Author Topic: If you're considering buying a Korg Pa5X...  (Read 33794 times)

Offline Danny1972

Re: If you're considering buying a Korg Pa5X...
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2023, 02:19:05 PM »
At 1:39 they talk about the DUAL sequencer that can play TWO styles at once
how many people would use this and what for?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2InFUgORHEo&t=383s

Hello Donny, absolutely great you mentioned this as its a feature I do use occasionally & the results are superb. It's great for mixing a Pop style with Latins, or Ballads with Dance it really works very well. You do have to experiment a bit as you can't just pick any old style and smash them together, it's really more suitable if you find songs that you can play to more than one type of musical style, then it really shines switching between both. Great feature indeed.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #151 on: May 23, 2023, 02:27:23 PM »
Danny if I never played either the Genos or Pa5x I'd have to lean to the Korg just for the extensive professional features it has onboard which are certainly amazing ....... however, would I really use most of them in my playing?...That said Sound wise & style availability, support etc, I still to my ears enjoy playing a Genos. If Yamaha ever decides to release a Genos 2 & added a TILT Up Display, updated the Setlist features to List all formats openly sty,mid,mp3,wav, to just scroll thru without all the extra button pushes (eg: Korg Songbook) and TC Helicon Vocal harmony for much better tracking (I am a singer/player also) I would personally go with the Genos to satisfy my needs as an arranger player singer.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:53:11 PM by Dnj »

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #152 on: May 23, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »
Danny if I never played either the Genos or Pa5x I'd have to lean to the Korg just for the extensive professional features it has onboard which are certainly amazing ....... however, would I really use most of them in my playing?...That said Sound wise & style availability, support etc, I still to my ears enjoy playing a Genos. If Yamaha ever decides to release a Genos 2 & added a TILT Up Display, update the Setlist features to List all formats openly sty,mid,mp3,wav, to just scroll thru without all the extra button pushes and TC Helicon vocal harmony (I am a singer/player also) I would personally go with the Genos to satisfy my needs as an arranger player.

Yes absolutely, first and foremost the keyboard you choose and use should primarily be the one that suits your needs the most in all areas, playing style, like how it sounds, that it covers what you need in the areas that matters to you the most. I think the minute you have a board where it only partially satisfies your needs and then having to compromise for the rest I think eventually start to look elsewhere again. Even if a person owns more than 1 keyboard to think it would cover the best of both worlds may help but it becomes more tedious and complex, perhaps more so for professionals like yourself where you want everything you need in once place, less to carry and set up. Some of my friends who gig take multiple keyboards with them.

Certainly in the example you gave of the dual style feature, it's certainly isn't a necessity but more of a nice to have and adds a bit of colour & dimension to style playing but in by no way is it necessary. Features are great but I think the one that suits you the best is the main thing to look for and the Genos certainly covers all and more.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:57:13 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #153 on: May 23, 2023, 10:06:56 PM »
At 2;00 in the video they talk about the DUAL sequencer that can play TWO styles at once
how many people would use this and what for ?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2InFUgORHEo&t=383s

I am one of them Dnj 😁
When you have the possibility to sync the styles with those two players and can make something like DJ's do, by mixing songs, why not? Of course, you must choose the next song carrefully to be possible to do the mix, but I tell you that this can be done, and THAT is the purpose, for mixing songs, to switch between them without stopping the playing and without feel the switch from one style to another.
I make almost all my style using the same drum kit, bass voice, guitar strumms voice, and so on. Why? It is simple: A band uses multiple drum kits when they are in a gig? uses multiple bass guitars when they sings? No! Yes, indeed, for guitars some effects could be changed, but in fact, when I choose the order of the songs in my gig I choose the songs that fit the same sound. Maybe in a playlist I use a set of songs using one drum kit and bass and guitars, and in the next playlist I use another drumkit, bass, guitars, and whatever other instruments... That's the way I play, and I tell you the sound is great, like in a band, and that likes to our audience.

This is my humble opinion, of course music is different in each country and may not fit at all how I work on these keyboards.

As a mention:
Peter Baartmans is one of the greatest demonstrator for Yamaha, there is nothing bad to tell about its performance, nothing!!! But in my country he had two demos, one for Tyros 5 and one for Genos. The feeling was not so great as I saw in other countries, because he played as you all know, with guitars, with pianos, with some movies songs, a lot of organs, but nothing to fit to our music, our styles and needs. For example in my country there is NO use of organs in our songs! We don't play organs! Maybe on catholic churches, but only there. So the demo for the organs was in vain for us. That's it! It is not an instrument that fit for my country, like Indian music does not fit in deutch countries, or japanese instruments in Europe's music!
What I want to tell is that these keyboards are NOT made for a single genre, or for some countries only. They must fit the needs for everyone. So they must implement a lot of things that can help most of the people who use them. Why Yamaha didn't call Genos like "GenosUK", or "Genos DE" or "Genos USA"? The instrument is UNIVERSAL, can be used in multiple countries, and IMHO MUST fit the needs for all the world who use it! The problem is that when we know that they can do it and they don't want to!

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny, Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline Dnj

« Reply #154 on: May 23, 2023, 10:34:49 PM »
Vali,.....understood,
...great reply. and different countries music is definitely a concern that has to be addressed.
I can see the use of the Dual player as you mentioned.
Thank you for sharing your needs I learned something today.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #155 on: May 23, 2023, 10:37:36 PM »
Danny a very good reply and another thing to consider is thing to consider when buying is that your paying for features that you may NEVER use also. However, with only a few choices out there what is a player to do?

« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2023, 06:55:26 AM »
Hi Donny, I find it a great way to come up with new styles and fix up some of the styles from earlier models that one may need.
Basically load old style into player 1, load a similar type of factory style into player 2. Turn on sync.
Mute the track you want to replace in old style player 1, ( just say drums) mute all tracks in player 2 except for drum track, press shift play, both styles will start playing , you can hear how drum track sounds with old style, if not suitable, while it’s still playing , pick another style and another till I find what I want.
I take note of the style tracks that work,  do a quick copy /paste ( style assembly on psr) .
Old style ,has new life.

Or I can do the same with 2 factory styles to come up with a new style.

It’s pretty amazing the endless number of styles one can come up with using the 2 style players at the same time and muting tracks on each.

You should watch   ( if you haven’t already done so) Qui’s video on song specific styles with midi files. If I’m not mistaken you may have used the occasional midi file when you used to perform and sing ? I remember a couple of the old standards you posted , could not have been a keyboard style  on its own, sounded too lush and full, you must have added additional tracks.

It’s got me digging out some of my old midi files.

https://youtu.be/SURtgtsGT68
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Dnj

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #157 on: May 24, 2023, 11:13:58 AM »
another thing to consider is thing to consider when buying is that your paying for features that you may NEVER use also. However, with only a few choices out there what is a player to do?

If you are buying the latest model you cannot help or control what features are included, it will be part of the keyboard and nothing we can do about it. So for example, say you really like the sound of the Pa5x and wanted to purchase it, but you didn't want half the stuff on it, it won't be possible to just remove the things you don't want and that will go for all the newer arrangers or any instruments now.

The only other answer then is to look to previous models and look for the one that you enjoyed most in the past, there will always be a favourite. For example, the boards I used the longest previously in the past were the PSR8000, Pa80, Pa1x, Tyros3 then Tyros4 in that order, those were what I classed as my main boards and with each change came more and more features that I didn't use, for example, I am not a singer so I never used the VH on any of the boards even now. I do feel like it's a bit of a waste but I can think of it this way, that it's a) something that comes with the board by default, regardless, and b) it's there should I ever decide to use it, 3) more features makes a good selling point if you wanted to get rid if it

Unfortunately it's not like a PC where you hand in the spec you want and they built it for you based around that spec. Would be nice if it could be possible.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 01:08:25 PM by Danny1972 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
I think Yamaha has gone a long way in trying to make there keyboards usable for most. We all know it would be impossible to bring out a different keyboard for different Countries so the free packs now go a long way into helping with this problem.

The following users thanked this post: Dnj

Offline Dnj

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2023, 01:11:23 PM »
Rikki as always thank you for your very informative reply & link to a detailed instruction using the Pa5x's powerful features. It's amazing and so creative as to what this unit can do in so many ways. That said I try to mix it up using Styles & sometimes Midi files also in a project song to get the desired result. After all your paying for these things why not learn & use them too. Your explanation of using the DUAL Player makes sense I appreciate your ideas. 8)

« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2023, 08:15:11 AM »
I think Yamaha has gone a long way in trying to make there keyboards usable for most. We all know it would be impossible to bring out a different keyboard for different Countries so the free packs now go a long way into helping with this problem.
Respecting your point, allow me to disagree. And I will disagree for three main reasons:

1) The possibilities do not cost but it is a matter of the will of the company, and this was shown by OS Version 2.0 of Genos, where suddenly Yamaha increased the RAM from 1.7 giga to 3 giga. And I wonder: What is easier? Increase Ram or add features like different time signature with each variation, different tempo speed with each different variation, ability to create Major Min in Intro & Ending, onboard sample editing capabilities, User Articulation capabilities, extensive Sound Editing capabilities and more. These cost absolutely nothing (trust me, especially when we are talking about a company like Yamaha) and this is amply proven by Korg being the only one (over time) to offer literally EVERYTHING and much more (in all these features) even on a cheap and old Pa300. This is also the reason why Korg is preferred in countries like mine (Greece) as well as Turkey, and all Arab and Balkan countries.
All this may not be useful at all for many here, but there are musical cultures (like the countries I mentioned above) where they require special capabilities to be realized.
I am giving you an example to understand the complexity of what I am describing. Listen to this demo which is from the professional Greek set I created for the Korg Pa Series and has been out since 2018.
https://soundcloud.com/sokratis-1974/stankena?in=sokratis-1974/sets/paradosiaka&si=99459b65775a4b309094073d55052d06&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
So here we have a style with first time signature 13/8 and the second time signature 11/8, as well as with a different tempo speed in each variation. This could not be achieved except in Korg and recently in the Event. Previously, even Ketron did not offer all these possibilities (in models SD9, or Audya) but the company heard all these problems from users and implemented them in the Event.
Of course, this is impossible to achieve in Genos. This can only be achieved on the PSR A5000.
Will you tell me now why I don't buy the A5000? I have absolutely no reason as well as find it unacceptable to have to pay again for a new instrument for features that should be self-explanatory for a workstation (as Yamaha calls the Genos) Consequently, if you don't need them, it doesn't mean that other people don't need them either.
Also, Ketron, a very small company, managed to a huge extent to reach Korg in many possibilities recently with the Event, but again Korg holds the lead because it continues to release new instruments with particularly extensive capabilities (such as the new Pa5x) regardless of any bugs and omissions that are observed which I believe is only a matter of time to be resolved via update.
And it turns out that if Yamaha wants to it can do whatever it wants (in our case) with the relatively new Oriental Model Yamaha A5000 where the company has given users several of the features I mentioned above, and as we know both the A5000 and the PSR SX series are 100% based on the Genos engine. So, I clearly think that it is the commercial policy of the company to distribute capabilities according to the taste of marketing.

2) Both Yamaha and Korg call these models (Genos, Pa5x) as "Digital Workstations". But the truth is that only Korg has the right to say this because it is the only company that in its models (and especially the Pa5x) represents 100% the real concept of a workstation where the purpose is to carry out a 100% musical production ( or any other musical process - he saw the creation of styles with extended features that I mention above, extended sampler features and many more) without the slightest use of any third-party software which in many cases actually has to be purchased.

3) The packages you mention, let me tell you, are too poor to cover even the most basic needs of my country and many other countries. Personally, I have no problem at all as I am lucky enough to be a producer of packages and professional sets myself (at Korg). But it is completely unimaginable to me when, for example, I took Genos in my hands for the first time (in 2018) and to my great surprise I found that even an octave that someone wants to change to a sound of the style (the simplest thing), has to turn the style into a midi file, take a picture of it in a daw (Cubase, etc.) change the octave he wants through the midi sequence, re-export the midi file, convert it back to a style (.STY) import again to the instrument and alas if there was a separate major and minor version in some Intro or Ending.. We are talking about a real (headache) that requires third-party software in a really, complicated way. And I would like to ask you if you see all this (normally). Anyway, I don't see them as normal or logical either.
You will also ask me why I kept Genos and why I am still working on it? I won't hide from you that I have thought too many times to sell it, but the main reason is that I have not yet prepared the Event for my personal needs because it requires a lot of time. It took Genos two years to complete the work I wanted for my personal package, which of course we must emphasize that the above time was due to the many obstacles from the limited possibilities I mention above, which makes your life difficult and particularly demanding a lot of time and effort. I hope the company will see these at some point because if they want to it is very easy (not to say ridiculously easy) for a company (colossus) like Yamaha.
I should finally clarify that in my personal package that I have created for my needs in Genos, it does not require extensive musical needs like those I mentioned above (because I play in hotels) so I need some much simpler and not complex Greek styles as well as some international styles which I have specially created based on my taste.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:06:19 AM by Sokratis1974 »

« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Respecting your point, allow me to disagree. And I will disagree for three main reasons:

1) The possibilities do not cost but it is a matter of the will of the company, and this was shown by OS Version 2.0 of Genos, where suddenly Yamaha increased the RAM from 1.7 giga to 3 giga. And I wonder: What is easier? Increase Ram or add features like different time signature with each variation, different tempo speed with each different variation, ability to create Major Min in Intro & Ending, onboard sample editing capabilities, User Articulation capabilities, extensive Sound Editing capabilities and more. These cost absolutely nothing (trust me, especially when we are talking about a company like Yamaha) and this is amply proven by Korg being the only one (over time) to offer literally EVERYTHING and much more (in all these features) even on a cheap and old Pa300. This is also the reason why Korg is preferred in countries like mine (Greece) as well as Turkey, and all Arab and Balkan countries.
All this may not be useful at all for many here, but there are musical cultures (like the countries I mentioned above) where they require special capabilities to be realized.
I am giving you an example to understand the complexity of what I am describing. Listen to this demo which is from the professional Greek set I created for the Korg Pa Series and has been out since 2018.
https://soundcloud.com/sokratis-1974/stankena?in=sokratis-1974/sets/paradosiaka&si=99459b65775a4b309094073d55052d06&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
So here we have a style with first time signature 13/8 and the second time signature 11/8, as well as with a different tempo speed in each variation. This could not be achieved except in Korg and recently in the Event. Previously, even Ketron did not offer all these possibilities (in models SD9, or Audya) but the company heard all these problems from users and implemented them in the Event.
Of course, this is impossible to achieve in Genos. This can only be achieved on the PSR A5000.
Will you tell me now why I don't buy the A5000? I have absolutely no reason as well as find it unacceptable to have to pay again for a new instrument for features that should be self-explanatory for a workstation (as Yamaha calls the Genos) Consequently, if you don't need them, it doesn't mean that other people don't need them either.
Also, Ketron, a very small company, managed to a huge extent to reach Korg in many possibilities recently with the Event, but again Korg holds the lead because it continues to release new instruments with particularly extensive capabilities (such as the new Pa5x) regardless of any bugs and omissions that are observed which I believe is only a matter of time to be resolved via update.
And it turns out that if Yamaha wants to it can do whatever it wants (in our case) with the relatively new Oriental Model Yamaha A5000 where the company has given users several of the features I mentioned above, and as we know both the A5000 and the PSR SX series are 100% based on the Genos engine. So, I clearly think that it is the commercial policy of the company to distribute capabilities according to the taste of marketing.

2) Both Yamaha and Korg call these models (Genos, Pa5x) as "Digital Workstations". But the truth is that only Korg has the right to say this because it is the only company that in its models (and especially the Pa5x) represents 100% the real concept of a workstation where the purpose is to carry out a 100% musical production ( or any other musical process - he saw the creation of styles with extended features that I mention above, extended sampler features and many more) without the slightest use of any third-party software which in many cases actually has to be purchased.

3) The packages you mention, let me tell you, are too poor to cover even the most basic needs of my country and many other countries. Personally, I have no problem at all as I am lucky enough to be a producer of packages and professional sets myself (at Korg). But it is completely unimaginable to me when, for example, I took Genos in my hands for the first time (in 2018) and to my great surprise I found that even an octave that someone wants to change to a sound of the style (the simplest thing), has to turn the style into a midi file, take a picture of it in a daw (Cubase, etc.) change the octave he wants through the midi sequence, re-export the midi file, convert it back to a style (.STY) import again to the instrument and alas if there was a separate major and minor version in some Intro or Ending.. We are talking about a real (headache) that requires third-party software in a really, complicated way. And I would like to ask you if you see all this (normally). Anyway, I don't see them as normal or logical either.
You will also ask me why I kept Genos and why I am still working on it? I won't hide from you that I have thought too many times to sell it, but the main reason is that I have not yet prepared the Event for my personal needs because it requires a lot of time. It took Genos two years to complete the work I wanted for my personal package, which of course we must emphasize that the above time was due to the many obstacles from the limited possibilities I mention above, which makes your life difficult and particularly demanding a lot of time and effort. I hope the company will see these at some point because if they want to it is very easy (not to say ridiculously easy) for a company (colossus) like Yamaha.
I should finally clarify that in my personal package that I have created for my needs in Genos, it does not require extensive musical needs like those I mentioned above (because I play in hotels) so I need some much simpler and not complex Greek styles as well as some international styles which I have specially created based on my taste.

Cool story bro.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline ton37

« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »

Cool story bro.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Despite your well-founded counter arguments, I disagree with you  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2023, 06:40:32 PM »

Yamaha has the best sounds but the Korg has more functions and truly awesome possibilities.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2023, 10:48:24 PM »
Hello Donny, absolutely great you mentioned this as its a feature I do use occasionally & the results are superb. It's great for mixing a Pop style with Latins, or Ballads with Dance it really works very well. You do have to experiment a bit as you can't just pick any old style and smash them together, it's really more suitable if you find songs that you can play to more than one type of musical style, then it really shines switching between both. Great feature indeed.

Yes, the dual style player *was* worthless at launch because it wasn't tempo synched. But now that you can tempo sync it with the big update, it *is* like crossfading 2 dj tracks. Not a feature I'd use often, but it's actually kinda neat now :)

Mark

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2023, 05:24:29 AM »
Yes, the dual style player *was* worthless at launch because it wasn't tempo synched. But now that you can tempo sync it with the big update, it *is* like crossfading 2 dj tracks. Not a feature I'd use often, but it's actually kinda neat now :)

Mark

Hi Mark,

That’s not quite true, for me it was always fine and worked in synch from day one. I bought the Pa5x from launch with the first OS release as well. The button combination to get the tempo in synch changed in the latest OS release to make it easier but it was always there. If you check Bonners demo of the Pa5x from 10 months ago you can see Tony demonstrating this feature before the OS update.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #166 on: May 27, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »
Hi Mark,

That’s not quite true, for me it was always fine and worked in synch from day one. I bought the Pa5x from launch with the first OS release as well. The button combination to get the tempo in synch changed in the latest OS release to make it easier but it was always there. If you check Bonners demo of the Pa5x from 10 months ago you can see Tony demonstrating this feature before the OS update.

I'd already seen the video you were talking about before (I assume this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRS9DzxwBmE

That's *not* tempo sync. At around 20:25, he *manually* had to set the tempo of style 2 to correspond to style 1. The number of customers who tried it out and were gobsmacked when I told them they had to "sync" it manually. Imagine if you told a DJ he had to stop 1 song, change the tempo manually to match the other song and then play them together?

I didn't mean the syncro start, I meant the fact that if I then switched again I'd have to stop the 2nd style, manually adjust the tempo to match the first, then play again. That's just silly. Some customers refused to believe me they'd launch the feature so broken, and I showed them videos showing that they had to do it manually, and they just couldn't believe it. However, as soon as Korg announced tempo sync as a new feature, I let people know, and once I updated the OS it was very usable.

Now you can set tempo lock, and on the fly change style 1 or 2 and it will all sync up. Now it's pretty neat!

Offline robinez

« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2023, 08:34:54 PM »
There is a lot of debat about the korg pa5x pianos, some people are hating the sound and others do really like them. I really like them, i have the same pianos in my korg kronos and i always wished to have them available in a Keyboard so that i can use them with styles. And now I can.

I've created a demo of the factory sounds, my own sounds and the last part is a tutorial about how to create those sounds yourself. So hopefully someone over here can use it.

The video can be found over here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LlXLDaTRNg

Korg Pa5x - Piano demos and tutorial keyboard sets
In this tutorial I will show some of the factory pianos, my own versions of the factory pianos and I will explain how to create your own piano keyboard sets and how to alter the piano sounds.

Topics
00:00 Factory pianos
03:32 Demo: my own piano keyboard sets
16:15 Tutorial: how to create your own piano keyboard sets
31:14 Outro

Timetable:
--------------
Factory Pianos
00:00 - 03:32

00:00 demo: Time
00:53 austrian piano
01:25 resonance demo
02:18 how to solve the resonance

--------------------------------
Demo: my own piano keyboard sets
03:32 - 16:15

03:32 explanation
04:06 demo: Austrian Pianos
06:49 demo: German Pianos
08:34 demo: Italian Pianos
11:51 demo: Japan Pianos
13:38 demo: Neo Soul Electric Pianos
14:42 demo: Time

----------------------------------------------------
Tutorial: how to create your own piano keyboard sets
16:15 - 31:57

16:15 explanation
17:18 mixer, insert and master fx
18:35 EQ basics
21:54 removing hammer noises with filters
24:10 ambient reverb settings
27:18 pad sounds beneath a piano (tips and tricks)
31:16 outro

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot, Del B, MadrasGiaguari, Roshure

Offline robinez

« Reply #168 on: July 16, 2023, 07:53:38 PM »
For the people that are interested in this,
I've created a Korg Pa5x Style demo with 100 songs in 25 minutes (to get an impression how they sound, around 90 of them are factory styles). The song list is in the description of the video.

What I also did is adding 3 yamaha genos styles to the pa5x, it takes about 5 minutes to convert any yamaha genos style to a pa5x style. In this video the following songs are yamaha genos songs wich I converted:
- Chiquitita
- Black Velvet
- Shakatak Mashup
- Higher Grounds (stevie wonder) was created from a midi file on the pa5x.

It's extremely easy to create new styles for the pa5x (i have a tutorial for this on my youtube channel for those who are interested in this procedure).

you can find the style demo here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krORek_EF3g

The following users thanked this post: Charlie Love, loendersloot, Bill, Gunnar Jonny, Roshure

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2023, 12:30:05 AM »
....the korg pa5x pianos....the last part is a tutorial about how to create those sounds yourself. So hopefully someone over here can use it....

14:42 demo: Time

Qui,

Coincidentally, I had been watching your PA5X piano sets video several times this weekend, not realizing you were also on this forum. The PA5X pianos sound great, especially the “QR German Piano Magic” you feature in the opening segment playing the Hans Zimmer piece and then again 14 minutes in. I really liked that ambient background stuff on that particular piano.

My question is, most of us here on the Yamaha forum don’t have the PA5X, so was wondering (if you use SX900/Genos) can you make a tutorial on how to get a similar piano sound on the Yamahas? Perhaps there is some way to achieve this with a delay effect on one of the voices. I haven't had success yet.

Also, you mentioned its’s easy to convert Genos to PA5X styles. Has anyone converted PA5X styles to Genos/SX? I did a separate post on this but no one seemed interested. I would like to see the Styles content on this website updated with some fresh content.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 02:25:28 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: kevin.dsouza

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2023, 11:34:47 AM »
..can you make a tutorial on how to get a similar piano sound on the Yamahas?...

hello Rich,
Although question is addressed to robinez, let me share my thoughts about this...
I'm quite sure that one can get similar (almost equal) sound on any decent Yamaha arranger. The only condition is, we must have a good piano voice built-in, or we need to create custom piano voice (if we have the right samples).
Most agree that Pa5X has excellent piano voices built-in and so obviously we need to start with comparable voice on Yamaha.

Genos already has CFX and C7 pianos which are considered as a premium piano voices -the rest is up to editing/adapting the voice to our liking. The result will depend on our skill/knowledge and especially on our patience. To get what we want can't be done in 15 minutes, because there are too many settings we deal with: it can take days. Let me explain... Even if it happens we get desired result in 30min's, when we will listen to that voice again in next day, we will realize it doesn't sound as we thought it does. The thing is, our ears must rest between sound evaluating sessions.

It's more problematic with PSR keyboards (I have SX700) which have embarrassing piano voices built-in. That is, if we start with poor sounding source, we can only get poor sounding result. Here the only solution is to find good piano samples and make a custom voice -that way piano on PSR can sound as good as on TOTL keyboard.

I'm sure that you already know all that.. I'm writing this for general audience  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2023, 02:11:12 PM »
Good points, Bogdan. I might add that the final sound of any sample depends on what speaker system you use. If you're playing your Genos over its own speakers, the parameters would be totally different than if the player was on stage with larger performance speakers.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline robinez

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2023, 05:57:30 PM »
Qui,

Coincidentally, I had been watching your PA5X piano sets video several times this weekend, not realizing you were also on this forum. The PA5X pianos sound great, especially the “QR German Piano Magic” you feature in the opening segment playing the Hans Zimmer piece and then again 14 minutes in. I really liked that ambient background stuff on that particular piano.

My question is, most of us here on the Yamaha forum don’t have the PA5X, so was wondering (if you use SX900/Genos) can you make a tutorial on how to get a similar piano sound on the Yamahas? Perhaps there is some way to achieve this with a delay effect on one of the voices. I haven't had success yet.

Also, you mentioned its’s easy to convert Genos to PA5X styles. Has anyone converted PA5X styles to Genos/SX? I did a separate post on this but no one seemed interested. I would like to see the Styles content on this website updated with some fresh content.

Rich
that piano is really easy to make, it's a blend of a piano and a pad sound. The piano has a specific EQ curve where the low end was removed and some high frequencies through EQ were emphasized. Then the cutoff of the total piano gives it that sound.

This is one of the pianos that absolutely can be created on the Genos, with the CFX or C7 pianos as a base and the cutoff off you can get really close if you blend it with a pad sound in the keyboard set. The genos has less posibilities for sound design but even then, these type of pianos can definitely be done. The genos pianos are high quality so that gives lots of frequencies to play with.

I will think about a tutorial for that, thanks for the suggestion.

your other question is harder. It's hard (not impossible) to create new styles for the yamaha genos. This is because the genos demands some extra blocks with information in them (CASM) and there are some other requirements. The korg is much easier, it only needs a midi file and then basically you are done. It's just a matter of setting the correct labels and import it in the korg pa5x and you are there. The revoicing can entirely be done on the korg pa5x mixer screen, there is no need to do this in event edit mode with program changes or whatsoever.

So converting a yamaha style to a very good sounding pa5x style takes around 5 minutes. 2 minutes for the markers renaming to the korg standard and 3 minutes for the revoicing and then it's converted. So easy to do.

But the other way around, I never tried it because the only CASM tool I found on this forum was based on JRE and I don't want to install that on my pc.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2023, 06:40:21 PM »
Thanks for your responses, Qui. Good info to know about the Korg style conversation issue to Yamaha. There are few style folders available on this forum from the older PA3X model, so I was curious about the 5X.

Regarding the 5X ambient piano you featured, I was particularly interested in the rhythmic echo/delay effect used with the high pitched synth sound that was then layered with the piano. I thought it worked well with the Inception piece. I was not able to find an appropriate preset voice that had that type of waveform to apply effects to. It sounds like something from a Korg Wavestate rather than an arranger. The closest I was able to achieve on the SX was using an Echo insert effect plus heavy Reverb on an electric piano shifted to a higher octave for one of the voice parts.  (I know we are in the Genos section here, but I only have an SX900 right now)

Rich
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:53:25 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline robinez

« Reply #174 on: July 17, 2023, 07:44:36 PM »
Thanks for your responses, Qui. Good info to know about the Korg style conversation issue to Yamaha. There are few style folders available on this forum from the older PA3X model, so I was curious about the 5X.

Regarding the 5X ambient piano you featured, I was particularly interested in the rhythmic echo/delay effect used with the high pitched synth sound that was then layered with the piano. I thought it worked well with the Inception piece. I was not able to find an appropriate preset voice that had that type of waveform to apply effects to. It sounds like something from a Korg Wavestate rather than an arranger. The closest I was able to achieve on the SX was using an Echo insert effect plus heavy Reverb on an electric piano shifted to a higher octave for one of the voice parts.  (I know we are in the Genos section here, but I only have an SX900 right now)

Rich
ah, yes that is a sine sound in wave sequence mode on the pa5x. The korg pa5x has 24 oscillators per sound and you can use them in the same way as a wave sequencer, so they start in the sustain phase of that sound. It's a programming trick in the pa5x synthesizer. That is not possible on the yamaha genos. Maybe when you add a sine sound to one of the upper sounds and then route the arpeggiator to only that one upper slot (there is a genos tutorial for that on my youtube channel) then you can get that looks like it, but in this case it's programmed in the sound by me.

this functionality goes really for on korg keyboards, for instance in this video I created some wavesequences on my korg wavestate, I sampled a few dry notes of that sound and added those samples to my korg pa5x. Then I used those samples to build something similar in the korg synthesizer. In this case I use a granulair effect technique with shimmering pitch notes to achieve this Brian Eno Pad sound. And you can do this all on the korg Pa5X. But in my opinion most keyboard players aren't interested in these kind of explanations how to do it. But i'm using my keyboards this way (also the genos, which you need a different approach to do this like wet FX sampling techniques).

the Brian Eno - An Ending cover can be found here, it's all done in the korg pa5x synthesizer mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6e2XkzcMA

The following users thanked this post: Roshure

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #175 on: July 17, 2023, 09:32:39 PM »
Qui,

Got it, makes sense. I had heard the PA’s had better synthesis and control. That combined with easier ability to convert Yamaha styles to PA5X (not sure how simple that would be for me to do) makes it an intriguing choice perhaps down the road if I want a higher-end arranger with more synthesis control. Also good job on the Brian Eno piece. The movie “28 Days Later” used that piece.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:02:04 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2023, 09:41:55 PM »
hello Rich,
Although question is addressed to robinez, let me share my thoughts about this...

Hi Bogdan.

I appreciate your comments and agree. You can read my further comments with robinez and his responses here. I was clarifying with him that it wasn’t only the Korg PA piano sound I was going for. Rather it was the ambient wave sequence using a sine waveform that worked really well layered with the piano. Yamaha arrangers can’t do this. You can hear this in his YT video, its at the beginning and also 14 min. in:

https://youtu.be/5LlXLDaTRNg

Rich
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:43:09 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2023, 10:05:39 PM »
... But the other way around, I never tried it because the only CASM tool I found on this forum was based on JRE and I don't want to install that on my pc.

Hi robinez,

you can use the free "CasmEdit" (Windows) program by Evgeny Osenenko. The current version is V3.2.6.1. It is compatible to SFF1 and SFF2 (SFF GE) styles. It is a very good program for Style and CASM editing. Also see the attached screenshot.

To download the last version click here:
>>> https://www.mnppsaturn.ru/osenenko/Main_eng.htm

On YouTube:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP1VZffIZRQ&list=PLkuU7i9JjxW5iPA0df1CdYrGmHkIlE62J

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:15:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2023, 10:35:00 PM »
mo with 100 songs in 25 minutes (to get an impression how they sound, around 90 of them are factory styles). The song list is in the description of the video.

What I also did is adding 3 yamaha genos styles to the pa5x, it takes about 5 minutes to convert any yamaha genos style to a pa5x style. In this video the following songs are yamaha genos songs wich I converted:
- Chiquitita
- Black Velvet
- Shakatak Mashup
- Higher Grounds (stevie wonder) was created from a midi file on the pa5x.

It's extremely easy to create new styles for the pa5x (i have a tutorial for this on my youtube channel for those who are interested in this procedure).

How do you convert Yamaha .sty to PA5x style?? I know you said it's on your channel, but all I found was midi to style (which is built into the PA series since the PA4x) and demos of converted styles, but not actually *how* to convert them?

thanks,

Mark

Offline robinez

« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2023, 10:46:30 PM »
How do you convert Yamaha .sty to PA5x style?? I know you said it's on your channel, but all I found was midi to style (which is built into the PA series since the PA4x) and demos of converted styles, but not actually *how* to convert them?

It is the same process as i've shown in my how to create styles in Cubase video (see the link at the bottom of this post). The only thing you have to do now is to rename the <yamaha style name>.sty file to <yamaha style name>.mid and then do the remapping and revoicing as described in that tutorial.

there are some things that you need to do to make the conversion perfect, but these are so obvious that i think most people can figure them out on their own.

But there are multiple requests for it, so probably I will create a youtube tutorial for it.

On the pa5x there is no creator bot in the current os, that will come in 2024. But for now you can use the method as described in my tutorial below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PP4o0cdE0

« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2023, 12:16:24 AM »
Hi Qui, the Genos styles you’re referring too as being able to be converted in a matter of minutes, are they “user “ styles you’ve created yourself for Genos, or Genos Factory Styles ?

Basically I haven’t had too many problems converting early ssf1 psr styles across to Korg, but,  trying to convert some  of my Sx900 factory styles across to Korg is proving to be far more difficult  ie incompatible drum kits, program changes within a style track, incompatible voices,  basically problems that early psr styles did not have.

Love to know if you’ve come up with a solution for some of the problems with newer model factory styles if that’s the type of styles you’re referring too. 😀
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2023, 09:16:14 AM »
...the ambient wave sequence using a sine waveform that worked really well layered with the piano. Yamaha arrangers can’t do this...
hi Rich,
Yes, I listened that particular part at 14th min. and I agree that it sounds very interesting. However I disagree that we can't get similar result on Yamaha.
I have no knowledge about Pa5x and so I might be wrong... but from what I see on video, I think that sine sequence padding isn't part of the voice: it's a style (or pad) playing it. And if I'm right on that, then the question is, can we create similar style on Yamaha? I haven't tried, but I'm sure we can. And because that sine pattern is used as padding, maybe we should actually create a pad. On SX700, there's a pad Chillout (in section Arranger1)... try PAD-1 and you will hear what I mean.

I can sense that robinez is quite passionate about his keyboard and we can hear the result of that. I imagine that many things are easier to accomplish on Pa5X (for those who know how to do it!), but many times similar can also be done on Yamaha (again, if we know how to).

Here I will borrow Chris's (overover) signature:
They always said: "This is not possible!" - Then someone came and ... just did it!

Bogdan

Offline mikf

« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2023, 10:13:38 AM »
These voices are interesting but hardly piano sounds anymore. You can get roughly similar results on rh voices by layering, but of course, these cannot be used in styles. But then I have to ask myself how many people would feel it necessary to go to these lengths to alter a style voice. Especially bearing in mind you can add pad voices to a style anyway. And to create so many just in case you might one day find one of them useful in a style??
I guess for some people this kind of innovative voice creation is almost an end in itself, so whatever floats your boat! I just can’t imagine though that the ability to do or not do this kind of voice manipulation is going to drive the keyboard choice for 99% plus of buyers.
Mike

Offline robinez

« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2023, 11:13:13 AM »
These voices are interesting but hardly piano sounds anymore. You can get roughly similar results on rh voices by layering, but of course, these cannot be used in styles. But then I have to ask myself how many people would feel it necessary to go to these lengths to alter a style voice. Especially bearing in mind you can add pad voices to a style anyway. And to create so many just in case you might one day find one of them useful in a style??
I guess for some people this kind of innovative voice creation is almost an end in itself, so whatever floats your boat! I just can’t imagine though that the ability to do or not do this kind of voice manipulation is going to drive the keyboard choice for 99% plus of buyers.
Mike

I agree with you, for most keyboard players this is totally not interesting at all that you can change sounds. But there is a group keyboard users (i know quite a lot of them) that are really enjoying that their keyboard is also capable of adding their own sounds and sound changes.

The Genos can do it through YEM and the korg has an open system where you can change almost anything on the keyboards itself. But it's possible for both keyboards.

And to proove that you can do it on the yamaha genos too, here is a song cover from above and beyond i made on my yamaha genos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kef2qOquHzI

Offline robinez

« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2023, 11:24:05 AM »
Hi Qui, the Genos styles you’re referring too as being able to be converted in a matter of minutes, are they “user “ styles you’ve created yourself for Genos, or Genos Factory Styles ?

Basically I haven’t had too many problems converting early ssf1 psr styles across to Korg, but,  trying to convert some  of my Sx900 factory styles across to Korg is proving to be far more difficult  ie incompatible drum kits, program changes within a style track, incompatible voices,  basically problems that early psr styles did not have.

Love to know if you’ve come up with a solution for some of the problems with newer model factory styles if that’s the type of styles you’re referring too. 😀

styles that are using program changes in one style track are problematic to convert indeed. I didn't came across such a style, but probably there are a few that do that. These can be converted with some extra programming, but in general when revoicing on the korg pa5x you are completely disabling the program changes in a track automatically.

Another thing that i saw when converting some of the more recent styles on the genos is that they are using a trick where they are using up till 16 midi channels where they in fact are using only 8 channels. They split up the low end of the chord / sequences and combine them with the upper part of the chord / sequence. It's easy to recognise because they are routed to the same sound in different channels. The way to solve this is to merge the two midi tracks to one. In cubase this is easy, just drag the part of 1 track on top of the other and they are merged.

But these things are very rare. Most styles are using a very standard setup and it's just a matter of renaming the labels and change 2 midi channel assignments, the revoicing can be done on the pa5x itself and that's all.

And it goes really quick, i'm amazed that the internet isn't full of converted styles because it's so easy to do. Yesterday i converted for instance: Sunhine reggae, Easy lover, Crocket's theme and Disco Inferno. That was done within 20 minutes and i had four new songstyles on the pa5x.

But i will create a youtube tutorial for it this weekend to show how to do it.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2023, 11:34:44 AM »
...And to create so many just in case you might one day find one of them useful in a style??...
-agree.
But I think knowing these things ("how to do it"), is good in case we are into creating custom styles/pads/voices. That is, if we wish to play particular music as close to original as possible, or if we produce our own music.

...I just can’t imagine though that the ability to do or not do this kind of voice manipulation is going to drive the keyboard choice for 99% plus of buyers.
You might be wrong on that. It's the first impression that usually matters -which is the reason why professional musicians are hired to demonstrate new keyboard. When we look/listen to demo, we are impressed by result in first place and less on playing skill. Hired player actually many times demonstrates the playing as "everyone can do that" -to convince average Joe to buy the keyboard.
Similar happens in case of robinez demonstration of that particular piano sound: "sounds great.. never heard that before.. and so simple... that's my next keyboard".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Pa5X (which is on my wish list). I'm just saying that many times we're not aware what we can do on keyboard that we have.

Bogdan

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2023, 06:14:20 PM »
hi Rich,
Yes, I listened that particular part at 14th min. and I agree that it sounds very interesting. However I disagree that we can't get similar result on Yamaha...

Bogdan,
I agree with you again. There’s no question that Yamahas sound great. I’ve only had the SX900 for a few months but Yamaha certainly gives us several options to tinker with sounds and effects, including as you mentioned, Multipads. I will check out that chillout Multipad, and yes, Styles is another way to get there, though I don’t think robinez used a style in his particular piece. His Genos video posted here today is certainly interesting, he uses a style in that one.

To MikeF’s point that 99% of keyboardists may not be looking for this level of sound manipulation. I think that should be revised to 99% of arranger keyboard players. Then there’s people like me who appreciate arrangers but sometimes want to cross over into messing around with more synth control. Maybe this dual interest is a smaller number of players for sure, but Korg obviously thinks there’s a market for it based on the control they put into the PA5X. Another option is just get a Korg Wavestate and use it with the Yamaha arranger.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:42:01 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2023, 06:37:43 AM »
styles that are using program changes in one style track are problematic to convert indeed. I didn't came across such a style, but probably there are a few that do that. These can be converted with some extra programming, but in general when revoicing on the korg pa5x you are completely disabling the program changes in a track automatically.

Another thing that i saw when converting some of the more recent styles on the genos is that they are using a trick where they are using up till 16 midi channels where they in fact are using only 8 channels. They split up the low end of the chord / sequences and combine them with the upper part of the chord / sequence. It's easy to recognise because they are routed to the same sound in different channels. The way to solve this is to merge the two midi tracks to one. In cubase this is easy, just drag the part of 1 track on top of the other and they are merged.

But these things are very rare. Most styles are using a very standard setup and it's just a matter of renaming the labels and change 2 midi channel assignments, the revoicing can be done on the pa5x itself and that's all.

And it goes really quick, i'm amazed that the internet isn't full of converted styles because it's so easy to do. Yesterday i converted for instance: Sunhine reggae, Easy lover, Crocket's theme and Disco Inferno. That was done within 20 minutes and i had four new songstyles on the pa5x.

But i will create a youtube tutorial for it this weekend to show how to do it.

Hi Qui,
thank you,
I’m going to have to change the music genres I play, haha. The styles I like to play  seem to be the ones that aren’t easy to convert.
Animation Fantasy , uses   2 different bass voices in intro 3. Changes from one instrument to the other in the middle of intro. Suppose just a case of compromise, pick an instrument that sounds ok throughout. 😀

Nowadays I only do the ones I desperately need. Fortunately with the 1.2 update my old  style conversions are finally playing back correctly ,  was dreading that I might have to redo them. 🥺

A tutorial would be great for users.

I’m still using xgworks for my conversions. Good enough for my purposes. Saves learning something new.😀

Thank you
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2023, 09:54:53 AM »
Bogdan,
I agree with you again. There’s no question that Yamahas sound great. I’ve only had the SX900 for a few months but Yamaha certainly gives us several options to tinker with sounds and effects, including as you mentioned, Multipads. I will check out that chillout Multipad, and yes, Styles is another way to get there, though I don’t think robinez used a style in his particular piece. His Genos video posted here today is certainly interesting, he uses a style in that one.

you are correct about this, the Time demo was to show how the piano would sound in a complete song, that Time backing track i've created in Ableton, where i played a complete ambient version of that song and transfered that to the pa5x.

The Genos demo from above and beyond was played with a style. There I used the style, piano sound, pad sound and a multipad that adds the solo voice to that part of the song.

The most interesting piano in that pa5x demo was the Ocean piano in my opinion, that piano uses a General midi SFX sound (ocean) where i added a specific ADSR pattern on top of it drowned in a reverb. As you may know i'm a huge ambient sound fan and this is the kind of pianos i used the most.

The sine addons are also something I really like (listen for instance to Cosmic baby songs on youtube, these are all based on sine beeps and a mixture of ambient and Classical influences). In the pa5x you can easily create your own Sine based Arpeggiator patterns, just press record new pad and play your new arpeggiator and save it to your custom library. Then you can use it whenever you want and this way you can have access to 4 arpeggiators at the same time and you can assign 20 arpeggiators to a song to choose from as long as you don't use more than 4 arps at the same time. Extremely powerful.

Here is an example of a pa5x style where i added a custom sine based beep arpeggiator to the style with that method. It a cover of the song Resurrection from PPK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RIUza4p7rM

The following users thanked this post: Roshure, p$manK32

« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2023, 04:35:20 PM »
I have both keyboards my overall impression is previous Korg owners can`t accept this is a totally new format and as such needs to looked at as such.
The genos led in terms of modern styles the Korg a richer sound.
My daughter commented that the Genos sounded like it was recorded in a studio Where as the Korg sounds live.
Some of the work done by Robinez and chello set it apart from the genos.
Ease of use is similar if your prepared to do your homework.
The Korg overall is better for now, but we will se how Yamaha responds.
One thing however that may make a decision is, Genos follows the previous generations in how to do things. The Korg does not, so you have to start learning from scratch and as we get older were not prepared to do the hard yards so Yamaha will appeal to more people

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny, Roshure

Offline robinez

« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2023, 11:04:37 PM »
Korg Pa5X tutorial: Convert Yamaha styles to Korg styles

I have a Genos and a Pa5x, so I thought it was a good idea to create a tutorial how to convert Yamaha styles to Korg.

In this video I will show you how easy it is to convert Yamaha styles to full Korg Pa5X styles (works also the same on the korg pa4x).

We will take a Yamaha song style and convert that in realtime to a Korg song style.

timetable
00:00 DEMO: See See Rider
00:32 converting a yamaha style to korg
04:10 setting the correct korg labels
07:30 export to a korg midi file
09:00 create the style on the korg Pa5X
13:47 mixing stage: modify the levels and effects
18:22 DEMO: end result

You can find the tutorial over here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYeas-GcTpM

The following users thanked this post: Bill, Gunnar Jonny, Roshure

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2023, 11:47:42 PM »
The sine addons are also something I really like (listen for instance to Cosmic baby songs on youtube, these are all based on sine beeps and a mixture of ambient and Classical influences). In the pa5x you can easily create your own Sine based Arpeggiator patterns...

The sine beep voice is an interesting accent to the piano. I just wanted to point out that the SX900 does not seem to have any sine patches like that, unless I missed it. But I also have the Dreamscapes pack and found a voice in it called “Sine Lead” that was somewhat close to your sine sound.

Bogdan was correct in his earlier comment in this thread in that you can create something like this on Yamaha. I was able to record a simple multipad phrase using this sine lead and it works nicely as a background element to an ambient piano along with an appropriate ambient style. I suspect it’s easier to do this via the Yamaha multipad versus attempting to do a wave sequence on a PA5X, which I have no experience doing. I am however getting a frustrating few seconds gap of silence when the looped multipad plays back, and not sure how to fix that. Perhaps I am not doing the record and stop procedure correctly.

Rich
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:50:25 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline robinez

« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2023, 07:57:53 AM »
The sine beep voice is an interesting accent to the piano. I just wanted to point out that the SX900 does not seem to have any sine patches like that, unless I missed it. But I also have the Dreamscapes pack and found a voice in it called “Sine Lead” that was somewhat close to your sine sound.

Bogdan was correct in his earlier comment in this thread in that you can create something like this on Yamaha. I was able to record a simple multipad phrase using this sine lead and it works nicely as a background element to an ambient piano along with an appropriate ambient style. I suspect it’s easier to do this via the Yamaha multipad versus attempting to do a wave sequence on a PA5X, which I have no experience doing. I am however getting a frustrating few seconds gap of silence when the looped multipad plays back, and not sure how to fix that. Perhaps I am not doing the record and stop procedure correctly.

Rich

it's easy to create a sine based beep sound from your sine lead, just go to sound edit mode and lower the sustain and release. With the decay you can set the length of the sine beep.

the gap of silence is probably caused by the cv length. Set the length accordingly to your pattern. Or you can cut parts out of your cv length in the edit menu.

The following users thanked this post: Roshure, p$manK32

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2023, 05:14:24 PM »
As topic title says: "If you're considering buying a Korg Pa5x"...
I saw Pa5X (61keys) in my local store and even I was extremely in hurry, I couldn't resist not to take a look on it. A guy there was very friendly and even I told him I'm in hurry (only taking a peek), he fired it on and so I spent there about 15min's... which means, that's not even a first impression. But still it it was impression enough and maybe worth to share that with those who are "considering" and don't have a chance to put hands on it. Btw. they also have Korg Pa1000 and complete current Yamaha arranger line.

Visually looks Pa5X darn good and gives a higher class impression (wooden side panels give that little extra). If comparing to Genos... Let me put this way: when Genos was introduced, it had very specific design, which was kinda standing out among other keyboards. The problem is (I think), design was too much different and because of that it ages very fast. And in a few years, it can happen it will be seen... as oldtimer. On the other hand, Tyros still looks good after all these years -because of it's normal design.

Keybed.. At starting playing I noticed immediately that keys are (much) wider and that can be a problem for those coming from Yamaha -yes, it happened to me I missed the keys because of that. I assume keys have width of Classical piano and so that's actually good news for real pianists. Anyway, I'm sure that after certain time one can adapt to new width.
Next thing that surprised me, is the fact that keys are much harder to press than on my SX700 and also harder than on Genos. No, they don't have hammer feel or similar -they're just harder to push. To be honest, as an amateur, I prefer the lighter key feel on my SX700. My personal verdict (by keeping in mind that we don't only play piano voice): among arrangers, Genos has the best keybed feel. Sidenote: keybed on Korg Pa1000 is just terrible (it feels very cheap).

As I mentioned, I only spent about 15min's behind Pa5X (playing piano voices) and so I can't talk about sound (voices) quality. I never tried Genos and so my comparison is related to PSR keyboards. Pianos on Pa5X sound very good and much better than pianos built in PSR's -but then, that shouldn't surprise anyone. I think Japanese grand piano used in Pa5X sounds very similar to Yamaha CFX (or C7), so here Pa5X and Genos might be equal. But Pa5X has an edge still: it has actually more pianos (Austrian, German, etc.) built-in and not only different settings of the same samples.

My summary... current prices now are about 3800€ for Genos (incl. speakers) and 4200€ for Pa5X. There can be no doubt that Pa5X is technically better. But is also quite different and so there are things where one need to adapt. That's also true for those coming from Korg midrange keyboard series (here I have keybed in mind). But then, adaptation will probably (hopefully) be also needed if/when Yamaha introduces Genos successor.
In short: If it would be possible right now, I would get Pa5X without thinking twice.
Disclaimer: I have a right to change my mind anytime in future  ;)

Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline robinez

« Reply #194 on: August 10, 2023, 07:53:23 AM »

Keybed.. At starting playing I noticed immediately that keys are (much) wider and that can be a problem for those coming from Yamaha -yes, it happened to me I missed the keys because of that. I assume keys have width of Classical piano and so that's actually good news for real pianists. Anyway, I'm sure that after certain time one can adapt to new width.
Next thing that surprised me, is the fact that keys are much harder to press than on my SX700 and also harder than on Genos. No, they don't have hammer feel or similar -they're just harder to push. To be honest, as an amateur, I prefer the lighter key feel on my SX700. My personal verdict (by keeping in mind that we don't only play piano voice): among arrangers, Genos has the best keybed feel. Sidenote: keybed on Korg Pa1000 is just terrible (it feels very cheap).

good observation!

This is indeed true, the korg keyboards are using standard width keyboard keys, the yamaha keyboards are using a different form factor, they are smaller then on other keyboards or piano's. I had quite some problems on the yamaha genos when i started playing on my Genos, i'm so used to the standard width that it took some time to adapt. Also the weight of the key feel is something you never hear from others and this is true, the korg keyboard feel is semi weighted, it's somewhere between the weighted keys of a piano and the light synthesizer key feel. I'm used to it on the korg keyboards and it gives me a lot of dynamic control with the benefits of the light feeling of synthesizer keys. But when I play on my Genos I always hit those keys too hard, so I've used a different velocity curve for the Genos so that my harder hitting won't have that much effect.

So I fully agree with your observations. It takes some time to adapt to both keyboards.

Next time you are testing the korg I would highly suggest to take a look at the styles, they have a very different approach with their styles then yamaha, on the korg keyboards you have to work harder because the styles are more sparse, but it gives you more room to do your own things while playing the styles. It's a matter of preference but this preference is in my opinion the main difference why somebody would choose for a korg or a yamaha.

Korg always gives away quite some new styles, in the latest update they have added 35 new styles (with several famous songstyles from bruno mars and ed sheeran and more). I have a video with those new styles on my channel.

Here you can find it to hear how the new korg styles sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNzB268MDAM

The following users thanked this post: Eric, B, Roshure, BogdanH