on their priorities?
I think we are seeing the Yamaha direction for arranger technology rolled out already in instruments like the CVP and the DGX. Or in very low cost instruments, which are both impulse buys and suitably priced for Asian markets. Not just my guess, Yamaha state this very clearly in their annual report.
Mike
From Mike's post, "So why would Yamaha have that on their priorities?" Fair question. And Mike is right - probably 5% or less want to record the Genos into Cubase. I submit that if he's right, then Yamaha needs to modify their manual and promo materials by removing the "Recording into a DAW section" or at least provide a disclaimer like, "Should you be crazy enough to try recording the Genos onto a DAW, keep a healthy dose of pills or alcohol by your side because you'll be ready to kill somebody after about 30 minutes of trying and falling through all the trap doors."

My take-away from this is if Yamaha says it can be done, then it either:

1) Make it easy for those who want to.
2) Caution people that while its possible, you will likely go insane trying unless you're a Yamaha engineer.
3) Mention that you can do it but don't waste your time. It was a dumb idea to even suggest it. Buy a Montage instead.

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2023, 12:32:06 PM »
Hello Robinez  :

I am following often your activities on YouTube.
You are a great player and very familiar with both high end arrangers.
Thank you for your interesting reply and very useful and wise comments.

Best wishes,

JH
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 12:36:30 PM by Jeff Hollande »